DPPt/HGSS The Questions and Answers Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Questions and Answers Thread (All generations, excluding 5th)

iisnumber12 said:
Like a set-up trade with a specific person. Is that possible?

By using Friend Codes, you can use the Wi-Fi room to connect to up to 24 people at one time. The Wi-Fi room allows you to trade and battle.

Does anybody have TM82 Sleep Talk for trade? I don't got much on my Platinum and SoulSilver games since I migrated most of my Pokemon over to my Black game in Gen 5. Hopefully we can work out a deal of some sort.

The Master Wi-Fi thread suffices for 4th Gen trades. -Chariblaze

Migrating is bad since if you start new game on black you loose it all

ThatPokemonCollector said:
Migrating is bad since if you start new game on black you loose it all

Then don't start a new game. Duh.

I always continue to play it and get my Pokémon to level 100 and EV train some. :/

I have a Smeargle. I'm trying to make it abuse Sketch so I have some questions:
(This is in Emerald in case you are wondering)
-If I have a Smeargle and use Sketch for......Giga Drain lets say, and when I win the battle (lololol I'm cocky) and keep the move can I:
- Do I keep the move? I'm pretty sure I do.
- Can I re-learn Sketch via the Move Tutor so that my moveset would be Giga Drain and Sketch?
And another one:
Are there ways to lower speed in Emerald?

-If I have a Smeargle and use Sketch for.....Giga Drain lets say, and when I win the battle (lololol I'm cocky) and keep the move can I:
- Do I keep the move? I'm pretty sure I do.
You most certainly do. Sketch's effect is permanent.

- Can I re-learn Sketch via the Move Tutor so that my moveset would be Giga Drain and Sketch?
Yep.

Are there ways to lower speed in Emerald?
You mean other than Macho Brace and Tamato Berry?

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
You most certainly do. Sketch's effect is permanent.

Yep.

You mean other than Macho Brace and Tamato Berry?

Now to abuse Heart Scales :D
Yeah, I can't find the Macho Brace....
I looked up sketch, and it said it was permanent in some games but not in others.....It did say it would be permanent in Emerald though, so thanks for backing it up.

Yeah, I can't find the Macho Brace....
Go beat up the Winstrates.

I did. I must have accidentally sold it. :p XDXDXDXDXDXD Way back when.....

How exactly does trading work?

1) Can I trade from Red/Blue/Yellow to Gold/Silver/Crystal to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum to Black/White?

2) Can I trade a Pokemon from Cartridge 1 to Cartridge 2 and then back to Cartridge 1? (ex. Trade a Pokemon from Diamond to Pearl and then back to Diamond?).

3) Can I trade a Pokemon backwards? (ex. Trade a Pokemon from HGSS to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?)

If there are any guides that explain this well, would someone mind linking it?

Thanks in advance. I apologize for the newbie questions.

Secret Pikachu said:
1) Can I trade from Red/Blue/Yellow to Gold/Silver/Crystal to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum to Black/White?

You can trade freely within generations; i.e., Red/Blue/Yellow trade together seamlessly. Gold/Silver/Crystal, same. Ruby/Sapphire/FireRed/LeafGreen/Emerald, yup. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver, absolutely. Black/White, naturally. It gets a bit pickier when you go between generations. RBY can trade with GSC, so long as nothing with GSC moves or items is traded. Those two generations are completely separated from every other game, though. RSFRLGE can permanently import their Pokemon to DPPtHGSS, and that generation can do the same to BW.

2) Can I trade a Pokemon from Cartridge 1 to Cartridge 2 and then back to Cartridge 1? (ex. Trade a Pokemon from Diamond to Pearl and then back to Diamond?).

Absolutely, so long as it's in the same generation.

3) Can I trade a Pokemon backwards? (ex. Trade a Pokemon from HGSS to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?)

That's not backwards, as it's in the same generation. But if your example was HGSS to RSFRLGE, then no; the transfer forward is permanent.

Thanks in advance. I apologize for the newbie questions.

Nonsense, newbie questions are the best.

Thank you for the great information! Based on that, you can't trade Pokemon from one generation to the previous generation (except for RBY and GSC)?

Yes, you can trade upwards in Generations (Emerald to Platinum, eg.) but not downwards (Diamond to Ruby)

Secret Pikachu said:
Thank you for the great information! Based on that, you can't trade Pokemon from one generation to the previous generation (except for RBY and GSC)?
That's correct.
Here's a quick rundown. Note that all games in the same generation may trade freely with one another.

Gen 1: RBY
Gen 2: GSC
Gen 3: RSE and FRLG (note, there is a small restriction on trading between FRLG and RSE, but that restriction is removed by doing an in-game sidequest after the National Pokedex is obtained)
Gen 4: DPPt and HGSS
Gen 5: BW1 and BW2

Trading between gens:

RBY can trade with GSC - on the condition that, in the GSC player's party, there are no moves or Pokemon that didn't exist in RBY.
GSC cannot trade forward at all.
RSE and FRLG can trade with each other, but to trade forward, they must use the Pal Park feature, unlocked after beating the Champion in DPPt/HGSS. This is called "migrating". You pick 6 Pokemon and they are sent, one-way, permanently, to the 4th Gen game.
DPPt and HGSS can trade with each other, but to trade forward, they must use the Poke Transfer feature in BW1 and BW2, unlocked after beating the Champion. Again, this is a form of migrating - it is one-way.

~GSC is the only set of games that can trade backwards by a generation.
~When migrating Pokemon, they can't know any HMs. (In migrating to BW, the items will also not be transferred.) Migrating is permanent; you can send them forward, but you cannot send anything backward.

I'm basically just expanding on what was already said.

Thanks everyone!

GSC cannot trade forward? That is unfortunate. Was hoping to find my old Red Version with the Toys R Us event Mew and trade it up to BW! Although I think my Red Version may have been thrown out :(.

The reason GSC can't trade forward is because, starting with RSE, Pokemon data was saved in a completely different manner. DVs were replaced by IVs, stat exp was replaced by EVs, natures were introduced, shininess was based on a whole new number (personality value), which also influenced a few other things as well....and a whole host of other things.

This is the manner in which Pokemon data has continued to exist up until now.

I've got a question of my own. Currently, in Emerald, I am at Sky Pillar, attempting to catch Rayquaza. I always get it to low health, and it breaks out and either:
A: KOs itself from Outrage confusion
B: Defeats my whole team.

My question is, what is the easiest way to catch Rayquaza? Don't suggest the Master Ball, because I already used it on Latios.

Not sure about easiest, going to give you my way:

Somewhat weaken it immediately, down to low orange, I suppose, and then start throwing Ultra Balls. After about 10 of them, bring in the Timer Balls, and try to maintain its health in that range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back