(1) Nintendo 2DS Announced [8/28]

xxashxx said:
Guys if you are having problems with the switch either get a piece of tape and put it over the switch or disable that in Parental controls. Just go to settings then Parental controls and follow the on screen instructions.

Thanks! this might help, I have not played the 3DS so much that I have come to change settings yet, but will do this when 6 gen is out!

This is honestly a great decision. It's clearly aimed at kids because
1. It's cheaper
2. It's one piece so they won't snap it.
3. There's no 3D so it won't harm their eyes.
Plus some people simply don't like 3D or never use it, so why not get this?
If it has Gorilla Glass I will be even more impressed. This is definitely the perfect idea for the demographic it's aimed at.

xxashxx said:
Guys if you are having problems with the switch either get a piece of tape and put it over the switch or disable that in Parental controls. Just go to settings then Parental controls and follow the on screen instructions.

I think you might still be missing the point.
Some people are far too young to use 3D even in the near future (think kids around the age of 5), and some cannot see 3D at all or it gives them more trouble than it's worth (people without stereoscopic vision, people prone to headaches, etc.)
Telling them to just disable the 3D functionality was all well and good before the 2DS was announced because there was no other alternative to playing 3DS games. Now though, you have an alternative that not only doesn't have a function they'll never use, but it's also less expensive. Telling people to just use the more expensive console and to disable the thing that's making it more expensive is rather silly.
It's like if you had a more expensive toaster oven with a special compartment for roasting nuts, but I've got a nut allergy. "Well, just don't use the nut compartment!" Er, no, I think I'll get the cheaper toaster oven that doesn't have the nut compartment :B

This thing seems ok; its a great way to allow kids to use 3DS games without parents worrying about any 3D that may damage their eyes.

I personally might pick one up second-hand for use to trade between myself when I have both Pokemon X/Y, and for any other future uses, but I won't get one in the near future (not before Christmas at least)

I'm probably going for the 3DS so I can blow my mind for a second whenever I feel like blowing my mind for a second.

This is probably me using the 3DS.

woah... Woah... WOAH.... WOAH!!!!

while switching the 3D on and off.

signofzeta said:
I'm probably going for the 3DS so I can blow my mind for a second whenever I feel like blowing my mind for a second.

This is probably me using the 3DS.

woah... Woah... WOAH.... WOAH!!

while switching the 3D on and off.

Lol yeah im the same if it is held at an angle to where it screws with my eyes. :p

This goes to show how irresponsible parents are these days. People don't watch their kids anymore. If they watched their kids the things their kids do can easily be prevented. Like breaking the hinges or accidentally turning on or off the 3D on the regular 3DS. Come on guys use common sense. Nobody uses common sense anymore.:)

Frezgle said:
xxashxx said:

Some people are far too young to use 3D even in the near future (think kids around the age of 5), and some cannot see 3D at all or it gives them more trouble than it's worth (people without stereoscopic vision, people prone to headaches, etc.)
Telling them to just disable the 3D functionality was all well and good before the 2DS was announced because there was no other alternative to playing 3DS games. Now though, you have an alternative that not only doesn't have a function they'll never use, but it's also less expensive. Telling people to just use the more expensive console and to disable the thing that's making it more expensive is rather silly.
It's like if you had a more expensive toaster oven with a special compartment for roasting nuts, but I've got a nut allergy. "Well, just don't use the nut compartment!" Er, no, I think I'll get the cheaper toaster oven that doesn't have the nut compartment :B

Except that the toaster with the nut compartment is more portable, folds up to protect its screens, and fits nicely in a pocket, all things that may attract potential toaster buyers who are allergic to nuts. :p

Tatertot said:
Frezgle said:

Except that the toaster with the nut compartment is more portable, folds up to protect its screens, and fits nicely in a pocket, all things that may attract potential toaster buyers who are allergic to nuts. :p
Oh snap, you win Best Comeback of the Day. There you go.
Anyway this is for certain people and it does no harm to those who aren't those people. But if you are, Nintendo just did you a huge favor. Either you are happy, or apathetic. Pick one because there's no reason to be mad/sad/disappointed.

*looks at the most recent 3 posts*
I love you guys.

On another forum, this came up in the Gamer's Lounge. Everyone says it's a terrible idea, but they forget that it is for younger kids so they won't break it or murder their eyes with the 3D.

I will most likely get this if it´s released in Japan. There are several Japanese 3DS games I want to play, but can´t as I have an European 3DS. I almost never use the 3D function anyways, as it gives me a headache after a short period of time. I do however not like that you can´t snap it close. I can imagine the screen will get scratches easily, and it´s more inconvenient to carry around. Though there is still the fact it´s cheaper than the 3DS XL which is a big plus!

Ulricke said:
I do however not like that you can´t snap it close. I can imagine the screen will get scratches easily

Unless it uses Gorilla Glass in which scratches will be much harder. Plus there are always screen protectors.

Wow, really? I can't believe that they made it like a slate. You can't even put it into your pocket.

If it lands on the end of extension cords though that can cause serious damage. They should have made it to be closeable like a keyboard on a phone. Why did they not make the top screen slide up and down anyway? That would solve the hinge problems but for kids it will not since the pull on things. To be honest if you are under the age of 12 you should not have a DS anyway.:)

xxashxx said:
If it lands on the end of extension cords though that can cause serious damage. They should have made it to be closeable like a keyboard on a phone. Why did they not make the top screen slide up and down anyway? That would solve the hinge problems but for kids it will not since the pull on things. To be honest if you are under the age of 12 you should not have a DS anyway.:)
>___>
What?

+

There is only one screen because it costs less to make.

+

Only 12 plus should have a DS = W. T. F.

I was stoked until I saw that it doesn't slide up or fold. But, I think I will still be getting this over the 3DS simply because of value.

xxashxx said:
Nintendo would lose half its customers if this was true. Besides, I'm turning 12 this year and I haven't broken any of my consoles/handhelds.

Back