(1) Nintendo 2DS Announced [8/28]

xxashxx said:
If it lands on the end of extension cords though that can cause serious damage. They should have made it to be closeable like a keyboard on a phone. Why did they not make the top screen slide up and down anyway? That would solve the hinge problems but for kids it will not since the pull on things. To be honest if you are under the age of 5 you should not have a DS anyway.:)

Fixed it for you.:D

I don't have 3DS yet, but I know I'm not getting this, as I want the XL and this looks regular sized and what's worse, is you can't even adjust the upper screen. :( I don't think a completely flat surface for both screens will be all that good for kids, either...

xxashxx said:
If it lands on the end of extension cords though that can cause serious damage. They should have made it to be closeable like a keyboard on a phone. Why did they not make the top screen slide up and down anyway? That would solve the hinge problems but for kids it will not since the pull on things. To be honest if you are under the age of 12 you should not have a DS anyway.:)

I honestly have no clue what you're trying to imply, that it should have a hinge? And why? What hinge does it have to have a hinge problem in the first place, your ideal one?

I am trying to be honest with you, I don't think you understand the market this is for or why it's necessary.

I actually know a family who has 3 elementary-school age children, between ages 6 and 11. They only have one 3DS, that they share between them. The two older ones actually have to wear prescription glasses, so I'm pretty sure they can't use the 3D, not without severe eye strain.

I have a feeling that the 2DS will be very welcome for them.

The reason is because if it is not closed you can actually do more damaged if dropped or even if it get stepped on and also if dropped just right you can damage the buttons and other things on it. To be honest kids under 12 cannot handle things right and cannot understand somethings because even at 12 they are still learning how to do things and learn responsibility. They are not responsible enough until 12. That is why I said the age of 12 and not the age of 5. You must understand I come from a family that uses logical ideas and responsibility. I have most of the smarts in my family. If you guys knew where I come from you would understand my logic as well XD.:)

There is a problem we hadn't anticipated, it seems.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...s-masterstroke-that-hurts-existing-3ds-owners

I agree completely with the article, I love the 3d feature, even if it's not easy to play with. Nintendo has always been the best at making games for their own hardware, but by splitting the market, developers will have second thoughts about designing a game around 3d capabilities, and that might apply even to nintendo itself.

xxashxx said:
To be honest kids under 12 cannot handle things right and cannot understand somethings because even at 12 they are still learning how to do things and learn responsibility. They are not responsible enough until 12.
I really don't see how you think that children under the age of 12 can't be responsible. I know plenty of kids that age who are very levelheaded and careful with their expensive electronics. And besides, there's no reason to deprive them of their games even if they aren't as careful; it's their system after all, and if they end up breaking it, then it's all up to them.

Anyway, I will be getting the 2DS simply because it's cheaper, and the 3D function has never quite appealed to me. Heck, the only reason I'm getting it in the first place is because it's the only way to play X and Y, and the latest Professor Layton games. I've been using my old DSLite for everything else up to now.

TwistedTurtwig said:
xxashxx said:
To be honest kids under 12 cannot handle things right and cannot understand somethings because even at 12 they are still learning how to do things and learn responsibility. They are not responsible enough until 12.
I really don't see how you think that children under the age of 12 can't be responsible. I know plenty of kids that age who are very levelheaded and careful with their expensive electronics. And besides, there's no reason to deprive them of their games even if they aren't as careful; it's their system after all, and if they end up breaking it, then it's all up to them.

Actually the parents are usually the ones paying for the system, and I don't think they'd like their money going to waste.

Ohman177 said:
TwistedTurtwig said:

Actually the parents are usually the ones paying for the system, and I don't think they'd like their money going to waste.

True but if their kid breaks it they probably should'nt have it especially since we have had hinged game systems for a while now.

Ohman177 said:
TwistedTurtwig said:

Where I work, we always try to convince the costumers to make some sort of insurance on handheld consoles precisely because of that! xD It covers theft, accidental breakage and liquid spillage for 1 or 2 years. It also has an International coverage so it's always a good thing to consider and it's really not that expensive. The repairing expenses are all paid and if it isn't economically viable for the company, they will give you a brand-new console instead.
When it comes to expensive electronics for little kids, prevention is always better than the cure. =P

PS: I'm aware it almost sounds like I'm making publicity for the company but since I didn't mention the name... O=)

xxashxx said:
The reason is because if it is not closed you can actually do more damaged if dropped or even if it get stepped on and also if dropped just right you can damage the buttons and other things on it.

My DS Lite probably fell down from some place when I wasn't around. Guess what broke. The stupid hinge. Sleep mode doesn't work now and when its open its actually tilted a bit over 180 degrees which kinda sucks lol.

Not having the 3d is the only bad thing about this to me. Who cares what its design is, I'm not gonna go into a restaurant and scratch the screens with forks in public or whatever wacky scenarios other people have where a handheld with hinge would survive but one without would break. xDDD

xxashxx said:
The reason is because if it is not closed you can actually do more damaged if dropped or even if it get stepped on and also if dropped just right you can damage the buttons and other things on it. To be honest kids under 12 cannot handle things right and cannot understand somethings because even at 12 they are still learning how to do things and learn responsibility. They are not responsible enough until 12. That is why I said the age of 12 and not the age of 5. You must understand I come from a family that uses logical ideas and responsibility. I have most of the smarts in my family. If you guys knew where I come from you would understand my logic as well XD.:)
I have just turned 12 this May. I have had a 3DS and a DS Lite since the Christmases after their respective releases, and both are in perfect working condition. The only damage done to either system is no more than small scratches or scuffs on the outside. This isn't restricted to myself, either- do you know how many young kids, no older than 7 at most, I've seen who have treated their DSs with more care than most teenagers and adults treat their phones? Maybe iPhones and iPads aren't as costly as my irresponsible and immature little 12-year-old mind makes them out to be. Maybe the teenagers and adults in my area are all clumsy or careless fools. Maybe the kids in my area have been raised with a sense of responsibility and nowhere else. It's quite possible I'm the idiot in this situation, but it doesn't make any sense to me to be biased against the possibility that a younger kid can't take care of his or her belongings. I'm not implying that your point has no merit whatsoever, as not all kids can really grasp the concept of responsibility at an early age. My problem with what you're saying is that you can't seem to accept the fact that there are a plethora of children who are more responsible than some adults.
On the subject of the 2DS, I'm happy that there is a more child-friendly and cost-efficient option to play 3DS games. Releasing the systems on the same day as Pokemon X and Y was an ingenious move on Nintendo's part, as many players didn't want to have to shell out 170 dollars for a 3DS just for X and Y, and this will probably encourage kids to get the Pokemon games for their new 2DSs. The release time for them was good as well, because the holidays are just around the corner.

Unless you have someone in your family that works there. I have had that warranty for about 25 years. even on my older systems they are still covered because one of my older brothers still works there XD.:)

That's a fair point, but it's unlikely that everyone has a relative working at the place you got it. Even if they did, I still don't see the point in being careless with your phone or other item. Anyway, if you want to carry this conversation on, let's take it to PMs or profile comments to avoid clogging up this thread. I feel we've wandered from the topic about the 2DS to which age group can properly take care of an electronic device. :)

Wow 9Tailz your vocabulary and grammar is just so magnificent compared to other 12 year olds. I would of guessed you were around 17 if you hadn't said your age haha.

Anyway, on to the topic. I'm indifferent towards the idea. It's not like I'm gonna get it anyways but it's a pretty neat idea I guess since it does target the younger audience. The design is like whatever. I mean, it's not like you're going to be focusing on that while you're playing x and y or any other games so idk why people are complaining. Having no hinges is a good thing I think since if it falls, it won't snap in half.

9Tailz said:
That's a fair point, but it's unlikely that everyone has a relative working at the place you got it. Even if they did, I still don't see the point in being careless with your phone or other item. Anyway, if you want to carry this conversation on, let's take it to PMs or profile comments to avoid clogging up this thread. I feel we've wandered from the topic about the 2DS to which age group can properly take care of an electronic device. :)

Nah I think we have covered our basis or grounds for now. I just hope the 2DS holds up. I don't think it is worth it. Just my opion though. No worries. It's all good. Thanks XD.:)

I think all PCs, Macs, and whatnot, should be 25 and up, and nobody under that age should be using computers. Do you know how many viruses people download from watching things that they shouldn't be watching?

What I don't like about the 2DS, assuming it is the same size of a spread open normal 3DS, is that it won't fit into my pants pocket. Even the original gameboy can at least go in partway into my pants pocket.

I think all PCs, Macs, and whatnot, should be 25 and up, and nobody under that age should be using computers.
Right, because everyone over 25 has enough common sense to use computers, and nobody under that age does.

As someone who has been using computers responsibly since the age of 6, and the Internet since the age of 13, I find this rather offensive.

DNA said:
I think all PCs, Macs, and whatnot, should be 25 and up, and nobody under that age should be using computers.
Right, because everyone over 25 has enough common sense to use computers, and nobody under that age does.

As someone who has been using computers responsibly since the age of 6, and the Internet since the age of 13, I find this rather offensive.

I don't think you understand.

Let's just say I was too late to the party.

Back