(1) Nintendo 2DS Announced [8/28]

Your Master said:
I honestly like the design and price. I sold my 3ds xl, but I might get this because I like the shape and I want x/y. You all are complaining about it getting damaged, but you could be careful with it and you play with other devices like iPads and what not that don't fold. I will probably pick one up just for x/y and ssb3d. I always thought the 3d aspect was idiotic.

No it is just hard to look at the 3d because it has to be at a set distance from you. Plus some games are awesome in 3D lik Ocarina of time. Atleast IMO

don()shinobi said:
I still clearly remember the day that I was at the outlet mall with my aunt and her son. We saw this stupid 6-year-old kid was holding an opened DSi XL...and shaking it back and forth violently as the mother did nothing about it (the system wasn't even on). Then the top screen snapped off, the kid cried, and the mother had no idea whatsoever how it happened.

I like the idea of this thing--it's idiot-proof.

They'll still manage to find a way to break it, though.

It's a gigantic version of the original Gameboy, with more upgrades.
Well now parents won't have to worry about their kids having eye strains or something medical....or dangerous....
I've actually had a couple of my friends complain a bit on how the 3DS makes their eyes water.
Not me....I'm immune to 3D.
So yeah, I'm sticking with my 3DS. This still is a good idea though!
Yay Nintendo!

CMP said:
Probably would've bought this (as I don't have a 3DS and the 3D just doesn't interest me), but alas, it doesn't fold. As DNA said, I'd be worried about it getting damaged.

Great idea, not-as-great execution.

I'm with you, I have zero interest in 3D and wanted something sleeker than the standard 3ds but more compact than the XL. Had this folded i would have been extremely excited and purchased one at launch. As it stands I'll have to miss out on X/Y until a 3DS i want to own is released.

Videoland said:
I never bought the 3DS because of the 3D, so I think it a great ideá to release a console without the 3D effect and make it cheaper. But like everyone else, I don't like the fact that it doesn't fold, and the design is pretty ugly tbh. But its great for everyone who was going to buy a 3DS just for Pokémon XY, but I would've probably rather just buy a pre-owned one in good condition :/
You do realize that you can just turn the 3D off, right? I don't see why an optional feature is a good reason to not buy it.

I've gone through a roller coaster filled with emotions on my opinions of this thing all day today. When my friend told me about it this morning I thought it might be some fan-made mod of a 3DS. But then I found out it was official...

Looked at the "wedge" design. Still think it's just a bad and ugly design straight up, even though I know and understand what the target audience is for the handheld. And I still absolutely despise the name. I realize coming up with a better one would have probably been impossible, but this is just totally Microsoft bad when it's coming to these names now.

That being said, after realizing what Nintendo is doing with targeting the more younger player and having a cheaper and more accessible option for parents is absolutely brilliant. And let me just say the release date is absolutely genius along with that. They really couldn't have picked a better day to release this than that day this year with that really nice price actually.

Since it's not really targeted toward me, I just don't really care that much in the end. But it's already sold my friend who has young kids and never cared about 3D enough to pay for a more expensive system where he doesn't want the feature at all so this is perfect for someone like that that wants to play Pokemon with their kids. And it's kind of ironic, but I was planning on either getting another 3DS or a 3DS XL sometime next year anyway because I usually trade Pokemon with myself like I've done for the last two/two and a half generations of Pokemon and this is the perfect cheap option for someone like me that wants it for those kinds of uses (Streetpassing with myself, etc).

I'll probably never warm up on the idea of the name and overall shape/design of it (I've slightly warmed on the shape since I first saw it but still hate the name vehemently). But the purpose is absolutely brilliant and Nintendo is a genius knowing that this thing will probably sell pretty good with Pokemon regardless.

tl;dr Bad name/design, but brilliant purpose and audience. I'll get over it and will probably buy it myself which just proves that Nintendo usually knows what they're doing.

dmaster out.

TokyoToots said:
SuperSandslash said:
Seeing as I do not yet have a 3DS,I want Pokémon Y, and im short on money, I think i'll get this.

It would cost about the same if not more, than a used 3ds, and a 3ds can fold up which will mean it is less prone to breaking, so if you're going for something more inexpensive, i would just buy a used 3ds on ebay or craigslist, but as always it's your choice

Yeah, but I really don't trust Ebay and such after I got sent barbies when I ordered Dinosaurs. :( Plus, I believe I get a Walmart discount on the 2DS, having a relative working there who can buy it when I give them the money.

I don't understand how the name is bad. It is a 2D 3DS. A 2DS. Where is the problem???

I think it might have to do with 3DS games being able to be played on the 2DS. Yes, I know that we all know that it does so, but when uninformed Mom gets her son a 2DS and can't find any 2DS games, what is she to do?

Read what the box says? Ask the (hopefully) informed clerk?

How is that the problem of anyone on here again?

Children 7 and under do the following:
- Break hinged Game Systems either on purpose or by accident a lot.
- Cannot view the 3D on the system as it is harmful to their eyes (even to most adults - I bet Hakim Optical got a lot of sales on the week of the 3DS release. )
- Are overall irresponsible.

We had no issues with the gameboy. People complaining shouldn't be a problem because the target audience is primarily kids under the age of 7. They could break the system a lot more. Hell they could probably get it to a $50 price tag by removing a lot of features. Instead they kept every other feature in tact for adults that may want to pick this up too.

The reason it is so clunky looking, doesn't fold, and is a tad bit smaller than the 3DS (When open. ) is because it is geared towards children. Not adults.

I think this system is a great idea as a cheap alternative, or alternative for children.

Can you play 3ds games on the 2ds system?
I don't really have the time to read all the replies if someone asked already.

Shining Raikou said:
It probably lowers the manufacturing costs if it doesn't fold up (my guess as to why it doesn't).

More than you'd think; reports are now coming out that the system is using one giant screen, with the system housing merely covering bits here and there. One immediate thought is "How are they going to make the bottom screen touch?", which has been answered: Hard plastic covering the top "screen".

Teal said:
Getting two 3DS for christmas is hard your wallet. Two 2DS are more affordable.

I've been thinking about this affordability thing from the point of getting Johnny his own system because he likes Jimmy's old 3DS so much, which would make the $40 price difference "eh"... but buying two at once, that's certainly interesting.

Drohn said:
Interesting. Is this the first time they released a new console that is actually a cheaper downgrade? I can't remember it happening before.

You could maybe count the newer model Wii's that didn't have GameCube ports. Maybe. Definitely the Wii Mini.

ArcanineArco said:
Is it really that hard to switch off 3D?

Nope, it's in parental controls. But who has time to look there. :p

DNA said:
Is this the first time they released a new console that is actually a cheaper downgrade? I can't remember it happening before.
Game Boy Pocket? Game Boy Micro? Pretty sure this isn't a new thing.

> cheaper :p

Teal said:
I don't understand how the name is bad. It is a 2D 3DS. A 2DS. Where is the problem???

I'm just sad because 2DS was an nice way to casually differentiate the DS from the 3DS. Now what do we do? :p

Emolga2254 said:
Can you play 3ds games on the 2ds system?
I don't really have the time to read all the replies if someone asked already.

Yes, you can. You simply won't be able to play the game in 3D.

Although I am, obviously, not the target age for the system, I still really like the idea. As someone who suffers from frequent migraines, I cannot use the 3D feature without getting an intense headache and dizziness. Granted, there's always the parental controls thing, but why pay extra for something I won't use?
If I was just getting a new system for X and Y, I would definitely go with this one over the current 3DS because I have no use for the 3D feature. Don't really understand why people have a problem with the system. Nintendo realized some people were very sensitive to the 3D and didn't really want the system until a game like X and Y came out. (Hence the release date)
Overall, while I most likely won't buy the system, I like that Nintendo is giving people a cheaper option.

This is the first time I've heard of this system, so I don't really know how to feel... I mean, the name was enough to make me go "what the heck!?" At the very least, this is pretty poorly named, considering how I kind of considered the ds the 2D system. Also, how much is this system going to cost? Since I don't have the money to buy each system, I always skip systems if it is either:

1. Not compatible with the previous system (DSi couldn't play gba)
2. Is compatible with a system I have that already supports those games

So what I'm wondering is if this will actually have its own games, or if it a less expensive model of some sort.

I'd like to play Dream Team, X or Y, SSBB 4, and several others, but the system is simply too expensive for me and I don't really care for the 3D...

Keldeo EX FTW said:
So what I'm wondering is if this will actually have its own games, or if it a less expensive model of some sort.

The announced price is $40 cheaper than the regular 3DS. I forget the exact number but I know it's $40 cheaper.

This system isn't for me but I can see how it'd be awesome for younger kids in the 4-to-8-ish range. Looks more durable and they shouldn't be using 3D in the first place. I know you can disable it on a 3DS for that reason but that comes with a higher price tag and chance of your kid breaking it.

My question is. Why are they doing this when the 3D on the 3DS can be permanently locked in the Parental Controls settings. It can be set so the 3D cannot be used at all. Then you can set a password so tne kid can't turn it on at all even if the switch is turned on and up. That does not make sense. If they are going to do this why not sell the 3DS for $129.99 and not make a 2DS which has been out since 2001. Nintendo is actually taking a step backwards or they are loosing money in some department of the company. Why did they not do this first before the real 3DS came out? It does not make sense to me XD.:)

xxashxx said:
My question is. Why are they doung this when the 3D on the 3DS can be oermanently locked inthe Parental Contros settings. It can be set so the 3D cannot be used at all. Then you can set a password so tne kid can't turn it on at all even if the switchis turned on and up. That does not make sense. If tney are going to do this why not sell the 3DS for $129.99 and nlt make a 2DS which has been out since 2001. Nintendo is actually taking a step backwards or they are loosing money in some depatment of the company. Why did they not do this first before the real 3DS came out? It does not make sense to me XD.:)

I really can't believe those are your serious concerns with the console? They are doing this BECAUSE they can manufacture it cheaper without the 3D technology. It's for families, people who have budgets, people who want a different form factor, or don't want to spend the extra money for the potential "gimmick" of 3D screens.

Nintendo is already operating at a loss on the 3DS console itself, and the titles (games) are where they make most of their profit margins this generation, the same goes for the Wii U in a lot of respects. Take a look at Nintendo's history, they've made plenty of utilities, alternate consoles, and colors for different markets.

Nintendo isn't going backwards, it's evolving.

The thing is 2D has been out since 1985 with the NES and other systems. The first 3D system was the Virtual Boy which was 3D but was all red and was mostly lines of red color. Then the huge break was the N64 the GameCube the Wii &Wii U. For handheld it was the Game Boy and it's predecessors that followed. In 2001 was the huge break for the hand held and that was the original DS which was 2D up until the release of the 3DS and the 3DS XL. What I am talking about is now they are coming out with a 2DS after making the 3DS. From 3D to 2D. That is backwards and not forwards. Instead of making a 2DS like they are doing they could have dropped the price of the 3DS by $40.00 rather than making a 2D system which was already 2D until the release of the 3DS. In doing this it might be cheaper and more user friendly but essentially they went a step backwards while they made a more user friendly version. If they had just dropped the price of the 3DS then they would be more user friendly XD.:)

Back