(1) Nintendo 2DS Announced [8/28]

Look: It's the Nintendo 1DS ^^ (Just kidding)

994579_10201001525213047_140342923_n.jpg

It probably lowers the manufacturing costs if it doesn't fold up (my guess as to why it doesn't). Less moving parts is also a good thing for younger children. I would hope the screen is made of something like Gorilla Glass, but that might be asking for too much.

I don't see this being made into an XL version, since it's described as a product for a "value". Adding a 2DS XL wouldn't make too much sense.

ECHOxLegend said:
less moving parts, no 3D, more durable, more afforable. Parents options people, options.

Why is this concept so hard to grasp for people? Well said, ECHOxLegend!

Maybe it is a generational thing; if your first handheld video game system was a DS (hinged design) or PSP (disc based system) it isn't as obvious. For someone who had a Game Boy as his first handheld, the newer stuff seems more fragile. My DS Lite served me well for about 7 years but now it barely works. Sound good? My original Game Boy is in better working condition, and I used that thing just as much in its day (though obviously, continuous heavy use would probably have finished it off by now).

Not folding makes it more durable, not less for younger/clumsier players. The clamshell design is mostly about keeping face buttons from being mashed to death in pockets and protecting the screen from getting serious scratches... which is what the carrying case is for; given that it was featured in the video perhaps it is a pack-in? Light scratching is all about screen protectors (which should be a standard by now).

Being too big for a pocket is not happy for adults, but good for kids... who would smuggle it where they are not supposed to otherwise. Lastly, it is less expensive. For some people, that $40 is make or break. Saving up more isn't feasible or perhaps they have (responsibly) capped their entertainment spending. In my case, I can't trust myself to buy video games anymore so I won't be getting a 2DS. My 5 (and a half! XD) year old nephew might be able to get one of these for Christmas or his next birthday (his parents stalled by saying he could get an actual 3DS for his 7th b-day).

As any others said, the 2DS is just an option for parents instead of the deafult 3DS/XL.
The fact that it's coming on the same day as Pokemon X and Y is ingenious.

ECHOxLegend said:
less moving parts, no 3D, more durable, more afforable. Parents options people, options.

This.

No folding means no snapping-in-half of the 2DS, no 3D means no eye damage to kids, the internet switch is in the software instead of on the 2DS itself to prevent children from messing with the internet, and more.

The 2DS is meant for children, most likely.

I personally think the 2ds is a great idea. The reason i`m not getting x/y is because i have a DSI that works perfect...so i see no reason to buy a new system. Now though I`m thinking about it again. The reason that is, well it is cheaper.(probably still will not get it though) They are just trying to get people to buy 3ds games.

ImBlue said:
Did Nintendo actually just create a cheaper version of it's own product to compete with? Sure they'll get more sales with the less serious crowd, but by definition they weren't going to make much money off of them anyways.

At least they were smart enough to make it not foldable so that the 3DS still will appeal more to their more devoted audiences and the 2DS won't take away too many sales in that group. It's a cool concept, but still weird from a business perspective. Maybe Nintendo's just feeling courteous, lol.
Why are you talking about the bussiness aspect when you clearly don't understand it. :eek:

Nintendo can't "compete" with itself. The 2DS costs less to make than the 3DS, so they can afford to sell it for cheaper. It doesn't make the 3DS less profitable but the very opposite: it widens the audience to small kids who should not view 3D (remember the "3D scandals" and hysterical parents?). It also appeals to people who don't have much money to spend on games but don't mind spending a bit ("smart phone gamer generation", "casuals") and families with several children that want the console. Getting two 3DS for christmas is hard your wallet. Two 2DS are more affordable.

SuperSandslash said:
Seeing as I do not yet have a 3DS,I want Pokémon Y, and im short on money, I think i'll get this.

It would cost about the same if not more, than a used 3ds, and a 3ds can fold up which will mean it is less prone to breaking, so if you're going for something more inexpensive, i would just buy a used 3ds on ebay or craigslist, but as always it's your choice

I personally don't like it , to ME, it looks quite ugly. But that's not to say it was a dumb move on their part. It's meant for kids mostly, or adults that are plain cheap. Either way is fine, and they'll end up selling to that as the majority. I know I wouldn't drop 200 dollars for a system for my kid. 130 however, if they work for it, (i.e chores) I'll think about it. Yes, I have 2 3ds's one for a capture card and one for my own entertainment. But that's because I have a job and I can spoil myself if I want. But my kid, she isn't getting a 200 dollar 3ds xl just because she can. She can however get a 2ds once she racks up enough allowance money.

And I'm pretty sure that's why Nintendo made it. Because who else besides us grown men play Pokemon? Kids.
I can near guarantee you this wasn't an accident that the two will be released the same day.
Also,
a 3ds can fold up which will mean it is less prone to breaking

I've got to say quite the opposite in fact. . .

The kid-friendly argument makes a lot of sense, especially with some people overprotecting their children and shit, but is really a 40 dollars drop in exchange of no 3d capabilities (which are optional anyway in the 3ds) really THAT much of a change? enough to decide buying one instead of a normal 3DS? it seems too little a difference, I mean, you get a console for 130$ or the same (optional) 3d console for 170$ or a bigger 3d console for 200$. Especially because the kid grows over 7 and will want to play in 3D, so you'll have to pony up for a brand new 3d console anyway.

professorlight said:
The kid-friendly argument makes a lot of sense, especially with some people overprotecting their children and shit, but is really a 40 dollars drop in exchange of no 3d capabilities (which are optional anyway in the 3ds) really THAT much of a change? enough to decide buying one instead of a normal 3DS? it seems too little a difference, I mean, you get a console for 130$ or the same (optional) 3d console for 170$ or a bigger 3d console for 200$. Especially because the kid grows over 7 and will want to play in 3D, so you'll have to pony up for a brand new 3d console anyway.

No snapping of the top screen and hearing the little one complain about wanting a new one.
And if they want to play it in 3d once they get older, that's fine as long as they work towards it themself. And then you convince them it's the exact same thing but in 3d that they'll hardly feel like using anyways. And since kids are simple enough to convince you may not have to pay the extra money. Besides, you sell the 2ds get what you can for it, and the kid earns the rest of the cost.
Look at that, haha discipline and the concept of workmanship.
Twofer! xD

Reading this thread has me realizing how little people actually use the 3D on the 3DS. It's kinda disappointing, because that's the coolest feature.

For people that already have a 3DS, however, I don't really know why they'd get it. Not saying it's a bad idea, because it really is a cheap alternative for those who don't having anything within the 3DS's family yet.

I trust what they did with it being flat, though. Sure, you can't fit it in your pocket, but oh well. Get a case. lol

Interesting. Is this the first time they released a new console that is actually a cheaper downgrade? I can't remember it happening before. This is good news for those who want to safe some money rather than playing games in 3D. I'm sticking with the 3DS, though! I like the design better and I don't want to miss out on playing the first 3D Pokémon game in actual 3D!

I like this a lot. I remember when I was little, the pain and anguish I suffered when my youngest brother threw my DS to the ground in a fit of rage. One of the top screen's hinges snapped and it was done for. If they sold something like this WITH 3D and no hinges plus gorilla glass, it'd be mine in a heart beat.

I actually thought it was a joke at first. I had to check a few articles just to make sure. Personally, I would never buy this because it looks just horrible in my opinion. Can't fold it either.. then there may be the parents who are confused whether 2DS is compatible with 3DS games because they may not understand because of the model name etc.

I know there will probably be writing on the box saying "Plays all 3DS and DS games" but I think maybe they could of chose another name? or maybe not. It is cheaper so it will be good for people who can't afford the other models but seriously the price difference isn't that big between the 2DS and 3DS.. well in the UK anyways .. so I don't see the point. Is it really that hard to switch off 3D? In my opinion this seems to be aimed at younger kids because they do say that the 3D effect is not good for children under a certain age because it could damage their eyesight. So this could be a good model for them.

I am not hating on the 2DS. I am sure some people will LOVE it! It is just not for me :D .. never hurts to have more options :)

Is this the first time they released a new console that is actually a cheaper downgrade? I can't remember it happening before.
Game Boy Pocket? Game Boy Micro? Pretty sure this isn't a new thing.

I know there will probably be writing on the box saying "Plays all 3DS and DS games" but I think maybe they could of chose another name? or maybe not.
In which being witty with the name could result in potential confusion. I tried thinking of a better name. I couldn't.

<DNA> "3DS Mini."
<DNA> But it doesn't have 3D.
<DNA> "...okay, you win."

I still clearly remember the day that I was at the outlet mall with my aunt and her son. We saw this stupid 6-year-old kid holding an opened DSi XL...and shaking it back and forth violently as the mother did nothing about it (the system wasn't even on). Then the top screen snapped off, the kid cried, and the mother had no idea whatsoever how it happened.

I like the idea of this thing--it's idiot-proof.

I honestly like the design and price. I sold my 3ds xl, but I might get this because I like the shape and I want x/y. You all are complaining about it getting damaged, but you could be careful with it and you play with other devices like iPads and what not that don't fold. I will probably pick one up just for x/y and ssb3d. I always thought the 3d aspect was idiotic.

I'm not sure how people get scratches on their screens, I never do, but the hinge on my DSLite broke for no good reason on some random day.

So contrary to everyone, what I'd prefer is a 3ds with the 2ds design XD....
The whole clam design is much more frail and unnecessary than "screens out in the open oh no", LOL.

Back