Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

RE: The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Hey Pokebeach I have $60 store credit to Professor-Oak.com and I really dont know what to buy with it this is what I was thinking of buying
*1- Mew FA
*Registeel FA,Giratina FA,and Ho-oh FA
*2- Rayquaza FA
Im not sure what to buy but if you guys have any suggestions please help D:

My suggestion would be to buy something that you really need for a deck that you would like to play :).

Out of the cards that you mentioned, I believe that Mew-EX had the most playability.

Secret Pikachu said:
My suggestion would be to buy something that you really need for a deck that you would like to play :).

Out of the cards that you mentioned, I believe that Mew-EX had the most playability.

Ok thanks I probaply will buy mew to put in zekeels and btw I'm gonna get mew ex fa which is $50 unless if I pull it today out of like 2 packs

I *think* I saw Mew-EX FA selling for around $20 on eBay. Maybe you could buy it there and buy something else on Professor Oak?

Ok but I don't really want to spend real Money so I might just wait for mew to go down in price then buy it and I can probaply get other stuff with it

Hi everyone,

So I recently found my old collection of cards (mostly consisting of Base, Jungle, Fossil and the 3 Neo sets) and having never finished it, thought I might give it a shot. I was wondering what would the best and cheapest way of finishing it up be. I've been looking at eBay and some card sites. Of course I intend to be lucky over rich in getting cards like Charizard! (I remember buying four packs for a friend's birthday and getting trolled with Charizard, Mewtwo and Nidoking holos and all I got were bloody Beedrill's.)

At the same time, I like the feeling of collecting and opening those booster packs and whatnot but would rather do it with a more recent set which has good artwork and focuses on Pokemon before the fourth generation for price reasons. Which of the HGSS sets best fits the description as those look the best choice? And where can I get them/best way to get them?

Lastly, are rare holos worth anything anymore? Since those were the staple over a decade ago, now I'm not too sure with the EX and secret cards and etc. They seem to have the same rarity, and I find it ironic that there are more rares and holos than uncommons and commons now. But, I like the effect so if they're not expensive either, I wouldn't mind trying to collect those too. (A random check shows a near-mint Azumarill from HGSS being sold for $0.49 on Toad and Troll) Are these good prices? What is considered overpriced?

Any help would be appreciated!

Any card can be worth any amount. It depends on how good it is. If the rarity system held more weight in the prices, then Giratina-EX would be worth more than Pokemon Catcher because Giratina is an ultra rare and Catcher is just an uncommon from an unpopular set, yet Giratina is 10 dollars and Catcher is 14 on Troll & Toad. On the other hand, usually, if there are two cards that are equally good and one is rarer than the other, then the rarer card would be worth more because, statistically, there are less copies that exist of that card.

Another factor is how popular the set it. Most people won't buy a ton of packs of Emerging Powers if all they need is a Bianca or Catcher, they just buy singles to save money. Considering there isn't very much else good in that set (besides Cheren, Gothitelle, and Max Potion), singles would be harder to find in theory. I don't know anyone who buys packs just for the sake of opening packs, anyways. If you compare it to another set with more good cards (we'll use Dark Explorers as an example), in theory once again, people will open more packs of Dark Explorers than of Emerging Powers because there's more good cards in it. There's an exception to the rule, however, and that is most big single-selling companies like Troll & Toad. These companies typically buy a ton of cases, open some, and sell the boxes and packs of the rest. The opened cards get put in the inventory, and prices are set. Troll & Toad isn't affected by my logic I stated above because they almost always open a ton of packs of the newest sets and sell the singles at what they're really worth.

tl;dr Troll & Toad and Ebay listings are typically accurate price representations.

^ Thanks, as you might be able to tell, or maybe not, I am not a competitive player, as otherwise there'd be no need to finish collecting the first sets since they're not allowed to be used anyway and soon enough, neither will the entire HGSS expansions.

I'm a nostalgia geek and it seems the HGSS ones focus more on Gen 1/2 Pokemon.

Price Range: $40-$50
What you are thinking of buying: Tins/packs
Any options to choose from and why: well I'm in a bit of a pickle here, my parents borrowed some money from me, leaving me with $50ish to spend on pokemon. Since I can't buy a whole box of DRX now, my sister offered to split one with me (she's such a nice sister xD ). However this means we wouldn't be able to preorder a set of 9 tins. So my question is, should I go for half a box of DRX, or 4 of the new EX tins? (2 darkrai tins, 1 rayquaza tin, and 1 mewtwo tin).

Thanks in advance! :D

The Pikachu Mafia said:
Price Range: $40-$50
What you are thinking of buying: Tins/packs
Any options to choose from and why: well I'm in a bit of a pickle here, my parents borrowed some money from me, leaving me with $50ish to spend on pokemon. Since I can't buy a whole box of DRX now, my sister offered to split one with me (she's such a nice sister xD ). However this means we wouldn't be able to preorder a set of 9 tins. So my question is, should I go for half a box of DRX, or 4 of the new EX tins? (2 darkrai tins, 1 rayquaza tin, and 1 mewtwo tin).

Thanks in advance! :D
I would honestly get the tins because out of the half box you will get about 0-3 ultra rares and if you get the tins you are guarenteed 4 ex's and 16 booster packs (I think it's 4 packs a tin) but it's totally up to you, but this is what I would do :p hope I helped :)

Maybe wait until it is known what packs will be in the new tins before you decide (or has this information been released already?).

If there are good packs in the tins then playability-wise it might be better to go that route.

If you had pulled one of the halves from a box that I opened you would have pulled no ultra rare cards (assuming you didn't mix the packs up beforehand).

okay thanks guys! I'm thinking about going for the tins so I can build darkrai/hydeigon (finally) so I'll probably do that. :)

@Secret Pikachu: I'm pretty sure all we know is it's 4 packs from the BW expansions (I would assume it's a mix of DRX, DEX, and NXD packs....)

thanks again guys xD

The Pikachu Mafia said:
okay thanks guys! I'm thinking about going for the tins so I can build darkrai/hydeigon (finally) so I'll probably do that. :)

@Secret Pikachu: I'm pretty sure all we know is it's 4 packs from the BW expansions (I would assume it's a mix of DRX, DEX, and NXD packs....)

thanks again guys xD

Maybe even a better Idea to buy the tin promos for like 2 bucks a piece off of trollandtoad so then you will only have to pay like $10 for 4 darkrais if your just wanting to build darkrai hydreigon rather than paying $60 hope I helped :D

that would be cheaper, but I only need a couple darkrai and it would be more like $21 for 3 darkrai (at which case I rather just spend the extra $20 to get 16 packs ^^)

The Pikachu Mafia said:

thanks again guys xD

That would be a nice mix of packs!

I don't have much experience with this but I could see them throwing in some of the earlier Black & White set packs (Base, EP and NV). DRX, DEX and NXD sounds too good to be true :p.

Secret Pikachu said:
That would be a nice mix of packs!

I don't have much experience with this but I could see them throwing in some of the earlier Black & White set packs (Base, EP and NV). DRX, DEX and NXD sounds too good to be true :p.

The 2012 fall tins are already out in Sweden, and apperently Denmark too. The packs are 2 Dragons exalted, 1 emargin powers and 1 black and white :/

-_-
And we thought it was too good to be true.
*Buys box and hopes for decent pull rates*

Videoland said:
Denmark [/url]too. The packs are 2 Dragons exalted, 1 emargin powers and 1 black and white :/

-_- wow those are terrible except dragons exalted and I predicted it would be like this
rayquaza tin- 4 dragons exalted pAcks :)
mewtwo- 4 next destinies packs
darkrai- 4 dark explorers packs
but as always looks like I was wrong too good to be true

Dweaver said:
-_- wow those are terrible except dragons exalted and I predicted it would be like this
rayquaza tin- 4 dragons exalted pAcks :)
mewtwo- 4 next destinies packs
darkrai- 4 dark explorers packs
but as always looks like I was wrong too good to be true

Yeah, its really lame. I would've bought all 3 if they had at least all EX-packs. Heck, even Noble Victories would've been fine for me. On a side note, I just noticed that my local cardstore had the tins too and even cheaper than what I saw on the internet sites, but only Darkrai left. So I have to wait til thuesday :/

I wouldn't be complaining, we get the three most expensive EXs in promos, saving us heaps of money, and they are "dragon" tins, so the packs are fitting. Odd that we didn't get DE though.

Back