Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

RE: The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Bagleopard, for your Dark deck I would suggest to just wait for the tins. It's the best you should do. Also try to get some information about new decks on BW-on, since Hydreigon (from Dragons EXhalted)/Darkrai EX will probably be one of the BDIFs (Best deck in format) and uses both Darkrai and Sableye as well as Dark Patch and other trainers you have.
As for your brother, he should get 2 or 3 Mewtwo EX and 1 or 2 Raikou EX and possibly 1 Rayquaza EX. That depends on what he wants to do with the deck, but whatever he decides, he mustn't forget that 2 Zekrom BW is necessary. Zekrom EX can also be very very good in the next format since Stage 2 Pokémon will be better. You have many ways to use Eelektriks. It's just a matter of doing your research on Eelektrik variant your brother prefers. However, I wouldn't recommed running 3 Rayquaza EXs, because the card seems fantastic but the weakness isn't good at all. You can run 1, atleast.

Here are some staples cards you both should get:
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
3 Bianca
3 Cheren
2/3 Random Receivers
3 Eviolite (Normal Zekrom with this is a beast)
4 Pokémon Catcher (these ones are more expensive, like 8$, but they're needed. However, no need to get them so fast. As the time goes you will eventually get them by trading or buying it later)
Everything else depends on what deck you choose. If you need any more help feel free to PM me.

Meaty said:
I'm curious about how much these tins cost. While it's great to get 3 Rayquaza, Mewtwo and Darkrai, you don't exactly have the same guaranteed ratios as you do in boxes. This potentially means more EXs than in a box, but it could easily mean less EXs too. Another thing to consider is what packs are included in the tins. There often tends to be one or two older and less desirable pack in every tin, so only buy them if you're interested in cards from all three sets. Basically, if the price is about as much as booster box, and all three sets in the tins are worth it to you, then buy it by all means.

I'm kinda new to the Pokemon TCG and this forum, but wouldn't the sets included with the tins be Next Destinies, Dark Explorers and two Dragons Exalted? They're the most playable and currently valuable sets with a new copy of an extremely playable card. I'd buy that case if I were him.

Can you get tins with more than one promo card? The tin I bought had zekrom ex in one of the boosters, but I thought that was just luck.

Can you get tins with more than one promo card? The tin I bought had zekrom ex in one of the boosters, but I thought that was just luck.
Nope, if you pulled it out of a booster pack,it's just great luck! I pulled a Zekrom EX from the last pack of my Zekrom EX tin! :D As far as I know they have not released tins with two Promos, except maybe the shiny legendary beast tins, but I never got to open those up. All I've seen are opening videos of those. They're probably pretty hard to find now, and the cards are illegal if you're playing the game, so I see no point in buying those anyway! By the way, don't get the Kyurem EX/Zekrom EX/ Reshiram EX tins now!
They will be releasing new tins with cards that are practically needed in decks, so there's no point in buying those tins.

That's not a promo - it's a regular booster Zekrom EX. Look at the lower right corner. It has no "promo" star.

This question is directed more towards competitive players than collectors.

What are your purchase plans, if you will, for Dragon's Exalted? What is the most efficient way to obtain cards as soon as possible after the release date?

I would like to run at least four seperate decks as quickly as possible after Dragons Exalted is released (trying to learn the competitive aspects of the game as well as increasing my skills). This is my first time playing during the release of a set. Are singles hard to find on sites like Troll & Toad right after the release? I'm thinking of attending two or three prereleases, purchasing two to four booster boxes and then buying the singles I need online (and perhaps trading with the two people I know in real life). Does that sound like a good strategy?

Secret Pikachu said:

What are your purchase plans, if you will, for Dragon's Exalted? What is the most efficient way to obtain cards as soon as possible after the release date?

I would like to run at least four seperate decks as quickly as possible after Dragons Exalted is released (trying to learn the competitive aspects of the game as well as increasing my skills). This is my first time playing during the release of a set. Are singles hard to find on sites like Troll & Toad right after the release? I'm thinking of attending two or three prereleases, purchasing two to four booster boxes and then buying the singles I need online (and perhaps trading with the two people I know in real life). Does that sound like a good strategy?

My purchase plans are placing T32 at Worlds so I can get a Booster Box :p
Now, jokes aside. You don't need to attent two or three pre-releases if you're buying 2 to 4 booster boxes. I'd rather save the money from the pre-releases and spend them in a box or singles. If you buy 2 boxes you should only need 1 or 2 holos and maybe1-2 EXs to build the new archetypes, assuming the results of BRs here are like Japan's results.

Secret Pikachu said:

Well, I am going to get a box myself, and buy the singles I need after i open the box. If I were you, i'd spend the money of the pre releases on singles, and still buy the boxes. If you buy four and still have the money of the pre releases, you'll be able to build most of the competitive decks.

If I was going to buy something, open the packs, and then resell it all, what would I be best to buy out of the following?

A Japanese Box,
An English Box,
English Packs,
English Tins,
Singles.

Thanks.

Nengeni said:
If I was going to buy something, open the packs, and then resell it all, what would I be best to buy out of the following?

A Japanese Box,
An English Box,
English Packs,
English Tins,
Singles.

Thanks.

Well, the thing with singles is that you have to first get them at a good price and then you have to resell them in the high market value, so, depending on the time you want to put in, reselling singles tends to only be worth it with cards worth $10 and above.

I wouldn't buy a Japanese Box because people only really buy the Ultra Rares, and I think you only get one per box. However, if you get a newer B&W box with EX cards, you can pretty much make your money back off of 1-2 EX/FA-EX cards.

English Packs won't get you anywhere if you open them up and then try and resell the cards in them. I would only resell the sealed pack, and only if you get the packs at a steal. For example, I recently bought 185 POP 5 packs for $350 or so -> around $2 a pack, but the retail for these packs is minimum of $5 per pack, so if I resell the sealed packs, I can make a lot of money. However, if I open all the packs then try and sell the cards, I probably won't even make my money back because the only cards of value are the Gold Stars and then the ex cards, which are both hard to pull.

An English Box can do you some good as long as you pick the right set. I wouldn't buy any WoTC boxes to try and open and resell the cards in it because you won't even make your money back for the box. The same kinda goes with ex series boxes. Although a lot of the cards in the sets sell, the boxes for the better selling sets are very expensive. D&P boxes won't do you any good because no one really buys those cards anymore, minus the Lv. X cards, which only like 3 go for more than $5. If you were going to buy a box, get one that is in format because players will always buy legal cards, and you can pretty much sell every card or all your extras.

English tins are kinda the same as packs, there's not enough value in singles to make money. If you are not a collector though, and just sell every card you pull, you can get lucky and pull an Ultra Rare, which, if you buy a newer tin, would pretty much make your money back and then some.

Thanks Roronoa Zoro and Slayer!

I'm still going to attend the prereleases because I have never attended one before. Plus for $30 and participation you end up getting eight booster packs and promotional items (which may include a deck box with four more booster packs?). I'm basically getting my money's worth there.

I wonder what the organizer does with leftover supplies. One of the prereleases that I am attending only has two people, including me, that have signed up. Will he keep the extra booster packs to sell upon the release or will he divy them up (one can hope)? :p

Secret Pikachu said:

I'm still going to attend the prereleases because I have never attended one before. Plus for $30 and participation you end up getting eight booster packs and promotional items (which may include a deck box with four more booster packs?). I'm basically getting my money's worth there.

I wonder what the organizer does with leftover supplies. One of the prereleases that I am attending only has two people, including me, that have signed up. Will he keep the extra booster packs to sell upon the release or will he divy them up (one can hope)? :p

Pfft lucky. There is only one pre-release event for me IN MY WHOLE COUNTY. I've been to it before for the Legends Awakened pre-release and there was about 20 people so I can only imagine how many there will be this time D:

Secret Pikachu said:

He'll probably sell them xD
If you haven't gone to a Pre-Release yet, it's quite fun and 8 Boosters for 30 is very nice too. I'd rather buy singles but since you haven't gone to a Pre-Release I think you should go if you can still buy some boxes.

I don't think people seam to understand that not everyone has $600 to spend on 2-4 boxes everytime a new set comes out Prerelease is great to have fun,get some packs for a good price and get some good trades. The chance of pulling a good card is high when you get 8 packs plus the promo's and deck boxes are always nice.

Daelum said:
Well, the thing with singles is that you have to first get them at a good price and then you have to resell them in the high market value, so, depending on the time you want to put in, reselling singles tends to only be worth it with cards worth $10 and above.

I wouldn't buy a Japanese Box because people only really buy the Ultra Rares, and I think you only get one per box. However, if you get a newer B&W box with EX cards, you can pretty much make your money back off of 1-2 EX/FA-EX cards.

English Packs won't get you anywhere if you open them up and then try and resell the cards in them. I would only resell the sealed pack, and only if you get the packs at a steal. For example, I recently bought 185 POP 5 packs for $350 or so -> around $2 a pack, but the retail for these packs is minimum of $5 per pack, so if I resell the sealed packs, I can make a lot of money. However, if I open all the packs then try and sell the cards, I probably won't even make my money back because the only cards of value are the Gold Stars and then the ex cards, which are both hard to pull.

An English Box can do you some good as long as you pick the right set. I wouldn't buy any WoTC boxes to try and open and resell the cards in it because you won't even make your money back for the box. The same kinda goes with ex series boxes. Although a lot of the cards in the sets sell, the boxes for the better selling sets are very expensive. D&P boxes won't do you any good because no one really buys those cards anymore, minus the Lv. X cards, which only like 3 go for more than $5. If you were going to buy a box, get one that is in format because players will always buy legal cards, and you can pretty much sell every card or all your extras.

English tins are kinda the same as packs, there's not enough value in singles to make money. If you are not a collector though, and just sell every card you pull, you can get lucky and pull an Ultra Rare, which, if you buy a newer tin, would pretty much make your money back and then some.
Thanks for that, but there's one thing I forgot to ask.

I'm going to assume buying a case is better than buying a box, if you can afford it? Then would it make more sense to sell the packs individually, the boxes, or singles?

Nengeni said:
Thanks for that, but there's one thing I forgot to ask.

I'm going to assume buying a case is better than buying a box, if you can afford it? Then would it make more sense to sell the packs individually, the boxes, or singles?

Ummm I've never really thought about cases. Hmmm... well if you bought a case (presumably one with 6 booster boxes) it really depends on the price you get it for. Let's use the new Dragons Exalted set as an example.

Okay so a case of 6 booster boxes of Dragons Exalted sells for $548.99 (that's the price of the only one that has sold on Ebay). Booster Boxes of this set have been selling for ~$95. So, 6 boxes at $95 a piece yields $570. So if you bought a case at normal price, it wouldn't be worth your time to try and sell the boxes.

Now, if you opened the boxes and sold the packs, you could (competitively) sell each pack for $3.50 or $3.75 depending on your market. So, 6 boxes of 36 packs is a total of 216 packs. 216 packs at $3.50 a piece is $756 and 216 packs at $3.75 a piece is $810. You could even sell the packs for $3 and make a solid profit - 216 packs for $3 is $648, so a profit of ~$99. Clearly, if you bought a case, selling the packs is better than selling the boxes.

I don't have much to say about selling singles for this set though. I am this way because once these cards hit the market, only players will be buying singles, which means only the cards that are good for decks will be pricey. Yes, the other ultra rares will be at a high value because of their new release, but their values will drop really fast - kinda like with Dark Explorers how Darkrai EX was worth $80 while Entei EX was worth $15 then when Darkrai dropped to $40, Entei dropped to $7. So I guess you could try and sell the singles but I can't give you a guarantee of the prices of the good cards, and from what I've heard, there isn't going to be a $50+ card like the last 2 sets.

Daelum said:
Now, if you opened the boxes and sold the packs, you could (competitively) sell each pack for $3.50 or $3.75 depending on your market. So, 6 boxes of 36 packs is a total of 216 packs. 216 packs at $3.50 a piece is $756 and 216 packs at $3.75 a piece is $810. You could even sell the packs for $3 and make a solid profit - 216 packs for $3 is $648, so a profit of ~$99. Clearly, if you bought a case, selling the packs is better than selling the boxes.

Provided you have the connections for selling. If a store runs league, and sells booster, they might not like you selling in, or close to the store.

omahanime said:
Provided you have the connections for selling. If a store runs league, and sells booster, they might not like you selling in, or close to the store.

This is very true. I was primarily talking about selling online, either through forums, Ebay, or Youtube as I don't have a league close enough to attend so that never really crossed my mind.

Daelum said:
This is very true. I was primarily talking about selling online, either through forums, Ebay, or Youtube as I don't have a league close enough to attend so that never really crossed my mind.

Do people really buy single boosters on eBay?

Back