XY Shiny Pokémon Mechanics: Less Rare in X / Y

Brave Vesperia said:
Is it proven that Shinies are more likely to be encountered in the Friend Safari? Or have people just been looking in the Friend Safari so much that it's reached that as a false conclusion?

While there is no official confirmation, many believe that the friend safari has a higher shiny encounter rate, as many people have caught 5-50 shinies by running around in the friend safari. :p
I myself have no say so as I have only caught one shiny Pokémon in the friend safari.

I have heard somebody say because of the guaranteed 2 perfect ivs it ups the chances also with the fact its less pokemon in a smaller zone with people being more determined it all adds up. It has taken me from a couple minutes too days to get one its all upto chance some also say that going in and out will reset the safari and that if you don't get one within 5-10 encounters you can just go in and out each time and you might get one faster that way also but there all just rumors.

Mystreon said:
I have heard somebody say because of the guaranteed 2 perfect ivs it ups the chances also with the fact its less pokemon in a smaller zone with people being more determined it all adds up. It has taken me from a couple minutes too days to get one its all upto chance some also say that going in and out will reset the safari and that if you don't get one within 5-10 encounters you can just go in and out each time and you might get one faster that way also but there all just rumors.

For some shinies are easy to obtain. For me I will keep on doing the masuda method with my Korean ditto and starters. Still seems just as hard IMO.

I've noticed that in my X version I've been chain fishing for 2 days now for a Magikarp (for the lols) with no shiny. Do some games have less luck than others?

Reggie McGigas said:
I've noticed that in my X version I've been chain fishing for 2 days now for a Magikarp (for the lols) with no shiny. Do some games have less luck than others?

Sounds like you're just having bad luck, how high in your chain have you gotten? I got a shiny Relicanth on my 13th, but that seems pretty low compared to the averages I had found online. I had another chain going that broke and it was well over 20, so I think it's all random.

Muddy68 said:
Reggie McGigas said:

Sounds like you're just having bad luck, how high in your chain have you gotten? I got a shiny Relicanth on my 13th, but that seems pretty low compared to the averages I had found online. I had another chain going that broke and it was well over 20, so I think it's all random.

I finally got my Shiny Magikarp. I've had a couple chains of around 30, but this one was on my 8th or 9th chain.

I usually chain up to 60 and if nothing I try again next day.

managed to get a shiny Corphish on chain of 21. Thankfully it wasn't Goldeen...

I end up breaking my chains if I press A too lightly. It thinks I'm too slow so I push aggressively now and rarely break it.

I hate it when you press A, then it says you were too slow. When it says that, it's too fast for normal humans to react anyway. Usually it doesn't do that, but when it does, it just feels cheep.

Yea, it's infuriating. You just gotta snap push it. If you push it like the way you normally do it'll give the "You were too slow, try again loser!" message, so I abuse my A button, but not to the point it'll get busted. I also have the volume turned up cause I tried doing it at work and I had it muted and it's easier to miss than you think... the !! sound makes it easier for me to react.

Chain-fishing is very difficult in that it requires immense concentration. I would estimate that the average number of catches before shiny Pokémon are kind of likely to appear is around 30. From experience that'd be pretty accurate, anyway. But I've also chained 67 (not made up; I actually counted) with nothing but a broken chain at the end. Also got a shiny Skrelp on a chain of 5. It all depends on whether the great Arceus feels generous or not, I suppose.

I've never gotten a shiny through Poké Radar, so could someone give me hints as to how I could manage it? I just really suck at finding which patch to go to... I get that you have to find a patch that shakes like the first one you walked into, and to always reset it after going to one on the borders, and to reset it when you don't trust any of the patches. But my chain still gets broken around the 15th to 20th chain, and I just don't understand.

If I hatched a Shiny in an egg via the Masuda Method, would the Pokémon in the egg still be Shiny if I reset the game before I receive (and hatched) it?

Brave Vesperia said:
If I hatched a Shiny in an egg via the Masuda Method, would the Pokémon in the egg still be Shiny if I reset the game before I receive (and hatched) it?

Yes, because all Eggs have a PID and their values like IVs and weather they're Shiny are not are already calculated when you receive the Egg, not when it hatches. (Assuming someone else would have the egg and not just reset the game when the day care man has it).

Brave Vesperia said:

Yes, as Blob stated.

Also, in X and Y, it appears the egg is "set" as soon as you drop off your parents in the daycare, and each subsequent egg is set after receiving the previous one. As nobody has hacked yet, this is just an educated guess, but it came from the site that is "the king of RNGing" *hint hint*

I never understood RNG... it's like... based on how accurate you can hit your seed or something? That's so tricky... I don't even know... I was gonna try the Cute Charm glitch in SoulSilver but the guide tore my brain apart more than Instacheck installation did.

I DO... have a legit question for any experts on random encountering shiny pokemon. I had obtained the shiny charm in Black 2 however the only success I have had with it is soft resetting Shiny Virizion which took about 800 soft resets and about... I wanna say... 4-5 hours. It was surprisingly easy. However I have had no luck with any other Pokemon and I Wanna make use of the charm. Tried random encountering some Litwicks for a few hours and nothing. Then I tipped like 10,000$ in Pokemon X and Y and tried to get a shiny Drifblim in the Friend Safari. Nothing after an hour and this time I starting counting up the encounters and I got about 125. I got bored and stopped.

The shiny charm in XY is supposed to bring it to 1,024 ish so I started thinking... would it really be easier that much? Or would I still need to invest a lot of time to get the shiny I want? Well for me... each random encounter takes about 10-15 seconds to go by and run. Adding in the time it takes to bike in the grass for the next encounter, I estimated about 5 seconds. So I'm saying it's about 20 seconds every encounter.

So for a minute that's about 3 encounters. Multiple that minute to an hour you only entered 180-200 encounters. Multiple this even further to 6 hours, you're about 1,080 encounters to possibly 1,200 ish... and doubling that to 12 hours... you're only 2,160-2,500 encounters in... So... you can spend half a day looking for a shiny Pokemon and only halfway there for XY odds.

How can you climb all the way up to 4,000+ encounters? Let alone all the way to 9,000 encounters. I don't think I have ever encountered more than 2,000 Pokemon in any of my games to be honest.

Do you take breaks, watch TV or listen to music? Cause even when I'm watching TV it's still pretty tedious to look down and up to see what you get. So I have to know how people are doing this with so much patience.

You seem to be falling for one of the logical fallacies about statistical odds. Take this for example: 1 in 200 of a particular item will be red while the other option is green; each item is returned to the collection and mixed in before another is picked. Getting 199 greens doesn't mean you are guaranteed the 200th will be red). The same 1 in 200 odds apply to every individual item in question. Pokemon is the same way. Just because you fail to hatch a shiny 4000 times consecutively does NOT mean your game is broken. The same chance of the pokemon being shiny applies to each egg, completely independant of past (or future) results. On the topic of RNG, all it does is "predict" (read as simulate all possible encounters with a identical random number generator to the games, then display what is needed for the desired result) when the pokemon you want - whether shiny, or just with good stats - will appear so all you have to do is re-create the circumstances to match the "prediction". RNG abuse takes practice and has a steep learning curve.

On a related note, if you look at the raw encounter data for whether a pokemon would be encountered as shiny or not, usually a hundred or so potential shiny encounters pass within a few thousand frames (which can easily be passed by in mere minutes). Contrary to appearances, you're often missing a shiny by a few seconds (a few hundred frames, which don't directly translate into time) in any given "normal" encounter.

I'm not sure I follow you. :S Wasn't talking about eggs, was just counting how long it would take to get that many encounters cause as long as I have played Pokémon I don't think I have gone past 2,000 encounters for each game. And seeing as I'm too lazy to count encounters I decided to round up how long it takes for one. I round up an hour to be about 180 encounters. So if I were to find a shiny, I can say "this took an hour so about 180 encounters".

My question how do people get up to that many encounters without stopping or giving up from boredom.

I have seen people playing on 3 or more systems to hunt and I don't even know how they can do that all day... I mean it must take about a day to get 4,000-6,000 encounters non stop on one game.

Eggs work the same way as normal encounters, The Shiny Charm just gives you and extra "re-roll" or two for shininess if it fails to be shiny with the value generated first for the encounter, so wild shiny encounters do become "easier" with it. Additionally, you can increase how many chances for a shiny further by using Sweet Scent. Hoards are essentially 4 extra chances for a shiny, so use that to your advantage when you can. Lastly, a Smoke Ball helps speed up encounters as you don't risk getting trapped by an ability or sheer (lack of) luck with the "you couldn't escape" message. Abilities like Pressure and Illuminate can further help by increasing the normal encounter rate when the wielder is in the first slot of your party (whether KO'd or not, it still works).

The last shiny I found in the wild was in Fire Red and Leaf Green which was a wild mankey that fled. So explain to me how I have not seen a wild shiny in 7 years and people find them everyday 2-3 times a day. I`ve tried all the methods and items such as Poke-radar and Chain Fishing and still nothing perfect chains too. I think the Pokémon Gods just hate me what I ever do to you Arceus oh wait I remember. XD

i just killed a shiny karrablast by accident.

Smh, its the only shiny i've seen in Y. I have not seen many in these games, only 3 in total between two games. Im really not sure what people are doing to see several in one day, i can only assume they are playing hours at a time to get them..

You see I do that and I've used the poke radar Chain Fishing Medusa methods and all and in every game nothing up to 50 on chains and over almost 500 eggs and nothing I`m beginning to wonder how are shiny pokemon are supposed to show up before my chains break and I get so board hatching eggs then and I have nothing to show for my work.

Back