XY Shiny Pokémon Mechanics: Less Rare in X / Y

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
You know isharigan you are totally on the money. It can take take either 1 egg or 1,000. I just got a masuda shiny Snivy in 6 eggs. Fastest. Shiny. Hunt. Ever. Was actually just breeding to give Snivys away. I started doing it after tipping and random encountering and hordes and soft resetting fossils weren't working out. The eggs paid off quickly as I planned on hatching 30 eggs originally haha.

Edit: I just got a shiny Drifloon on Route 8 on a chain of 9!!!

But wait, I thought you had to go to 40 to even get that lucky. Well... apparently... there's an upbeat tempo change in the radar music... when this happens, you have an increased chance to get a shiny patch! Although I have missed it or not gotten it a few times...

You can either continue chaining in a patch you are sure has your pokemon, or play it safe and reset the radar. Note that either one can make the music got revert, and I am not sure whether encountering or resetting has better odds for the shiny patch.

I CAN say that TWICE it has saved me hours. First time when I chaining Flabebe, I continued walking into good patches and fainted a Flabebe on chain 23 to get a shiny patch and the second time Drifloon on chain 9. I am planning on sticking with this for future chains and let you know what my results are.

And after a long drought of easy Friend Safari shinies, I finally got one. It's Helioptile after 6 encounters. Friend Safari is very inconsistent with me. It's either no shinies at all for long amounts of time or a shiny I'm not looking for when I least expect it.

TrainerSivan

Aspiring Trainer
I haven't found any shiny Pokemon in Friend Safari yet. I wonder if it really is easier to find them there or if people are just finding them there more easily because of IV hunting. I did find a shiny in the wild (my second one in YEARS) and have had no luck hunting them in the safari. I wonder if the shiny charm would work there as well? Also, how do you get the shiny charm? I didn't realise it was in X/Y.

LLR

Vivillon Trader
TrainerSivan said:
I wonder if the shiny charm would work there as well? Also, how do you get the shiny charm? I didn't realise it was in X/Y.

My understanding is that the shiny charm increases chances of finding a shiny in wild pokemon. Most are of the opinion that the safaris count as wild.

My understanding is that you have to complete the National Dex...which requires Bank or a lot of trading with someone who has Bank. You can't just see them.

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
@Talk of chaining: In Diamond and Pearl the odds would increase and then max out at a grand total of 1/200 when you hit a chain of 40, but the more Pokemon you've chained, the higher your odds. The algorithm can be found on Bulbapedia, just search chaining.

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
In DPPt it also stayed at 1/200 after 40 too! So if you were lucky you could see another shiny right after. I have gotten 6 shiny Larvitars during a swarm. It was awesome. Chain went up to 50 before it broke for no reason...

But in XY after you get your shiny, it resets the odds. If you want to miss your shiny patch at 40 and wanna keep going for high IVs you can. I have seen people chain 110+ for 3-4IV Dittos. But you got to have nerves of steel to intentionally miss the patch to chain up to 80+... I mean I can't imagine breaking a chain of 50 and knowing you had your chance...

I wonder when the upbeat music plays if the odds go 1/200...

NoDice

Pancham=PURE AWESOME
I know this was probably brought up somewhere in this thread already, but I figured I'd bring it back up again. As of right now, Im struggling to complete my shiny charm requirements (no idea how Im gunna get the legends) by leveling up my mons in a Chansey/Audino FS. What kinda of BS is it that you cant use the Poke'Radar in the Friend Safari? Seriously, if it was usable in ANY area that would have been the ideal place! Limited mons, large patch of grass, guaranteed 2+ flawless IVs- couple that with radar adding a flawless IV for every 30 or 40 in the chain (or something), AND raising the shiny rate! Sorry for the mini rant, but just right now, at the moment, with bank being delayed (what seems like indefinitely)- its irking me a bit.

ShinyVincent

Clowns can eat you.
So..A Tip For You All For Friend Safari: Do a Pokemon with the abillitie "Illumitate" (not sure how to spell it) I use Laturn with that abilitie, then I go to the FS, I hunt In a Safari for 15 Minute on my bike (I fled every ecounter what is no shiny) Then when I finally get a Shiny in that 15 Min I go to an other Safari. When I don`t have luck I go to the next. (You can give the Pokemon In your first slot an Smoke Ball, make it easy to fled)

Check

Definatly Baby Giratina
I just found a Shiny lampent In the friends safari so if you are still wondering if it has a higher rate of getting a shiny I say yes. On a side note yes finally my first wild shiny scene Fire red and Leaf green. Also I guess you can call this post a bump for the thread.

Reggie McGigas

-
Gaaah! Chaining is so hard! I got to a chain of like 31 Zoroark when I stepped on one that was shaking violently that turned out to be...a noctowl?

Is that even possible? One that is really a bad patch in disguise? If so, the pokeradar is the worst thing in x and y. Yes, it even beats out that hideous new type.

Also, there's this special music that makes shinies like really easy to find. That music has happened 6 times to no luck,

SCf3

Aspiring Trainer
Reggie McGigas said:
Gaaah! Chaining is so hard! I got to a chain of like 31 Zoroark when I stepped on one that was shaking violently that turned out to be...a noctowl?

Is that even possible? One that is really a bad patch in disguise? If so, the pokeradar is the worst thing in x and y. Yes, it even beats out that hideous new type.

Also, there's this special music that makes shinies like really easy to find. That music has happened 6 times to no luck,

A lot of the Youtube tutorials I've watched have said that sometimes you get really unlucky and your chain will just randomly break. ;_;

I started chaining/learned how to this past week... my highest is 42 with Skiddo. I'm trying to get a Shiny Skiddo or Minun at the moment.

Prince Dedenne

Elite Shiny Hunter
SCf3 said:
A lot of the Youtube tutorials I've watched have said that sometimes you get really unlucky and your chain will just randomly break. ;_;

I started chaining/learned how to this past week... my highest is 42 with Skiddo. I'm trying to get a Shiny Skiddo or Minun at the moment.

A little tip, once your chain has reached 40, don't walk into anymore patches. (unless it's glittery)
The shiny rate maxes out at 40 giving you the highest chance of finding a shiny. If you run in non-shiny patches after reaching 40, your taking a huge risk of breaking your chain. Once you reach 40, just keep reseting the radar until you find a shiny patch. :)

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
You also want to pick a good spot to reset, a spot that maximizes the patches spawned (after all 1/200 odds for all 5 patches) and have room to walk around the grass, god forbid you see the shiny patch but run into a decoy patch or the wrong one cause you couldn't see. Your chaim doesn't break when you leave the grass. It breaks when you are too far from the patches.

Also just keep trying. You might get a lucky break. My Furfrou broke 4 times around 20 but I got lucky at a point when the shiny patch appeared after 15! No upbeat music either! But if you do get the music reset the radar, it means the shiny patch odds went up. Although it doesn't guarantee a shiny patch will appear.

Myths you might wanna try.

Super Effective moves increases the likelihood of continuing the chain. I have no idea how true it is but I have been using it. Although my chains still break I still follow it anyway.

Catching the Pokemon increases the odds of continuing the chain up to 90%. Soooo there's still a 10% chance your chain could break for no reason. I dunno how true it is but I have used this on my Phantump and Scatterbug chain. I don't like catching 40 so I usually start catching around 20 or 30 depending on how rare the Pokemon is or how scared I am of breaking it.

Sometimes I YOLO patches I think look good but are on the edges. But afterwards my chain breaks even though I followed the rules. Just gotta be persistent!

Check

Definatly Baby Giratina
Also if your chaining in a dark place like a forest try to turn your brightness up or down that may help you determine if your getting the correct patch after the 1st on you tried.

catutie

Ahhhhh back.....er....kind of
MrSquarepants said:
You also want to pick a good spot to reset, a spot that maximizes the patches spawned (after all 1/200 odds for all 5 patches) and have room to walk around the grass, god forbid you see the shiny patch but run into a decoy patch or the wrong one cause you couldn't see. Your chaim doesn't break when you leave the grass. It breaks when you are too far from the patches.

Also just keep trying. You might get a lucky break. My Furfrou broke 4 times around 20 but I got lucky at a point when the shiny patch appeared after 15! No upbeat music either! But if you do get the music reset the radar, it means the shiny patch odds went up. Although it doesn't guarantee a shiny patch will appear.

Super Effective moves increases the likelihood of continuing the chain. I have no idea how true it is but I have been using it. Although my chains still break I still follow it anyway.

Catching the Pokemon increases the odds of continuing the chain up to 90%. Soooo there's still a 10% chance your chain could break for no reason. I dunno how true it is but I have used this on my Phantump and Scatterbug chain. I don't like catching 40 so I usually start catching around 20 or 30 depending on how rare the Pokemon is or how scared I am of breaking it.

Sometimes I YOLO patches I think look good but are on the edges. But afterwards my chain breaks even though I followed the rules. Just gotta be persistent!

I think I would be totally fine if they raised the chaining minimum (from about 30-40) in effort to quit breaking my chain.

Also stupid fun fact, you can't use your roller blades while chaining or it breaks the chain....why? I don't get why that happens.

SCf3

Aspiring Trainer
Prince Dedenne said:
SCf3 said:

A little tip, once your chain has reached 40, don't walk into anymore patches. (unless it's glittery)
The shiny rate maxes out at 40 giving you the highest chance of finding a shiny. If you run in non-shiny patches after reaching 40, your taking a huge risk of breaking your chain. Once you reach 40, just keep reseting the radar until you find a shiny patch. :)

Yeah see I made the dumb mistake the first time I hit 40, I walked into a patch and got an Abra instead of a Skiddo. I'll keep that in mind next time haha thanks!

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
catutie said:
MrSquarepants said:

I think I would be totally fine if they raised the chaining minimum (from about 30-40) in effort to quit breaking my chain.

Also stupid fun fact, you can't use your roller blades while chaining or it breaks the chain....why? I don't get why that happens.

It should have been 30 considering how much crappy patches they gave us through the game but unfortunately to get an early shiny your best bet is to hope for the upbeat music or hope to get it before. Stranger things have happen. Like when I just activated the radar and the first grass had a shiny Weedle. No shiny patch. Just normal. Sooo I guess even the normal 1/4096 shinies can still pop up. I probably got lucky from the soft resets as whenever a chain breaks or I don't encounter the Pokemon I want, I soft reset to save time and repels.

lovandra

not an ordinary cat
All this discussion make me want to shiny hunt myself.

Any advice where to start for newbie? I started hunt last night and I can't differ the shaking at all.... All look same -.-. Best chain only 10.

Also, how slow/fast usually u can you get shiny using Matsuda Method? My Rotom×Ditto give me eggs every 15 minutes *I think I break them*, but after 2 boxes, still no shiny.

Thank you for anyone mind to answering. I usually just play following the story line, but story line here kinda short and I'm still excited while waiting for pokebank/celebi :3.

Prince Dedenne

Elite Shiny Hunter
lovandra said:
All this discussion make me want to shiny hunt myself.

Any advice where to start for newbie? I started hunt last night and I can't differ the shaking at all.... All look same -.-. Best chain only 10.

Also, how slow/fast usually u can you get shiny using Matsuda Method? My Rotom×Ditto give me eggs every 15 minutes *I think I break them*, but after 2 boxes, still no shiny.

Thank you for anyone mind to answering. I usually just play following the story line, but story line here kinda short and I'm still excited while waiting for pokebank/celebi :3.

To me, chaining is the best way to catch shinies. I differ the grass patches by how tall they get when they shake. The taller and louder, the better.

Mesuda method on the other hand, is all down to luck. In Gen V, the chances of hatching a shiny were around 1/1600. Supposedly, in XY, the chances of finding shiny Pokémon has been halved. IF that's true, than you have a 1/800 chance of hatching a shiny. You might hatch a shiny on your third egg or your three-hundredth. Anyone who hatches a shiny under 60 eggs, (2 boxes full), are very lucky. So don't give up just because you haven't hatched one yet.
Hope I helped. :)

Reggie McGigas

-
Chain Fishing is a good way to get easy shinies for begginers. If you have a good eye, chaining is a good way to get shinies. Friend Safari (3 Shinies from it so far) and Madusa Method (0 but it does work) are also good ways to go and take a lot less patience and stress than chaining.

lovandra

not an ordinary cat
Prince Dedenne said:
To me, chaining is the best way to catch shinies. I differ the grass patches by how tall they get when they shake. The taller and louder, the better.

Mesuda method on the other hand, is all down to luck. In Gen V, the chances of hatching a shiny were around 1/1600. Supposedly, in XY, the chances of finding shiny Pokémon has been halved. IF that's true, than you have a 1/800 chance of hatching a shiny. You might hatch a shiny on your third egg or your three-hundredth. Anyone who hatches a shiny under 60 eggs, (2 boxes full), are very lucky. So don't give up just because you haven't hatched one yet.
Hope I helped. :)
So it will be easier if I turn on the sound?? *cause I rarely do this*.
Also, what I have is normal 3ds not XL one, is it the reason looking for the shaking is harder for me?
I'll make sure pay attention about how tall the grass next time. Thanks for the advice :3.

Reggie McGigas said:
Chain Fishing is a good way to get easy shinies for begginers. If you have a good eye, chaining is a good way to get shinies. Friend Safari (3 Shinies from it so far) and Madusa Method (0 but it does work) are also good ways to go and take a lot less patience and stress than chaining.
I'm not interesting in any shiny 'fish' for now. But many people said chain fishing is way more easier, so maybe I'll try it when I failed or frustrate with grass-chaining. Thanks for the advise :3.
And good luck with your hunt!