General Writing Discussion Thread | Current Topic: NaNoWriMo

RE: Writer's Lounge

Unique Username said:
You are too kind, my friend. Nevertheless, I am glad that you won. I am excited to participate in the next round and write an entry. I have been dabbling in turn-based RP stories for approximately nine years – both in writing forums and with a partner. In my opinion, this is the most exciting writing contest for my interests. I have been eager to return to turn-based RPs for quite a while, now. I haven’t been able to find a new partner, though :<
Not to totally derail the conversation, but I would seriously like to do an RP with you, but I have an utter lack of creativity at the moment and won't be able to contribute to the plot if we did.

The Fallen One said:
Slightly off-topic, who are all your favorite authors? I'd imagine at least some of you read on a fairly regular basis if you write.

I surprisingly do not read – at least, not frequently. I think the last novels I read were part of a trilogy, called ‘The Conclave of Shadows’, by Raymond E. Feist. Otherwise, I read magazines or articles. In recent years, I used to read fantasy and urban fantasy novels. My favourite authors were Raymond E. Feist and Patricia Briggs. My preferred literary genre had been previously allocated to historical fiction; my favourite story was the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I am also rather fond of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s writing style, though I have yet to read his works.

@Apollo – Intriguingly, I had a conversation regarding the diminishing influence of cursive a couple of weeks ago. It is interesting how certain people may abruptly remember everything when it is mentioned or brought into discussion. I tested my ability – and memory, with amusing results. I couldn’t remember a capital D, and struggled to apply it to paper. I had to ponder a moment or two for certain uppercase letters, yet nothing too troublesome. I had no difficulty with the lowercase letters whatsoever.

I write with a very bizarre compilation of cursive and print; some letters may act as cursive and others stand firm as print. I haven’t written in pure cursive since writing a letter for a friend approximately one year ago.

@Zyflair – I would love to RP with you!

Zyflair said:
I have an utter lack of creativity at the moment

No worries, I understand. If you ever experience a resurgence of creative energy, let me know :3

@Apollo: Dan Brown all the way. Angels & Demons, I'm reading now. But Deception Point, that was probably his greatest work, and my favorite book.

I also read King and Koontz, and am trying to get into Grisham and Michael Crichton. King: The Dead Zone, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and am working on The Stand. Koontz: Watchers (Highly recommend), Hideaway, Mr. Murder, they all are pretty similar. An underworld beast on the run in every one. Grisham: Just The Client. And I'm working on Next by Crichton.

Am I on a high level for my age, Apollo? (Just wondering...)

~AoH

Slightly off-topic, who are all your favorite authors?
At the risk of sounding cheesy?

Jules Verne.

My three favorite books (Around the World in Eighty Days, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, and Journey to the Center of the Earth) are all written by him.

His style of adventure writing carries with it a certain captivation that's almost mind-boggling, yet down-to-earth enough to understand (no pun intended). I've read each one at least twice.

The Fallen One said:
Slightly off-topic, who are all your favorite authors? I'd imagine at least some of you read on a fairly regular basis if you write. I love Garth Nix, Kenneth Oppel, and Orson Scott Card.

Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl series) is probably my favorite author. I'm actally doing a book report on one of his/her books.

The Round-Robin II has gotten approved finally, so signups will go on until their filled like last time. Also, voting is open for the Haiku contest if anyone's interested.

I know, I probably shouldn't announce stuff here, but I just want to get the word out while stuff's current. *shrugs*

Maybe if you can get a bulletin board installed on these forum, you wouldn't have to do it.

Who needs a bulletin board when you have...

/me drumroll

...a PORTAL!?

Too lame? Yeah, I thought so too. But I think just so long as we know we should be fine.

The Portal has helped a little with promoting things, but if anyone's like me, sometimes they might just ignore it and come to the forums to check stuff out on their own, which is why it might help to post reminders here once in a while.

If I ever read the portal, it's because the name changes were in bold, and the black was very attracting at the time....
That's all I've ever read on the entire portal...

Hello. How is everybody doing? I am about to post my Elemental Fighters book. This was my very first successful book and should sound awesome. Hope somebody could check it out once I post it.

I thought I already told you I would give it a critique if you post it. How soon can we expect it, though?

hey all hows it going? does anybody like the quote i made? [typing on Wii is difficult]

I'm presuming you mean the quote in your sig, in which case the only problem is here:

...say it's grand

You just needed an apostrophe in the "it's" before "grand" since you mean for it to be a contraction of "it is" and not the possessive form "its." Also, yeah, it takes a while to learn how write well when you're not using an actual computer for Internet activities (Case in-point: Most of my activity is via my phone's mobile web when I can't get to my local library to use its Wi-Fi. The buttons are small, so it takes me a while to properly write things out).

I was thinking if I should write a stroy about a giant Pokemon war. It would have some violence (deaths, but NO blood or gore of any kind), but nothing that puts a graphical image in your head. It would be about 5th Gen Pokemon, and would include the first mythical Pokemon of Unova: Keldeo. Some major charicters would be Virizion, Terrakion, Golurk, Cobalion, Reshiram, Zekrom, Braviary, Hydreigon, Haxorus, and many Accelgor, Beartic, Escavalier, and Bisharp (they would be the soldiers in the armies). It would also have a Pokemon from generation 1, 2, 3, or 4, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. Good idea?

Yes, it's a good idea. But that's only based by my experience. ATI should let you know if it's a good idea or not. ;)

War's a bit of an iffy concept to put into writing. In environments like here, you either run the risk of being too detailed with the whole thing, or not detailed enough and watering everything down.
Granted I will say the idea looks good on paper, but the part where you transfer your thoughts to the keyboard, and do so in a manner that's both accurate and pleasing, is the difficult bit. But I'm sure that you should be able to do at least well on it.

If you're talking about war, focus not on the battles but the plot of the war. We all know what a battle scene is like. We want what's more fresh: the plot.

I have ideas for it, and the battle scenes are more geared toward the plot of the story than just for action. There also won't be as much fighting as stuff about the plot.

Back