General Writing Discussion Thread | Current Topic: NaNoWriMo

I

Incinermyn

RE: Writer's Lounge

War isn't a subject I put much stake in myself. While I write about bloodfueds and personal conflicts between characters, they don't esculate into full-scale seiges between nations/clans/groups/etc.

Frankly, though, it does sound like it has potential. But like Zy said, you have to focus on the plot or (more so) the purpose of the war itself.

Zekrom Black

Banner made by me! :D Avatar from Serebii.net!

From waht I have planed, there will be only a few sntences about the main war. The storyline makes scense with everything, but it's sort of comlicated. It's one of those things where you have to wait until more like the middle to completely understand what's going on.

Zekrom Black

It's like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. You don't really know who's the true villian at the beginning....some charicters don't fully explain themselves...things aren't what they originaly seem....

Zyflair

Yes, sir. Of course, sir.
Advanced Member

Fair enough, but make at least some parts clear in the beginning.

Zekrom Black

Most of it is. Not everything is unclear, and it's not too long until It all becomes clear. I'll be starting tomrrow.

MrGatr

Goin Rogue Baby :DDD

^Might I advise you if you decide to portray death, or casualties, you might wanna think about it, before just throwing it out.
(That is why Chapter 3 on the games is gonna be so late, I'm still deciding who should die, if anyone.)

#1weavile

I'm still alive =)

I have trouble extending my paragraphs they are usually 3 or 4 typed lines long and I've read j.k. Rowling and compared to her I'm an old hair tie. I want to be known but i can't seem to extend my paragraphs to describe much at all. :(

Zyflair

Yes, sir. Of course, sir.
Advanced Member

Well, first, how do you try to describe something?

The Fallen One

COWER, MORTALS

Yeah I have a rather large-scale war planned for the end of...well actually for all 3 of the main books I've planned. Granted the focus of the first is a contest between mage and god, but regardless I'm not exactly looking forward to describing that. Giant battles don't sound fun at all to describe.

MrGatr

Giant battle have 1,000 events happening at once. It'd take a GREAT author to somehow describe that, and give you a good mental picture. Even then, everything happens so fast in war, you'd have to have like 5 chapters to one characters battle, in order to get the point across on what's happening. Even then you have to lead up to the battle, give hints, and explain powers... I'm never gonna do a large scale battle in anything I write. Even then death is just hard to portray, because you'd need some good first hand experience to explain it to the Knuckle heads world.

@Detailing
If you're trying to detail something large, add color, texture, and even smell if it's alive. Generally small things don't need details, just saying "There sitting on the tall oblong table was a small vase" works for most writings.

BTW don't compare yourself to her, Harry Potter has as many hatters in the world as it has fans. I'd compare it to a book that no one hates, and everyone is at least ok with.

Zekrom Black

MrGatr said:
^Might I advise you if you decide to portray death, or casualties, you might wanna think about it, before just throwing it out.
(That is why Chapter 3 on the games is gonna be so late, I'm still deciding who should die, if anyone.)

Any deaths won't have any gore at all. Like in the Pokemon movies, they just die with almost no scars when they have had enough and their too weak to continue with their lives. Many Pokemon's pokedex entries talk about how the Pokemon violently rip apart their prey. I won't have any of that. When you think about it, Pokemon is very violent offscrene.

MrGatr

Well, it's still going to be really hard to portray death. I'm just suggesting you think it over really well.

I

Incinermyn

Many Pokemon's pokedex entries talk about how the Pokemon violently rip apart their prey.

In my story Biohazard, I describe how a monstrously oversized leech jabs its "tongue" into a Charizard's neck, literally makes its way into the dragon's heart, and then starts sucking all of its blood out. I then go on to describe how the victim's body is nothing more than a dried-out corpse to leave a really sinister impression. Finally, I talk about how the monster itself feels drunk off its prey's blood. So really, describing some gore is necessary to actively portray a scene of death. Anything up to about PG-13 (or similar rating if you don't live in the US) is fine so long as it doesn't get into full-blown mutiliation.

Still, there is the issue of creating believable deaths, especially since Pokemon falls into the category of fantasy and sci-fi to begin with. Personally, I'd just play on things lightly to start...

Zekrom Black

I posted chapter 1, and it has one death. Hopefully, I "portrayed it well enough."

I

Incinermyn

For some reason he deleted it... :( He probably got a little spooked after Yoshi left him a critique that told him he needed to double-space his paragraphs. I was going to tell him it was fine so long as he fixed that issue soon, but the thread was gone before I could post saying that. I left a note on his profile to that effect too. I haven't heard back, though...

Zekrom Black

I deleted it. Somebody commented that there was all of this extra stuff you had to do when writing (like having spaces between dialog). I'm only in 5th grade, so I don't know what I'm doing. I'm saving the idea for when I know more about writing. Plus, it took and hour to make the first chapter, so I'm not planning or re-typing it anytime soon. I'm so bad at writing, that there were 3 words in the last sentence that I don't know if I spelled right (I'm not kidding)!

Zorua

Zedd
Advanced Member

If anyone cares/didn't know, I updated my poetry thread with 4 more poems.

Check em' out if you get any time and let me know what you think :)

The Yoshi

Wumbo

Zekrom Black said:
I deleted it. Somebody commented that there was all of this extra stuff you had to do when writing (like having spaces between dialog). I'm only in 5th grade, so I don't know what I'm doing. I'm saving the idea for when I know more about writing. Plus, it took and hour to make the first chapter, so I'm not planning or re-typing it anytime soon. I'm so bad at writing, that there were 3 words in the last sentence that I don't know if I spelled right (I'm not kidding)!

ok now I feel terrible

I didn't think it would make you delete your piece. I mean, I guess I was being a little harsh, but that's how you get better, right? I think you do know what you are doing, but you just rushed the first chapter. That was all I meant, and I didn't want you to delete it. Now I feel like a jerk. :[