General Writing Discussion Thread | Current Topic: NaNoWriMo

RE: Writer's Lounge

^That reminded me of the scene from the movie Galaxy Quest when the captain's on the way to the Omega-13 device, but he has to jump between alternating on-and-off jets of fire, and a lot of spikes. That setting might be appropriate for a death or two.

You know, the scene where the woman says "Whoever wrote this scene should die!"
...and if you don't get the ref, go watch Galaxy Quest.

@MrGatr: I'm not modest at all; I'm being truthful.

@DNA... Dude, you're like the most modest person I know, your writings were really enjoyable ;D

What the poop is Galaxy Quest...

And never mind, I found a way...

MrGatr said:
@DNA... Dude, your like the most modest person I know, your writings were really enjoyable ;D

What the poop is Galaxy Quest...

And never mind, I found a way...

A B-list (or C-list) movie from the late 1990's, early 2000's starring Tim Allen and a couple other decent actors. Basically it was about a Star Trek-like show that ultimately flopped, but aliens thought the actors were real space adventurers and went the extra length to recruit them to save their race (even making a complete replica of the spaceship from the in-movie series). That's all I remember anyways... It wasn't one of Tim Allen's better films, but still noteworthy.

Apollo the Incinermyn said:
A B-list (or C-list) movie from the late 1990's, early 2000's starring Tim Allen and a couple other decent actors. Basically it was about a Star Trek-like show that ultimately flopped, but aliens thought the actors were real space adventurers and went the extra length to recruit them to save their race (even making a complete replica of the spaceship from the in-movie series). That's all I remember anyways... It wasn't one of Tim Allen's better films, but still noteworthy.

Alan Rickman and Tony Shaloub were the best actors from that movie imo. Tim Allen was...Tim Allen lol.

@Zyflair: Ever read Malice? Be warned...it's very purple. Even more purple than this post.

@MrGatr: As Ganon just pointed out...it's "you're", not "your". And are you subtly implying you want another Nightmare chapter?

@DNA - I think Zyflair was addressing The Fallen One. I came in second place, not first. In addition, Zyflair has already taken a look at Malice; as evidenced by his comment :p

Yes. I am aware of how excruciatingly painful my writing style is. I don't need to be reminded of my incessant failure (T^T)

@DNA
What, I don't see what you're talking about!

No... I am in the middle of proofreading you can't read bro!

DNA just assumed you'd win because you're that awesome, UU. ;3

Hey, if anyone wants to check out my poetry thread, and take some time to read some, I'd love to hear any and all feedack! :D

Zyflair said:
And what have you written in the WC besides the winning entry in the RR contest? ;P

I posted my prologues. THEY COUNT. D:

Unique Username said:
@DNA - I think Zyflair was addressing The Fallen One. I came in second place, not first. In addition, Zyflair has already taken a look at Malice; as evidenced by his comment :p

Yes. I am aware of how excruciatingly painful my writing style is. I don't need to be reminded of my incessant failure (T^T)

I totally thought you should have gotten first. D: You have an awesome and descriptive writing style.

Zyflair said:
DNA just assumed you'd win because you're that awesome, UU. ;3
I did what now?
... ...
... ...
...Oh.
This is the kind of stuff that happens when I misread quote boxes.
MrGatr said:
What, I don't see what you're talking about!
Let me explain.
MrGatr said:
@DNA
Dude your too modest!
The Fallen One said:
How about now?

@Zyflair – (Chuckles) I wish I was that awesome x3

@The Fallen One - Aww, shucks -^_^-

You are too kind, my friend. Nevertheless, I am glad that you won. I am excited to participate in the next round and write an entry. I have been dabbling in turn-based RP stories for approximately nine years – both in writing forums and with a partner. In my opinion, this is the most exciting writing contest for my interests. I have been eager to return to turn-based RPs for quite a while, now. I haven’t been able to find a new partner, though :<

I attempted to write in a simpler style, once. The results were very frustrating and unpleasant. I had to work harder to accomplish anything – go figure xD

@DNA, I get it...
lol I failed

@The topic at hand
I never had the time to enter those, but they seem fun, I like my occasional Haiku contests though

Unique Username said:
@Zyflair – (Chuckles) I wish I was that awesome x3

@The Fallen One - Aww, shucks -^_^-

You are too kind, my friend. Nevertheless, I am glad that you won. I am excited to participate in the next round and write an entry. I have been dabbling in turn-based RP stories for approximately nine years – both in writing forums and with a partner. In my opinion, this is the most exciting writing contest for my interests. I have been eager to return to turn-based RPs for quite a while, now. I haven’t been able to find a new partner, though :<

I attempted to write in a simpler style, once. The results were very frustrating and unpleasant. I had to work harder to accomplish anything – go figure xD

I think description is one of my tougher points to cover. How much is too much and how much is too little? That question plagues me every time I write. I always get so nervous and I can't wait until I take some creative writing courses in college so I can learn techniques and such.

Slightly off-topic, who are all your favorite authors? I'd imagine at least some of you read on a fairly regular basis if you write. I love Garth Nix, Kenneth Oppel, and Orson Scott Card.

The Fallen One said:
I think description is one of my tougher points to cover. How much is too much and how much is too little?
If you have to ask if it's too much, it's too much. If you have to ask if it's too little, it's too little.

My favorite fiction authors are Neil Gaiman, Arthur C. Clarke, Douglas Adams, and Isaac Asimov.

The Fallen One said:
I think description is one of my tougher points to cover. How much is too much and how much is too little? That question plagues me every time I write. I always get so nervous and I can't wait until I take some creative writing courses in college so I can learn techniques and such.

Slightly off-topic, who are all your favorite authors? I'd imagine at least some of you read on a fairly regular basis if you write. I love Garth Nix, Kenneth Oppel, and Orson Scott Card.

I always find it better to try and aim to go a little overboard when it comes to description. I'd even liken it to my trade of carpet installion, wherein if you come up just short or just exact on the amount of material you need, it becomes very difficult to do a good-looking job because stuff might have to be patched in as you go to make up the difference.

Anyways, there are only a few authors I've actually liked and followed the works off. My favorite was Dan Brown, author of The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. However, his book The Lost Symbol sort of killed stuff for me as far as continuations from it and the previous books I just mentioned go.

Also, I was wondering for a little while now if anyone else wrote in cursive regularly? I got kind of an interesting reaction on chat today when I shared a picture of one of my Fakemon and someone asked about how much I actually use cursive (which is almost all the time). Before, I was going to ask if anyone else still did in real life because I'd heard it's actually being phased out of schools' curriculums.

Back