Future Metagame Speculation Thread

RE: Future Metagame Speculation

I don't see why you would ever want to use that. Discarding possibly precious resources for 1 more card then Cheren? There is literally no point to it.

Oh yeah. Cheren. Discarding that card would even out the extra card. I am going to hate the next format >:[

You could use Team Plasma Grunt as a supporter in plasma.dec but you'd only want to discard plasma energy and nothing else. Other that that very minor thing it is practically useless.

Riskbreakers said:
Jakeupp said:
I get what he means, it just feels weird to call slapping down basics setting up :p

Well hey, that's more setup than you'll ever get from Blastpony anyway. Nothing weird about it.

I just don't support big basic "toolbox" decks. It reminds me of Tsubasa Nakamura's Crowned Tiger world championship deck from 2009. I would really hate to see the format move in the direction of SP-like play. All basic decks are boring and are especially lazy in this format. I like the idea of evolving pokemon leading to something good such as an ability or a strong attack. I feel that all these big basic decks being played shows a lack of creativity and unfortunately shows that people do want a format where it's just beat-down and whoever draws better wins.

Jakeupp said:
Riskbreakers said:
Well hey, that's more setup than you'll ever get from Blastpony anyway. Nothing weird about it.

I just don't support big basic "toolbox" decks. It reminds me of Tsubasa Nakamura's Crowned Tiger world championship deck from 2009. I would really hate to see the format move in the direction of SP-like play. All basic decks are boring and are especially lazy in this format. I like the idea of evolving pokemon leading to something good such as an ability or a strong attack. I feel that all these big basic decks being played shows a lack of creativity and unfortunately shows that people do want a format where it's just beat-down and whoever draws better wins.

Oh come on, Blastoise is miles more boring than Big Basics. Big basics at least makes you think on which EXs to use depending on your meta and matchup which doesn't give it one clear linear win condition path. Blastoise however is very linear. You just put down keldeo and burger king EX and that's your deck, that's your strategy. It does not change from matchup after matchup. Makes the deck completely boring beyond belief.

This format is already beat-down and whoever draws wins anyway. Even the Stage 2 decks show no skill to play. PKK and Blastoise are auto-pilot. DarkHydreigon is the least auto-pilot Stage 2 deck and it doesn't win much anymore due to the sheer speed the format has.

Basically in a nutshell. There is no such thing as a "control set-up" deck in Pokemon that can be competitive. Blastoise and PKK both belong to beatdown set-up and that is as boring as it gets. This format will never get interesting for the next year or two or three.

I agree with Riskbreakers for the most part. However I think Cradily will bring a lot of variety back to the game because it will let you speed play stage 2's. I could see a Cradily, Empoleon, Garchomp deck becoming quite powerful or maybe it's just my imagination...or more of my hope haha :D

I would love to see a gardevoir/gothitelle/mewtwo/cradily/leavanny deck just bring havoc haha

It won't be speedy, I can tell you that much. You're looking at a T3 set up if you're lucky.

Think about how long and inconsistent Cradily's set up is. Assuming you hit the T1 Lileep and Energy and a T2 Cradily, 2nd Energy, and a Life Explosion, you STILL won't be even doing damage by turn 3. And that's assuming you literally have a perfect first two turns. That's pretty rough considering the speed of the current format (although some of the OP fast stuff might get rotated out). Even then, you'd probably rather just have a giant basic out attacking then one of the Stage 2's. The only real reason to use Cradily is to pull off some crazy combos with the ability Stage 2's (like Dusknoir), but I still don't think it's worth it considering the inconsistency and slow set up it has.

Disclaimer: We don't know the next format so I may be completely wrong. Based on the rotation and meta at that point, anything could be possible.

We can pass judgement on that fossil once the rotation is announced. Given what we know right now, Cradily is still a very slow deck that needs a lot of setup which is punished by most of the decks now.

I want Cradilly to be good, but right now, I don't see it. MAYBE with Mew EX someone will make a cool deck, but it would require a lot of space and deck specific cards. It at least has potential.

It looks like Genesect and Virizion are going to big cards of the set. (Virizion protects you from lasers, that alone makes grass pokemon playable).

I also think Jirachi will be huge. The ability near broken.

For non EXes, I think Haxorus will be big. It keeps plasma pokemon in check and can hold it's own against other stuff with Dragon Axe. This might be one of the few stage 2s that will be worth the effort to bring out.

Another stage 2 I think might see play is Porygon Z. It's kind of like the Hydreigon of plasma pokemon. You can't move all your energy around, but it's one of the few things that lets you move special energy,

As for the trainers: Silver Bangle = Broken. Finally something to put EXes in check. Combined with Virbank/Lasers, you're doing 60 extra damage from trainers alone (and that's not counting the damage they take if they don't retreat).

pokedan24 said:
I want Cradilly to be good, but right now, I don't see it. MAYBE with Mew EX someone will make a cool deck, but it would require a lot of space and deck specific cards. It at least has potential. Its better to evolve through RC. You don't waste a turn.

It looks like Genesect and Virizion are going to big cards of the set. (Virizion protects you from lasers, that alone makes grass pokemon playable). Might be. Maybe not the better one but I could see it jumping in the meta. I would say around T2 or maybe (depending on the decks in the moment) T1.5 but I don't see it near the BDIF spot.

I also think Jirachi will be huge. The ability near broken. Jirachi's poor HP while giving 2 prizes makes the card terrible. 2 free prizes, its easier to KO than Celebi. Only in KK, it might be good.

For non EXes, I think Haxorus will be big. It keeps plasma pokemon in check and can hold it's own against other stuff with Dragon Axe. This might be one of the few stage 2s that will be worth the effort to bring out. I would like it but stage 2 attackers haven't done good in the format.It also needs fighting and metal energy.

Another stage 2 I think might see play is Porygon Z. It's kind of like the Hydreigon of plasma pokemon. You can't move all your energy around, but it's one of the few things that lets you move special energy, I tried to assemble a Porygon/Virizion/Deoxys/Genesect but space is no where to be found. It had Lugia so that might have been the problem (but if there is no Lugia, there would be no point in running Porygon-Z)

As for the trainers: Silver Bangle = Broken. Finally something to put EXes in check. Combined with Virbank/Lasers, you're doing 60 extra damage from trainers alone (and that's not counting the damage they take if they don't retreat). IDK about this one. Being a tool and with the rise of Garbodor, tool scrapper will be played more. It can be pretty good.

My opinions in bold. The meta might change specially with a rotation coming. I really don't see any interesting cards that can get into the meta other than Genesect and Virizion. Cradily will be a rogue which I don't really see the point on it. Porygon might be played in Plasma as a 1-0-1 if it doesn't take out consistency and/or space.

Flygon2071 said:
pokedan24 said:
As for the trainers: Silver Bangle = Broken. Finally something to put EXes in check. Combined with Virbank/Lasers, you're doing 60 extra damage from trainers alone (and that's not counting the damage they take if they don't retreat). IDK about this one. Being a tool and with the rise of Garbodor, tool scrapper will be played more. It can be pretty good.

I don't see Garbodor doing that well. It did pretty well the first week of States, but I don't think anyone really expected it. Now, most people are playing Big Basics which is essentially Garbodor minus the Stage 1 and some of the tools, making Garbodor useless against a top tier deck. Of course the format will definitely shift by then (this is two sets away). But Garbodor didn't stop Darkrai from playing Dark Claw or other tools entirely. I really like Silver Bangle; mainly because you can use Gold Breaker with HTL for 180! Bouffalant will be big when this card is released.

I made some changes to my deck... Hope you guys find that it okay :)
Pokémon:
3 Deoxys EX
2 Thundurus EX
1 Lugia EX
2 Kyerum
1 Sigilyph / Mr mime/Latias EX

Trainers:
2 Plasma Ball
3 Ultra Ball
4 Colress Machine
4 Pokémon Catcher
3 Float Stone
2 Switch
2 Virbank City Gym
1 Scramble Switch
4 Hypnotoxic laser
1 Max Potion

Supporters:
4 Juniper
3 N
3 Colress/ 1 Ghetsis
2 Skyla

Energy:
2 DCE
4 Plasma Energy
4 Prism Energy
3 Blend Energy

I would like if you guys coukd guve me some feed back on it and help me out, so I can keep improving it :)

Well, a couple little things. One, you have too much energy and not enough supporters. I'd drop, at minimum, a blend for a 4th N. I'd also take out the random tech in the pokemon lines for a Snorlax to help the Klinklang/Darkrai matchup.

Puff-Sun said:
Well, a couple little things. One, you have too much energy and not enough supporters. I'd drop, at minimum, a blend for a 4th N. I'd also take out the random tech in the pokemon lines for a Snorlax to help the Klinklang/Darkrai matchup.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it... I also realise now that I need more supporters:)
How exactly does the snorlax give me a significant advantage over darkrai tho... Im not really seeing it .

Snorlax OHKO's Darkrais like there's no tomorrow once you hit full bench. And I would take out that Sigilyph for a 3rd Thundurus EX

Plus they can't retreat so you can Catcher stall Darkrai (which is a funny thought). They can Rush In with Keldeo, but then they have no way to retreat Keldeo. In fact, it makes T2 Darkrais very difficult. If they start Sableye, they can power up a benched Darkrai, but have no way to get it Active. If they start Darkrai, they can actually get a T2 Darkrai, but they can't Junk Hunt for resources.

The only way out is if your opponent is running Darkrai/Rope and not Darkrai/Keldeo

Back