Future Metagame Speculation Thread

RE: Future Metagame Speculation

Who thinks we'll be seeing plasma decks with no basic energy?

Four plasma is a given.
If the deck uses all basics, four prism would be manditory.
If the deck uses Kyurem or Landorus (w plasma badge) as backup attackers, WLFM covers the non colorless costs of them.
Plasma badge lets you easily pull off a first turn goldbreaker (Bouffalant) or powerblast (Thundurus EX) so DCE could find it's way into those decks.
Most importantly, Thundurus lets you reuse those energy, so once they're gone, they won't stay gone.

Even with all the anti special energy cards, playing blend or prism energy seems like it would be the way to go. The format seems to be shifting toward cheap fast attackers that don't need much energy so why not play energy that covers a multitude of types?

Also, with the format speeding up even more, I see computer search being the go to ace spec in a lot of decks to pull off those devisistating first turns.

I think that cradily is okay. I'm pretty sure some mad genius guy deck builder will find out some perfect engine. But cradily decks take creativity to make, so there's a lot of possible stage 2 decks now.

Computer search is , right now , the best ace spec in most decks, but wouldn't it be nice if two or three of the new ace specs were used alot, and for good reason? That would complicate the format and give it skill base. Along with this, there is the rise of the stage two possibility. I think that the stage two engine will find root in the next format, maybe around December or maybe a little earlier. I can't wait for another format like the DP-on format!

Thunder Crown said:
I think that cradily is okay. I'm pretty sure some mad genius guy deck builder will find out some perfect engine. But cradily decks take creativity to make, so there's a lot of possible stage 2 decks now.

The one thing I like about Cradily is that it lets you control what you start with. You could make that quad sigilyph deck that guarantees you starting with one, but you can still attack with other things. Same thing with those high HP EXes. You get to start with an EX, but you're not sol against klingklang or sigilyph.

Who thinks Colorless plasma will be big? Plasma Badge + Colress Machine + DCE = many broken first turn attacks.

Bouffalant can do 120 to any EX and that's before Deoxys adds damage.

Tornadus EX (Dark) can do 100+ first turn

Tornadus EPO can do 80+

And there's always good old Mewtwo EX.

Even without plasma badge, we can still do 120 with Lugia or Tornadus EX (plasma freeze), but that takes two colress machines to pull off. The ones listeded above can do it for just 1.

Bouffalant is NOT a plasma Pokemon. Niether is Tornadus EX. And Niether is Tornadus. And Niether is Mewtwo. You officially have made my day with the best epic fail. Deoxys doesn't help any of those Pokemon. But Lugia and Tornadus PLS EX maybe. Hypnotoxic is the way to go for Tornadus.(That's 130 on just YOUR turn, before their next end of turn). Epic Fail Like a Boss. Don't worry though, I've done it too.

lrn2read - Blah

jwalquis0388 said:
Bouffalant is NOT a plasma Pokemon. Niether is Tornadus EX. And Niether is Tornadus. And Niether is Mewtwo. You officially have made my day with the best epic fail. Deoxys doesn't help any of those Pokemon. But Lugia and Tornadus PLS EX maybe. Hypnotoxic is the way to go for Tornadus.(That's 130 on just YOUR turn, before their next end of turn). Epic Fail Like a Boss. Don't worry though, I've done it too.

Looks like you missed where he said Plasma Badge. However, I don't think most of those will be that good anyway because Plasma Badge and some Deoxys t1 is necessary to get any advantage over what they could already do, and those cards aren't currently played for the turn 1 hits,

pokedan24 said:
Who thinks Colorless plasma will be big? Plasma Badge + Colress Machine + DCE = many broken first turn attacks.

Tornadus EPO can do 80+

Even without plasma badge, we can still do 120 with Lugia or Tornadus EX (plasma freeze), but that takes two colress machines to pull off. The ones listeded above can do it for just 1.

I think this will be huge with Bouffalant. That being said I'll also say that any pokemon with lightning weakness is almost completely unplayable against Thundurus EX. A full bench of Deoxys EX means Thundurus for 140 for 1 basic energy. Not to mention lasers plus virbank gym can put that up to 170. That fact that Tornadus EX can be donked in the upcoming format using a basic energy attachment and a few item cards is still blowing my mind. R.I.P. Tornadus and Empoleon decks.

Fighting types like Landorus can help with the Lightning weaknesses of some of the Pokemon. Just an idea.

dmaster out.

Jakeupp said:
pokedan24 said:

Tornadus EPO can do 80+

I think this will be huge with Bouffalant. That being said I'll also say that any pokemon with lightning weakness is almost completely unplayable against Thundurus EX. A full bench of Deoxys EX means Thundurus for 140 for 1 basic energy. Not to mention lasers plus virbank gym can put that up to 170. That fact that Tornadus EX can be donked in the upcoming format using a basic energy attachment and a few item cards is still blowing my mind. R.I.P. Tornadus and Empoleon decks.

I'm really curious on your math.. You know you can only run 4 of a card in a deck? That means a full bench of deoxys = 4 deoxys = +40 damage. Thundurus's first attack has a base damage of 30. That's 70 damage max, and with laser/bank it bumps it up to 100 for one energy.

70 doubles into 140 from weakness. Combine with HTL and you get 170, OHKOing Tornadus EX (the non plasma one).

Blah said:
70 doubles into 140 from weakness. Combine with HTL and you get 170, OHKOing Tornadus EX (the non plasma one).

Ahh that makes a lot more sense! Thank you for clearing that up :p.

However, bouffalant and other 130hp pokemon will see a decrease in play due to Lugia ex which now has 2 energy acceleration options... colress machine and thundurus ex, therefore being able to easily knowck out these pokemon with the help of a few doexys or laser.... and still taking 2 prizes for it...

Also, I expect to see Terrakion NVI/BCR to see a rise in popularity again, just after Plasma Freeze becomes legal

sammy876 said:
However, bouffalant and other 130hp pokemon will see a decrease in play due to Lugia ex which now has 2 energy acceleration options... colress machine and thundurus ex, therefore being able to easily knowck out these pokemon with the help of a few doexys or laser.... and still taking 2 prizes for it...

But Bouffalant can deal a decent 150 with Laser (if they can't get out of sleep, it's a KO going into your turn, and things like Zekrom, Black Kyurem, and Rayquaza still have their uses like hiting for Weakness and being non-EX for Klinklang.

Just wondering does anybody know if Genesect/Virizion is a popular deck in Japan? I can't find much information about their current metagame online.

Fatality said:
Just wondering does anybody know if Genesect/Virizion is a popular deck in Japan? I can't find much information about their current metagame online.

Judging by how expensive and quickly Genesect and Virizion are selling over there right now I'd say yes. The R Genesect is going for 10$+ with FA going for 17$+

Jirachi, Lugia, and Cobalion cost the second most from what I've seen if that means anything.

So it seems that Jirachi is actually playing? Still, their meta is way different from ours, I still don't understand why they don't play Garbodor

Because when DRX was released, everyone was packing scrapper so no one wanted to play Garb. It kinda just stayed that way, even though people dropped their Scrapper techs.

If the highest price of an EX is 17$, then most of them must be pretty bad lol. The good EX's here generally sell for 25-30$ if they aren't promo.

Back