Future Metagame Speculation Thread

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
This thread can be used for any sort of speculation or discussion about what the future metagame will look like after the English release of any currently Japanese-exclusive sets. Feel free to discuss cards, decks, or anything else about upcoming formats that you think we are going to see. Please keep all discussion on topic and civil.

RE: The Official Black and White-On Metagame Speculation Thread

I think the top tier decks will be these (not in any order):
Hydreigon/darkrai ex
Garchomp/altaria (depending on whether or not the dragon call gabite comes out or not)
zekeels
terrakion ex/mewtwo ex/boufalant (dragons exalted)
I think stage 2's will become much more playable BW-on
It will be much more balanced than HGSS-on
The trainer staples will be juniper, bianca, N, and cheren, along with level ball, heavy ball, ultra ball, eviolite, and large cloak. Maybe pokemon communication.

Some of the decks that will be played will include (in no particular order:)
Zekrom/Raikou/Eelektrik
Hydreigon/Darkrai EX
Garchomp/Altaria
Empoleon variants
Terrakion/Mewtwo rush
Possibly RayEels

Staples for trainers are juniper, n, bianca, random receiver, and the ball engine.

My Tier list based on what I think will be played and/or win alot.

Tier 1 (in no order)
ZekEels with Raikou and/or Terrakion
Darkrai varients (mainly Hammers and Hyrdreigon)
GarTaria
Terrakion varients
Quad Entei? (can't decide whether it's in Tier 1 or 1.5)

Tier 1.5
Klinklang varients
TrollDon (otherwise known as Quad Groudon with healing Items)
Tornadus/Aerodactyl donk
Quad Entei with Volcarona (slower than normal Quad Entei and uses 8 more spaces in your deck)

Tier 2
Empoleon (wanted to put this in Tier 1.5, but I'm not sure if it's good enough)
RayEels

There's probably more decks than that, I just can't think of any right now.

The format will defenatly be more balanced than HGSS-on, HGSS-on hardly has any room for Stage 2s and while it does have some interesting decks, it's not very diverse.

The format will change, alot. Just to name a few important cards, we lose Pokemon Collector, Professor Oak's New Theory, Dual Ball and Smeargle. Most decks will be played entirely differently than they were before, for example, let's take ZekEels. Instead of having everything to discard Lightning Energy, like Professor Juniper, Ultra Ball, Sage's Training and Junk Arm, all we have now is Juniper, Ultra Ball and Max Potion. And in a format with no Junk Arm, playing Juniper down just to discard some Lightning Eneries may not be the best idea, because you will have to discard some of your resources to do so.

The new trainer staples will be N, Bianca, Professor Juniper, Cheren, Random Reciever, Pokemon Catcher, Rare Candy (in Stage 2 decks), Pokemon Communication (mainly in Stage 2 decks, but if it is played, it will be in lower counts like it was in MD-on), Heavy Ball, Level Ball, Ultra Ball, maybe Great Ball if you need it, Super Rod and Switch.

Tier 1: No order as each deck has an equal chance imo
Darkrai/Hydreigon
Garchomp Altaria (I think an added Terrakion will make this deck more successful against Darkrai and Zekeels)
Zekeels

Tier 1.75:
Terrakion EX Variants (w/ Mewtwo, Six Corners, etc)

Tier 1.5: Still no order
Empoleon/techs
Garbodor/attacker variants
Klingklang
Quads of all sorts (Entei being the best because it doesn't get obliterated by Tool Scrapper)

Tier 2:
Accelgor
Durant (with the slower format, Durant could become a better deck. The overuse of Juniper and Bianca will help as well.)
RayEels

Finally, stage 2s rein again. Though, when you think about it, Garchomp and Altaria are the only Stage 2 decks. All of the others are really tech Stage 2s. But still, this format will clearly be an interesting one.
The formerly bad Bianca will be a card to collect now, as it is one of the best supporters in the Bw-on Metagame. Sadly, Dual Ball, Collector, Junk Arm, Shaymin UL, Smeargle, Pont (shall be dearly missed), and Sage's are being rotated, and were very good cards in this format.

Darkrai/Hydreigon, Garchomp/Altaria and Mewtwo/Terrakion EX seem like the tier 1.

Garchomp/Altaria gets wrecked by Raikou, ZekEels and Darkrai/Hydreigon get wrecked by Terrakion.

Therefore, Raikou/Terrakion for BDIF!

All kidding aside, tiers will be:
T1:
ZekEels
Garchomp/Altaria
Hydreigon/Darkrai
Empoleon (dependent on ZekEels)
T1.5:
Sableye/Hammers/Attackers
RayEels
Tornadus Donk
Quad Entei
T2:
Klinklang/Registeel
Quad Terrakion
Durant
T3:
Ninetales/Amoongus
Mewtwo/Leavanny

Now that Klingklang EX won Nats, I wonder how far it'll get in the next format. Heavy Ball sticks around, we've got the EXs and Prism Energy, hmm...

^ Hydreigon replaces it. Hydreigon does the same thing, except it's better because you have the energy acceleration and free retreat.

Oh yeah, the Darkness Energy. There's the difference. Geez that deck sounds awesome right now. I feel like you could toss some Prism in there and tech a few EX cards. Enhanced Hammer should see tons more play...

KlinKlang might be better actually because it has a much better weaknes, FIre rather than Dragon. The energy acceleration for Hydreigon will probably make it a little better though, if not slightly more vulnerable to Garchomp/Altaria.

I believe next format will be the following (this is not a tier list by any means):
Empoleon Varients
Darkrai Varients
Hydreigon
Zekeels Varients
Terrakion/Mewtwo/Tornadus Varients
Garchomp/Alteria
Durant

@Everybody saying Quad Entei will be a deck:
No, it won't top cut a single battle road. Way too many people will be using Empoleon, and it loses defender, moomoo milk, and life herb. Plus, it sucked before all that anyways.

This metagame is going to be the best one we have had in years. There are a large handful of playable decks and the format is going to slow down a lot. I played some mirror Empoleon games at Nats for funsies (because they will be popular next format), and it was a huge change from how the game is played now. It is a lot less about getting OHKOs because of weakness, and more about building consistent decks and timing Ns and Catchers and actual strategy. I am beyond excited to be play this game this September.

GHJamesGH said:
I believe next format will be the following (this is not a tier list by any means):
Empoleon Varients
Darkrai Varients
Hydreigon
Zekeels Varients
Haymaker (most typically with Terrakion and Mewtwo)
Garchomp/Alteria
And maybe, just maybe, Durant/Aggron

@Everybody saying Quad Entei will be a deck:
No, it won't top cut a single battle road. Way too many people will be using Empoleon, and it loses defender, moomoo milk, and life herb. Plus, it sucked before all that anyways.

This metagame is going to be the best one we have had in years. There are a large handful of playable decks and the format is going to slow down a lot. I was played some mirror Empoleon games at Nats for funsies (because they will be popular next format), and it was a huge change from how the game is played now. It is a lot less about getting OHKOs because of weakness and more about building consistent decks and timing Ns and Catchers. I am beyond excited to be play this game this September.

How in living heck is a deck that was only good in the early days of Pokemon TCG going to comeback?? Unless you're talking about Mewtwo Terrakions.

Also, Quad Entie BW-ON is much Much stronger, gaining Mew EX as a tech against Empoleon, it becomes even better. Not only that, most poeple will tech in a Leavanny NV, and Max Potion, making Empoleon have issue's with it.

As for my list from what I've tested goes:

Tier 1: (BDIF at the top and so forth)
Darkrai/Hydreigon
Zekeels
Hammertime
Garchom/Altaria

Tier 1.5:
Rayquaza EX + Eels
Quad Terrakion
Quad Entei
Entei with Volcarona

Tier 2:
Empoleon/Terrakion/Mew EX
Accelgor/Gothitelle/Mew EX
Leavanny/Mewtwo
Darkrai/Tornadus
Klinklang (Because of Enhanced Hammer)

Teir Suckish:
Durant/Aggron (You have no search power :/)

The reasons for Empoleon being Tier 2 is because it can't keep up with the speed of most decks. Having to set up at LEAST 4 stage 2's, + Techs, you have a major issue when battling against faster decks.

Also, Who ever says Durant/Aggron makes a real deck really needs to look at the cards. You have no attackers in a format where 60 HP is OHKO'd every turn. You can't keep up to the deck. Even if you where to run with Duran Aggron, you need Large Cloak, Rescue Scarf, and a lot of other tech cards to make sure you can possibly attack. Aggron itself may look very pleasing and useful the first time you look at it, but when you take a closer look, if someone Catchers that, you can't bounce back from it. This is why Durant went dead.

Durant is countered with a Terrakion, making him really hard to play, as most of the format consists of Terrakion. When looking at the Japanese decks, most of them are either Dragons, who can consistently do 60 damage, Zekeels, which OHKO's Durant for the heck of it, and Darkrai, which doesn't mind the milling, as you could improve their speed.

Without Collector, Dual Ball, and without PONT, Durant just loses out. Maybe you could run Level ball, and such, but you need Rotom UD to keep you're Durant out of the prize card area. Even then, catcher runs so rampid in the format, they can just Catcher up a Durant with no energy, and KO it. This makes Durant umplayable.

Even with Aggron milling 3 cards, Durant just doesn't have enough support. With the possible tech of a Heatmor, Durant has become hated, and umplayable. This makes it near impossible to work around Catchers, Quad Entei, Quad Terrakion and so forth. Durant it just to frail to be played.

Yes, I'm referring to Electabuzz/Magmar/Hitmonchan/Ditto. I'm so bad at Pokemon, I have no idea what I'm talking about. -_-' I'm talking about decks that use basic Pokemon with low cost attacks that attack quickly. For example, Tornadus, Mewtwo EX, Terrakion, Tornadus EX, Emolga, Mew EX.

Empoleon is one of the fastest decks next format, you have no idea what you are talking about. All you need is to get out one stage 2 with one energy on it and it and you are swinging for 80 turn 2. You also have a built in draw engine, which allows you to recover from N very easily (which will be used more than Juniper). Go ahead and set up a basic with 3 energy that has x2 weakness and a stage 2 while I am swinging for 90 turn 2 and drawing 5 cards a turn with diving draw and Cheren. And yes, Mew EX what a GREAT tech against empoleon! Go ahead and run some water or blend energy to use attack command and then get ohked by either Empoleon or a Mew EX of their own. Good idea, why don't you come use it at my battle roads? I'm going to remember that post Martini and come BRs, lets see how well Quad Entei does.

You do that... But you bring the most invalid points I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!

Number 1... Mewtwo, needs more than 2 energies to sucsessfully do some actual damage assuming that the defending Pokemon doesn't have energy. And Haystack was used way different than Tornadus, Mewtwo, Mew, and so forth. It had more synergy than that.

Also, you go ahead and tell that to my pretty sexy Zekrom that Empoleon is fast. And I do, I currently play Empoleon Terrakion as a side deck, and it has some bad starts. And you assume to much when you say it can swing 80 T2. As soon as people see Empoleon hit the table, they conserver their bench spaces, waiting for a weakness to appear. Diving Draw is helpful, I won't argue with that, but you rare EVER use it. Normally, you get a good hand, and you can't discard cards.

N More than Juniper!!!!!! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOl ROLFMA what list are you using???? That's the most ridiculus thing I've heard since someone came up with a deck at my league called Straight Tornadus, but only had 1 Tornadus. Even then, you say Empoleon can set up fast, then I see no issue setting up a Leavanny.

Wanna know why I don't wanna use it at my battle roads??? Cuz I don't have the cards, nor the time to waste testing a deck I truly don't wanna run. Just because a few BR's get won by a deck doesn't mean it sucks. If I remember correctly, google Cawthorn hadn't had his Truth deck in a BR, and look at where it got.

I'd suggest you actually think about you're points before you actually make them into utter-mess.

N actually becomes much better and much more of a skill card next format. It's not like Juniper, where you wonder if you should play it - and Juniper is the ONLY Supporter where you can lose crucial resources that you won't be able to get back. N will be more common.

Empoleon one shots Entei T2. Nuff said. But in all seriousness, Entei loses steam next format. NOBODY in the right mind would play Leavanny, as that is easily KOd. To tech in a 2-1-2 Leavanny and 2+ Candies wastes space. Yup.
Haymaker doesn't exist anymore. Its called Mewtwo/Terrakion EX. Six Corners was a type of Haymaker, but it stinks. Garchomp Altaria is a top rated deck. Its consistency is boss and it spits out massive damage. Leavanny/Mewtwo.....what? Durant Aggron was bad in the first place so don't even mention it. Nobody will play Entei w/ Volcrona. Hammertime is definitally NOT tier 1, or better than Zekeels. It isn't as devastating as it used to be. It dies to Terrakion and can't just mill away your energies.

But N is a very good card next format. Juniper can destroy you. Seriously. Without Junk Arm, any deck w/o Sableye can't afford to waste resources. I feel this is a theme of the format: Consistent, Acceleration, Thrifty. Any deck that can master these qualities (and keep up with the Tier 1s) can do well in this format. The player has to be smart of what they are using when as well.

Sorry I didn't use the same terminogly you use, that makes my point so much less valid. -_-'

Have you even seen the BW-On Japan world qualifier?

1st - Hydreigon + Darkrai EX
2nd - Garchomp + Altaria
3rd - Eelektrik + Zekrom + Mewtwo EX + Raikou EX
4th - Mewtwo EX + Terrakion EX + Bouffalant

Top 8
Empoleon + Terrakion + Mew EX
Gothitelle + Accelgor + Mew EX + Darkrai EX + Musharna
Ho-Oh EX + Tornadus EX
Eelektrik + Zekrom + Mewtwo EX

Top 16
Hydreigon + Darkrai EX
Eelektrik + Zekrom + Mewtwo EX + Raikou EX
Eelektrik + Zekrom + Mewtwo EX + Raikou EX + Tornadus EX
Darkrai EX + Mewtwo EX + Tornadus EX + Tornadus
Mewtwo EX + Terrakion
Garchomp + Altaria
Darkrai EX + Mewtwo EX + Bouffalant
Mewtwo EX + Terrakion EX + Terrakion + Sigilyph + Stunfisk

Yes, Mewtwo/Terrakion is just terrible. It's so bad, those players must have got so lucky all day. -_-' It made more top 16s than Hydreigon, so it has to be at least decent.

Also, Empoleon/Terrakion isn't the only Emoleon varient, you are so narrow minded.

Thanks for agreeing with me Roguechomp and Decadang, at least you know what you are talking about. Juniper is so bad without junk arm. Imagine this opening hand: Thunderus, Level ball, Catcher, Lightning, SUPPORTER, Switch, Super Rod.

Now which would you rather have, N or Juniper?

My tier list:
Tier 1:
Hydreigon/Darkrai
Garchomp/Altaria
Zekeels
Tier 1.5:
Empoleon variants
Mewtwo/TerrakionEX/Bouffalant
Rayeels
Tier 2:
QuadTerrakion
QuadEntei

I'd still rather have Juniper... Speed over giving my opponet a good hand. Honestly, if you can get me 5 different Empoleon Variants, that do good, I'll give you $1.

Even then, Entei may not be a good deck next format, but it will exist.

Back