Are You More of a Collector or a Player?

Daelum said:
elam18 said:
100% collector

You should start playing. You're like the only person I know that plays in my general area hahaha

SoulWind said:
I tried to step into the competitive realm of the TCG but didn't enjoy the high cost associated with it. I disliked paying a high amount of money for cards that I knew would be worthless in the near future. I sold my deck three times (ZPST, Gothitelle, and Darkrai/Hydreigon) before realizing that I find more fun in collecting cards. It also bothered me a lot putting such expensive, rare cards onto the playing field. Nowadays, I am strictly into the JPN TCG. Cards generally retain their value and they look very classy.

The cost associated is why I play rogue decks! Much much cheaper.

I play the baller status way... All my cards must be FA or RH and must be in PSA 10 cases. Once that happens, I'll start playing against you. I'm too poor to afford sleeves

elam18 said:
Daelum said:
You should start playing. You're like the only person I know that plays in my general area hahaha

I play the baller status way... All my cards must be FA or RH and must be in PSA 10 cases. Once that happens, I'll start playing against you. I'm too poor to afford sleeves

And yet you say you play with some of the most expensive cards out there?

Back on topic, I'd say I am player first and collector second. When my dad actually wants to reward me for good things, I get tons of booster boxes in the mail to complete my sets. However, I never use my collection cards in my decks.

Are you more of a collector or a player?

What are you talking about?
People play with Pokémon cards?
That is crazy talk!

elam18 said:
Daelum said:

I wonder if you could play with PSA cases...

When I was younger, I bought cards and made my own deck to play the TCG but once I played a bit with my neighbors, I didn't enjoy it very much. I found more joy in ripping open booster packs in anticipation to see what I would be adding to my array of cards. So, I've been a collector ever since! I don't plan to obtain every card out there but I'm not too picky either; usually anything rare or higher (unless they have sentimental value) will go into my collection while the rest are put in a large, plastic Ziploc bag until the next garage sale.

Daelum said:
elam18 said:

We'll find out soon from the professors!

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-playing-pokemon-with-psa-cases

I'm a collector, I know how the play the card game I just don't have any one to play with (no one in my family likes Pokemon, I also don't know anyone in Seattle who plays the card games - don't have enough cash to go to tournaments - I usually spend them on plushies or other decks/boxes/tins or games), I mostly buy the cards, decks, boxes just because I like how the Pokemon look on the cards. I also plan on wallpapering my entire room with Pokemon cards.

Daelum said:
I'm...pretty sure you can't.

omahanime said:
Are you more of a collector or a player?

What are you talking about?
People play with Pokémon cards?
That is crazy talk!
Posts like these are why you are my favorite mod.

elam18 said:
Daelum said:

We'll find out soon from the professors!

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-playing-pokemon-with-psa-cases

You've been on a roll lately diglett man haha :D

I'd say I'm more of a collector. Ive been trying to collect all the gold stars for a while now and the collection isn't looking horrible. I do play the tcg weekly at league though even if Im not very good at it :p

From day 1 (November, 1998), I started collecting the sets and practically have them all. Although I collected, I would definitely classify myself as a competitive player first and will continue to be so - even though my enthusiasm for collecting entire sets has definitely decrease since the release of the BW sets.

85% player
15% collector

I'm looking to finish off the PLS, PLF and PLB master sets as well as CoL and ANYTHING STUNFISK. Darkrai stuff is cool as well. The BW promos would be nice, but also expensive.

I'm definitely competitive, but I started out as a collector. I tried collecting complete sets, but no one really seemed to care, and sometimes they'd just laugh condescendingly as they looked through my binder. So I sold all of my bulk, bought a bunch of expensive stuff, won a few big tournaments, and now I have a good economy going. I treated my trades like stocks, and made trades based on how I thought the format would shift down the road. My deck is about 2/3 RH and FA (including Supporters). I'm still a collector, it's just now, I collect meta stuff and not base set Charizard or other stuff that's expensive, but really has no competitive use.

i'm a collector. It's hard to find people to play with. The kids I babysit are too young. If i even SAY it at work I will be ridiculed because I am far too old to play a TCG (27 years old = asking to be teased) Also if I show up at a cardshop and casually ask a kid if they want to play a game, their parents look at me like I'm insane. so for now I just don't play.

Collecting is easier, I've been doing that since I was about 12 years old :)

I would LOVE to collect but there are 2 problems with that.
1) It would get WAY too expensive.
2) Not enough space in my home for it.

So as of now I am a player! That can get expensive too but in the long run I believe that it's the best way for me to go. Maybe after I graduate or near then I'll take a break from competitive play and start collecting. I don't know. It would be awesome though.

Momaster12 said:
2) Not enough space in my home for it.

It can take some space.

elam18 said:
All English TCG Set from 1st edition Base Set to Plasma Blast
+ all the promos ever released

elam18 said:
But it's all divided into 15 3" binders...

I do not consider this too much space for such a good collection.

Chicaskas.... you should really try more card shops in your state. Perhaps go to prereleases or fall cities in various locations, meet people your age (masters) and find a place that has an older crowd. In my state, NC, there are far more masters (15- 35 yr olds) then juniors. Also some people in their 50s play (even some in their 60s) and those folks do not even have kids, they are just gamers or pokemon fans.

To answer the big question, I was a collector 1st. I had Japanese Team Rocket cards before pokemon was even released in the US. Then I got into playing when ToysRus opened a league. I am still both. Collector 1st still, but I love to play TCG, play video games, watch the anime, and read the manga. And have a huge collection of figures, plush, household goods from bags to bed sets to towels of pokemon.

Binx345 said:
Chicaskas.... you should really try more card shops in your state. Perhaps go to prereleases or fall cities in various locations, meet people your age (masters) and find a place that has an older crowd. In my state, NC, there are far more masters (15- 35 yr olds) then juniors. Also some people in their 50s play (even some in their 60s) and those folks do not even have kids, they are just gamers or pokemon fans.

To answer the big question, I was a collector 1st. I had Japanese Team Rocket cards before pokemon was even released in the US. Then I got into playing when ToysRus opened a league. I am still both. Collector 1st still, but I love to play TCG, play video games, watch the anime, and read the manga. And have a huge collection of figures, plush, household goods from bags to bed sets to towels of pokemon.

I count as a master at sixteen. There's a good friend of mine named TJ at my league and he's around 40 years old, has two kids who also play. He's pretty good, but hasn't been into the game as long as I have.
Just to say, ChicaSkas, there can be many masters in your state, you just have to check.

ChicaSkas said:
i'm a collector. It's hard to find people to play with. The kids I babysit are too young. If i even SAY it at work I will be ridiculed because I am far too old to play a TCG (27 years old = asking to be teased) Also if I show up at a cardshop and casually ask a kid if they want to play a game, their parents look at me like I'm insane. so for now I just don't play.

Collecting is easier, I've been doing that since I was about 12 years old :)
Be encouraged, there are many competitive players at least here in the upper Midwest who are also in their mid-20s+ and seem to continue to enjoy the game. In fact, I one of the oldest players here (in the "Elders" division - much older than Masters - lol) and have been playing almost since day 1 (when my kids started playing). Although, you may not have a game supporting community in your immediate area, I'd suggest you try:
  • Playing the online game,
  • Staying in touch with your Poké pals via texting, email, telephone, Skyping, etc. I personally find this quite helpful as I try to refine/develop decks.
  • Attending league(s), if possible.
  • Participating in tournaments and meet new Poké pals.
Hopefully, interest will grow in your area and leagues will form there. Or, you will find other players close enough to you and you can playtest with those folks.

I'm a player first and foremost. I do like getting rare cards, but I'd take a winning Lv X over a secret rare on most occasions. The sad thing is that most people I meet don't know jack about playing, they just look for sparkly and cute cards. I haven't played a truly serious game of pokemon in over a year, it gets lonely.

Back