(1) Supposed 'X' and 'Y' Insider Information [5/11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bogleech said:
The proposed fairy type is not super effective against dark, it's super effective against dragon and weak to poison, which ARE two things the play environment needed.

Fighting is already the counter to dark. Dark and fighting represent "heroes" and "villains" respectively, with similarly themed moves and cultural references. There never needed to or should have been a "light" type and there isn't going to be, because it's a superfluous concept and by far one of the worst fan ideas :p

Fairy type is super effective against dragon, dark, and fighting.

If there were to be a second new type introduced what the heck could it be? I mean I can't think of anything feasible at the moment.

1.) I saw a post earlier that showed Jirachi's type being changed to Psychic/Fairy... If they did that, it would make no sense, you would would replace the Psychic type with fairy making it Steel/Fairy, it makes just so much more sense.

2.) To those out there saying that a dragon immunity is a bad idea, dragons can 2HKO Pokemon that resist the hit with there STAB move... I've knocked out Scizors and some Jirachi fairly easily with Choice Band Outrage coming from Adamant, max attack Dragonite. Dragon doesn't hit many Pokemon super effectively from the start, so having one resist and one immunity is more fair and balanced. Dragon would still be a top tier type threat that would be on every team, but it wouldn't nerf it to heck like...

3.) Giving it (dragons) a rock weakness like one user suggested. Dragon/Flying is the most common dual type among dragons, do we really want them taking 4X stealth rock damage? No. The Rock Typing is strong enough as it is, with its advantage to Bug, Fire, Flying & Ice, Sandstorm benefits, and Tyranitar as a sandstorm starter. A new type with the specifications listed for "Fairy" would actually do a much better job. It would give Poison types a reason to actually exist, and give Steel a little more offensive presence. It also boosts the defensive role for Fire and Psychic types.

4.) As stated by others, plenty of Pokemon can be given the Fairy typing to ensure an even spread number of Fairy type Pokemon: Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable, Mawile, Togepi, Togetic, Togekiss, Snubull, Granbull, Blissey (Because I think it's more fairy like than Chansey), Gardevoir, Volbeat, Illumise, Altaria, Castform, Luvdisc, Mismagius, Finneon, Lumineon, Audino, Lilligant, Cincinno, Minccino, Whimsicott, Alomomola and even some legendaries could get a retype here and there. This didn't even count the Pokemon that could come out in the 100+ new Pokemon.

5.) Fairies can be more than tiny, feminine, pink things. In fact there are animal faries as well, such as Cu-Sith.

Cù Sìth
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cù-Sìth (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [kuː ʃiː]), plural Coin-Sìth (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [kɔːn ʃiː]) is a mythological hound found in Scotland and the Hebrides. A similar creature exists in Irish folklore (spelled Cú Sídhe), and it also bears some resemblance to the Welsh Cŵn Annwn.

Appearance

According to Scottish folklore, the Cù-Sìth is said to be the size of a young bull. Its fur is shaggy, and usually cited as being dark green though sometimes white. Its tail is described as being long and either coiled up or plaited (braided). Its paws are described as being the width of a man's hand.[1]

The Cù-Sìth is thought to make its home in the clefts of rocks in the Highlands,[2] and also to roam the moors and highlands.
Activity

The Cù-Sìth was feared as a harbinger of death and would appear to bear away the soul of a person to the afterlife, similar to the manner of the Grim Reaper. In this role the Cù-Sìth holds in Scottish folklore a function similar to that of the Bean Sidhe, or banshee, in Irish folklore.

According to legend, the creature was capable of hunting silently, but would occasionally let out three terrifying bays, and only three, that could be heard for miles by those listening for it, even far out at sea. Those who hear the baying of the Cù-Sìth must reach safety by the third bark or be overcome with terror to the point of death.[2]

It was also said the baying was a warning to lock up nursing women lest the beast abduct them and take them to a fairy mound (Scottish Gaelic: sìthean, pl. sìtheanan) to supply milk for the children of the fae (daoine sìth).
Etymology

Cù-Sìth is a Scottish Gaelic compound word composed of the words cù (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [kuː]), meaning 'dog', and sìth (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [ʃiː]), meaning 'fairy'. Therefore, cù-sìth literally means "fairy dog".

Often, Cù-Sìth is said to mean "barrow hound". The error in translation is due to the incorrect assumption that sìthean, meaning fairy mound, has a root (sìth) which means barrow. However, that root means fairy and has nothing to do with barrows, mounds, or other earthen structures.

I dunno, but I think this would be the coolest Dark/Fairy type to exist if they took some idea from Cu-Sith.

6.) This hasn't even been confirmed, Sylveon could still be a Flying type for all we know... GameFreak very well could be pulling our legs. This wouldn't be the first time they did so... *looks at Reshiram*

SuperArtNinja said:
4.) As stated by others, plenty of Pokemon can be given the Fairy typing to ensure an even spread number of Fairy type Pokemon: Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable, Mawile, Togepi, Togetic, Togekiss, Snubull, Granbull, Blissey (Because I think it's more fairy like than Chansey), Gardevoir, Volbeat, Illumise, Altaria, Castform, Luvdisc, Mismagius, Finneon, Lumineon, Audino, Lilligant, Cincinno, Minccino, Whimsicott, Alomomola and even some legendaries could get a retype here and there. This didn't even count the Pokemon that could come out in the 100+ new Pokemon

Ok, I can see Blissey becoming fairy type definitley. Altaria, however, has it's japanese name actually named after a star in the Draco constellation. I can definitley see Celebi going to Grass/Fairy, Manaphy to Water/Fairy, and Victini to Fire/Fairy though.

Oh, and Jirachi being steel-type makes no sense to me, since it's like a shooting star and all..

FloodBadge said:
Oh, and Jirachi being steel-type makes no sense to me, since it's like a shooting star and all..

Some shooting stars (meteorites) contain or are made primarily of iron/nickel. So that is why. :B

It would make more sense if it was a comet since those appear every x amount of years and doesnt Jirachi awaken after 100 years or something? Jirachi would be better off as an Ice type.

SuperArtNinja said:
1.) I saw a post earlier that showed Jirachi's type being changed to Psychic/Fairy... If they did that, it would make no sense, you would would replace the Psychic type with fairy making it Steel/Fairy, it makes just so much more sense.

2.) To those out there saying that a dragon immunity is a bad idea, dragons can 2HKO Pokemon that resist the hit with there STAB move... I've knocked out Scizors and some Jirachi fairly easily with Choice Band Outrage coming from Adamant, max attack Dragonite. Dragon doesn't hit many Pokemon super effectively from the start, so having one resist and one immunity is more fair and balanced. Dragon would still be a top tier type threat that would be on every team, but it wouldn't nerf it to heck like...

3.) Giving it (dragons) a rock weakness like one user suggested. Dragon/Flying is the most common dual type among dragons, do we really want them taking 4X stealth rock damage? No. The Rock Typing is strong enough as it is, with its advantage to Bug, Fire, Flying & Ice, Sandstorm benefits, and Tyranitar as a sandstorm starter. A new type with the specifications listed for "Fairy" would actually do a much better job. It would give Poison types a reason to actually exist, and give Steel a little more offensive presence. It also boosts the defensive role for Fire and Psychic types.

4.) As stated by others, plenty of Pokemon can be given the Fairy typing to ensure an even spread number of Fairy type Pokemon: Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable, Mawile, Togepi, Togetic, Togekiss, Snubull, Granbull, Blissey (Because I think it's more fairy like than Chansey), Gardevoir, Volbeat, Illumise, Altaria, Castform, Luvdisc, Mismagius, Finneon, Lumineon, Audino, Lilligant, Cincinno, Minccino, Whimsicott, Alomomola and even some legendaries could get a retype here and there. This didn't even count the Pokemon that could come out in the 100+ new Pokemon.

5.) Fairies can be more than tiny, feminine, pink things. In fact there are animal faries as well, such as Cu-Sith.

Cù Sìth
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cù-Sìth (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [kuː ʃiː]), plural Coin-Sìth (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [kɔːn ʃiː]) is a mythological hound found in Scotland and the Hebrides. A similar creature exists in Irish folklore (spelled Cú Sídhe), and it also bears some resemblance to the Welsh Cŵn Annwn.

Appearance

According to Scottish folklore, the Cù-Sìth is said to be the size of a young bull. Its fur is shaggy, and usually cited as being dark green though sometimes white. Its tail is described as being long and either coiled up or plaited (braided). Its paws are described as being the width of a man's hand.[1]

The Cù-Sìth is thought to make its home in the clefts of rocks in the Highlands,[2] and also to roam the moors and highlands.
Activity

The Cù-Sìth was feared as a harbinger of death and would appear to bear away the soul of a person to the afterlife, similar to the manner of the Grim Reaper. In this role the Cù-Sìth holds in Scottish folklore a function similar to that of the Bean Sidhe, or banshee, in Irish folklore.

According to legend, the creature was capable of hunting silently, but would occasionally let out three terrifying bays, and only three, that could be heard for miles by those listening for it, even far out at sea. Those who hear the baying of the Cù-Sìth must reach safety by the third bark or be overcome with terror to the point of death.[2]

It was also said the baying was a warning to lock up nursing women lest the beast abduct them and take them to a fairy mound (Scottish Gaelic: sìthean, pl. sìtheanan) to supply milk for the children of the fae (daoine sìth).
Etymology

Cù-Sìth is a Scottish Gaelic compound word composed of the words cù (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [kuː]), meaning 'dog', and sìth (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [ʃiː]), meaning 'fairy'. Therefore, cù-sìth literally means "fairy dog".

Often, Cù-Sìth is said to mean "barrow hound". The error in translation is due to the incorrect assumption that sìthean, meaning fairy mound, has a root (sìth) which means barrow. However, that root means fairy and has nothing to do with barrows, mounds, or other earthen structures.

I dunno, but I think this would be the coolest Dark/Fairy type to exist if they took some idea from Cu-Sith.

6.) This hasn't even been confirmed, Sylveon could still be a Flying type for all we know... GameFreak very well could be pulling our legs. This wouldn't be the first time they did so... *looks at Reshiram*

that cu-sith sounds a lot like houndour and houndoom
or even mightyena for real

but like I don't think it makes sense to just retcon aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall those pokemon and shit

I mean when steel was introduced, the only changed the magnemite line and that was it pretty much.

and I didn't say we should give dragons a rock weakness, I said a lot of them HAVE a rock weakness, due to dragon/flying.
but I see the pros of a "fairy" type

but I think it should be "light type"
sounds better

xayshade said:

but like I don't think it makes sense to just retcon aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall those pokemon and shit

I mean when steel was introduced, the only changed the magnemite line and that was it pretty much.

and I didn't say we should give dragons a rock weakness, I said a lot of them HAVE a rock weakness, due to dragon/flying.

sounds better

Houndour and Houndoom were based off of Cerberus more, due to the breed of dog that Cerberus is described as is similar. Mightyena is bland and boring, even if it is cool. I think Mightyena is just a generic dark type.

"Light" and "Fairy" are two completely different things. I actually equate fairy with more of a magic type. However, they dodge a bullet by calling it "Fairy" instead of "Magic". In Gen II, there were way fewer Pokemon to retcon, The only other Pokemon that could even be seen as being part Steel is Voltorb and Electrode, but they probably didn't want to change their type because they wanted to keep plenty of pure electric types. Magnemite and Magneton may have been Steel initially, but they didn't want them to have such a unique type being that they would've been the only steels in first if they decided to use that type. Dragonite was a psuedo-legendary so the unique type makes sense. If you look at the distribution I recommended, there would be about 6-7 retcon per Gen, with Gen 2 getting the most. It looks like a lot of Pokemon, but when you compare it to how many exist, it's really not that many.

"Light" is such a vague term, "Fairy" is more specific, but still open to creativity. Electric and Psychic pretty much are "Light".

SuperArtNinja said:
xayshade said:

sounds better

Houndour and Houndoom were based off of Cerberus more, due to the breed of dog that Cerberus is described as is similar. Mightyena is bland and boring, even if it is cool. I think Mightyena is just a generic dark type.

"Light" and "Fairy" are two completely different things. I actually equate fairy with more of a magic type. However, they dodge a bullet by calling it "Fairy" instead of "Magic". In Gen II, there were way fewer Pokemon to retcon, The only other Pokemon that could even be seen as being part Steel is Voltorb and Electrode, but they probably didn't want to change their type because they wanted to keep plenty of pure electric types. Magnemite and Magneton may have been Steel initially, but they didn't want them to have such a unique type being that they would've been the only steels in first if they decided to use that type. Dragonite was a psuedo-legendary so the unique type makes sense. If you look at the distribution I recommended, there would be about 6-7 retcon per Gen, with Gen 2 getting the most. It looks like a lot of Pokemon, but when you compare it to how many exist, it's really not that many.

"Light" is such a vague term, "Fairy" is more specific, but still open to creativity. Electric and Psychic pretty much are "Light".

I mean but then fairy could easily fall into dark, psychic, and ghost types. To me fairy is just too specific. and even tho you guys say all the different faries, I feel as though game freak is gonna half ass it and make them all look the same or similar. but thas just me.

light is more wide ranging, but it searates itself. like yea ok some psychics could fall in, but not all or even most. like gothitelle line couldn't be light type. if anything, the only psychic I can think of that would qualify, would be espeon mayb, cus it's all sun based n stuff. light would be more "pure" than "energy" which is electricity

The only thing I strongly oppose in these rumors is dual-typed attacks. Fairy type could include anything from ogres and kelpies to griffins and will-o-the-wisps. OR MERMAIDS.

None of you guys know how much I want Fairy Type to be true, man.

None of you

xayshade said:
SuperArtNinja said:

I mean but then fairy could easily fall into dark, psychic, and ghost types. To me fairy is just too specific. and even tho you guys say all the different faries, I feel as though game freak is gonna half ass it and make them all look the same or similar. but thas just me.

light is more wide ranging, but it searates itself. like yea ok some psychics could fall in, but not all or even most. like gothitelle line couldn't be light type. if anything, the only psychic I can think of that would qualify, would be espeon mayb, cus it's all sun based n stuff. light would be more "pure" than "energy" which is electricity

How about Gardevoir, Gallade, Solrock, Cresselia, Victini, they seem like fairly "pure" Pokemon to me? Besides, how exactly do you fight with "purity"? Yeah you could "exercise" dark and ghost, but what would that do to anything else? It wouldn't make sense as a type to balance dragon, poison or steel. Don't say, "They blast rays of light to damage foes" because I can argue that practically every other type does that (Aurora Beam, Hyper Beam, Charge Beam etc.). If they don't call the type "Fairy" they should call it "Magic" at least, because that is what the direction seems to be. Light =/= Fairy/Magic

Also, the faeries that were listed were purely examples of the non-western vision of faeries, showing that they have just as much, if not more diversity than dragons. Game Freak hasn't made all the dragons look the same, have they? Altaria doesn't exactly look like a Dragon, and I'd like to think Kingdra and Flygon are pretty unique looking dragons as well. With all the lore that Game Freak has access to, I'm sure they won't "half ass" them if the type happens to be Fairy.

Also, if the "energy" principal doesn't apply, why did you bring up the SUN (big ball of ENERGY) as a basis for Espeon being light type?

I don't think most of these alternative types of 'fairy' would really work. I mean, a bull? Tauros is a bull and it's not remotely fairy-like. Making it 'fairyesque' would make it look ghostly or psychic.

Furthermore... a google image search of fairies shows up, for me, an infinite range of exclusively fairy pictures, who look similar to Tinkerbell. It's definitely the predominant conception of fairies... but I don't see why that's so bad! Fairies are cool! They're powerful even though they're small, that's the point. They're scheming and have a lot of influence. I don't know why people keep complaining about them being 'girly', god, does everything feminine have to be so bad?! Personally, I think it'd be cool if one of their central characteristics was their delicacy and hints of femininity, as most fairies are, but they can also be extremely strong and powerful.

Bogleech said:
Dark and fighting represent "heroes" and "villains" respectively, with similarly themed moves and cultural references.

Once again, the Fighting type has nothing inherently to do with heroism. The Japanese name for the type, かくとう (kakutou) literally just means "fight". Copy that and go Google Translate it yourself if you don't believe me. (Also, that's not how you use "respectively" - both sets should be in the same order. Free grammar lesson!)

As for retyping of older Pokémon as Fairy. I seriously doubt any Pokémon that has a dual type (not counting Normal) is going to have one of them replaced with Fairy. They way the game will play off the introduction of the new type is that it's been recently discovered, and while saying that previous Pokémon thought to be Normal or thought to have only one type are now Fairy (as happened with Magnemite) is reasonable, saying something like "whoops, we thought Celebi was Psychic but it was really Fairy, please disregard all the STAB Psychic attacks it used to use, you were just imagining things" is a lot harder to pull off from an in-world perspective.

DorianBlack said:
As for retyping of older Pokémon as Fairy. I seriously doubt any Pokémon that has a dual type (not counting Normal) is going to have one of them replaced with Fairy. They way the game will play off the introduction of the new type is that it's been recently discovered, and while saying that previous Pokémon thought to be Normal or thought to have only one type are now Fairy (as happened with Magnemite) is reasonable, saying something like "whoops, we thought Celebi was Psychic but it was really Fairy, please disregard all the STAB Psychic attacks it used to use, you were just imagining things" is a lot harder to pull off from an in-world perspective.

Makes no less sense than 'whoops, please disregards all those times your Pokemon took super effective hits from Fighting type Pokemon'.

About the "rage" towards the name of Fairy-type, more than for the fairy itself, I can say that the occidental "Dark-type" is not really intended as "Dark" in japanese translation. So, if the source and the information are coming from Japan, there's a possibility that the "Fairy" one could became "Light" or other thing, as well.

This isn't as relevant but I really want to see how they incorporate Fairy-type changes (assuming it's real) into the anime.

"Oh hey, you know Clefairy? Yeah, it randomly changed type overnight. All the research and data we had on it before is now wrong."

Tam said:
I don't think most of these alternative types of 'fairy' would really work. I mean, a bull? Tauros is a bull and it's not remotely fairy-like. Making it 'fairyesque' would make it look ghostly or psychic.

Furthermore... a google image search of fairies shows up, for me, an infinite range of exclusively fairy pictures, who look similar to Tinkerbell. It's definitely the predominant conception of fairies... but I don't see why that's so bad! Fairies are cool! They're powerful even though they're small, that's the point. They're scheming and have a lot of influence. I don't know why people keep complaining about them being 'girly', god, does everything feminine have to be so bad?! Personally, I think it'd be cool if one of their central characteristics was their delicacy and hints of femininity, as most fairies are, but they can also be extremely strong and powerful.

The problem is that not all faeries are feminine Tinkerbells. We could have a few of the feminine, but every type needs some aesthetic diversity. Not all dragons look like your stereotype dragons, Altaria doesn't look like any kind of dragon. Cu Sith is a fairy dog that's said to be the size of a small bull, if that's what you're referring to.

So just because Google images jumps off the proverbial bridge, Pokemon should too and over saturate the media with the same "predominant conception of faeries"? Why not educate on different mythologies by using Pokemon types and classifications as a tool so that we get different images of faeries? Variety is the spice of life, have a few stereotypes, but keep it fresh with the other mythologies of faeries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back