(1) Supposed 'X' and 'Y' Insider Information [5/11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairy is the main category: there are tinkerbells, giants, protectors of the forest like magical plants maybe. Now think to the cars main cateogory. Not all the cars are the same: there is Ford, Fiat, Chevrolet, Mazda etc. Maybe the Fiat 500 is more feminine, but other cars like Ferrari have a lot o' muscle.
So fairies could be whatever they want. For me is a spiritual protector more than a "tinkerbell".

From wikipedia:
Sometimes the term describes any magical creature, including goblins or gnomes: at other times, the term only describes a specific type of more ethereal creature.

Considering re-typing of old Pokemon, I think two kind of type change are possible:
  1. The Normal type of a single- or dual-typed Normal Pokemon will be replaced by Fairy
    examples: Clefairy (Normal) --> (Fairy)
    Togetic (Normal/Flying) --> (Fairy/Flying)
  2. The Fairy type is added as secondary type to a single-typed Pokemon
    example: Mawile (Steel) --> (Steel/Fairy)
Things I don't expect to happen:
  1. A type other than Normal is replaced by Fairy
    example: Roselia (Grass/Poison) -/-> (Grass/Fairy)
  2. Re-typing of Legendary Pokemon
    examples: Celebi (Psychic/Grass) -/-> (Fairy/Grass)
    Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf (Psychic) -/-> (Psychic/Fairy)
Don't know exactly, but I have the feeling that GameFreak wouldn't start a Fairy type overkill after six generations. They probably don't want to mess up things too much and rather be sparing when it comes to retyping old Pokemon. Thus I doubt they would touch the types of legendaries in particular.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Which Pokemon might become Fairy type?

at the very least:

• Clefairy line (Fairy)
    (self-explaining, the stereotype of an overly cute fairy with magic abilities; Clefairy and Clefable are already classified as Fairy Pokemon)

• Togetic line (Fairy/Flying - Togepi pure Fairy)
    (stereotype of an airborne fairy, also capable of using magical powers)

• Sylveon (Fairy)
    (its name, its design, its supernatural abilities in the movie trailer and the fact that it would just be ridiculous if there was a new type and a new Eeveelution that fitted it, but wouldn't be said type)

optional:

• Jigglypuff line (Fairy or Normal/Fairy)
    (it's overly cute like Clefable and its counterpart, but after all it's just a fluffy balloon with some traits of a rabbit in the case of Wigglytuff)

• Chansey line (Fairy or Normal/Fairy)
    (depending on how fairy-like healing is considered to be; after all the line is based on nutritious eggs)

• Audino (Fairy)
    (same as Chansey line, however it has a more stereotypically fairy-like design)

• Alomomola (Water/Fairy)
    (same as Chansey line, it's the aquatic equivalent of the healers Chansey/Audino, but I think it can stick with single Water type very well)

• Milotic (Water/Fairy)
    (another possibility for Water/Fairy, but this one has traits of a nymph/mermaid, and the Fairy type could emphasize its ideal beauty theme)

• Snubbull line (Normal/Fairy)
    (Snubbull and Granbull are classified as Fairy Pokemon, too, and they look like caricatures of stereotypically cute and pink fairies; however Horsea's and Seadra's species since Gen1 is Dragon Pokemon, and though they later get their Dragon type evo, it indicates that the species is not the decisive point for the typing and Snubull/Granbull are obvious Normal judged on their movesets)

• Volbeat/Illumise (Bug/Fairy)
    (fireflies were often taken for fairies in previous centuries, probably a reason for the omnipresence of fairies in European folklore)

• Mawile (Steel/Fairy)
    (well, it's a fairy-like creature with a steely maw on its head, and it's not so obvious pure Steel as Registeel or Klink are)

• Bellossom/Lilligant/(Whimsicott) (Grass/Fairy)
    (especially Bellosoom and Lilligant combine traits of pixies and flowers, Whimiscott seems to be based on some kind of fabulous creature, too, Bulbapedia refers to Sacis from Brazilian folklore as one of its possible origins)

rather not Fairy type:

• Skitty line and Minccino line
    (there is not much fairy-like about those lines other than being overly cute, again a stereotypical opinion on fairies; they better stay what they are, cute Normal-type Pokemon)

• Ralts line (especially Kirlia/Gardevoir)
    (if they had not been released in a former generation but in Gen6 they might have been classified as pure Fairy types. So however the Psychic type covers their supernatural abilities and their origin in White Ladies, an additional Fairy type seems redundant in this case)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

However I hope that there is a good in-game explanation why some old Pokemon are now Fairy type and not something along the lines of "Professor Oak couldn't even tell if you are a boy or a girl, so how should he be able to tell if Clefairy is Normal or Fairy type."

But seriously, they better come up with a plausible explanation for type changes.

SuperArtNinja said:
xayshade said:
I mean but then fairy could easily fall into dark, psychic, and ghost types. To me fairy is just too specific. and even tho you guys say all the different faries, I feel as though game freak is gonna half ass it and make them all look the same or similar. but thas just me.

light is more wide ranging, but it searates itself. like yea ok some psychics could fall in, but not all or even most. like gothitelle line couldn't be light type. if anything, the only psychic I can think of that would qualify, would be espeon mayb, cus it's all sun based n stuff. light would be more "pure" than "energy" which is electricity

How about Gardevoir, Gallade, Solrock, Cresselia, Victini, they seem like fairly "pure" Pokemon to me? Besides, how exactly do you fight with "purity"? Yeah you could "exercise" dark and ghost, but what would that do to anything else? It wouldn't make sense as a type to balance dragon, poison or steel. Don't say, "They blast rays of light to damage foes" because I can argue that practically every other type does that (Aurora Beam, Hyper Beam, Charge Beam etc.). If they don't call the type "Fairy" they should call it "Magic" at least, because that is what the direction seems to be. Light =/= Fairy/Magic

Also, the faeries that were listed were purely examples of the non-western vision of faeries, showing that they have just as much, if not more diversity than dragons. Game Freak hasn't made all the dragons look the same, have they? Altaria doesn't exactly look like a Dragon, and I'd like to think Kingdra and Flygon are pretty unique looking dragons as well. With all the lore that Game Freak has access to, I'm sure they won't "half ass" them if the type happens to be Fairy.

Also, if the "energy" principal doesn't apply, why did you bring up the SUN (big ball of ENERGY) as a basis for Espeon being light type?

ok but as you said before, you can retcon a whole ass of pokemon to be fairies, including some of the "light" pokemon you called out previously.
I called out the sun not in the terms of energy (because psychic is not an energy based type sir) I meant in terms of light, hope, pureness so on andso forth. light battle the dark (explains power over dark types and brutes (dragons) but susceptibility to unpure things and corruption (poison))
And while all dragons don't look the same, fundamentally most of them can be seen as dragon at first glance. Except maybe Altaria. Maybe. but im getting off track

Magic is already included in Psychic anyway, and yes guess what, in other moves! Dark isn't necessarily shadows and dark things, it's underhandedness and shady moves and pragmatisism. Like keep an open mind. This shit ain't even revealed yet and you getting all up in a tizzy. i'm just posting what I think and believe

To be completely honest I don't really hthink another type will be added, im only considering due to the presence of evidence.

SotS said:
None of you guys know how much I want Fairy Type to be true, man.

None of you

I really want it too. I'm already thinking about it being my favorite type, unless it ends up being really bad. At first I thought they would make light and sound types Xerneas being light and Yveltal being sound, but now fairy makes more sense to me. Light wouldn't fit in the same as fairy and I don'y know how sound could fit in.

Guys i'm definitely looking for something that could lead me to - at least think of - another form of newtwo. So i got some screenshoots from the tra(n)sformation of mewtwo into "newtwo":

5trlti.png

350sy7m.png

Someone know what those "writes" means? Is that the "Y" letter? What about this being the Y-form in order to make a "switch" like Lugia in Gold and Ho-Ho in Silver?

frezgle said:
Fairy-type: Eh. The matchups don't really make sense to me; it kind of seems like forced balancing without much thought into why it would logically work. Immune to Dragon? Immune? Why though?

Because Dragons would then kind of be the brute of the mythologic creatures (if thats the word Im looking for), while fairy is the one with magical powers, so outsmarting their moves.

Just imagine a scene where a huge angry dragon runs into a fairy, which magically avoids the attack and throws some rainbow jelly beans in its face and laughs...or something along those lines XDDDDDD

Pokèbass said:
Guys i'm definitely looking for something that could lead me to - at least think of - another form of newtwo. So i got some screenshoots from the tra(n)sformation of mewtwo into "newtwo":

5trlti.png

350sy7m.png

Someone know what those "writes" means? Is that the "Y" letter? What about this being the Y-form in order to make a "switch" like Lugia in Gold and Ho-Ho in Silver?

No, that character is not the letter "Y". Those are Japanese katakana letters, which are used to traditionally spell foreign words. Pokemon names are written in katakana letters because they are not traditional Japanese words. You are actually only looking at part of the letter. The full letter actually looks like a smiley face.

Those characters are just Mewtwo's name written in japanese: ミュウツー

@TrainerSivan thank you for the response ;) Anyway the name of mewtwo going around him makes all this look like "digimonesque".

Haha, yeah. Its just commercial effects, it wouldn't be part of the actual movie though. :p

I am actually looking forward to it. I feel that if there is a new form, it will be a plot twist. I am surprised that nobody pointed out how in the trailer Mewtwo just changes form at will, no item needed....

Assuming they would add a new type like Fairy, breaking consistency would be okay, so in that case, I would hope that they will also adjust the existing types match-ups too.

(Ice is still way too awful defensively even if Fairy does everything right)

TrainerSivan said:
I am actually looking forward to it. I feel that if there is a new form, it will be a plot twist. I am surprised that nobody pointed out how in the trailer Mewtwo just changes form at will, no item needed....

Well... Kyurem changed at will in M15. Though I like your thinking anyways. Might actually be consistent this time and be a hint at this information's legitimacy.
but probably not

TrainerSivan said:
Haha, yeah. Its just commercial effects, it wouldn't be part of the actual movie though. :p

Thats because the anime rarely ever matches up with the games lol

Oh, right. Well, I haven't watched the movies in years because they looked quite bad. I tried to watch the Keldeo movie but it was awful, lacking the Pokemon feel. I have hopes for this new movie, though. I hope Nintendo does try to stay more accurate with the show. Its not that I don't like some parts of this supposed insider information (Faerie type, yes!) but I feel like it is more of a fan guess. I doubt Mewtwo will get a second new forme (I hate formes anyway) and I doubt dual type moves. I am open to them but am doubtful...

Just read the news post and I'll assume it's true for the benefit of the topic.

I kinda like the idea of a Fairy type. The type match up makes that odd sense that the types do. It just feels right. Perhaps there is some Japanese lore behind a Fairy being effective against Dragon. I'll be looking into that more closely.
Showing off the new type with an eeveelution is a smart idea but it had already been done before in Gen 2 and even then Umbreon also showcased a new way of evolving so I'm expecting something more to come from Sylveon otherwise I'll be disappointed.

I don't even want to see the other Mewtwo form.

GF. Seriously. Let the joint fighting starter go. It's not fine if you shift the curse onto something else. Also seriously? A water fighting frog? Again? I know Poliwrath was a tadpole but still.

Flying and Levitating fighting style? Ok, I'll admit, I'm interested. Very interested. I really want to hear more.

Dual Type moves. GF. Stahp. Stahp GF.

And for the EV thing. Crap. There goes all the rewarding effort to make a competitive Pokemon.

SuperArtNinja said:
Tam said:
I don't think most of these alternative types of 'fairy' would really work. I mean, a bull? Tauros is a bull and it's not remotely fairy-like. Making it 'fairyesque' would make it look ghostly or psychic.

Furthermore... a google image search of fairies shows up, for me, an infinite range of exclusively fairy pictures, who look similar to Tinkerbell. It's definitely the predominant conception of fairies... but I don't see why that's so bad! Fairies are cool! They're powerful even though they're small, that's the point. They're scheming and have a lot of influence. I don't know why people keep complaining about them being 'girly', god, does everything feminine have to be so bad?! Personally, I think it'd be cool if one of their central characteristics was their delicacy and hints of femininity, as most fairies are, but they can also be extremely strong and powerful.

The problem is that not all faeries are feminine Tinkerbells. We could have a few of the feminine, but every type needs some aesthetic diversity. Not all dragons look like your stereotype dragons, Altaria doesn't look like any kind of dragon. Cu Sith is a fairy dog that's said to be the size of a small bull, if that's what you're referring to.

So just because Google images jumps off the proverbial bridge, Pokemon should too and over saturate the media with the same "predominant conception of faeries"? Why not educate on different mythologies by using Pokemon types and classifications as a tool so that we get different images of faeries? Variety is the spice of life, have a few stereotypes, but keep it fresh with the other mythologies of faeries.

I just don't see the issue with most of the them being 'feminine'? Most fighting Pokémon look 'masculine'. So do a lot of rock, ground and dragon Pokémon. It's just part of the type that they have masculine characteristics: big, dark, tough. I don't see what's wrong with fairy Pokémon having more feminine ones, such as being small, delicate, brighter colours etc. I just think it's stupid to assume that the femininity must be minimized... what's wrong with Tinkerbell anyway?!

Going to post the supposed English names of the CoroCoro Pokemon later today so we can see if they turn out to be true this week.

For those people thinking Fairy could translate to Light, I don't really think that would be a good representation of the type. Sure, a lot of people think that it would be a logical thing to do, given that we've had 'Evil' translate to 'Dark'.
However, the concept of the Evil and Dark types ingame can easily be connected. With Light, it isn't as easy a connection, since the Light type wouldn't really have anything to do with what the Fairy type would be about.
eg. Night Slash = originates from a Samurai testing his new blade on someone, most likely of lower class or a peasant. Perfectly an Evil type move, yet they changed the move name in English to make it fit in with the Dark type. (plus Blade Testing as an English name could imply Steel as much as it could Dark).
BUT.
Lets say for arguments sake that Fairy type is renamed to Light. An attack comes along, lets call it Fairy Beam.
Fairy Beam = the Pokemon uses a fairylike force to send a sparkly, rainbow beam at the opponent.
How would that translate to Light? And how many Light type moves would go beyond 'Your Pokemon shines a huge light at the opponent, to deal damage. It would also lower accuracy.' or 'The Pokemon sends large beams of light at the opponent to attack.'?
If you look at it that way, Light type damaging moves wouldn't have many distinguishing features between them. Take several moves of another type, lets say Brick Break, Close Combat, Double Kick, Focus Blast and Superpower. The two that come close to each other are Superpower and Close Combat (and even then, they are almost like counterpart attacks of the same type), yet they still have individual features.
If there were 5 damaging moves of a Light type, I can't see them going any further than 'The Pokemon shines a bright light at the opponent to attack'.

If Fairy was translated to Light, a lot of people would imagine the type to be about something that it just wouldn't be. Fairy is a perfect description of what the type would be, whereas if it was translated to a Light type, the meaning of the type wouldn't be as clear as it was when Dark was translated from Evil.

EDIT: I WANTZ ENGLISH NAMEZ NOWWWW

Please post the rest of the information you got from that insider wpm... Please? (Yeah I made an account just to say that, I'm normally just a quiet reader here but I would love to know what those other rumors are) maybe just in this thread? Or make a huge rumor disclaimer or sth... I mean you already told us some of the stuff he said, right? It wouldn't hurt to speculate about the rest ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back