XY What Is Your Opinion on The Fairy-type? Think Pokémon, Type-Distribution, etc.

RE: Anyone else upset at the type distribution of the Fairy type?

Jakeremix said:
If they don't make enough pure faries in gen 6, then it will be flying type all over again seeing as GF isn't willing to make the old ones pure.

Normally Id defend their decision for making all those flying pokemon merely secondary Flying, even the Normal ones, as the option to be airborne (which is what the type is mainly about) is already conceptually optional in a sense (Pidgey can fly but that's not its default state, if that makes sense?).

But the /Normal pokes have made confused about this subject, what with Normal being the "default" type (which is why most pokemon learn at least a bunch of Normal moves and stuff like Hidden Power, Ditto/Arceus etc are all Normal). It made sense for the Normal/extra guys like Pidgey&co, Bibarel, Girafarig and Sawsbuck, since there it just seems like their extra element isn't prominent enough to justify a pure type.

Unless... they are going to treat Normal more like a proper element now?
What part of Normal is elemental enough to justify adding it as the extra type after 5 generations never doing that? Like, is there some kind of abilities I'm missing that would explain this thing on Helioptile and Litleo?
Everything I even imagined as elemental aspects of the Normal type up till now is pretty much summed up into or better covered by the Fairy type even.. x_x

back on topic,
Interesting fact you've brought up!
Flying being secondary all the way to Tornadus shows its no issue for a type to not have primary representatives for many generations.

I think at least the bird like Fairy pokémon should be fairy/flying. The image shows it at least floats, but since it has wings, I'd say it can actually fly...

Also, after reading the description of Xerneas' attack and since it kind of contrasts Yveltal (which is airbone) in being a grounded legendary connected with life and forests, I now think Xerneas should have been Fairy/Ground...
But really, IMO, it just feels weird to have one being pure-type and the other dual-type... The legendary pair mascots have always been both pure (Kyogre and Groudon) or both dual-types (everyone else)...

@Mitja

I'm more optimistic with their normal-types and see it as an opportunity for them to have wider movepools than their electric and fire pure counterparts.

I think they make sense as being part normal the same way we accept girafarig as part normal and sawsbuck as part normal.

I think many of these Pokemon will have dual type evolutions.

Raptor9229 said:
Blob55 said:
I guess not, but when I first saw it, I thought it was a fish and evolved into Skrelp (the image below it).

It does not even look like Skrelp. Also the squid . . .Time to name it Calmar (French name for Calamari)

I love how it is Dark/Psychic which gives it a 4x weakness to bug types. but seriously, I am not upset about the distribution as most of those look like they would evolve into another pokemon and gain a new type in the process. The one holding the flower looks like it would evolve and gain the grass type. The bird looks like it would gain the flying type upon evolution. Shushupu literally looks like it would evolve into something else and so do the flower holding fairy type and the cotton candy looking pokemon.

It looked like Skrelp at first to me because of the pink mouth/nose and red eyes.

Mitja said:
back on topic,
Interesting fact you've brought up!
Flying being secondary all the way to Tornadus shows its no issue for a type to not have primary representatives for many generations.

Bug types are almost always primary and the only exceptions are the Anorith line and Skorupi.

Jakeremix said:
Pokequaza said:
Flabébé is very simple; The Pokémon itself isn't a plant, arguing Flabébé should have been Fairy/Grass, would be like arguing Farfetch'd should be part Grass as well, or Gurdurr part Steel.

Thank you!

I agree but all I am saying that it is possible that it could evolve into a Fairy/Grass pokemon.

Metalizard said:
But really, IMO, it just feels weird to have one being pure-type and the other dual-type... The legendary pair mascots have always been both pure (Kyogre and Groudon) or both dual-types (everyone else)...

I completely expected it, and it would have felt more weird to me if Xerneas was some badass Psychic/Electric combo or something while Yveltal is stuck with the Flying as extra because of its wings..

Besides, we've seen something at least as weird in gen V:
Tornadus and Thundurus (even weirder since they share a type)
Sure they're not mascots, but they're also supposed to be perfectly equal roles.

EDIT:
I just realized something.
Whitney, Johtos Normal type gym leader uses a Clefairy. Heck, even the gym layout itself resembles Clefairy.
Of course one could simply point out that this was gen 2 when Fairy type didn't exist yet, but I'm confident now Clefairy will be Normal/Fairy and not pure Fairy because of Jigglypuffs type and this fact alone :I

Mitja said:
Whitney, Johtos Normal type gym leader uses a Clefairy. Heck, even the gym layout itself resembles Clefairy.
Of course one could simply point out that this was gen 2 when Fairy type didn't exist yet, but I'm confident now Clefairy will be Normal/Fairy and not pure Fairy because of Jigglypuffs type and this fact alone :I

Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if Whitney started specializing in Fairy types next time we got to Johto.

Clefairy doesn't seem to have many Normal type traits, so I don't think it'll be Normal/Fairy, I think it'll be Fairy or Fairy/Normal.

I think GF missed out on a great opportunity to show how life and death balance each other out by having xerneas be fairy/grass. Fairy>Dark
Grass<Flying
But I'm sure they'll have a reason for not doing it. I mean, it's very obvious so it's not like they simply didn't think of it. As for other fairies, things like jiggilypuff, gardevoir, and marill have fairy features AND/OR backstories/inspirations, but are not completely fairy. That's why they got it secondary. And some of you are jumping to conclusions about the pure fairies. Flabebe could obviously fuse with the flower and become secondary grass while the bird thing probably doesn't like to fly much now, but when it evolves it relies on it more (thus becoming secondary flying type). It's obvious GF doesn't have a set definition for fairy, so you guys should be thankful for pure types. There might not be a lot of them.

Bolt the Cat said:
Mitja said:

Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if Whitney started specializing in Fairy types next time we got to Johto.

Clefairy doesn't seem to have many Normal type traits, so I don't think it'll be Normal/Fairy, I think it'll be Fairy or Fairy/Normal.
Depends on your definition of what a normal-type trait is.

Metalizard said:
I think at least the bird like Fairy pokémon should be fairy/flying. The image shows it at least floats, but since it has wings, I'd say it can actually fly...

Also, after reading the description of Xerneas' attack and since it kind of contrasts Yveltal (which is airbone) in being a grounded legendary connected with life and forests, I now think Xerneas should have been Fairy/Ground...

Xerneas' attack, "Geo Control," probably has more to do with controlling the "life force" of the planet (much more than just nature or the ground itself) so a Fairy/Ground-type wouldn't be anymore justifiable than a Fairy/Grass-type, making it a lot simpler to keep Xerneas' type as pure Fairy-type (Fairy most likely representing life in Xerneas' case).

Also, Xerneas being part Ground-type would give it a weakness against Water-type attacks. It wouldn't make much sense for a creature representing life to be weak to Water-type attacks, since nature tends to benefit from water as a resource, so if anything, Xerneas would probably be made Fairy/Grass-type before a Fairy/Ground-type would even be considered.

And to slightly counter the Fairy/Grass argument: if Fairy-types truly have a Poison weakness, Fairy/Grass-types would have a 4x weakness to Poison-type attacks. I don't think Gamefreak would want one of the two legendary mascots of a new generation to have such a huge weakness -- especially one representing a brand new type (there have only been two legendary mascots with such big weaknesses, Ho-oh with a 4x Rock-type weakness and Rayquaza with a 4x Ice-type weakness.. and three non-mascot legendary Pokemon: Genesect, with a 4x Fire-type weakness, and Articuno and Moltres with 4x Rock-type weaknesses).

Fee said:
Ohman177 said:

Because I like it as pure fairy and grass is one of the worst types ever.
Go opinions go.

I chose snivy for both W and W2. Grass types can be quite useful if you know how to use them.

Personally I think if Flabebe, 1) Stayed how it is now, evolving into a bigger maybe fancier-looking elf thing, it would be highly predictable a bland-ish in design sense. 2) Fused with the flower, would give it something a bit 'newer' design wise [I don't recall any past gen pokemon starting with an item and the fusing with it after evolving, if im missing something please tell] and maybe a bit more interesting than said 'bigger elf thing'.

I was disappointed at first about my favorite 6th gen mascot getting my least favorite type, but seeing all this ' if it was this it would have x4 this, and if it was this it would have a x4 this ' makes me glad its a single-type thus with no x4 anything /and/ a dragon slayer. Fairy being weak to poison* even supports the whole 'life' thing, since i think all of our current poison-MAINTYPE pokemon are from strange mutations of some sort [again, tell me if its otherwise. Thinking grimer line and trubbish line when i typed this] and not true/organic 'life', and IRL poison kills things [ie poison killds/ends life].

*Is this even confirmed yet or are we going by the source who's been 99% correct about their leaks?

Whitefire said:
Fee said:
Because I like it as pure fairy and grass is one of the worst types ever.
Go opinions go.

I chose snivy for both W and W2. Grass types can be quite useful if you know how to use them.

Personally I think if Flabebe, 1) Stayed how it is now, evolving into a bigger maybe fancier-looking elf thing, it would be highly predictable a bland-ish in design sense. 2) Fused with the flower, would give it something a bit 'newer' design wise [I don't recall any past gen pokemon starting with an item and the fusing with it after evolving, if im missing something please tell] and maybe a bit more interesting than said 'bigger elf thing'.

I was disappointed at first about my favorite 6th gen mascot getting my least favorite type, but seeing all this ' if it was this it would have x4 this, and if it was this it would have a x4 this ' makes me glad its a single-type thus with no x4 anything /and/ a dragon slayer. Fairy being weak to poison* even supports the whole 'life' thing, since i think all of our current poison-MAINTYPE pokemon are from strange mutations of some sort [again, tell me if its otherwise. Thinking grimer line and trubbish line when i typed this] and not true/organic 'life', and IRL poison kills things [ie poison killds/ends life].

*Is this even confirmed yet or are we going by the source who's been 99% correct about their leaks?

I believe we now know the types of every Pokemon released so far, as of the recent CoroCoro page reveals.

AtmosphericThunder said:
I believe we now know the types of every Pokemon released so far, as of the recent CoroCoro page reveals.

That's nice. I mean whether or not poison is good against fairy, and all those other 'assumed' effectivenesses.

Whitefire said:
AtmosphericThunder said:

That's nice. I mean whether or not poison is good against fairy, and all those other 'assumed' effectivenesses.

The information below was given to WaterPokemonMaster from the same insider source that leaked the correct information about things like Pangoro's, Inkay's and Malamar's names to name just a bit:

Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.

Sylveon is Fairy-type. Some older Pokemon will be reclassified to Fairy, such as Mawile (Steel/Fairy).

Mewtwo has two new formes, not just one. Both are activated via items.

The professor's English name is Patrice.

The Starter final evolutions are Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting.

The first Gym is Bug, the second is Fairy, and the fourth is Fighting.

A few attacks will be dual-typed.

There will be a new type of battling style that Flying-type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate can participate in.

You will be able to see a Pokemon's EVs at a certain in-game facility. You will be able to boost the EVs through mini-games. It will take about two hours to get one stat to max EVs.

AtmosphericThunder said:
Whitefire said:

The information below was given to WaterPokemonMaster from the same insider source that leaked the correct information about things like Pangoro's, Inkay's and Malamar's names to name just a bit:

Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.

Sylveon is Fairy-type. Some older Pokemon will be reclassified to Fairy, such as Mawile (Steel/Fairy).

Mewtwo has two new formes, not just one. Both are activated via items.

The professor's English name is Patrice.

The Starter final evolutions are Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting.

The first Gym is Bug, the second is Fairy, and the fourth is Fighting.

A few attacks will be dual-typed.

There will be a new type of battling style that Flying-type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate can participate in.

You will be able to see a Pokemon's EVs at a certain in-game facility. You will be able to boost the EVs through mini-games. It will take about two hours to get one stat to max EVs.

What's the difference between being weak to something and something taking half damage from you?

It means
Fairy types are weak to poison and steel
Fire and Psychic types resist fairy attacks.

I don't mind the typing of a lot of these. I mean, when I fist saw Flabebe, yes, I thought she'd be a grass / fairy type, but I'm fine with her being pure fairy.
I want to see a water/fairy though.

As for the fairy gym leader and the gym as a whole, I predict it'll have
Ralts, Jigglypuff, Marill, Swirlix, Spritzee, and Flabee
Or such in it. Mostly pure ones but it'll have duel types in there somewhere.

Honestly, as many have said, I think it's too early to be complaining.

Scuba Steve said:
It means
Fairy types are weak to poison and steel
Fire and Psychic types resist fairy attacks.

I don't mind the typing of a lot of these. I mean, when I fist saw Flabebe, yes, I thought she'd be a grass / fairy type, but I'm fine with her being pure fairy.
I want to see a water/fairy though.

As for the fairy gym leader and the gym as a whole, I predict it'll have
Ralts, Jigglypuff, Marill, Swirlix, Spritzee, and Flabee
Or such in it. Mostly pure ones but it'll have duel types in there somewhere.

Honestly, as many have said, I think it's too early to be complaining.

That doesn't really explain it. Can you go more into taking and giving damage. What is doubled and so on.

Alright....you're trolling me....right? You're older than me so I hope you are

If you use a fairy type attack against a dark, dragon or fighting Pokémon, the damage that attack causes to the Pokémon will be doubled, as dark, dragon and fighting Pokémon are weak to fairy type attacks.

If you use a fairy type attack against a fire or a psychic Pokémon, the damage that attack causes will be cut in half, as fire and psychic Pokémon resist fairy attack

If a fairy type Pokémon is hit with a poison or a steel attack, the attack will do twice as much damage as normal, because fairy type Pokémon are weak to poison and steel attacks.

If a dragon attack is used on a fairy Pokémon, the fairy Pokémon will take no damage at all, because fairy Pokémon are immune to dragon attacks

That's all you're getting from me. I know you're trolling me, but I feel like humoring you since this will help me remember the info on Fairy Pokémon XD.

Scuba Steve said:
Alright....you're trolling me....right? You're older than me so I hope you are

If you use a fairy type attack against a dark, dragon or fighting Pokémon, the damage that attack causes to the Pokémon will be doubled, as dark, dragon and fighting Pokémon are weak to fairy type attacks.

If you use a fairy type attack against a fire or a psychic Pokémon, the damage that attack causes will be cut in half, as fire and psychic Pokémon resist fairy attack

If a fairy type Pokémon is hit with a poison or a steel attack, the attack will do twice as much damage as normal, because fairy type Pokémon are weak to poison and steel attacks.

If a dragon attack is used on a fairy Pokémon, the fairy Pokémon will take no damage at all, because fairy Pokémon are immune to dragon attacks

That's all you're getting from me. I know you're trolling me, but I feel like humoring you since this will help me remember the info on Fairy Pokémon XD.

What if a fire or psychic pokemon attacks a fairy? What if a fairy attacks a poison or steel type?

Back