XY What Is Your Opinion on The Fairy-type? Think Pokémon, Type-Distribution, etc.

RE: Anyone else upset at the type distribution of the Fairy type?

I would assume the fire and psychic attacks will do neutral damage to fairy Pokémon
There is no list yet on what attacks will do less damage when used on a fairy Pokémon, so there is no way to confirm what types of attacks fairy types resist. We only know they are immune to dragon attacks.

Scuba Steve said:
I would assume the fire and psychic attacks will do neutral damage to fairy Pokémon
There is no list yet on what attacks will do less damage when used on a fairy Pokémon, so there is no way to confirm what types of attacks fairy types resist. We only know they are immune to dragon attacks.

I was genuinely confused by what you meant when you said "weak to" cause that could mean either they take half damage or give half damage or both or kalsjflkshfg. So yeah that was the only thing i wondered.

Oh boy... you think the type distribution is bad as is now? Apparently there's another rumor out there, apparently from someone in the know at IGN, that states a full 78 previous Pokemon (including 36 Normal-types) are getting Fairy type as a secondary type... I know its just a rumor, and there's no way that many characters will get retyped, but still, I'm certain that's way more than any of us would be comfortable with.

Whitefire said:
Fee said:
Because I like it as pure fairy and grass is one of the worst types ever.
Go opinions go.

I chose snivy for both W and W2. Grass types can be quite useful if you know how to use them.

Personally I think if Flabebe, 1) Stayed how it is now, evolving into a bigger maybe fancier-looking elf thing, it would be highly predictable a bland-ish in design sense. 2) Fused with the flower, would give it something a bit 'newer' design wise [I don't recall any past gen pokemon starting with an item and the fusing with it after evolving, if im missing something please tell] and maybe a bit more interesting than said 'bigger elf thing'.

I was disappointed at first about my favorite 6th gen mascot getting my least favorite type, but seeing all this ' if it was this it would have x4 this, and if it was this it would have a x4 this ' makes me glad its a single-type thus with no x4 anything /and/ a dragon slayer. Fairy being weak to poison* even supports the whole 'life' thing, since i think all of our current poison-MAINTYPE pokemon are from strange mutations of some sort [again, tell me if its otherwise. Thinking grimer line and trubbish line when i typed this] and not true/organic 'life', and IRL poison kills things [ie poison killds/ends life].

*Is this even confirmed yet or are we going by the source who's been 99% correct about their leaks?

Yes it is an opinion, stating that is redundant. I also used Snivy, it was useful, but I only picked it for the design and something else would have likely been more useful. Grass is still one of the worst types ever "in my opinion".

Flabébé fusing with the flower is what everyone seems to be wanting/expecting aside from the people saying it won't evolve at all so I think that would be more predictable since more people are predicting it. Also even if there hasn't been another Pokémon that fused with the item it was holding there are multiple Pokémon that are humanoids fused with flowers which is what Flabébé would look like.

AtmosphericThunder said:
Whitefire said:
That's nice. I mean whether or not poison is good against fairy, and all those other 'assumed' effectivenesses.

The information below was given to WaterPokemonMaster from the same insider source that leaked the correct information about things like Pangoro's, Inkay's and Malamar's names to name just a bit:

Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.

Ok, so, yes we're still just assuming these and not all other them have been confirmed, however plausible.

Thank you for reposting, though. Easier to find yes

Whitefire said:
AtmosphericThunder said:
The information below was given to WaterPokemonMaster from the same insider source that leaked the correct information about things like Pangoro's, Inkay's and Malamar's names to name just a bit:

Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.

Ok, so, yes we're still just assuming these and not all other them have been confirmed, however plausible.

I'm just saying that it would be surprising for these things to be wrong as this point (aside from a few small details since the source was typing it up from memory).

Whitefire said:
AtmosphericThunder said:

Gotta say, it'd be kinda disappointing if Fire resists Fairy type... not because Fire doesn't deserve another resistance (it really does) but that just means Fairy-types won't bring any changes to Reshiram's defense. When it comes to overpowered dragons, Reshiram is definitely high on the list, and while Fairy-types may be immune to Dragon-type attacks, they're not gonna be able to do much in return.

Scuba Steve said:

And that is just about balanced.

I don't understand why so many people think that resistances just haven't been told yet (doesn' make sense for rumors mentioning everything except for Fairys resistances, if the rumors are true, its true that it only has the Dragon immunity), its already good defensively.

It only has two uncommon weaknesses, while having an immunity to Dragon of all things.
Ice would kill for trading its only resistance for an immunity to a high-rank offensive type like Rock, Fighting or Fire (all of which its actually weak to simultaneously......)

Ohman177 said:
I think GF missed out on a great opportunity to show how life and death balance each other out by having xerneas be fairy/grass. Fairy>Dark
Grass<Flying

They most likely wanted pure typing on both. fairy<->dark. But the thing is obviously flying and they have sky battles now. There's a wonderful opportunity here to make a truly unique legendary encounter.

It seems as if they might spend this generation introducing the new type first before doing anything weird with it. While it doesn't make sense that the type distribution would be so bland, especially considering that the Dark and Steel types had plenty of variation when introduced, it's been so long since we've had an actual new type. So perhaps they're spending this generation showing us just what a Fairy type is, and then going off in the next gen and playing around with the types? It sounds really stupid but the logic is there???

Also, I doubt Swirlix and Spritzee will stay pure Fairies, or I hope they don't. Then again, Gothitelle was a pure Psychic too and it and Reuniclus were big version exclusives of Gen 5. :/

Am I seriously the only one that has no problem with Xerneas being pure Fairy-type? I mean, its design has literally NO Grass-type characteristics. No leaves, no green, nothing. If Xerneas appeared with a background of glaciers and icebergs, you would say it would be an Ice-type. If it appeared with a background of waterfalls, you'd say it would be a Water-type. There's really no type that fits its design other than Fairy, Psychic, or maybe Steel, in my opinion.

AdamLambert said:
Am I seriously the only one that has no problem with Xerneas being pure Fairy-type? I mean, its design has literally NO Grass-type characteristics. No leaves, no green, nothing. If Xerneas appeared with a background of glaciers and icebergs, you would say it would be an Ice-type. If it appeared with a background of waterfalls, you'd say it would be a Water-type. There's really no type that fits its design other than Fairy, Psychic, or maybe Steel, in my opinion.

Nope, you're not the only one. It's terrible logic to use.

Fairy/Grass would have made sense given Xerneas's whole lifey theme going on, but pure Fairy accomplishes the exact same thing. And I do agree: the design gives no hints to a Grass typing beyond "this is deer".

AdamLambert said:

It's not that big of a deal with it being pure Fairy, but he is being shown in woodland areas (where fairies also typically reside) which would/could hint towards a grass type. If he had been shown near icebergs, as an example you used, then one *could* assume he's part ice. It's really not that big of a stretch to associate a background the Pokémon is revealed in AND the design of a Pokémon into its type(s).

Not sure where you got psychic from, but I figured it to be fairy/steel, steel/grass, or fairy/grass.

I never imagined it as a Grass type, since they are mainly plants. I did think it could be Steel, and I can also see why somebody could think it was part Psychic or even Normal (since Normal can just be added to anything nowadays :p ). In general I am happy with the pure Fairy type.

Back on topic: I am not upset about the Fairy-type distribution (assuming the rumors are true), although I would have preferred it if they were not immune to Dragon-type moves, but would simply resist it. I was also hoping for the Ice-type to gain more offensive power, especially now, since Dragon-type Pokémon have another weakness with the Fairy-type introduced. If Ice-type Pokémon are not needed to deal with Dragon-type Pokémon I think a lot of people will stop using them competitively.

Drohn said:
I never imagined it as a Grass type, since they are mainly plants. I did think it could be Steel, and I can also see why somebody could think it was part Psychic or even Normal (since Normal can just be added to anything nowadays :p ). In general I am happy with the pure Fairy type.

Back on topic: I am not upset about the Fairy-type distribution (assuming the rumors are true), although I would have preferred it if they were not immune to Dragon-type moves, but would simply resist it. I was also hoping for the Ice-type to gain more offensive power, especially now, since Dragon-type Pokémon have another weakness with the Fairy-type introduced. If Ice-type Pokémon are not needed to deal with Dragon-type Pokémon I think a lot of people will stop using them competitively.

Ice is much too useful to just die out because Dragon gained a new weakness. Fairy is confirmed to damage Dragons super-effectively, and is rumored to also hit Dark and Fighting-types super-effectively. If that's all, then Ice will still be a perfectly popular attacking type to use since it covers Dragon-types as well as Ground, Flying, and Grass-types for super-effective damage (the Flying-type accounts for over 13% of all Pokemon, and Pokemon X and Y have already revealed quite a few interesting Flying-types: Vivillon, Talonflame, Noivern, and Yeltal).

Many Dragon-type Pokemon are absolutely devastated by Ice-type attacks like the ever-so-popular Ice Beam, so don't expect the Ice-type to suffer.

AtmosphericThunder said:
Drohn said:

Ice is much too useful to just die out because Dragon gained a new weakness. Fairy is confirmed to damage Dragons super-effectively, and is rumored to also hit Dark and Fighting-types super-effectively. If that's all, then Ice will still be a perfectly popular attacking type to use since it covers Dragon-types as well as Ground, Flying, and Grass-types for super-effective damage (the Flying-type accounts for over 13% of all Pokemon, and Pokemon X and Y have already revealed quite a few interesting Flying-types: Vivillon, Talonflame, Noivern, and Yeltal).

Many Dragon-type Pokemon are absolutely devastated by Ice-type attacks like the ever-so-popular Ice Beam, so don't expect the Ice-type to suffer.

Well ice pokemon are slowly fading into the background in my opinion. Excluding the legendaries, most people just put ice attacks on a pokemon of a different type instead of having an ice pokemon.

AdamLambert said:

Light honestly fits Xerneas the best out of everything even if it doesn't exist. Seriously...

I would have loved a sound-type sooo much, but I really didn't think it fit Yveltal. Dark/Flying is pretty much what I thought it would be all along. If it would've been dragon, that's just as bad as having another Fire/Fighting starter.

Why does xerneas need a grass type?

It has like no type of grass anything on it.

If anything I would suggest fairy/steel or fairy/ground.

Just because its a regal deer doesn't mean it looks over a forest or is grass.

AtmosphericThunder said:

I see your point, but many Flying-type Pokémon are not often used in competitive battles due to the limited moves they can learn. Often people use Flying-type Pokémon with secondary types, that can also be strong against Ice-type Pokémon and resist it (Flying/Rock, Flying/Fire, Flying/Steel, Flying/Water). Flying/Ground/Grass-type Pokémon are often easier dealt with by using other Pokémon types, with less weaknesses than Ice-type Pokémon. Ice-type Pokémon are weak to many popular types (Fighting, Fire, and more). Now that the Fairy-type is introduced, and rumored to be weak against Steel-type attacks, the Steel-type will become more popular too, which is also a weakness of Ice-type Pokémon.

Also, the Normal/Fairy-type Pokémon that have been revealed can learn different elemental attacks, including Ice Beam.

I also don't think they will die out, but I do think that for competitive battles they will be replaced a lot, and used a lot less.

Back