XY What Is Your Opinion on The Fairy-type? Think Pokémon, Type-Distribution, etc.

RE: What cool new Pokemon/evolution do you want to see in the 6th generation?

the offense and defense of a type are not directly connected (apart from STAB giving a reason to use same type moves), so you can't look at any kind of balance there.

For example Ice is an awesome offensive type, but defensively it's horrifyingly awful. So what happens? Any Ice type pokemon that is not a powerful sweeper (like Weavile) and pretends to at least want to stay in the field for more than 2 turns, is doomed to fail no matter its stats. On the other side, all the other decent-typed Pokemon (like Water) enjoy abusing Ices offensive abilities by simply sticking an Ice Beam on their moveset.

So these are really two things that have to be looked at separately in most cases.
No one is using Steel moves atm besides BulletPunch on Scizor and maybe Meteor Mash on Metagross. If it gets a buff now where it is good against Fairies, and if there will be any serious fairies that pose a threat, then perhaps guys like Heatran and Magnezone will not be "wasting a moveslot" anymore by putting something like Flash Cannon on there.

I just realized that with Steel moves possibly gaining attention its going to get even worse for Ice types...what the hell gamefreak? nerfing dragons shouldnt have been priority over buffing ice pokemon to begin with...
I wish they'd give it some resistances. To Ground and Water at least (Dragon seems like too much now when Fairies will already nerf them even more drastically than just a resistance)...

RE: What cool new Pokemon/evolution do you want to see in the 6th generation?

professorlight said:
professorlight said:
steel types are annoying enough, now they will be a danger too, poison won't be too much of a problem, the steel types worry me more, specially since they tend to favor attack, and gardevoir's defense is really low.

Sky Pillar said:
You're forgetting she's weak to steel-types too. Something like Magnezone would put an end to her, her only coverage for steel-type threats is focus blast and that's playing russian roulette.

Exactly; before the new type it was very very difficult for gardevoir to face a steel type... now it will be impossible (unless they give her a decent fire or fighting move, which won't happen).
I don't think fairy being weak to steel makes sense, both from a logic standpoint and from a balance standpoint. Steel is a defensive type, so it makes sense that it has a lot of resistances but is good against just two rare types (ice and rock), because while it can safely face almost anything it won't kill it easily. I think being resistant to almost all the other types outweighs having two advantages (usefulness-wise).

Exactly! Can we all be logical and think about how ridiculous fairy being weak to steel is. And even if it does happen, right now it hasn't been confirmed. So currently, from what we know, Gardevoir is at pretty good standings.
Unless of course there actually was something proving fairy to be weak to steel and I just missed it. If so, someone please direct me to the nearest wall so that I may bang my head repeatedly.

Ghost King said:
I am glad dragon has a new weakness, and I want Flabébé to evolve and have a different plant to attack to and its body to grow, then for final form become like a tree dryad and it attached to big freaking tree.

I always thought it would merge with the plant it chose and that would decide it's color scheme once it evolves. Having different color dryads would be sooooo cool and I'd definitely go after them all.
Unless GF pulls a freaking Spinda on us again. Then my OCD will end up spending another week killing itself over the fact that I can't have every Flabebe, only a few of an incomplete set.

Your views on the Fairy type-distribution and the new Fairy-type Pokémon

So far all the 6th gen Pokémon that are confirmed to be Fairy type are ALL pure Fairy types. Is anyone else upset by this?
The ONLY non-pure Fairy type Pokémon so far seem to be Marill and Gardevoir (Jigglypuff could be changed to just Fairy). Did GF decide that it's impossible for Fairy types in Kalos to be duel-typed or something?

Here's how the types could be improved:
Xerneas - Fairy/Grass (It looks like it looks over an entire forest. Why WOULDN'T it be part Grass type?)
Flabébé - Grass/Fairy (Why did GF start to add accents to Pokémon names? Does this mean Illumisé will be changed?)
Shushupu - Fairy/Flying (It has wings)
Peroppafu - Fairy/Sugar (Its in-game appearance looks like it has feet, but the official artwork only shows a tail).

[private] Make sure you guys moderate this well. It has the potential to start flame wars.~KA [/private]

RE: Anyone else upset at the type distribution of the Fairy type?

Considering what little information we have, I'd say it's too early to be "upset" about anything that general. You can't really make such broad, sweeping claims about an entire type's distribution based on the few pokémon that have been announced so far.

Artemis said:
Considering what little information we have, I'd say it's too early to be "upset" about anything that general. You can't really make such broad, sweeping claims about an entire type's distribution based on the few pokémon that have been announced so far.

True, but I doubt there will be many more new Pokémon of this type, as GF have 17 more types they can focus on and unless people in Kalos don't know about certain types, I don't think many more Fairy type Pokémon will be introduced.

I think that the only ones that should be pure Fairy are Xerneas, Sylveon and Peroppafu. (only because its refreshing to have a pure type legendary after 2 gens of dragons)

All the others do have types that they could be; I'm cautiously optimistic that Flabébé will evolve into a Fairy/Grass type, and the bird thing will evolve into a Fairy/Flying.

It all depends on whether the cliche fat pink blobs will be changed to pure fairy ala chansey and clefairy. Id love that.

If not, then they'll all be Normal/Fairy and Other/Fairy, which I would personally think doesnt feel right too.

But you know, theres been similar stuff in the past. Ice types for example have been the "extra type" in many cases, which is probably why gen 5 added 3 pure ice lines etc.

As they will probably not change old Pokémon to pure Fairy and thus there will be plenty of dual fairies it is a good idea to make a bunch of pure faries in gen 6. Of course there will be some dual faries too...

Blob55 starts again..

I actually like the pure types. I prefer them over dual-types. Pure types make it easier to define a type, which for me is important. I don't mind some dual-types, but knowing that a lot of older Pokémon will get a secondary Fairy-type (Gardevoir, Marill, Jigglypuff..), I think it's actually a smart way (and a must) to give us some pure Fairy types. Although, I expect Birdy and CottonCandy to evolve, thus creating the opportunity to end up with an additional type.

Mitja said:
It all depends on whether the cliche fat pink blobs will be changed to pure fairy ala chansey and clefairy. Id love that.

If not, then they'll all be Normal/Fairy and Other/Fairy, which I would personally think doesnt feel right too.

Togepi creates a problem, Normal/Fairy wouldn't work for it. If it will be retyped (which I do expect, just like Clefairy), it has to be either Fairy or Fairy/Normal, since Togetic and Togekiss have their Flying type, and it's easier to replace Normal than Flying. Thus retyping Togetic/Togekiss as Fairy/Flying.

If Togepi gets the privilege to be a pure or a primary Fairy-type, then there is nobody to stop them to change Clefairy into a pure Fairy-type as well. Jigglypuff is just ''less'' Fairy, a Normal/Fairy makes sense, but it would look weird on Clefairy.

I think the distribution will work itself out, though I hope GF doesn't try to implement TOO many fairy types to compensate. We still have 3 months left, so don't get salty just yet!

I do agree that Xerneas should be Fairy/Grass. That thing screams Fairy/Grass.

Blob55 said:
So far all the 6th gen Pokémon that are confirmed to be Fairy type are ALL pure Fairy types. Is anyone else upset by this?
The ONLY non-pure Fairy type Pokémon so far seem to be Marill and Gardevoir (Jigglypuff could be changed to just Fairy). Did GF decide that it's impossible for Fairy types in Kalos to be duel-typed or something?

Here's how the types could be improved:
Xerneas - Fairy/Grass (It looks like it looks over an entire forest. Why WOULDN'T it be part Grass type?)
Flabébé - Grass/Fairy (Why did GF start to add accents to Pokémon names? Does this mean Illumisé will be changed?)
Shushupu - Fairy/Flying (It has wings)
Peroppafu - Fairy/Sugar (Its in-game appearance looks like it has feet, but the official artwork only shows a tail).

Xerneas would be overdoing it with grass type a bit, a lot of legendaries actually have a single type by the way.

These legendaries are as listed in pokedex order:

1. Mewtwo
2. Mew
3. Raikou
4. Entei
5. Suicune
6. Regirock
7. Regice
8. Registeel
9. Kyogre
10. Groudon
11. Deoxys
12. Uxie
13. Mesprit
14. Azelf
15. Regigigas
16. Cresselia
17. Phione (legendary status disputed but I am counting it for convenience)
18. Manaphy
19. Darkrai
20. Shaymin land forme (Its sky forme is dual typed but since I am considering just the default formes it is not going to be listed)
21. Every variant of Arceus (I.E. after it changes type after equipping a plate and its normal form but I am considering the default form it is in) Please note that I did not want to list Arceus seventeen times because that would be redundant.
22. Tornadus
23. Xerneas (now that it is confirmed fairy type, that said it is so far the only single type gen six legendary we have for now)

Legendaries that are dual typed in pokedex order:

1. Arcticuno
2. Zapdos
3. Moltres
4. Lugia
5. Ho-oh
6. Celebi
7. Latias
8. Latios
9. Rayquaza
10. Jirachi
11. Dialga
12. Palkia
13. Heatran
14. Giratina
15. Victini
16. Cobalion
17. Terrakkion
18. Virizion
19. Thundurus
20. Reshiram
21. Zekrom
22. Landorus
23. Kyurem
24. Meloetta (both formes actually)
25. Genesect
26. Yveltal

Note: There would be 2 here if I put Shaymin Sky Forme but yeah the ammount of single type legendaries is so far even.

I actually have no problem with Xerneas being a pure fairy type.

I also have no problem with most of the pokemon revealed being pure fairy types (As in the fairy type ones)

That said just because it has wings (shushupu, Celebi, a few bug types, some dragon types, Dunsparce, the porygon line [Conversion and Conversion 2 does not count], the torchic line [They may be based on chickens but torchic kind of does have wings anyway and yes chickens can fly in real life too], ) does not necessarily mean it will be a flying type. That said flying type also does not necessarily mean you will have wings (Arceus with the respective plate, Gyarados, Tornadus normal forme, Thundurus, Landorus, Rayquaza [I would not call those plates wings], Fan Rotom, the hoppip, the mantine line (those are not wings) line come to mind here, also Doduo and Dodrio even though the pokedex entries say they have small wings at one point we have not had evidence of those yet).

I am also not upset about the type distribution of the fairy type yet, also there may be a few more new pokemon that are primary fairy type with a few new pokemon. But my point is basically that you can complain about a type's distribution all you want but Gamefreak and Nintendo are not required to look at those complaints and do anything about and thus there is no real reason to complain.

But so far most Pokémon that look like they should be part flying either are, or already have a secondary type or have typing that better suits what they look like (Venomoth, Dustox ect...) and I honestly like duel-typed Pokémon more, as I find pure Rock, Ice and Ground types to be boring, and having a load of Fairies be duel-typed could expand on the game a bit.
For example, I like that Mawile (Looks like a Helipotile evo IMO) is gaining the Fairy type, because that means its secondary type gets an immunity to one of its (rumored) weaknesses. If all new Fairy-type Pokémon are JUST Fairy type, then it'll make the game feel predictable and it makes me think of Xerneas as nothing more than a more powerful Slyveon/Flabébé/Shushupu ect...

Blob55 said:
But so far most Pokémon that look like they should be part flying either are, or already have a secondary type or have typing that better suits what they look like (Venomoth, Dustox ect...) and I honestly like duel-typed Pokémon more, as I find pure Rock, Ice ect... to be boring and having a load of Fairies be duel-typed could expand on the game a bit.
For example, I like that Mawile (Looks like a Helipotile evo IMO) is gaining the Fairy type, because that means its secondary type gets an immunity to one of its (rumored) weaknesses. If all new Fairy-type Pokémon are JUST Fairy type, then it'll make the game feel predictable and it makes me think that Xerneas is nothing more than a more powerful Slyveon/Flabébé/Shushupu ect...

To be fair Shushupu looks like it would evolve into another pokemon so it might evolve into a fairy/flying type later on down the lines.

Does Shushupu even look fully evolved to you in the first place?

Also how do you know that Mawile is going to be fairy type? I have not seen anything confirming that.

Raptor9229 said:
Blob55 said:
But so far most Pokémon that look like they should be part flying either are, or already have a secondary type or have typing that better suits what they look like (Venomoth, Dustox ect...) and I honestly like duel-typed Pokémon more, as I find pure Rock, Ice ect... to be boring and having a load of Fairies be duel-typed could expand on the game a bit.
For example, I like that Mawile (Looks like a Helipotile evo IMO) is gaining the Fairy type, because that means its secondary type gets an immunity to one of its (rumored) weaknesses. If all new Fairy-type Pokémon are JUST Fairy type, then it'll make the game feel predictable and it makes me think that Xerneas is nothing more than a more powerful Slyveon/Flabébé/Shushupu ect...

To be fair Shushupu looks like it would evolve into another pokemon so it might evolve into a fairy/flying type later on down the lines.

Also how do you know that Mawile is going to be fairy type? I have not seen anything confirming that.

I guess not, but when I first saw it, I thought it was a Red Parrot Fish and evolved into Skrelp (the image below it).

Blob55 said:
Raptor9229 said:

I guess not, but when I first saw it, I thought it was a fish and evolved into Skrelp (the image below it).

It does not even look like Skrelp. Also the squid . . .Time to name it Calmar (French name for Calamari)

I love how it is Dark/Psychic which gives it a 4x weakness to bug types. but seriously, I am not upset about the distribution as most of those look like they would evolve into another pokemon and gain a new type in the process. The one holding the flower looks like it would evolve and gain the grass type. The bird looks like it would gain the flying type upon evolution. Shushupu literally looks like it would evolve into something else and so do the flower holding fairy type and the cotton candy looking pokemon.

The thing is, I rather see GameFreak design Pokémon instead of designing Pokémon after a certain type combination.

Groudon isn't just ''a stronger'' Sandshrew either, is it?

CottonCandy is pure Fairy, obviously. Birdy might have ''wings'', but that doesn't guarantee a Flying-type, it's also based on a plague mask, which resembles a bird, but who knows what creature is behind that mask? Flabébé is very simple; The Pokémon itself isn't a plant, arguing Flabébé should have been Fairy/Grass, would be like arguing Farfetch'd should be part Grass as well, or Gurdurr part Steel.

I'm a little disappointed by all of the pure fairy-type pokemon we've received thus far. I'm pretty sure some will evolve to be dual-type but I'd hate to see this gen have 40+ individual fairy-type pokemon.

If Flabébé evolves into fairy/grass or anything else besides pure fairy I'll be upset.

If they don't make enough pure faries in gen 6, then it will be flying type all over again seeing as GF isn't willing to make the old ones pure.

Fee said:
If Flabébé evolves into fairy/grass or anything else besides pure fairy I'll be upset.

It is holding a flower, if it does evolve it could very well fuse with said flower and gain the grass type. We have seen pokemon gain a type upon evolving before.

Back