XY What Is Your Opinion on The Fairy-type? Think Pokémon, Type-Distribution, etc.

[split] What Current Pokémon / Moves Would You Like To See Changed into a Fairy-type? Why?

I'm doing some math for the fairies, just because i want to know how much improvement will Fairy-type bring to some retyped pokemon.

I will be using cumulative score for this math. Cumulative score is basically a defensive point of one pokemon towards types. This is calculated by adding up each effectiveness for a type combo: 1 for neutral damage, 2 for super-effective, 0.25 for a double resistance and so on. Lower numbers are statistically better; a completely neutral Pokémon would score 18 (1 for each type).

Now we're on to the Pokemon already listed:

Gardevoir

Psychic cumulative score: 20
Psychic/Fairy cumulative score: 18,75

Gardevoir's retyping succesfully give her an difference of 1,25 score, giving her normal defense to Dark, normal defense to Bug, and immunity to Dragon.

Mawile

Steel cumulative score: 15
Steel/Fairy cumulative score: 13,25

Yes, Mawile gain a great boost to the score to even furtherly upgrade her good Steel base. Immunity to Dragon and Poison is a great thing, not to mention it also gain resistance to Dark, and furtherly resist Bug, while still being weak to Fire and Ground with the ever popular Earthquake. Too bad Mawile's quite low at it's BST, but the fact that it can Mega evolve might change this whole thing. By now, Fairy/Steel has the greatest cumulative score from all possible typing.

Move on to potential Fairy re-typed pokemon:

Milotic

Water cumulative score: 18
Water/Fairy cumulative score: 17

Milotic will gain 1 difference of score if it's added with Fairy type, giving her immunity to Dragon, normal defense on steel, additional resistance to Fighting, Dark, and Bug. I can really see Milotic become a good dragonslayer with this, due to it's quite high 540 BST and good Sp. stats. She can tank Outrage, then punish them hard with Moonblast or Ice Beam. Her being Water also makes her not weak to Bullet Punch, and she can even resist the popular Fighting type moves.

Togekiss

Normal/Flying cumulative score: 18
Fairy/Flying cumulative score: 18,25

Togekiss will suffer a slight 0,25 point from the retyping. It'll lose it's Ghost immunity, and instead, gain Dragon immunity. It'll highly resist Fight and Bug type, but still weak to Electric, Ice, Poison, Rock, and Steel. However, Togekiss good Sp. Atk can be used to abuse Moonblast and lowers foe's Sp.Atk with higher chance (due to Serene Grace).

Lilligant

Grass cumulative score: 21
Grass/Fairy cumulative score: 22

Yes, Lilligant will suffer quite big 1 point from it's retyping. But she will gain a Dragon immunity, in exchange for being super weak to Poison. Additional resistance on Fight and Dark, become normal defense on Bug, and new weakness to Steel. An access to Quiver Dance and Moonblast can slay some Dragons, however it's still susceptible to some fire-breathing Dragons.

Mismagius

Ghost cumulative score: 17
Ghost/Fairy cumulative score: 16,25

Mismagius will gain 0,75 point for the score, and gain additional Dragon immunity on top of Fighting and Normal immunity. It's now defend normally to Dark and Poison, and only weak to Ghost and Steel.

Blissey

Normal cumulative score: 18
Normal/Fairy cumulative score: 17

Blissey gain an improvement of 1 score, an additional immunity to Dragon. Furthermore, it'll now be able to defend normally to Fighting, but now weak to Poison and Steel. This could be a hell of a wall. It's usually fears heavy Fighting move and Outrage, but now it's easily defended. It's new weakness might help a bit, for some Bullet Punch maybe. Overall this is a whole new level of wall.

There are still more possibility for a retyping but this basically cover most. My conclusion is, Fairy type brings more pro to a retyped pokemon, who don't want an immunity against Dragon? This could stir some tier into who knows what.. :rolleyes:

My theory on why Fairy type has it advantages and disadvantages to various types

I have came to the the conclusion based on research amd coincidence that Fairy type pokemon are based on the general idea of fairy tails not faires or mythical creatures per se. For example Dragon type pokemon are weak to Fairy types because in fairy tales they usually die at the end because they are the antagonist in many popular stories. This also accounts for the immunity to Dragon type attacks that Fairy type pokemon possess. Poison type pokemon are strong against Fairy types and resistant to their attacks because in many fairy tales poison is use to kill or cast a spell on the protagonist like in Snow White. Also it gives poison types a needed boost in usage in the metagame. For Bug type attacks being resisted by fairy types took some research but I found a product call "Fairy -Tale" Bug Repellant which is kind of a stretch by Gamefreak but understandable.

The reason for Fairy type having an advantage and resistance to Dark type attacks are because dark types repesent Evil type in the Japanese games and in fairy tales evil is usually thwarted by good. This also prevents pokemon with the typing Ghost/Dark from not having natural type weaknesses with abilities being excluded. Now for Steel types they represent technology and with various forms of High-Tech gadgets many myths and fairy tales are usually not used to help entertain kids or believed in anymore. So that explains why they are strong against and resist Fairy types. Also it gives Steel type an offense use now in the metagame. For Fighting types the weakness to Fairy types and why Fairy types resist them are because in fairy tales they usually end in happy ending after a great battle or struggle that reestablishes peace rendering the soldiers useless afterward. In addition fairy tales are use to calm spirits and raise hope in a freindly and kind way which can resolve fighting such as in the story Arabian Nights which prevented the wife from being beheaded so she could save the other wives.Also it weakens Fighting dominance in the metagame. Lastly Fire types resist Fairy types because fire is used by antagonist to cause destruction and also to destroy supernatural things like ghost by burning their bones. It gives Fire types a needed defense boost in the metagame.

Can't say I'm a fan of Fairy-Type. The only Pokemon I like with the type is Xerneas, not enough for me to really like it's Pokemon.
My favorite type is also Dragon so...I hate Fairies.

I love fairies because I hate dragons. But there's too many fairies in this generation...I lost count already. I think I'll use on for loldragons <3

Matty said:
I love fairies because I hate dragons. But there's too many fairies in this generation...I lost count already. I think I'll use on for loldragons <3
Well, not really. Someone made a list of the older pokemon which - in their opinion - were going to be turned into the fairy-type. Today I read that half of mentioned pokemon wasn't changed.

Vulpix said:
Matty said:
Well, not really. Someone made a list of the older pokemon which - in their opinion - were going to be turned into the fairy-type. Today I read that half of mentioned pokemon wasn't changed.

There should be enough to choose from. Twelve were introduced, with quite a few retcons...
-Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir
-Azurill, Marill, Azumarill
-Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff
-Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable
-Togepi, Togetic, Togekiss
-Mime Jr, Mr Mime
-Mawile
-Snubbull, Granbull
-Cottonnee, Whimsicott

Of course Mime Jr and Cottonnee aren't confirmed, but based on Ralts/Kirlia it's probably likely they were, too.

Not too many at all. It's around the number most were expecting, sans Audino/Dunsparce (and the jury is still out on Chansey, I think). At least that was the case on realistic lists...some lists would name every monster in the Fairy egg group which was just setting up for disappointment/overkill.

I think the Fairy Type is quite the interesting addtion. Also, if anyone might have noticed is that the Fairy Type represents a lot of concepts, such as purity, mythological creatures, and I dare say it, the power of the light.....yes, the ever-asked, infamous, shot-down "Light" type, since some moves, such as Dazzling Gleam and Moonblast are somewhat light-oriented. For me, the Fairy Type was the perfect solution as it represents a lot of things, just like, for me anyways, the Dark-Type represents many things, which among them, is the theme of dirty fighting.

Back