Pokemon Unpopular Opinions Thread

I'm not sure these are really unpopular opinions or not, but they're my opinions nonetheless. I may dislike the current TCG Format quite a bit...but I actually like Pokemon Catcher and I know there were/are people that don't. I also like certain big Basic Pokemon like Darkrai, etc (not all of them) and Junk Hunting Hammers is fun for me as well. Similar to why I liked Durant and I know people hated that deck.

While I do like all the main Pokemon video games, I find playing through them normally to be really boring now. If I don't play with certain rules for myself, I can barely get through it (think Nuzlocke, etc). I really liked Gen 5 too. Even though I really liked Crystal and Emerald, I find almost all the "third version games" to be completely worthless and obvious cash-grabs (I'm including Black 2/White 2 in this too, they're some of the worst because they got two games out of it).

dmaster out.

I dislike the design of every gen 4 legendary except heatran and giratina's origin forme. And I loved pokemon contests, I spent more time than I should have in them.

Speaking of contests yeah I loved contests in R/S/E. But I disliked Super contests but Poketriathlon wasn't too bad. I also liked having to evolve Feebas via Max Beauty. I don't like the Prism Scale bit although it is more practical than the Max Beauty.

Amphy23 said:
I just love how people write off PMD: Infinity just because it doesn't have the personality quiz.

That isn't the ONLY reason.
  • Less than 150 different Pokémon, so each Dungeon is very repetitive.
  • Boring Dungeon layouts.
  • Gameplay is too easy.
  • Last boss is a joke.
  • The infinity gates are bad, because you can't play as your starter and just get a random one or evo.
  • Minor, but still annoying: You can choose the gender of your partner in the Japanese version, but not the international versions.

Let's see....

-I think Garbodor is the coolest concept and most endearing design in the series. I had been wanting a garbage creature like it since the first generation. It is literally my dream pokemon. I wrote a whole bloated article explaining why in further detail.

-In general I like the inanimate objects the most. They feel more like monsters, which pokemon are intended to be, and they've never made an object pokemon with a boring or forgettable design.

-There are virtually no legendaries and absolutely no starters that I like enough to ever use on a team. Nothing against most of them, just not my style at all.

-The only dragon type with a design that really appeals to me is Druddigon. Scaly and monstrous like a dragon ought to be.

-I find all Eeveelutions repetitive and rather dull. Vaporeon is the only one that stands out at all. Why are the rest so plain in comparison? Seems like sheer laziness.

-I think Lucario has the worst design of any pokemon. Could have easily been neat, but I just find its contours and patterns clunky, awkward and unpleasant while looking to much like a Sonic/DBZ OC of some sort.

-I wish Gen 6 wasn't introducing yet another fox. We have twice as many foxes as we need while thousands of more exotic and interesting animals are still without pokemon.

-I thought light-type was the lamest of all fan ideas and I'm so glad they made "fairy" instead.

-My favorite thing about fairy is that it will be weak to poison, meaning all my favorite pokemon will be able to OHKO some of my least favorite.

-I've always resented how biased people are towards bottle-nosed dolphins over other aquatic life, so I never want one in pokemon unless they do something twisted and unexpected with it, like an ugly dark-type.

-I feel the same way about wolves, too. Why do people want one so freakin' bad? We have dozens of dog pokemon. That's literally, biologically the same thing.

-I too adore tentacool, zubat, rattata, bidoof and other common pokemon. They always have fun or just plain adorable designs. I think it's really stupid of people to hate a pokemon simply because it's common and not for its other individual merits.

-Of all the woman-shaped pokemon, Jynx is by far the coolest, most interesting and most creative. The others are just bad fan-art fodder. Too many people only like Gardevoir for sad, lonely, creepy reasons.

-Vailluxe is an innately fun concept. Pokemon is good. Ice cream is good. Something is terribly awry with your inner child if you don't find a deadly flying ice-cream shaped monster at least slightly amusing. Maybe you have no soul.

I dislike people who like a certain Pokemon only cause they are "unpopular" by fandom standards which they feel somehow makes them "against the norm and cool"

Most of my favorite pokemon seem to be among the most hated by the fandom, but that isn't even remotely what I like about them. I wish they were popular. I'm happy when everyone else gets what I like about something.

The people you describe present a problem for me, because I'll think someone has similar tastes when they're actually just being "ironic."

"HAHA YEAH! THAT'S MY FAVORITE TOO! BEST POKEMON EVER RIGHT!?!? WINK WINK LOL"

Bogleech said:
-I think Garbodor is the coolest concept and most endearing design in the series. I had been wanting a garbage creature like it since the first generation. It is litterally my dream pokemon.
y u no make pun
-I think Lucario has the worst design and most pandering concept in the game.
This + Zoroark.
Maybe you have no soul.
Woah.

I'm missing where a pun should go. My pungoggles might have broken :(

I actually don't mind Zoroark nearly as much as Lucario. An anthro fox still isn't my thing, but at least Zoroark has a really fluid and organic design compared to Lucario. Yes, I like a lot of inorganic-looking pokemon, but the components of Lucario just don't "mesh" for me. If Zoroark came first, I'd be even more okay with it. It's just that they keep throwing all these foxes at us.

I kinda wish Fennekin had been a chihuahua instead, if the sixth gen fire starter had to be another canine. A fire chihuahua would be hilarious.

Blob55 said:
It's just speculation.
But you're still making me confused. You think it's weird that there are no Fairy Gym Leaders in the PWT, but Fairy types didn't exist in gen 5. You claim there are "3 mysterious Dark-type Gym Leaders in PWT and some more unknown ones from an unconfirmed region. They could of made those GLs for 6th gen(I thought they would be triplets), but it doesn't look likely, because of a possible Fairy type GL." like it's fact, but I've never heard anything close to this before. Where are you getting this from?

I am blissfully aware of how dodgy the Pokémon art direction is xD!! I like it like that.

Prima/Lorelei, Skyla, Jessie, May <--- (jailbait, bleh....), a few of the "Mewoth fantasies" about Giovanni Jynx (well I like it, to an extent). The old man peeping at Celadon Gym.

Pokémon themselves: Lopunny, Machoke, Gardevoir, Jynx, Gothita line, (kinda, I like it ^.==.^),

guys too: Chuck, Wake, Juan, Wallace <---- (elegant guys).

Wohohohoho, those crazy Pokémon guys....

Honestly, its pretty funny when they do stuff like that, too.

the trio monkeys.

When Pansage was first leaked in a photo as a toy, I thought it was one of the cutest Broccoli monkeys I had ever seen. Then they came out with the other two and took all the special feelings I had for him. I feel like it makes him less original and the whole trio monkey's with the trio gym leaders reverts me to think of a commonly asked question: The chicken or the egg - The monkeys or the gym leaders. Which ones came first? It's not the fact that one was made for the other and apparently a gimmick that I despise. It's their design...

I don't like Pansear or Panpour's designs.
I don't like any of their evolutions designs either (including Simisage).

Wanna talk about unoriginal? I mean once you've designed one, you basically had the others. "Take this monkey and make him water type" and then from there on...

On a side note, don't you guys think Simisear looks very feminine? Like he just strikes me as a gay man.

Gay men aren't generally more "feminine," and who cares whether a cartoon monster looks masculine or feminine anyway? You're going by human standards, and they aren't humans. Gardevoir can be male or female, you know, and there's no reason it should be entirely female.

Bogleech said:
Gay men aren't generally more "feminine," and who cares whether a cartoon monster looks masculine or feminine anyway? You're going by human standards, and they aren't humans. Gardevoir can be male or female, you know, and there's no reason it should be entirely female.

I hope you're not trying to preach at me, because I am a gay man so...

Also, read that with as much sass as you can, because it was intended.

Let me add to this to make it more relevant. I get what you're saying, but it seems like you're just saying what you think is morally right to say in a situation like this. Jynx is obviously a woman or based off of one, so "human standards" can kind of apply when in fact GF made Jynx in the image of a woman; a black woman at that. Pokemon were created by humans so some of them do reflect human standards. Jynx cannot be a male, but I think Jynx could make a beautiful drag queen. Holla. Gardevoir could also be a male, but as GF did later release a more "masculine" evolution (It has one gender). For the most part Pokemon are gender equal as far as looks go, like animals. But the fact still stands that I think Simisear looks like a feminine man and that is my unpopular opinion.

Teal said:
I genuinely like Klink (& evos) and Garbodor (& Trubbish) and Vanillite (the evos are ok but I really like Vanillite).

I hate Mewtwo.

I think the current TCG metagame is not that bad. (But stages 2 attacker cards need a buff.)

and it looks like you'll be forced to have it in year team
wat :B

I love the Klink, Trubbish, Stunfisk, and Vanillite lines.

However, I love Mewtwo.

IMO Team Preview helped the metagame a lot more than hurt it.

Also in a list of things that destroyed Competitive VG, U-turn/Volt Switch/The new move are very high on that list.

DNA said:
Thief said:
On a side note, don't you guys think Simisear looks very feminine? Like he just strikes me as a gay man.

Yes.

Can't unsee this... now my mental picture of simisear is irrevocably changed, I think I'm actually beginning to like him now :D and I used to dislike that monkey trio a lot.

DNA said:
Nightingirle said:
Can't unsee this... now my mental picture of simisear is irrevocably changed
You're welcome. <3

I don't know where my "like" button ran off too. But amen. Also, your response with a simple "yes" was perfect.

You've used up your 'likes' for the day.~ES

Back