Shaymin-EX, Swampert-EX, Winona, and More from 'Emerald Break!' [2/13]

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
*O*
At least one M Ray had to be a OHKO machine ^.^
The Stadium makes the other M Ray look better, since you can place bench sitters and other M Rays to set up. It's a Stadium though, so I'm not sure of how much this will help...
Winona is SO good...COULD become a staple but I'm not really sure.
Delta Wind could be good depending on the upcoming realeases, but as of now it's meh, I'd rather give it Delta Evolution.
As for Mega Turbo, well...I guess it's Dark Patch for every Energy for Megas.

Really looking forward to this set :D

Cobalt Phoenix

Best Kappa
A slightly weakened, but still powerful as all heck, Uxie, a quad-resistant Mega, an Ancient Trait with gives some Pokemon Overflow, a Dark Cloak for Megas, and a stadium which will make cramped tournament table space feel even more cramped.

What's there NOT to like so far? Bloody Hell.

EDIT: Fixed with updated translation.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Corrected Shaymin-EX's Ability (it lets you draw up to 6 cards). The card's image is very blurry, so it was hard to tell. Sorry. :p

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
I love where the metagame is going: SO many choices, and I mean playable choices, are coming to light. Is like being in the DPPt Era, with a lot of playable decks.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
-Shaymin-EX is Colorless. Again, Pokemon Company, it's a stupid design choice! It doesn't add anything to the card aside from a white border! The fact that it's colorless isn't the only thing that makes this card annoying, though. It's going to be another expensive setup card that everyone is going to throw tons of money at. Why couldn't they just reprint Uxie LA and be done with it?!?

-Unfezant is, sadly, not that good. Relying on a coin flip just so your attack can WORK is bad, even when the payoff is 200 for 3 Colorless on a Stage 2 that can evolve in a single turn. It might see play if Tranquil turns out to be at least decent(so you can copy the pre-evo's attack), but it's otherwise disappointing.

-Swellow is cool like Lugia, but the problem it faces is that it has horrible attacks! You could try and pair it with a support Pokemon that adds damage without KO-ing like Crobat or Doublade, but I feel like Lugia-EX is still a better option.

-Colorless Skarmory?!? Listen to me, PTCG, it isn't cool. It's stupid. The card itself is decent, but I wish it was actually a Metal Type so you could use it as a Type Advantage attacker! See why Colorless overdose is a bad thing, guys?!?

-It's nice to see that Xatu and Pelipper are in the next set, and it's even nicer that they are, oh wow, ACTUALLY THE TYPE THEY SHOULD BE. (Do I even need to say it?)

-Winona is interesting, but Korrina it isn't. The reason Korrina works is because it searches for Pokemon AND Items, allowing it to be more flexible. You could use her to draw a bicycle, allowing you to get at least a tiny bit of draw support in addition to searching for a Machamp. Here, though, it just doesn't work.

-SKYFIELD/NINETALES = EVERY HOUSE RULE GAME EVER PLAYED holy moly I love this card! Just the fact that you can make a game go from 5 Benchers to 8 is going to be a very strange spectacle, and it's going to make Empoleon and Raichu much stronger! It should also help spread decks, and a certain Rayquaza...

-I really like how D Wild is true to the actual games. Whether that makes Rayquaza playable or not just depends on the attack. While 300 is strong, the large number makes me think that it might include a hefty drawback, like a bad Energy cost.

-Oh, my. Swampert EX has some strangely odd artwork because of his positioning. The card itself is like every Promo EX: just so close to being playable. It's cool and unique, and I assume that it will be in a Promo box down the line. (maybe with Blaziken EX, since we now know the last EX is Shaymin EX)

-Mega Turbo is crazy good. It's going to break Primal Groudon through the roof!

-

Pikachu6319

Scooby
OMG! We get a colorless Shaymin sky forme. I would never in a million years have seen that one coming. I'm almost kind of surprised that isn't weak to water...the game version of ice. It would make more sense since it's weaker to ice than electricity because of it's grass typing and to add a bit more variety. And a colorless Skarmory is a pretty neat victory too. Yay for more alternate type Pokemon and it would totally make my year to see a bunch of previously undone colorless flyers...okay that's a bit of an exaggeration but it would still be really cool.

I know from a competitive standpoint something like that almost comes off as ridiculous but there is more to consider. This is Pokemon the trading card game and part of that goes into collecting. Sometimes these new ones are bettter to trade and collect then yet another of the same type.

Well I guess that means Blaziken EX will be released in a different way then the main set. Of course, between that and this new Swampert EX, I have a theory...tins for the Hoenn starter evolutions in the same vein as the Kalos starter evolutions we got last year. If/when we see a Sceptile EX that would basically confirm that.

I figured we'd see at least one other new ancient trait. And there it is on the Swellow. I just hope we get this trait on something a little more powerful. And the one from M. Rayquaza EX is pretty neat too.

And Skyfield...wow, that is so neat. I almost regret it's an easy to kill stadium.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
/me is hyped to death xD

I've been wanting a Skyfield since ages :O
And Shaymin is going to rocket in price... that 20 boost is probably going to help a lot... and Computer Search for free... wow... You can get 3 free cards turn one with Winona, as well...

And those bird arts :O

Pipotchi

Aspiring Trainer
Christ. That Shaymin EX is absurd! Its like Jirachi on steroids, with more hp, a better effect, colorless, and a fantastic attack which makes it replayable multiple times, whilst also conserving the DCE/energy you attach to it.

Skyfield seems like an absurd combo with PC Ninetales which locks stadiums (and you can get SEVERAL of these into play) and that Mega Ray (which also has spirit link and can be powered up turn one with its trait and the OP mess called mega turbo) which deals damage for each benched pokemon. 8 x 30 is 240, which is a knockout on everything. all you gotta do is fill your deck with fan club and ultra ball and some item draw, and mega ray is going to be knocking out that mega aggron turn 2 T_T

This set is wild already. I cant wait to see more.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
GadgetJax said:
-Winona is interesting, but Korrina it isn't. The reason Korrina works is because it searches for Pokemon AND Items, allowing it to be more flexible. You could use her to draw a bicycle, allowing you to get at least a tiny bit of draw support in addition to searching for a Machamp. Here, though, it just doesn't work.
Combined with Shaymin, you can technically get 3 free cards turn 1... And being able to search for any colourless pokemon is huge. You can nearly definitely get turn 1 M-Rayquaza now, and there is even the small likelihood of a power up turn 1 with DCE and Mega Turbo combos...

Pipotchi said:
all you gotta do is fill your deck with fan club and ultra ball and some item draw, and mega ray is going to be knocking out that mega aggron turn 2
Winona, not Fan Club. Winona.

Pipotchi

Aspiring Trainer
bbninjas said:
GadgetJax said:
Combined with Shaymin, you can technically get 3 free cards turn 1... And being able to search for any colourless pokemon is huge. You can nearly definitely get turn 1 M-Rayquaza now, and there is even the small likelihood of a power up turn 1 with DCE and Mega Turbo combos...

Pipotchi said:
all you gotta do is fill your deck with fan club and ultra ball and some item draw, and mega ray is going to be knocking out that mega aggron turn 2
Winona, not Fan Club. Winona.

If I was running a deck where the main attackers uses colorless energy and the secondary pokemon is fire type and i have potential to fill 8 bench slots with various pokemon i wanna use all sorts of colorless energy users on the bench- mewtwo exs, zekroms, as well as mr mimes, so I'd use Fan Club probs (winona would be op at getting mega ray into play tho, would prob mix the two)

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
thegrovylekid said:
WPM, what Translation is correct? You've shown 2.

Somehow Wordpress reverted my previous revision when I added M Latios-EX earlier. -_- I wonder how long I had the incorrect one up. Anyway it's right now.

Blui

lv85 paladin
bbninjas said:
Oo-ookay. Less OP. Maybe it won't be used so much.

No. It's much better now. The deal with Mega-Ray Ramano is that it needs a lot of cards to work (around 15) but a card like Winona speeds up with process considerably. Now Winona can also fetch Shaymin, effectively become three steroid induced Bicycles. And given that every card in the combo can be dropped out of no where it makes Shaymin a whole lot more problematic because of the ease it gives Rayquaza for hitting 180 turn one.

I'd give a hypothetical situation, but there's too many cards to all write out. But here's a list of cards that can be dropped pretty much for free that feed Rayquaza's attack.

Ultra Ball
Shaymin
Rayquaza
Winona
Mega Turbo
DCE
Any [C] Basics
Item Based Draw
Syfield Gym

Pipotchi

Aspiring Trainer
RIP Mega JIrachi, you left us too soon T_T

Either way that gives me ideas for an evil deck :D.. shaymin is a basic that can spend the entire game untouchable. and then it also gives you a lot of draw support, allowing you to cycle through a deck of lasers, hammers, and robo subs. throw in some leafeon to mess up seismitoad easily and you have perhaps one of the most annoying decks in the format, where your entire field is robo subs for all of your opponents turns by the time they are ready to start attacking.

Auride

Periodic Visitor
GadgetJax said:
-Shaymin-EX is Colorless. Again, Pokemon Company, it's a stupid design choice! It doesn't add anything to the card aside from a white border!

[...].

-Colorless Skarmory?!? Listen to me, PTCG, it isn't cool. It's stupid. The card itself is decent, but I wish it was actually a Metal Type so you could use it as a Type Advantage attacker! See why Colorless overdose is a bad thing, guys?!?

-It's nice to see that Xatu and Pelipper are in the next set, and it's even nicer that they are, oh wow, ACTUALLY THE TYPE THEY SHOULD BE. (Do I even need to say it?)

I actually really like the idea of giving a few flying type Pokemon a colorless typing for once. It's a cool mixup to the usual way things go, and it fits perfectly with the set's title and origin (Mega Rayquaza's Delta Stream ability).

In any case, I'm again pretty excited for this set. Shaymin-EX looks to be one of the best support Pokemon / consistency cards we've had in a very long time, which will definitely help to alleviate a bit of that critical luck factor most decks have to deal with in the way of drawing engines. Team Mates also served this same purpose, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get more cards in the future which improve general consistency.