Popular video games that make you go “meh”.

Delta said:
9Tailz said:
Mario and Sonic has annoying music and annoying gameplay.

As someone who believes that music contributes to the game as much as story and gameplay, I can safely say Sonic has some of the best music of the 16-bit era. Not counting the epic RPGs like FFVI and Chrono Trigger, Sonic has some of my favorite tracks in a video game. How can you dislike Chemical Plant, Mystic Cave, Ice Cap, Flying Battery, Lava Reef, Hidden Palace, Death Egg and the Death Egg Robot music of Sonic 2?
I don't understand how the gameplay is "annoying" in platforms either. You build momentum and jump. It's not like the controls do something that you don't want them to.

I agree with you on everything else though ;]
Based on tense, I think he meant the olympic game crossover crap. So yeah.
Also, whoever said brawl is dead to me.

No my list isn't about popular games that are overrated its a list of new games I shelved out the extra cash for and got really bored quickly. Maybe I'm getting old but a lot of games don't impress me anymore. DkcR controls were really bad and wasn't impressed by the Sfx and visuals or bosses. I don't hate any of the games I listed its more like I paid to get happy but wasted my time and got bored. Paper Mario Sticker Star was actually pretty fun at first but I didn't really like you weren't getting stronger every fight, you just needed better stickers and lost interest at world 3, a shame because I wanted to finish the sticker museum.

Also a note about how people feel about FPS... I actually felt the same way about not being able to see your character which is why I never really got into it but I gave a few a try and got hooked. Halo never did it for me I just can't get into it but multiplayer is super fun. I also really love Borderlands and that's the only shooter I could play again and again. ... Other than Black Ops zombies... Which reminds me Dead Island was a game I meh'd at first but forced myself to play again and I gotta say it's pretty impressive. Not that I should be complementing games since the thread is about disappointing games but hey just saying.

ShadowLugia said:
Salamencetrainer34 said:
For me... CoD, I mean the black ops zombies is AWESOME but the other parts are horrid.

...What? You like shooting things, but you don't like shooting other things?

Please tell me you're being sarcastic?

Mass Effect. I know I'm the only one, but I think it's just an overrated third-person shooter with an average story. I mean, Bioware could create much more original stories with really unique gameplay elements, then the only game which got hype is a game like this.

Unfortunately, the only thing which is "mass" here is the media. I know it's a really good game for those whose are interested in popular games, but those who want to play some intellectual/art games doesn't have so much choice at this generation, since everything is about being online and using online contents.

Sheodon said:
Mass Effect. I know I'm the only one, but I think it's just an overrated third-person shooter with an average story. I mean, Bioware could create much more original stories with really unique gameplay elements, then the only game which got hype is a game like this.

Unfortunately, the only thing which is "mass" here is the media. I know it's a really good game for those whose are interested in popular games, but those who want to play some intellectual/art games doesn't have so much choice at this generation, since everything is about being online and using online contents.

I have to stop looking at this thread before I go absolutely berserk.

Delta said:

Play only one of these: Journey, Heavy Rain, Lost Odyssey, Flower, Shadow of the Colossus, The Neverhood, Okami, or any Shin Megami Tensei games (especially Persona 3). Play one of these games and you'll change your mind about which game is good. (Of course the list is not completed, it's just a few of the best games which are a bit more than usual games. They are artworks.)

Of course, most FPS games are bad in this generation (look at how they don't improve or work on anything new for years) , but which is really "meh", is the Mass Effect series.

Sheodon said:
Delta said:

Play only one of these: Journey, Heavy Rain, Lost Odyssey, Flower, Shadow of the Colossus, The Neverhood, Okami, or any Shin Megami Tensei games (especially Persona 3). Play one of these games and you'll change your mind about which game is good. (Of course the list is not completed, it's just a few of the best games which are a bit more than usual games. They are artworks.)

Of course, most FPS games are bad in this generation (look at how they don't improve or work on anything new for years) , but which is really "meh", is the Mass Effect series.

Shin Megami Tensei is my favorite RPG series. SMT 2, Strange Journey, Nocturne and Devil Survivor being my absolute favorite. I hate the Persona spin-offs. Awful piles of garbage that have swayed Atlus from concentrating on the main series because of it's popularity in the US.
Heavy Rain is decent, it is hardly an art game and a game based around the awful concept of QTEs. It's carried only by the story and interesting narrative.
Shadow of the Colossus is indeed a fantastic game and one of the best on PS2.
Okami I never really got the hang of, but a good game nonetheless.
Journey is brilliant.
Flower is a wind simulator.
Haven't heard of The Neverhood.

Mass Effect 1 is the closest game to art that you will get this generation. There aren't many, I'll admit, but Mass Effect is certainly one of them. It brings up so many questions and moral dilemma's that allows for almost every playthrough to be different. Shepard isn't just another space marine like Master Chief or Marcus Fenix, he's you. You are the main character and you have the power to make all these choices. That makes constant implications on future decisions and games. The Mass Effect series also has amazing music that I don't even need to compliment. Such as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuXOr1CcZsk

If Mass Effect isn't art then I don't know what is.

Delta said:
Shin Megami Tensei is my favorite RPG series. SMT 2, Strange Journey, Nocturne and Devil Survivor being my absolute favorite. I hate the Persona spin-offs. Awful piles of garbage that have swayed Atlus from concentrating on the main series because of it's popularity in the US.
Heavy Rain is decent, it is hardly an art game and a game based around the awful concept of QTEs. It's carried only by the story and interesting narrative.
Shadow of the Colossus is indeed a fantastic game and one of the best on PS2.
Okami I never really got the hang of, but a good game nonetheless.
Journey is brilliant.
Flower is a wind simulator.
Haven't heard of The Neverhood.

Mass Effect 1 is the closest game to art that you will get this generation. There aren't many, I'll admit, but Mass Effect is certainly one of them. It brings up so many questions and moral dilemma's that allows for almost every playthrough to be different. Shepard isn't just another space marine like Master Chief or Marcus Fenix, he's you. You are the main character and you have the power to make all these choices. That makes constant implications on future decisions and games. The Mass Effect series also has amazing music that I don't even need to compliment. Such as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuXOr1CcZsk

If Mass Effect isn't art then I don't know what is.

I really enjoyed both original Shin Megami Tensei pieces, just like the Persona series (well, I didn't play with the 4, but played with 1-3), and they are really enjoyable even thought they had a really different atmospheres. Heavy Rain is an art game, not because of its interactivity, but because of the emotion and the storytelling you can see. It's an interactive drama, which is also something new in concept. But because of it it wouldn't be an art game. A game is an art game because it has a huge effect on you.

Flower is also another interactive game, even though it's not as effective as the other games I mentioned, it's still enjoyable. Not really an art game, I agree, but one of the most relaxing games I've ever played. And it's also an affection.

I suggest you to try Okami out. Even in the graphics, you can see that it's something unusual, because it's also represent the style of the game. It's storyline is really decent, and also really effective.

The Neverhood is an older game for PSX (and also for PC) and it contains plasticine figures and was made by stop-motion, and from that you can see that we had more art games in the past. Even thought we still have some (Limbo and Datura are also not bad, but not the best, like Flower), they cannot be compared to the details created in older games like Fallout 1 and 2, Grim Fandango, Jade Cocoon, and so on. The difference that currently current developers create everything to become as advanced as possible: realistic graphics, online gameplay, and so on. We still have Indie Developers, but in the past even "bigger" developer teams and publishers created works which can be considered as art, as they create a universe which can be detailed and has its own unique atmosphere, what you explore gladly.

Nowadays, only the japanese video game creators are who sometimes try to create something unique and innovative. For example, I think "Ni No Kuni" won't being sold well at the cashes but will be a really unique game with its own atmosphere and the world of the classical anime movies, as it is made by Level 5 and Studio Ghibli. Of course, some of them (like Square Enix), unfortunately, follow the western trend and they don't risk at all and sell the same s***t since people buy it. They main series are all cliché, but their other games, like Lost Odyssey, are really underrated, but interestingly, were done much better.

For answering your question: For me, Journey is the best art game in the current generation, the next one is LittleBigPlanet. As you can see, most of the other titles, even if they have "HD version", had been made in a previous generation, like Shadow of the Colossus or Okami.

Well, to be honest, that conversation went better than I expected.

EDIT: if I need to choose a game from a previous generation, then it's Shenmue.

ShadowLugia said:
Princess Skarmory said:
Please tell me you're being sarcastic?

I'm not even sure anymore, this thread has quite possibly driven me insane

I'm out of likes for the day but I would like this post

Lol man just realized this thread is for popular games. D'oh! Hmm... Recent one I can think of is the Playstaion all stars battle royale. Perhaps it's because I dont know many of the characters but it just didn't feel right to me. I got bored pretty quickly and it's almost the same as smash bros but the feel of it very different... Can't describe it. Worth of try if you're a big Sony gamer.

I used to despise Halo mostly for the people I knew who played it, but please Halo, deliver us from the craze of Call of Duty: Modern Black War Ops 4 - The Vengeance.

And any game that features zombies -the cowboys and Indians of our day.

Truefully, I bought Black Ops 2.. Beat the campaign, almost got to lvl 80, sold it back to Amazon... It's the game that really makes me sick, they ruined the entire CoD series ;-;

All Call of Duty games. I don't see what people like about CoD. I don't agree with a realistic shooter (which is why I prefer Halo).

I agree with Lucky on skylanders. I got both games and 20 figures and barely touch it anymore

I know I'll get bashed for this, but I didn't like CoD Black Ops. MWs were good, and the ones with WW2 were great (yeah I like the history of WW2). But Black Ops seemed to me just... meh.

Oh man where do I begin?

CoD
Minecraft
WoW
Final Fantasy 7
Any GTA other than San Andreas
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Ocarina of Time (MM was better. Not even trolling)
Skyrim
God of War
LoL
Mortal Kombat

Not even trying to be a hipster.

Back