Popular video games that make you go “meh”.

ShadowLugia said:
hammer time! said:
lol why would you spend 100 dollars on little monster toys lolz?

lol why would you spend 40 dollars on little pocket monsters lolz?

And I understand why some people would shy away from games with a good amount of violence, but some manage to balance those elements with good gameplay and a great story (see: Mass Effect).

I just have issues with violent games. They tend to go too overboard for my tastes, and it saddens me to no end that such games exist.

Luckyfire said:
I've never really liked Skylanders. I wasted about $100 on that thing. After I finished it, I got bored and abandoned the game and its figures. Note to self: don't be tempted to buy any games that need extra money to complete it. -.-

Mm, you should check out the 3DS game. I hear it's pretty good, and better as a singleplayer experience.

The Yoshi said:
sillykyle said:
Super Mario Frustration. I still have yet to beat world 1-1.

The above, and really any game that is hyped anywhere (eg. TV, magazines, etc.) and turns out to be a waste of my time. For example, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic (Winter) Games were the biggest time wasters. Good thing I got them as gifts, otherwise I wouldn't have considered getting them.

Yeah, virtually anything pushed heavily is going for the TV-watching casual market. "Hardcore" stuff gets on late-night or cable TV, and that pretty much leaves Nintendo games, which are heavily pushed on CW4Kids. Professor Layton crosses over the Lifetime from time to time, but your standard primetime TV stuff is going to be Mario and Sonic. The only exception may be a new 2D Mario.

Incinermyn said:
I've basically written off all games that aren't for Nintendo's systems, especially anything for X-Box or Kinect. From my experience, non-Nintendo games are all just flashy and not much fun at all. Kinect games are especially bad because they're mostly ripoffs or reversionings of ones like Wii Sports.

The indies on PC do cool stuff if they're not trying to be an "art game". Nintendo systems + PC works well for me.

As for the topic... There isn't much. I can't get into much strategy, but that's because I don't try. It doesn't make me go "meh". Something off the top of my head, though, is Kingdom Hearts 3D. Maybe it was the only the eShop demo, but the flowmotion stuff didn't click with me.

Sports games, most shooters (I do like Metroid and Half Life, and I'm interested in playing Bioshock, but that's about it), quite a few RPGs (Pokemon is pretty much the only one I like, oddly). Also racing games that are basically "use items to win" (Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 7, Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing).

bacon said:
Probably gonna get some flak for this one!

Skyward Sword

Skyward Sword was disgustingly bad in every single way. It was like a massive slap to the face to everyone who wasn't a diehard fanboy of Nintendo. (Which I was up until Galaxy 2, Other M and B/W.)

In general though, I have never seen the appeal of racing games. The only good racing games are party racers like Mario Kart or Diddy Kong.

Clay said:
Luckyfire said:
I've never really liked Skylanders. I wasted about $100 on that thing. After I finished it, I got bored and abandoned the game and its figures. Note to self: don't be tempted to buy any games that need extra money to complete it. -.-

Mm, you should check out the 3DS game. I hear it's pretty good, and better as a singleplayer experience.

I already had it, but my interest in Skylanders vanished. Good suggestion, though; I'll be sure to try it out sometimes.

Every Zelda game not named Link's Awakening, Pokemon Rumble Blast, Pokemon RBY GSC and HGSS, the Fable series, and every Call of Duty game that wasn't Modern Warfare 1 are the ones that immediately come to mind. I know there are more out there, but those are just the ones I've seen and/or had some sort of experience with.

DNA said:
and every Call of Duty game that wasn't Modern Warfare 1

DNA plays call of duty?

tumblr_m7q8ul4DsV1rpwaqo.gif

I don't play Call of Duty. My brother (who has an X360) does.

For me it has to be Call of Duty for the reasons everyone else has stated.

DNA said:
Every Zelda game not named Link's Awakening,

tumblr_lt6w3oiEGA1r4ghkoo1_400.gif

I agree with DNA, HGSS is way overhyped. lol Can't say I think RBY is "meh" though. Yellow was my first Pokemon game, I owe some debt of gratitude to it.

It's kind of ignorant to shut off an entire universe of games just because they aren't made by Nintendo. No offense, Incinermyn.

Yellow was my first Pokemon game, I owe some debt of gratitude to it.
Gold and Yellow were my first two. I now dislike both. Yes, it's how I started out, but that doesn't mean I have to still like them now. I do like HGSS a lot just because of the aesthetics and the beauty of its overworld, but that's about it.
What happened? Simple. I, sadly, grew old and distant.

@TDL: okay and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe A Link to the Past. All the others can leave me alone.

I liked HGSS and a lot of the cool features they had (let's bring back that easy access touch screen pls), but after I got done with the Gyms, I truly felt bored for the first time in a Pokemon game. Maybe it's because I knew where most of the secrets were already, haha.

Incinermyn said:
I've basically written off all games that aren't for Nintendo's systems, especially anything for X-Box or Kinect. From my experience, non-Nintendo games are all just flashy and not much fun at all. Kinect games are especially bad because they're mostly ripoffs or reversionings of ones like Wii Sports.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Sony, especially if you're a platforming fan. They've got quite a few good ones: Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and Little Big Planet for starters. Microsoft, on the other hand, kind of does rely more on flashy video games with little substance. It seems like they only care about shooters, sports, and racing, and just toss in a few casual Kinect games for good measure. I have yet to see them make one good platformer or anything that would interest me.

Spammy said:
I agree with DNA, HGSS is way overhyped. lol Can't say I think RBY is "meh" though. Yellow was my first Pokemon game, I owe some debt of gratitude to it.

It's kind of ignorant to shut off an entire universe of games just because they aren't made by Nintendo. No offense, Incinermyn.

I forgot to mention, there aren't a lot of games that actually appeal to me off Nintendo's platforms. Furthermore, I'm not into a lot of series other than Pokemon, Zelda, some of the earlier Final Fantasy games, and a few miscellaneous titles. Also, I don't have a big budget for buying games to begin with, and I absolutely despise renting or borrowing them.

Incinermyn said:
Spammy said:

I forgot to mention, there aren't a lot of games that actually appeal to me off Nintendo's platforms. Furthermore, I'm not into a lot of series other than Pokemon, Zelda, some of the earlier Final Fantasy games, and a few miscellaneous titles. Also, I don't have a big budget for buying games to begin with, and I absolutely despise renting or borrowing them.

Wow, no offense, but you have a very narrow range of interests. It seems like you like JRPGs, so I would look at more games in that genre. Unfortunately, I don't know any, so I can't really help you there, but I bet someone else around here does.

For me... CoD, I mean the black ops zombies is AWESOME but the other parts are horrid.

Also, Final fantasy, I don't see whats good about for some reason. Maybe because I never played it?

Final Fantasy VII was one of my favorite games I played. It had a lot of storyline where you could actually learn about the characters. It also had a great materia system where you could combine various materia to do amazing effects.

Back