PokéBeach Create-A-Card: July 2014 - Legendary (Congrats to the winners!)

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: July 2014 - Legendary

Scorched Feathers said:
May I take a moment to say that's my new favorite blank.
It's glorious.

Thanks! I tried to not go overboard with the design. You can tell I was feeling rather nostalgic of the older sets :p

I neglected to mention that the Power scaling is for the current TCG format - think I should edit my post? (-2 ouch)

Huderon of Canossa said:
Scorched Feathers said:
May I take a moment to say that's my new favorite blank.
It's glorious.

Thanks! I tried to not go overboard with the design. You can tell I was feeling rather nostalgic of the older sets :p

I neglected to mention that the Power scaling is for the current TCG format - think I should edit my post? (-2 ouch)

You can always tell CMP, or just let him read this. :p

I figured as much, HoC! On custom blanks, I usually base power scaling on wording. And Luis is right -- you can always just post again or PM me for clarifications like that!

Noted for next time, thanks guys! I'll try to remember to clarify it for future contests though, one can never be too careful.

Okay currently it's 5:08 PM, I have stuff to do for an hour at 6 PM, and then I have to go to school at ~7 AM tomorrow, which gives me a grand total of about 12 hours to work on this. brb.

Alright so I finally finished my card and it has turned out sub-par. This was my first time ever creating a fake card and I'm horrible at this artsy stuff so I think I did alright.
Shayming3_zps465089d0.png
Yeah... I'm looking at all you fakers with new respect now. I recognize most (if not all) of the errors on the card however I just couldn't figure out how to fix them (especially because I used Powerpoint for most of it). I also had a really neat idea for the attack but couldn't fit it on the card so I'll probably save it for text based sometime. Credit for the blank and holosheet go to aschefield101. I hand drew the picture.

Camoclone said:
Alright so I finally finished my card and it has turned out sub-par. This was my first time ever creating a fake card and I'm horrible at this artsy stuff so I think I did alright.

Yeah... I'm looking at all you fakers with new respect now. I recognize most (if not all) of the errors on the card however I just couldn't figure out how to fix them (especially because I used Powerpoint for most of it). I also had a really neat idea for the attack but couldn't fit it on the card so I'll probably save it for text based sometime. Credit for the blank and holosheet go to aschefield101.

If I have any advice to give you, it's that I almost tore my hair out figuring it out the first time. Here's more or less what I learned:
  • DON'T use Powerpoint to do this. You're going to want to use Photoediting software like Photoshop (Photoshop Elements is fine; it's what I use) or GIMP (it's FREE and has most of the same features). Learning to use this software can take time. I was fortunate to already have a basic knowledge of how to use it
  • Getting the fonts and placement perfect is virtually impossible (especially when it varies on real cards), but you can get very pretty close with some tinkering. Ashcefield has a guide for which fonts to use for which blocks of text (as well as symbols and things) on his DeviantArt gallery. Finding the actual fonts themselves is annoying, but if you look through the resources sticky you can dig mostly all of them up.
  • Art is hard, and there's a million ways to do it. I tried to look at existing art, from regular promotional images to TCG art, and used those to sketch out what I had in my head. I personally like art-book approach of starting with ovals and lines, and just adding in detail, but everyone goes about it differently.

Good luck in the future.

Camoclone: I'm assuming you're the illustrator, but you still have to credit yourself or I won't be able to accept your entry.

Camoclone said:
Shaymin2_zps496a33b1.png
Yeah... I'm looking at all you fakers with new respect now. I recognize most (if not all) of the errors on the card however I just couldn't figure out how to fix them (especially because I used Powerpoint for most of it). I also had a really neat idea for the attack but couldn't fit it on the card so I'll probably save it for text based sometime. Credit for the blank and holosheet go to aschefield101.

Just one thing: Awesome trees!!! They look amazing! :D (?) XD Jokes aside, it's actually good, but I back Auride in saying that PowerPoint is NOT what you want. And yeah, you forgot the Illus. thingy, as CMP said.

Why search for fonts when you can get them all in one nice tiny zip folder provided by yours truly

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-the-fake-card-resources-and-help-thread?pid=2459167#pid2459167

ofc, some people like metagross101 use different named fonts, but they are the same, you will simply have to change them yourself to the properly named equivalent.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. :D

CMP said:
Camoclone: I'm assuming you're the illustrator, but you still have to credit yourself or I won't be able to accept your entry.
I edited my post and image accordingly. I actually did have the illustrator thing in my powerpoint however I didn't select it when saving >.<. Just another reason not to use powerpoint.

For future cards camo (and anyone else who hasn't noticed/doesnt go there) on DA is our resource group.

I would strongly suggest never resizing blank templates to be bigger than they originally are :)

My entry
2nj8zo6.jpg

EDIT-Forget the cac logo -facepalm- also fixed an attack(thanks gadgetjax)

My Entry:

[/size]
Basic Arceus EX HP180 [C]
Arceus_XY.gif

Ability Type Advantage
ArceusEX's type is the same type as the Defending Pokemon's weakness. If the Defending Pokemon has no weakness, Arceus EX's type is [C].
[C] Thousand Arms
Put 3 damage counters on each of your opponent's Pokemon.
[C][C][C] Creation Blast 90
weakness resistance
retreat [C][C]
Pokemon-EX rule
[size=xx-small]When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

In honor of The Challenge:

Basic // Giratina // HP130 [N]
giratina-origin.gif

NO. 487 Renegade Pokémon HT: 14'09'' WT: 1653.5lbs

[P] Wandering Spirits
Draw a card for each Supporter card in your discard pile. You can't draw more than 4 cards this way.

[G][C] Bellowing Uproar 60
Your opponent chooses 2 cards from your discard pile and puts them into your hand.

[G][P][P] Desolation 90+
This attack does 10 more damage times the number of cards in your hand. Then, discard your hand.

weakness [Y] X2
resistance
retreat [C][C][C]
It was banished for its violence. It silently gazed upon the old world from the Distortion World.​
(XY era)

So, I was having a hard time deciding whether or not I wanted to enter this month...but then I remembered there was a cute little legendary from Gen IV in need of a little love:

MespritEntry_zpseeb00d26.png

Mesprit appreciates your human emoticons.

It's a return to my borderless blank from May, but with a new, more Pokémon-esque configuration...wording should be roughly XY, for the most part.

Heatran BASIC 120 HP [R]
NO. 485. Lava Dome Pokémon. HT: 5'07" WT: 948.0 lbs.
[R][R] Heat is Running 30
This attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)
[R][R][R] Heat Will Run
Place a Heat marker on each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. When this Pokémon is Knocked Out, place one damage counter on your opponent's Pokémon for each Heat marker on it.
weakness [F] x2
resistance [P] -20
retreat cost [C][C][C]
"In physics, heating is transfer of energy, from a hotter body to a colder one, other than by work or transfer of matter. It occurs spontaneously whenever a suitable physical pathway exists between the bodies."
This is BW period; credits for the quote go to wikipedia.

Basic / Shaymin / HP60 [G]
shaymin-sky.gif

NO. 492 Gratitude Pokémon HT: 1'04 WT: 11.5 lbs.

[C] Air Slash 30
Discard an Energy card attached to the Defending Pokémon.

[G][C] Seed Flare 40+
This attack does 40 more damage for each Energy attached to Shaymin. Then, discard all Energy attached to Shaymin.

weakness/resistance
[R] x2 [F] -20
retreat

The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude.
BW era

Back