PokéBeach Create-A-Card: July 2014 - Legendary (Congrats to the winners!)

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: July 2014 - Legendary

CMP said:
Eh, there's nothing illegal about it but I use my tablet for most judging and it doesn't handle gifs well. It's been done before, too, and it doesn't leave the finished card very HQ.

I'd really prefer if you didn't.

challenge accepted

Okay so now I know what CMP is talking about. Turning stationary cards into gifs is like giving it cancer

Here's a side-by-side comparison (note: this is not my entry):

vXhGI80.png
NCN0CWY.gif

On the left, png. On the right, gif with Charizard added. You can see the low-quality colors, especially in the HP bar and evocon bg.

Don't do it, kids.

You sure you don't want to enter that PMJ?
I mean, the Pokedex entry alone is perfect.

Yeah, it's just really difficult to pull off without seriously messing up the card. Perhaps with smaller blanks it could work, but I've yet to see a card that benefitted from using a gif.

Keeper of Night said:

All of the pokedex entries that I put on my cards come from the pmjdex. Of course, without an IRC chat room, no one can bask in its glory, but at least with this I've found a use for it.

And yeah Charizard's dex entry would surely net me full marks in the believability category.

I guess I'm going to have to draw a Charizard at my first opportunity, then.

PMJ said:
Keeper of Night said:

All of the pokedex entries that I put on my cards come from the pmjdex. Of course, without an IRC chat room, no one can bask in its glory, but at least with this I've found a use for it.

And yeah Charizard's dex entry would surely net me full marks in the believability category.

Didn't even see the dex entry until now, haha. However, I would have trained a Charizard to have Solar Beam(to cover Water, ground, and rock types.), Sunny Day, Heat Wave, and Overheat.

Finished judging all entries posted so far. Another awesome month, so I can't wait to see what the rest of you have come up with!

GadgetJax said:
Didn't even see the dex entry until now, haha. However, I would have trained a Charizard to have Solar Beam(to cover Water, ground, and rock types.), Sunny Day, Heat Wave, and Overheat.
That's part of the joke haha

And I'm finishing University semester tomorrow, so I'll keep judging then! :D

Also, starting this round card makers are officially banned from this contest.

I had a heart attack, then I realized you were talking about software not people.

I'd like to sign up for image based.

Nod3 said:
Also, starting this round card makers are officially banned from this contest.

I had a heart attack, then I realized you were talking about software not people.

I'd like to sign up for image based.

Yay, now you're making a M-Delta-Shining-Dark-Lucario-ex-EX-* Prime LEGEND!!! :D
(wut...?)

And also, if card makers(as in people) were banned... then what's the point with the contest...? e.e

Luispipe8 said:
And also, if card makers were banned... then what's the point with the contest...? e.e

Couldn't agree with you more, Luispipe. Also, not to be mean or anything, but that Ludicolo entry last month was pretty lackluster, anyway. The ability was esentially "No Special Conditions", which has never been used before. As for the attack, NO ADDITIONAL EFFECT. None. I don't mean to insult, just everybody make sure you use original attacks and Abilities, okay?

GadgetJax said:
Luispipe8 said:
And also, if card makers were banned... then what's the point with the contest...? e.e

Couldn't agree with you more, Luispipe. Also, not to be mean or anything, but that Ludicolo entry last month was pretty lackluster, anyway. The ability was esentially "No Special Conditions", which has never been used before. As for the attack, NO ADDITIONAL EFFECT. None. I don't mean to insult, just everybody make sure you use original attacks and Abilities, okay?

Yeah, that card was actually pretty lame... u.u And I edited my last post because I forgot a key parenthesis in there... XD

Luispipe8 said:
GadgetJax said:

Yeah, that card was actually pretty lame... u.u And I edited my last post because I forgot a key parenthesis in there... XD

Despite the fact that his card was original, wasn't it only his first or second entry? As far as first entries go, they seem to be pretty hit or miss.

The only thing I would complain about is that he went the easy way and used that poke card site. If you do that, why can't you just put some effort in and make a text based card?

gadget, y u no remember that the Regis from ex holon phantoms have that same ability

Reggie McGigas said:
gadget, y u no remember that the Regis from ex holon phantoms have that same ability
Well,
tumblr_m4m10rqp6L1qjx9ozo1_500.gif

You know what would be cool for next month? Cards based off of other forms of media, like Simon Belmont-EX, Delta Species Spiderman, etc.

Luispipe8 said:
Yay, now you're making a M-Delta-Shining-Dark-Lucario-ex-EX-* Prime LEGEND!!! :D

It shall remain in our hearts forever

NDSybB1.png

k here it is

vX6edrk.png

The wording of the power is modeled after Metagross PLF, the most recent card with a once-per-turn restriction on its power (excluding Victini LT, which is a reprint of a past card so it doesn't count).

And to clarify, Keldeo would have to be your Active Pokemon if you want to use Riposte. I thought it would be obvious, but it doesn't hurt to clear things up beforehand.

Adjust your criticisms accordingly.

At first I was like "duhherr Darkrai," but then I was like... nah.

BASIC || Mew || HP60 || [P]

151.gif

NO. 151 New Species Pokémon HT: 1'04" WT: 8.8 lbs.

[Ability] Communion
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may Knock Out this Pokémon. If you do, heal damage equal to the amount of damage on your opponent's Active Pokémon from each of your Pokémon. You can't use more than 1 Communion Ability each turn.

[P][P] Nature's Rebuttal 40+
If the Defending Pokémon is a Mega Pokémon, this attack does 80 more damage.

Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]
Its DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokémon, so it can use all kinds of techniques.

Also, 10 bucks says I'm gonna lose a bunch of points for the Ability... I mean that was a hassle, and I still don't think it's correct.

I'll be honest, among the legendaries I have very few favourites. The one I chose rekindled my interest in Pokemon since generation III.

Let's cut to the chase, shall we?

Yveltal1_zps1398caeb.png

Illustration
Not much to say here, really. I'm still wrestling a rather severe case of artist's block, so I wasn't very adventurous with the style. Unless you call sloppy a style, anyhow. Funny that I spent so long fixing the lineart of the 'wing-fingers' but they are almost nowhere to be seen here xD. Nabbed the holosheet off of good ol' CMP - thank you! :D

Attacks & Effects Text
I like to base the attacks and effects around whatever 'personality' I assign that Pokemon. Last CoC for example, I assigned Cacturne the traits 'bandit' and 'plunderer' which is why it had effects that involved aiming for the bench, generally for the more valuable star rares, and making it difficult to escape once Cacturne or any of its kin are on the offensive.

For Yveltal I decided to make it a Pokemon that leeches the power off of others to preserve itself, as well as converting life energy into more destructive energy. Essentially, it is the 'Life-taker'. So the effects you see here reflect this theme.

Turns out I actually implemented a similar mechanic to Heavenly Spoon's entry. Looks like we both came up with the Pokemon=Energy idea (albeit independently - you'll have to take my word on that). :p

Perhaps the 50 damage to itself is a bit too much of a drawback - but I imagine this Pokemon abusing the high HP EX's and Megas in your hand to deal some nasty damage, so I guess its extreme at both ends of the scale...

The rest of the card
Made a custom blank specifically for this contest. I didn't have the right font for the current style dex info, so instead I incorporated the older style as a throwback to those classic sets in the WotC era. The flavour text being a quote here is inspired by MtG - I thought it'd be neat to do that sort of thing for Pokemon.

I'm still iffy with the energy symbols and that cut out bit of the illus frame underneath the type symbol to be honest...

Before I forget, the texture for the blank is a modified version of Nekoban Ryo's Classic Dark Texture

Back