PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #1! Winners: PMJ and aschefield101!

RE: PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #1!

If it's voting time, here's my votes. I hope Lunatone wins.

Flame Claw - Lunatone
PMJ - Keldeo
GoobieDoob - Jellicent

@Alvin: Do you mean spoiler tags? Just like image tages
Code:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

@Goob: The contest runs through tonight @ 11:59 PM EST, so there's still time to submit. In any case, it's not a community vote -- myself and Gliscor will be the judges.

Here's my entry:
Kyogre- HP 120 - [W]
Basic

Ability: Drizzle
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may search your deck for a stadium card and put it in your hand. If you do, put two damage counters on this Pokemon. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[W][W][C] Tsunami 60
Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 40 more damage. If tails, choose one of your opponent's pokemon. This attack does 20 damage to that pokemon.

Weakness: [L] x2 Resistance: n/a Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]

It is said to have widened the seas by causing downpours. It had been asleep in a marine trench.
last minute entries ftw!

I think that the compitition is over, but if not, good job.

Someone PM me what ftw means. I think I know what it means, but just in case.

I just told you that it's not over until tonight, Goob. :p

And for the record, FTW means "for the win."

Thought up on the spot text entries, just cos! (Also since I haven't had time to fake any cards recently, in between building LEGO spaceships and playing Uncharted 3.)

Kingler - HP 110 - [W]
Stage 1 - Evolves from Krabby

[C] Got Krabs? -
Search your deck for a Krabby and put it onto your bench. You can't use this attack if your bench is full.

[W] [C] Power of many - 40+
This attack does 30 more damage for each Krabby in play (both yours and your opponents)

Weakness [L] x2 Resistance [] Retreat [C] [C]

Kingler has one claw larger than the other, and can use it to crush all that stand before it. However, it can only move sideways, so those standing in front of it are generally safe.

Got Krabs?=Win
Lololololololololololololol

I'll probably get my entries in later tonight since I'm trying to fix the most notable errors on them. (I know, I work slow :p)

And another. Sadly, this is the most creative writing I've done in a while... alas for my fanfic.

Blastoise - HP 130 - [W]
Stage 2 - Evolves from Wortortle

[Ability] Cowabunga, dude!
Each of your Pokémon that have a [W] energy attached have no retreat cost.

[W] [C] [C] Turtle Power - 40x
Flip 4 coins. This attack does 40 damage for each heads.

Weakness [L] x2 Resistance [G] Retreat [C]

Although this hero in a halfshell is armed with two large water guns on its back, it is equally comfortable with Katanas, Nunchaku, Sai or Bo.

That Blastoise...<3

@CMP - There is no voting, correct? It's judged by you and Gliscor.

Correct, Xdogking!

Eh, Wynaut?

Milotic HP 130 [W]
Stage 1 - Evolves from Feebas

[Ability] Radiance
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may search your deck for a basic energy card and attach it to any pokemon on your bench. You can't use more than 1 Radiance ability each turn.

[W][W][C] Riptide 60
This attack does 40 damage to each Pokemon on either side of your opponent's bench.

[C][C] Serene Wish
Flip 2 coins. If both are heads, you make take a Prize card. If both are tails, your opponent may take a prize card. If one is heads and one is tails, each player may draw two cards.

Weakness: [L] x2 Resistance: [F] -30 Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]

Legend says that seeing a Milotic will bring fortune and luck. However, one with an evil soul will be cursed to a life of shame and emptiness.

Well after spending countless hours looking at Ex-era cards for reference and trying to use photoshop to the best of my ability I created these:
DarkEmpoleoncopy-1.png

I thought it would be pretty cool to have an Empoleon that belongs to TR so I decided to go ahead and create it.

RocketsGyaradosExcopy.png

Gyarados is one of the most BAMF Water-type Pokémon to ever exist so I thought that it was a MUST to create an EX form of him that belonged to TR. I sort of had to improvise with the blank seeing as how all the Team Rocket Returns EX Blanks are Dark-types, so I decided to use a normal Water-type EX blank and just try to make it look like it belonged to the TRR set.

I hope you all enjoy my fakes (this is my first time faking :p) and I wish the best of lucck to all the contestants!

Heh, you used exactly the same art for your Empoleon as I did for my Samurott. Cool stuff indeed.

Entries look great, guys! Give us a few days to judge everything -- it might take a little bit. :p

Alright, guys! Judging is almost over. For now, though, here are the results of the text-based competition! Huge thanks to Gliscor for helping with the judging!

Xdogking

Octillery 90 HP [W]
Stage 1 – Evolves from Remoraid

[Ability] Artillery Selection
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may choose a Basic Energy card attached to this Pokemon. This Pokemon is the same type as that Energy card until the end of your turn.

[W][C] Sniper
Choose 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. This attack does 40 damage to that Pokémon. Apply Weakness and Resistance for this attack.

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance: n/a
Retreat Cost: [C][C]

Pokedex Entry: When it hunts, it binds its prey with its tentacles. In case of a struggle it spews ink in the prey's face to blind them.

Creativity: 18/20
I loved using Driftblim FB when it was legal, and this seems like a more flexible version of it. While referencing an already-created attack, and I believe an already-created Ability (although I don't think it was called an Ability), you lost a few points, but Octillery is still very creative!

Wording: 14/15
You barely got the 15/15, but you forgot the "r" in "your" in Octillery's Ability.

Believability: 13/15
While it might seem really powerful in theory, it's not not overpowered. 80 damage snipe with a constant Energy discard isn't going to get anyone anywhere very soon, and 90 HP isn't helpful to Octillery either, making it believable and semiplayable.

Total: 45/50

Relicanth 80 HP [W]
Basic Pokemon

[C] Link to the Past
Search your discard pile for a Pokemon and put it into your hand.

[W][W][W] Relic Wave 50
During your opponent's next turn, your opponent cannot play any Item cards from his or her hand.

W: [G] x2
R: n/a
Retreat Cost: [C]

Pokedex Entry: A Pokemon that has lived deep under the sea for millions of years. Its rock hard scales protect it from all attacks and the high pressure.

Creativity: 10/20
Aside from preventing your opponent from being able to play Item cards, there's nothing unique about Relicanth.

Wording: 12/15
Several mistakes. First, in Link to the Past, the wording should be "... Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your hand." I didn't take anything off for the é, but the "reveal" it portion is necessary. Also, the wording for Relic Wave is "Your opponent can't play any Item cards from his or her hand during your opponent's next turn."

Believability: 13/15
What's really bothering me is Link to the Past, because that name seems more like a video game reference; something I doubt would be used. But overall, it's very believable!

Total: 35/50

shinygyarados

Slowbro HP 110 [W]
Evolves from Slowpoke

Ability: Relaxed Power
Whenever one of this Pokemon's attacks does damage to the defending Pokemon, you may have that attack do 30 less damage. If you do, remove 3 damage counters from 1 of your Pokemon.

[P] [C] Strange Stare 50
The Defending Pokemon cannot retreat during your Opponent's next turn. This Pokemon is now Confused.

[C] [C] [C] [C] Max Strength 130
This Pokemon does 50 damage to itself. Discard an Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C] [C] [C]

Slowbro are often found relaxing on sandy beaches. Though they are normally docile, they have been known to protect themselves fiercely.

Creativity: 17/20
Definitely a very creative card! An unseen Ability and interesting attacks help.

Wording: 11/15
Hm, this is where things aren't so good...
"Whenever 1 of this Pokemon's attacks does damage to the Defending Pokemon, you may have that attack do 30 less damage. If you do, remove 3 damage counters from 1 of your Pokemon."
"The Defending Pokemon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn. This Pokemon is now Confused."

Believability: 14/15
Alright, this is where things get complicated. By the way BW cards look, it doesn't seem like a Pokémon card can have 3+ text blocks (as in like two attacks and an Ability, for example). So far, every card that has been released as followed this, having only two or less attack blocks. However, since this is so far unconfirmed, I only deducted one point.

Total: 42/50

Kingler HP 80 [W]
Evolves from Krabby

[W] Crab Walk
This attack does 30 damage to one of your Opponent's Benched Pokemon. (Don't apply Weakness or Resistance for Benched Pokemon.) Switch Kingler with one of your Benched Pokemon.

[W] [W] [C] King's Hammer 50
This attack does 10 more damage for each of your Benched Pokemon.

Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C] [C]

Fights often break out between casts of Kingler and schools of Seaking. Each group claims the position of "King of the Sea."

Creativity: 13/20
This card has nothing that we haven't seen before, which is a bit of a bummer.

"This attack does 30 damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokemon. (Don't apply Weakness or Resistance for Benched Pokemon.) Switch Kingler with 1 of your Benched Pokemon."
"[W] [W] [C] King's Hammer 50+"
"Does 10 more damage for each of your Benched Pokemon.[/i]

Believability: 15/15
Nothing unbelievable about this card. Great job!

Total: 40/50

PMJ

Raynora - HP 130 - [W]
Stage 2 - Evolves from Flomis

Ability: Regal Rain
Whenever you attach a [W] Energy from your hand to any of your Pokémon, heal 10 damage and remove all Special Conditions from that Pokémon. You can't use more than 1 Regal Rain Ability each turn.

[W][W][C] - Aqua Kick - 100
Flip a coin. If heads, this Pokémon does 20 damage to itself.

WK: [L] x2 / RS: [M] - 20 / RC: [C]

They manipulate water gracefully, with deadly precision. Their humanlike appearance makes them very popular.

A very unique card with an uncommon Ability.

Wording: 14/15
"Whenever you attach a [W] Energy from your hand to 1 of your Pokémon..."

A very believable card. It's not game breaking, and is certainly a card that could have some use.

Total: 47/50

Articuno - HP120 - [W]
Basic

[W] Frost Wind
Put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Pokémon and heal 20 damage from this Pokémon.

[W][C][C] Ice Tornado
Does 40 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

WK: [M]+20 / RS: [F]-20 / RC: [C][C]

A legendary Pokemon. The very beating of its magnificent wings chills the air and causes snow to fall.

Creativity: 19/20
The first attack is the real kicker. It seems like a very unique attack, doing 60 and healing 20.

Wording: 15/15
I found no errors! Great job!

Just like Raynora, it's certainly a card that has stats that fit the card. It is a little bit underpowered, but that isn't really a big deal.

Total: 49/50

47bennyg

Magikarp - HP 50 - [W]
Basic

Poké-Power: I swear to God, when I evolve...
Once during your turn (before you attack) You may put Gyarados from your hand onto Magikarp (this counts as evolving Magikarp). When you do this, search your deck for a number of basic energy cards equal to the number of damage counters on Magikarp and attach them to Magikarp. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[W] Splash
Switch Magikarp with one of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: [L] +10 Resistance: n/a Retreat Cost: [C]

It is unable to swim against even slow-moving currents. It always splashes about for some reason.

A very unique Poké-Power!

"Once during your turn (before your attack) you may put Gyarados from your hand onto Magikarp (this counts as evolving Magikarp). If you do, search your deck for a number of Basic Energy cards equal to the number of damage counters on Magikarp and attach them to Magikarp. Shuffle your deck afterward."
"Switch Magikarp with 1 of your Benched Pokémon."

Believability: 10/15
The real kick in the teeth is the Power name, in which I doubt TPCi would print a card with some internet meme on it (and having "God" in a real card would also be controversial." Plus, a Magikarp that has more than 30 HP? What is this?

Total: 40/50

Gyarados - 110 HP - [W]
Stage 1

[W][C] Dragon's Roar 40

[W][W][W][C] Outrage 110
Gyarados does 20 damage to itself.

Weakness: [L]+30 Resistance: [F]-20 Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]

In ancient literature, there is a record of a Gyarados that razed a village when violence flared.

Creativity: 13/20
An effectless attack and a self-damaging attack aren't really anything we haven't seen before, especially from a Gyarados.

Wording: 15/15
Looks good here!

Can't see why this couldn't be a real card.

Total: 43/50

pokemonjoe

Kyogre- HP 120 - [W]
Basic

Ability: Drizzle
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may search your deck for a stadium card and put it in your hand. If you do, put two damage counters on this Pokemon. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[W][W][C] Tsunami 60
Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 40 more damage. If tails, choose one of your opponent's pokemon. This attack does 20 damage to that pokemon.

Weakness: [L] x2 Resistance: n/a Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]

It is said to have widened the seas by causing downpours. It had been asleep in a marine trench.

Pretty creative. I like cards which search for Stadiums.

Wording: 9/15
Some problems here. The Ability needs some work..."Once during your turn (before you attack)..." should read "Once during your turn (before your attack)..." Stadium should also be capitalized, and numbers should be used instead of being spelled out. In the attack, the word "one" should just be a "1." Pokémon should also be capitalized. Attack power should be "60+."

I don't see how this is out of the realm of possibility for a BW-era card. Good work.

YakobTheRed

Kingler - HP 110 - [W]
Stage 1 - Evolves from Krabby

[C] Got Krabs? -
Search your deck for a Krabby and put it onto your bench. You can't use this attack if your bench is full.

[W] [C] Power of many - 40+
This attack does 30 more damage for each Krabby in play (both yours and your opponents)

Weakness [L] x2 Resistance [] Retreat [C] [C]

Kingler has one claw larger than the other, and can use it to crush all that stand before it. However, it can only move sideways, so those standing in front of it are generally safe.

Love the first attack name. Though I could never see it on a real card (see Believability), doesn't change that fact that it's creative!

Wording: 13/15
Generally very good work here! However, wording of the first attack should be: "Search your deck for Krabby and put it onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward." as seen on Solosis BW 55.

Believability: 12/15
Now sure if "Got Krabs?" would ever be on an official card, no matter how classic it is! In addition, I'm not sure if I can picture a Kingler card with more than 100 HP. No points off for this, though.

Total: 43/50

Blastoise - HP 130 - [W]
Stage 2 - Evolves from Wortortle

[Ability] Cowabunga, dude!
Each of your Pokémon that have a [W] energy attached have no retreat cost.

[W] [C] [C] Turtle Power - 40x
Flip 4 coins. This attack does 40 damage for each heads.

Weakness [L] x2 Resistance [G] Retreat [C]

Although this hero in a halfshell is armed with two large water guns on its back, it is equally comfortable with Katanas, Nunchaku, Sai or Bo.

Creativity: 20/20
Again, Yakob, major points here. As someone who grew up with the original TMNT, I'm lovin' the references -- especially the Pokédex info!

The power should be wording similarly to this: "If you have any [W] Energy attached to your Active Pokemon, the Retreat Cost for that Pokemon is 0."

Believability: 10/15
What this card has in creativity, it lacks in believability. Referencing another franchise isn't something that would likely happen.

Chillarmy

Milotic HP 130 [W]
Stage 1 - Evolves from Feebas

[Ability] Radiance
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may search your deck for a basic energy card and attach it to any pokemon on your bench. You can't use more than 1 Radiance ability each turn.

[W][W][C] Riptide 60
This attack does 40 damage to each Pokemon on either side of your opponent's bench.

[C][C] Serene Wish
Flip 2 coins. If both are heads, you make take a Prize card. If both are tails, your opponent may take a prize card. If one is heads and one is tails, each player may draw two cards.

Weakness: [L] x2 Resistance: [F] -30 Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]

Legend says that seeing a Milotic will bring fortune and luck. However, one with an evil soul will be cursed to a life of shame and emptiness.

Creativity: 19/20
Nice Ability, and the second attack is risky -- could help or harm. Nice work.

Wording: 5/15
In the Ability, "...(before you attack)..." should read "...(before your attack)..." Energy, Pokémon, Bench, and Ability should always be capitalized. Not really sure what you're trying to say by "each side of your opponent's Bench" in the first attack (and again, Bench should be capitalized). In the second attack, I think you meant to say "may take" instead of "make take." Also, "one" should always be "1" (likewise with "two/2").

Believability: 12/15
I don't see anything in particular wrong with the card. However, it doesn't seem like a card can have 3+ text blocks (as in like two attacks and an Ability, for example). So far, every card that has been released as followed this, having only two or less attack blocks. However, since this is so far unconfirmed, I only deducted one point for that. The other 2 points came from the fact that I didn't really know what you were going for in the first attack.

Total: 36/50

Looks like the winner of the text-based competition is PMJ with his Articuno card. Awesome job bro -- congrats!

Stay tuned for the winner of the image-based competition. Again, may I apologize for the time this is taking...next week, I think I'll allow 1 of each per participant. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #1! Winner of the text-based competition announced -- congrats PMJ!

This still open?

RE: PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #1! Winner of the text-based competition announced -- congrats PMJ!

It ended a week ago nod lol

Heh, it's cool of you to go and comment on everyone's cards. Glad you liked mine too, but now that Blastoise is annoying me... I basically used the HS:UD wording from Dodrio's Retreat Aid Pokébody... living in the past lost me points... :( :p

Back