No Top Cut at Battle Roads?

You don't win to win. You win to get something when you win. Besides, it's not like this new rule just stopped you from winning. If you're a good player, you'll win even if there were no other additional changes.

I would much rather go to every event all year and get enough CP to go to Worlds. Along with how fun it would be, I would probably win quite a good amount already making it better than the other option.

There is more than they have revealed. I'm 100% certain. And since when was Swiss 100% luck? That's completely absurd. The better player will still win more than the worse player. And it's stupid to even be arguing about this. We can't argue about something that we are still in the dark about.

I'm not sure I like this decision. Gives the folks who go X-0 too much glory.

Top cuts are a way to give shlubs like me another chance.

Players: Top 4 isn't big enough for BRs. We shouldn't have 5-1 players missing top cut, considering the amount of luck in Bo1 swiss!
TPCi: Okay, let's remove Top Cut all together.

Nice one, guys.

Would someone mind explaining Swiss and Top Cut to a newbie (or should this be posted in the New Player's Plaza)?

From what I understand, Swiss is the initial set of matches between all players in the tournament. A certain amount of the top players from the Swiss round move on to the Top Cut, more games are played between the Top Cut players, and a winner is determined? Also, Top Cut games (or at least the final) is a best out of three match?

Thus, a player can lose a game or two in Swiss yet still make Top Cut and have a chance at winning?

Wow.

The only thing i can think of that would undo something like this is something like "1st and 2nd will be combined into Winners. 3rd and 4th will be combined into first runners-up, and so on depending on tournament size."

Wouldn't fix the thrill of top cut though.

Secret Pikachu said:
Would someone mind explaining Swiss and Top Cut to a newbie (or should this be posted in the New Player's Plaza)?

From what I understand, Swiss is the initial set of matches between all players in the tournament. A certain amount of the top players from the Swiss round move on to the Top Cut, more games are played between the Top Cut players, and a winner is determined? Also, Top Cut games (or at least the final) is a best out of three match?

Thus, a player can lose a game or two in Swiss yet still make Top Cut and have a chance at winning?
You're correct. All top cut games are best of 3.
blargh257 said:

Wow.

The only thing i can think of that would undo something like this is something like "1st and 2nd will be combined into Winners. 3rd and 4th will be combined into first runners-up, and so on depending on tournament size."

Wouldn't fix the thrill of top cut though.
This would make it significantly worse. It would increase the importance of Battle Roads, and of good resistance at Battle Roads. The only way to fix it is to make it so BRs only award one CP for 1st and have a best finish limit of 5-ish. That would help TPCi accomplish their goal of making BRs small, entry-level tournaments as well.

Celebi23 said:
This would make it significantly worse. It would increase the importance of Battle Roads, and of good resistance at Battle Roads. The only way to fix it is to make it so BRs only award one CP for 1st and have a best finish limit of 5-ish. That would help TPCi accomplish their goal of making BRs small, entry-level tournaments as well.

Well i thought about that for 30 seconds and the people on the panel probably have thought for longer. And my ideas are usually crazy so never mind.

The worst part about all this is no suspense leading up to the top cut annoucements. Used to be, "Oh I have good resistance so maybe i'll top with the X-0." Now the X-0 just wins.

I don't like it because you could hypothetically win by going
R1 Bye
R2 Nub who won against different nub r1
R3 scrub
R4 actual legit person

It would be really sad to win a tournament by having only one legit game. Top 4 made you actually play against good people for the win.

alexmf2 said:
I don't think a 3-0 would be a scrub.
I do.
A 3-0? Certainly possible, not beyond reasonable doubt.
A 4-0? Maybe, but doubtful.
A 5-0? Now you're being silly. No scrub here.

alexmf2 said:
I would much rather go to every event all year and get enough CP to go to Worlds.
Is there any proof that the CP rewards were actually changed for the better? or are you just speculating that they will be?

alexmf2 said:
And it's stupid to even be arguing about this. We can't argue about something that we are still in the dark about.
...because if you're just speculating, I ask that you stop.

Also, I'd like to point out that Celebi23's post summed up my feelings quite nicely.

Put those for a 1-0, a 2-0, and a 3-0 and I would agree with you. My idea of a scrub is someone who plays a deck based around types instead of a deck based around a Pokemon.

What does that have to do with it? I would much rather travel to all events with a chance of winning all of them than an 100% chance to win a small tournament. That was what you asked.

...What exactly am I speculating? That there is more to be revealed? Like I said, I'll bet money.

But come on, it's absurd to be arguing now. Obviously, if there aren't any more changes, this is bad, but if there are, this might be good. What are you even arguing for?

A 3-0 could be a scrub. If your whole area is bad people then yeah.

Anyway, it's like Pokemon is TRYING to make my life harder in this game lol.

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
That's the point of CP. That isn't necessarily the point of Battle Roads/Cities/States etc. To say the entire point of those tournaments is to get the Worlds invite is a wrong and incomplete answer. It is a point, but I don't think it's the main one. I think the main one would be to try to do well and win, regardless of the CP.

I completely agree. I will never in my lifetime be able to dedicate so much time and money to Pokemon to make Worlds, even when I have my own car. I went to Battle Roads, Cities, and the luckily close States to play and hopefully win there. Not once did I say "I must win this for a Worlds invite," however I did want to win to win the tournament itself.

alexmf2 said:
You don't win to win. You win to get something when you win. Besides, it's not like this new rule just stopped you from winning. If you're a good player, you'll win even if there were no other additional changes.

Packs, medal cards, and recognition is something, is it not? I was well known in my area and I didn't even win anything super big. Top achievement I ever made was 3rd Place in States. People still knew me though, and didn't look down on me like some top players look down on "scrubs". (Speaking of, I hate that term.)

And the new rule does stop you from winning. It's possible to have more than 100 damage dealt to you in a single. turn. I don't want to be playing against luck, I would rather play against people. With this info we have NOW (like you said there's hopefully more) you can so easily be donked right out of winning anything.

RunningWithScizors said:
I'm not sure I like this decision. Gives the folks who go X-0 too much glory.

I know, there was way too many times I was X-1, and faced off against someone X-0 I never faced in Swiss or was donked by in Swiss. I was then given another chance, and I actually won the rounds 90% of the time.

alexmf2 said:
My idea of a scrub is someone who plays a deck based around types instead of a deck based around a Pokemon.

But come on, it's absurd to be arguing now. Obviously, if there aren't any more changes, this is bad, but if there are, this might be good. What are you even arguing for?

Isn't a scrub just someone who basically doesn't try to win? Because what you're describing is someone who needs assistance in building and playing, otherwise known as a new player. Or maybe someone who can't afford the big decks. Not a scrub who refuses to improve.

And I agree that all this premature arguing on here and PokeGym is insane, but who can blame anyone? They could at the very least say that there is more to be revealed.

I really hope they increase the CP u win at battle roads if they are getting rid of cut!

cf11 said:
I really hope they increase the CP u win at battle roads if they are getting rid of cut!

That would probably the worst thing they could possibly do, lol.

This is really bad, there's going to be less player attendence due to this all because there's no longer a Top Cut at Battle Roads aside from the fact that the TCG's prize support sucks nowadays with 4 packs and a Victory Medal Promo.

I don't play Pokemon TCG for the prize support, I do it to get a solid Win/Loss Record or try to go X-0 which is pretty rare for me anyway. I don't know what TPCi/P!P was thinking when they thought of this but messing up the game's tournament structure like this is a bad direction for the Pokemon TCG.

"The Pokémon Autumn Battle Roads are first Premier tournaments of the Play! Pokémon tournament cycle. They are located in numerous cities in a state, with emphasis on the local player area. Players can build their Championship Points and Premier Rating at these events as well, determining who receives invitations to the Pokémon World Championships."

That is from the VA Pokémon site, so I guess there are still CP.

alexmf2 said:
That would probably the worst thing they could possibly do, lol.

This!!!! If anything they should decrease it. More than 1/5 of a Worlds invite can be earned at Battle Roads. That's a problem IMO. They should be small tournaments.

@Glaceon~ Couldn't that just be C/Pd from last year? Not all of the 2013 season has been revealed yet. That could just be a placeholder to advertise BRs since he probably couldn't give actual details (if any) away yet.

Back