No Top Cut at Battle Roads?

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
SD Pokemom on PokeGym said:
As per a post by Pete De Shaw on the TPCi PTO forums, and which we have permission to publicize: there will be no top cuts at BRAutumn. Standings after swiss will be final.

Wow.

Infinity

Soccer Mom
Doesn't matter for me. There are only 2 seniors at my events anyway. (including myself)
:p

Pretty big news for masters though.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
LOGO.jpg

ApachePrime

Aspiring Trainer
Wow. So when I play in a 7 round Battle Road in FL, and get donked one round, I might as well leave now. Great thinking TPCi.

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
Well, considering it has been confirmed by Pete De Shaw, its not fake.

DNA

Advanced Member
Glace said:
Well, considering it has been confirmed by Pete De Shaw, its not fake.
And now for the follow-up:

whywouldyoudothat.jpg

One Approved

;
Advanced Member
I blame safariblade.

This is person. 1 Undefeated and 4 X-1's left after swiss, championship points being decided completely on resistance. That's so stupid.

Infinity

Soccer Mom
I blame sonicmoj.

It is kinda stupid that they would do that. Time to stop playing Sharpedo at BRs guys. Technically you couldn't anyway.

alex

Miss the game
I've read most of the discussion on PokeGym, and have come to this conclusion:

It is completely stupid to judge P!P's changes before every single change has been revealed.

DNA

Advanced Member
alexmf2 said:
I've read most of the discussion on PokeGym, and have come to this conclusion:

It is completely stupid to judge P!P's changes before every single change has been revealed.
Then why not just reveal every single change now and be done with it?

alex

Miss the game
I have no idea, but they didn't reveal three Regionals the same time they revealed this. I highly doubt this is the only change they are making, especially considering how Pokemon was basically using last year to test out CP, and then make changes this year.

DNA

Advanced Member
alexmf2 said:
I have no idea, but they didn't reveal three Regionals the same time they revealed this. I highly doubt this is the only change they are making, especially considering how Pokemon was basically using last year to test out CP, and then make changes this year.

You'd think if they were going to make changes that would make people happy, they'd reveal one at the same time they revealed something totally sucky.

Also, in no way does CP distribution does not compensate for the fact that top cuts have been removed for Battle Roads. CP is barely anything, and for those not aiming for Nats or Worlds invites, they're completely irrelevant. I'd rather have a chance of winning a local tournament than try and get a chance to go to Nats or Worlds...because the chances of doing well at a local tourney are a lot better than doing well at Nats or Worlds (you're much less likely to crash and burn).

One Approved

;
Advanced Member
Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
Then why not just reveal every single change now and be done with it?

Because that would be the logical thing to do. Pokémon lets us play trainers on our first turn, gives us a game that is 70% luck, and doesn't use 6 on 6 singles at standard video game events. The moment Pokémon does something logical is a sign of the apocalypse.

alex

Miss the game
You'd think if they were going to make changes that would make people happy, they'd reveal one at the same time they revealed something totally sucky.

Also, in no way does CP distribution does not compensate for the fact that top cuts have been removed for Battle Roads. CP is barely anything, and for those not aiming for Nats or Worlds invites, they're completely irrelevant. I'd rather have a chance of winning a local tournament than try and get a chance to go to Nats or Worlds...because the chances of doing well at a local tourney are a lot better than doing well at Nats or Worlds (you're much less likely to crash and burn).

I have no idea why they didn't reveal anything at the same time. I'm not the person to ask for that. What I can tell you is that I will bet money on the fact that there is more to be revealed.

The entire point of Battle Roads, Cities, States, Regionals, and Nationals is to get an invite to Worlds. Just because you want to win a Battle Road just to win a Battle Road won't change that.

DNA

Advanced Member
The entire point of Battle Roads, Cities, States, Regionals, and Nationals is to get an invite to Worlds.
This sounds so utterly and completely misinformed.

alex

Miss the game
This sounds so utterly and completely misinformed.

Oh? And is that why you can get 16 points (almost 1/3 of an invite) from Battle Roads, 30 points (more than 1/2 an invite) from Cities, 40 points (4/5 of an invite) from S/P/Ts and Regionals, and 20 (?) points (2/5 of an invite) from Nationals? I'm pretty sure all those points are made to get an invite to Worlds.

DNA

Advanced Member
That's the point of CP. That isn't necessarily the point of Battle Roads/Cities/States etc. To say the entire point of those tournaments is to get the Worlds invite is a wrong and incomplete answer. It is a point, but I don't think it's the main one. I think the main one would be to try to do well and win, regardless of the CP.

Would you rather go to every event all year and amass enough CP to go to Worlds, or would you just attend 1 event (below Nationals) but if you went you knew you would win? I'd rather win a smaller tournament than merely have a chance to go to a big one.

So what does that have to do with top-cut? Top-cut makes tournaments actually competitive and not so utterly reliant on luck.