Jumbo Cards

bagoly14

Collecting is expensive -_-
I was just curious, what are the top 3 rarest jumbo cards?

I am pretty inexperienced in term of rarity but I was thinking...Captain Pikachu, Tropical Present, and New Year Present?

I'm sure Daelum is gonna jump in here and show me what's what :cool:

ashtavakra

Overlord
I know that Crystal Charizard is worth a fair amount. But unsure, they REALLY need to bring back box toppers.

Daelum

Climbing the stairs to the top
Hi :D

The 3 rarest Jumbos... hmmm... that's a tough one. I have quite a few answers to this!

Answer #1:
The JR Rally trio. This three jumbos barely ever surface. I have only seen 3 sets for sale, and then 1 single. However, they do not demand the highest price. They go for around $80-$100 a piece, which means they must have been a more popular before I got into the Jumbo game :p

Answer #2:
JPN Tyranitar EX
JPN Gardeviour EX
JPN Giratina
JPN Darkrai
These 4 jumbos are almost impossible to find. I have only seen 1 Darkrai for sale, which was on Yahoo! Japan and have seen 2 of the Tyranitar and Giratina jumbos for sale, on eBay. I have yet to see a Giratina ex for sale (actually, I think one sold a while ago, but not too sure). I'd say anyone who possesses these cards has one of the top collections. The sad thing is they don't cost too much.

Answer #3:
The "Special Card"s.
There are actually 5 total of these (The 3 Tropical Presents, the New Year Present, and the New Century Present) but they are all approx. on the same level. These cards are pretty darn rare, but it wouldn't be too hard to track them down, but it might take a while. However, they can be pretty pricey, so it's a double whammy when trying to buy one.

Answer #4:
Captain Pikachu
2008 Birthday Pikachu
These are probably the most expensive Jumbos out there. It doesn't make too much sense, seeing as they are not that rare. Captain Pikachu used to be very common, but has increased in rarity, which has caused it's price to become rather inflated. The 2008 Bithday Pikachu is stupidly expensive, for which I have no idea why. Both cards are generally not that rare, but for some reason, demand the highest costs for jumbos.

Answer #5:
The "Myth" Jumbos
These are Jumbos that may or may not exist. The top 3 of these include: Ho-Oh Legend, Lugia Legend, and the Illustration set. I remember seeing pictures in someone's collection of the two Legend cards, but that was a long time ago, and I have never seen other pictures nor any information on them since. As for the Illustration set, view the spoiler below.
This is my post from another forum:
Daelum;2439833 said:
So I recently viewed this article on Bulbapedia, and scrolled down to the 2009 contest. I viewed the contestant prizes, and saw the following:

WHAT!? EXCLUSIVE JUMBOS?! Does anyone have pictures or more information about these?

Answer #6:
Unique Jumbos
This pretty much just pertains to a specific type of Jumbo card, the Pokemon Card Game Trainer. Read the Bulbapedia info for more information. Basically, all of these jumbos are unique, making each one 1 of a kind. To my knowledge, none have ever surfaced for sale (I mean, who would think of selling a picture of themselves?), so they by far are the rarest Jumbos, but some do not consider them an essential to a complete Jumbo collection seeing as they are so special.
I guess you could also include Yamato's wedding card in this answer. View the spoiler for a picture. It is believed that TPCi actually made this for him as a wedding gift.
418005_349397561768762_100000955648396_976309_1229349485_n.jpg

ForeignDude

Aspiring Trainer
Whoa, Imakuni is the illustrator for the wedding card. There goes my hopes for having a collection of Imakuni related cards!

bagoly14

Wow, thanks for the informative reply.

I actually was unaware the JR trio is that rare, I saw a bunch before but didn't think much of them...you mean the Hokkaido ones right?

I didn't know about the other ones in #2 being that rare either, the Giratina Jumbo seems to be like the missing rarity Japanese 1st ED cards - nobody really knows about them except the hardcore collectors.

#3 and #4 I knew more or less, and I've heard about the Illustrator Jumbo before as well but not the legend ones...the Unique jumbos are just...let's just say I won't be trying to collect those ever LOL.

What strikes me as very odd is that many of these jumbo cards seem rare and hard to find yet they never really hit the 100$+ mark...you would think something like the Jumbo Giratina would net at least 125$ but I guess Jumbo Cards are more of a big thing in Japan than in the West because they stopped box toppers and the Jumbos are quite boring. Yay it's a giant mewtwo...now BEAMS Mewtwo - that's cool.

Daelum

bagoly14 said:
Wow, thanks for the informative reply.

I actually was unaware the JR trio is that rare, I saw a bunch before but didn't think much of them...you mean the Hokkaido ones right?

I didn't know about the other ones in #2 being that rare either, the Giratina Jumbo seems to be like the missing rarity Japanese 1st ED cards - nobody really knows about them except the hardcore collectors.

#3 and #4 I knew more or less, and I've heard about the Illustrator Jumbo before as well but not the legend ones...the Unique jumbos are just...let's just say I won't be trying to collect those ever LOL.

What strikes me as very odd is that many of these jumbo cards seem rare and hard to find yet they never really hit the 100$+ mark...you would think something like the Jumbo Giratina would net at least 125$ but I guess Jumbo Cards are more of a big thing in Japan than in the West because they stopped box toppers and the Jumbos are quite boring. Yay it's a giant mewtwo...now BEAMS Mewtwo - that's cool.

Yes, I am talking about the Hokkaido ones. So I was right - they were common before I got into the jumbo game! :p

So far I have zero information about the Giratina, other than that a French eBay seller recently sold one to a fellow collector I am friends with.

The cards in #3 and #4 generally hover just under $100 ($70-$80 range) outside of Japan. I know at least the #4 jumbos go for a good amount less in Japan.

My thinking as to why they never really go significantly past $100 is because the interest in Jumbos is shared among a relatively small amount, which means not a lot of research has not been put in (outside of Japan), so when rarities like the Giratina Jumbo pop up, no one knows enough about them to determine a solid price. As far as I know, I was the only one to see the Giratina that recently sold on eBay (but then I posted about it and other people found out, then it was purchased by a fellow collector friend :p).

So by all of this, I assume you are trying to collect all the Jumbo cards?

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Depending on your definition of jumbo card. The rarest might include 30" tall English foam core. They look like a normal card front and back, but were printed on foam core due to size. I know of 3. Charmander, Charmeleon, and Fire energy.

bagoly14

Well, as a collector I really like Jumbo cards. They are pretty tough to find in mint condition and quite unique + there is not much information about them. At the moment I am focusing more on being a vendor though, I try to collect when I can...The only jumbos I have right now are the Three Birds and the 2013 Nagoya one sadly. I'm trying to fill my collection by going in order on the unnumbered promo list but its proving quite challenging as a student with no income so I took all my leftover money from last summer and invested it in my site. I figure I might as well buy and sell since I spend a lot of time dealing with pokemon related stuff.

That being said I do sneak some cards I get doubles of that I don't think I will come across in mint condition anytime soon haha ;)

Daelum

omahanime said:
Depending on your definition of jumbo card. The rarest might include 30" tall English foam core. They look like a normal card front and back, but were printed on foam core due to size. I know of 3. Charmander, Charmeleon, and Fire energy.

Ah yes, there are various "Jumbo Jumbo" or "really big" cards out there haha

Although I have not ever heard of the ones you are talking about, I do know of others.
There are the 4 "Banned at STS" giant Sneasels, then there are oversized Dark Raichu, Meowth, and Pikachu cards. Also, PokePop over on the Gym has the Delta Species Kingdra line in oversized form.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I think Jumbo cards are cool, but I'm ambivalent towards collecting them since I don't really know what to do with them. Currently, the only ones I've realy put forth effort into getting are the ones that have art I super like (Darkrai and Cresselia LEGEND, Mewtwo EX) and Pokémon I super like (Keldeo EX) and I have them in a letter-sized pouch in my binder. I'm thinking of maybe seeing if there's a standard size frame with mat that could potentially display them well; I'd like to do that once I'm living in a bit of a large space and can have a little section to myself for my collections.

TheTPCProductionz

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, I have a few I don't buy them unless they come in a box that I am buying. It's definitely a factor in my want for the boxes that have them in.

grantm1999

VileGar
Are the jumbo "winner" Electabuzz ones rare at all? Just curious I know almost nothing about jumbo cards except that they're not legal for tournament play. Also I'm asking because I somehow have 2 of those Electabuzz.

elam18

Quitting Sale~ go to my ebay!
Hey Daelum,

which Jumbo Darkrai are you referring to? Is it the 2007 Shining Darkness Darkrai?

I wish I had a jumbo collection :(

grantm1999 said:
Are the jumbo "winner" Electabuzz ones rare at all? Just curious I know almost nothing about jumbo cards except that they're not legal for tournament play. Also I'm asking because I somehow have 2 of those Electabuzz.

No it's not.. you can easily buy them at trollandtoad for $10.. I saw one sold for $3..

bagoly14 said:
I was just curious, what are the top 3 rarest jumbo cards?

I am pretty inexperienced in term of rarity but I was thinking...Captain Pikachu, Tropical Present, and New Year Present?

I'm sure Daelum is gonna jump in here and show me what's what :cool:

Daelum is the only jumbo collector I know =/ I'm still waiting to see his jumbo collection! But the most 3 rarest card in my opinion is the ones I don't have =/

@Daelum:

The reason why the The 2008 Bithday Pikachu is stupidly expensive is because a birth certificate is required for proof to claim the card. Since it was for a limited time and children have to present their birth certificate in order to receive one, that's why it's expensive.

So far I have zero information about the Giratina, other than that a French eBay seller recently sold one to a fellow collector I am friends with.

At least mention my name!

P.S. I joined pokebeach just for this thread only.

Artemis said:
I think Jumbo cards are cool, but I'm ambivalent towards collecting them since I don't really know what to do with them. Currently, the only ones I've realy put forth effort into getting are the ones that have art I super like (Darkrai and Cresselia LEGEND, Mewtwo EX) and Pokémon I super like (Keldeo EX) and I have them in a letter-sized pouch in my binder. I'm thinking of maybe seeing if there's a standard size frame with mat that could potentially display them well; I'd like to do that once I'm living in a bit of a large space and can have a little section to myself for my collections.

You can buy toploaders 4x6 to store the jumbo cards (that's what I do with mine) . The english boxtoppers and some japanese oversized(oshawott, snivy, tepig, fan club special) I go with 3x4 toploaders

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Daelum said:
Answer #2:
JPN Tyranitar EX
JPN Gardeviour EX
JPN Giratina
JPN Darkrai
These 4 jumbos are almost impossible to find. I have only seen 1 Darkrai for sale, which was on Yahoo! Japan and have seen 2 of the Tyranitar and Giratina jumbos for sale, on eBay. I have yet to see a Giratina ex for sale (actually, I think one sold a while ago, but not too sure). I'd say anyone who possesses these cards has one of the top collections. The sad thing is they don't cost too much.

Sorry but, what Giratina card are you referring to? I usually pay attention to this kind of stuff and I've never heard of any Giratina jumbo card...

elam18

Metalizard said:
Daelum said:
Answer #2:
JPN Tyranitar EX
JPN Gardeviour EX
JPN Giratina
JPN Darkrai

Sorry but, what Giratina card are you referring to? I usually pay attention to this kind of stuff and I've never heard of any Giratina jumbo card...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280891349328?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

That one ^

Never doubt Daelum! haha

bagoly14

My thread got someone to join Pokebeach...my good deed for the day is done. :D

elam18

bagoly14 said:
My thread got someone to join Pokebeach...my good deed for the day is done. :D

Well if you're looking for something, let me know. I'm 95% finished of what i wanted to collect.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
elam18 said:
You can buy toploaders 4x6 to store the jumbo cards (that's what I do with mine) .

How?
Since jumbos require a 6x9 toploader.

elam18

omahanime said:
elam18 said:
You can buy toploaders 4x6 to store the jumbo cards (that's what I do with mine) .

How?
Since jumbos require a 6x9 toploader.

Oh MY BAD... The jumbos I use 6x9, the boxtopper/some oversized cards I use 4x6, the regular cards I use 3x4. LOL thanks for the correction, I always get my numbers mixed up