How Do You Store and Organize Your Collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
Target has the better deal :)

Very Good point Athena :) Im just getting prices for when i can afford 70-90 of these plus those pages with the black layer between both sides for 10-12K cards

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
TheTPCProductionz said:
You're looking at a lot of money for all of that, plus where the hell will you store them ?

My bedroom or living room in a file cabinet or Walmart Book case :)

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
TheTPCProductionz said:
You're looking at a lot of money for all of that, plus where the hell will you store them ?

You can fit 12 1/2" binders in a bankers box.

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller
omahanime said:
TheTPCProductionz said:

You can fit 12 1/2" binders in a bankers box.

Where would be the best place to buy a banker's box?

Auride

Periodic Visitor
How can one prevent cards from warping over time? Is it just down to having a room with reasonably well maintained temperature, or keeping everything under heavy books all the time? Thanks.

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
Yeah, temperature and humidity. But if you put them in sleeves/a binder I really haven't noticed any bending.

Maserati777

Aspiring Trainer
I put my old holos in a lose plastic binder, 10 years later the cards are shaped like the binder, wavy.

I don't keep my ex's in any binder, all are in toploaders.

I had a sturdy binder, but an accident lead me to stepping on it sideways. The top 10 card sleeve pages were actually ripped at the holes and I lost about 6 commons and uncommons, including reverses that I only had one each of because they were indented from the rings. Here's a picture of the 4 worst ones. Had Heatran Ex been in the binder it would have been destroyed.
tumblr_n48sc89e4w1r12rm4o4_r1_500.jpg

Now I use these http://www.mead.com/meadstore/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=88006

EricDent

Aspiring Trainer
I store all my extra commons, uncommons, and promos in the largest cardboard box that they make for cards.
My extra rares are in a binder with sleeves.
I have never had a problem with warping cards, since I put cards on both sides of the card pages.

Maserati777

Aspiring Trainer
Here is what I was talking about before, I had that binder for over 10 years. I used a thicker sleeve then I use now so I think that caused the cards to warp to the shape of the sleeve. Also the binder is really flimsy, which is not a good idea for cards.

tumblr_n48sc89e4w1r12rm4o5_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n48sc89e4w1r12rm4o6_r1_1280.jpg

Fortunately I was able to save a Genger ex and a Mr. Mime ex from the binder and it seems only the 2003 cards were warped, the older cards from Base and Series 2 didn't warp, maybe the cards from 2003 were made on thinner cardboard so warped easier? I'm not sure, I stopped collecting cards around 2002 when the e-series came out.

Added spoiler tags for large images ~Athena

Shrike

Aspiring Trainer
It looks to me like those were just low quality sleeve pages, causing the plastic to warp over time. High quality pages such as UltraPro platinum shouldn't have the same issue. I had some cards in ancient Ultrapro pages actually that weren't kept in a binder (the pages were loose), and despite how bad they were treated their storage didn't seem to cause them any more harm other than what they already had from being handled by a kid who didn't know better.

My current storage is to forget about toploaders all together as I think they may be a bit bulky and unnecessary. Instead I double sleeve every card, first right side up in a KMC perfect fit then upside down in a KMC hyper mat (so the opening is facing down). Then that's slotted into an UltraPro platinum page, with the double sleeved cards fitting perfectly, though you can only fit one card per slot that way. May be a bit extreme for more common cards, but it'd look strange if different cards were stored in the binder with different sleeving!

Status
Not open for further replies.