General Writing Discussion Thread | Current Topic: NaNoWriMo

RE: Writer's Lounge

Dead :( well, I am writing actively and am asking if a 5,000 word chapter would make you guys annoyed if you ever read it?

Admittedly, anything over 4k words makes my teeth grit for a proofread, so don't expect me to through it thoroughly.

Zyflair said:
Admittedly, anything over 4k words makes my teeth grit for a proofread, so don't expect me to through it thoroughly.

^Agreed. Frankly, I usually just write longer chapters myself just to make sure that I'm actually giving people something worthwhile to read. Also, I won't normally check the length in terms of word count unless a chapter looks suspiciously short, not overwhelmingly long.

Zyflair said:

I was planning to reach 4k words in my next chapter, but I don't think you'll like it unless I have absolutely no errors at all, correct? If MrGatr has zero errors in his next chapter, then it'd be fine, correct? :)

It's not a matter whether it has too many errors or not. It's that since it's so long I don't want to check for errors at all. If you want a proofread, it's better by smaller installations, thus why I stay under 3.5k for all of my chapters (not to mention I'm posting on a weekly basis).

While I'll give you guys credit for trying to write longer chapters, you should keep in mind that it actually takes more time for your audience to read through the entirety of them. Personally, I don't even keep track of exact word counts for my chapters anymore, and instead rank the lengths based on MS Word pages (As such, I typically average about ten pages per chapter, give or take).

Lucky, you make a 4k chapter, and I shall look it over.

I don't really care that much, I just estimate by how bad my figures hurt after typing it, typically I like 2k or 2.5k. As this chapter I posted a preview of (thanks Apollo for the idea) I am making it 2.5k and the last chapter is gonna be 5k so then I'm done and don't need to worry about it for a little. I'm gonna rewrite parts of the first chapters and then think of an epilogue... I plan on making my fan-fic about 9 chapters long... (just to top DNA) and I go back and forth between dads and moms, and dad has no internet, so I cannot post weekly without running the battery down everyday on my I-pod (which I'm already doing).

But DNA isn't done, lol.

Good luck with your fic neverhteless.

WHAT >.<
DNA you there... *Pokes DNA* stop writing so I can be competitive in my nature :<

Thanks, I'm working my little butt off, then I noticed that chapter 2 started just like chapter 1 D: It's truly a sin how I think like that.

You want competitive? Disbelief is going to have at an estimated 30+ chapters. That's an estimated 100+k words or so. |D

That's it... *competitive rage comes in* Fine, I shall make Shadows longer :<

I plan on making my fan-fic about 9 chapters long... (just to top DNA)
Nightmare has 25 chapters in it. I'm also in the process of writing its sequel, which I have already finished 8 chapters of.

Top me? Don't try.

Zyflair said:
Oh, he will, so let him do as he likes. ;3
Ambiguity detected in your sentence.
He will try to top me; he will not top me.

DNA you know telling me that I will not top you makes me want to top you even more...
*MrGatr shall top DNA no matter how many chapters DNA makes!*

hubris detected gogogogogogogogo

I've already got thirty-nine chapters written for Feral Twilight...in my head... And an additional twenty-five for Biohazard...ideally, anyways. Top that! ;P

grrr...
*MrGatr surrenders to Apollo's amazing chapters...*

DNA, I have 20 chapters ready to go, with a lot of proofreading for Shadow...
Top that, + some for like um... Ideas...

...How long is each chapter in words (on average)?

2k most of them... my last one is gonna be 5k just to top it off...

Back