General Writing Discussion Thread | Current Topic: NaNoWriMo

RE: Writer's Lounge

Oh dear, what have I done...?

Enough of talking about our plans, everyone.

The Fallen One said:
Something very horrible, obviously ;P
*slap* >[

Also, Apollo, help me. How do you rewrite a Chapter that's so terrible? ;_;

By making it good... I could give you some help
(not that it's needed)

Zyflair said:
*slap* >[

Also, Apollo, help me. How do you rewrite a Chapter that's so terrible? ;_;

Start from the chapter's beginning and read up to the problem area. Once you identify where the worse part is, start writing out a second scenario within the section and keep comparing the two to see what sounds like it'd be more believable. If possible try keep it as straight to the current plot as possible, but edit out whatever things seem like they don't fit anymore. This is exactly the tactic I'm using with my rewrites for Feral Twilight. It make the kinks in your story that much easier to notice and save you a lot of regret caused by just deleting the whole chapter and starting it all over again.

You're welcome. It should work, even though it will look sort of sloppy to you as you go about rewriting. Once you've got everything edited to satisfaction, it should turn out better. I just know that it's always a big mistake to delete a full chapter when only part of it might be bad. That was my blunder with Feral Twilight's third chapter, and so I swore I wouldn't do that again for any of the others I'm working on...

Ok... you imagine whats gonna happen... then you write it....

That's all I got. GL with writing.

First you want to plan what you want to happen in that particular chapter alone. A good guideline is to try and make the plot climb forward by exactly one step for each chapter, or, one small step each in two separate subplots.

Then, plan out the chapter in your head. Make sure you're at least 90% sure you know what you want to do in the chapter. The remaining 10% is the uncertainty factor, which you can tweak as necessary if you want to change something around.

Finally once you've written it all out, go back and double-check that you covered everything you wanted to cover for that chapter. Once you are content, move on, and repeat the process from the start.

I've started writing plays in the time I've spent off school. They're mainly comedy, but I need some good ideas for any genre. Any thoughts?

MrGatr said:
Ok... you imagine whats gonna happen... then you write it....
No, MrGatr, that's not right. You plan the story first. Then plan the chapters.

Ok, I concede defeat to you Zy... just you might wanna have the story in mind, (figuring you already knew what you wanted), just so Zy would be happy.... picky person she is.

Inconceivable said:
I've started writing plays in the time I've spent off school. They're mainly comedy, but I need some good ideas for any genre. Any thoughts?
As in you want ideas for genre, or help for specific genres?

Unfortunately, that's mostly up to you. Go by what you like to read. The genres you're more interested in reading are usually the genres you'll have more success with writing.

If you still are having problem with a genre, then pick one by random. Or start from scratch. Choose a character, then expand the story from there. You will hit into a block when you've reached a point. The story might then turn into a genre. If you don't like it, you can always start over. :)

You're welcome. Try to keep things simple at first. ;3

Back