General Writing Discussion Thread | Current Topic: NaNoWriMo

RE: Writer's Lounge

*Sigh,* how we hate double-posting... ._.

Well, as some of you would know by now, I'm actually working on a fan fiction once again. For those of you not around when I was writing, I'll just state a few things about my works:
- Characters are anthropomorphized Pokemon. Always.
- They're fantasy works with the classic touch of magic in them.
- Characters do not mess around with magic. Cold and sarcastic protagonist Reagald deals with hungry Flygons, herds of Hippodowns, experienced assassins, and the haunted spirit of a Milotic. Did I forget to mention she's only a child Eevee and was so pro that I got an awesome artist to draw her?
- Only one member by the username of squirtli (Arceus bless his soul) has managed to follow my works with every chapter.
- DNA, however, deserves an honorable mention for being an APR (Awesome ProofReader).
- They all [the works] died because I had either stopped in frustration of the low quality the story got to, or that I simply didn't have the time and motivation.

So here's the plan. 500 words a day = 3500 words a week = one chapter about every week, about a battle scene every two to three chapters, depending on the development. I should finish the first chapter by tomorrow or so, but I'll need to get it reviewed so it won't be out until the weekends or so. But honestly, I'm just really excited to get back in business, and hopefully, I'm staying this time.

I've been working sluggishly on Feral Twilight again myself, as I mentioned to a few people. But I have no immediate plans for revival updates until I get done with Chapter Four's revisions since I never got that one up.

Additionally, I've made some progress on my side-story Devout, but I'm a little cross about a small part I have right in the beginning of chapter two in which I describe a wolf demon as being fat due to him constantly feeding upon souls of mortals. I may edit it out, but before I do, does that sound too disgusting to anyone?

Stop editing your posts, lol.

It sounds fine, though. I don't see problems with an overfeeding demon.

But if I don't edit them, you'll be able to respond to a badly thought-out message I had second thoughts about.

Actually, I'm having second thoughts about that scene since it's sort of grotesque anyways.

Would anyone be willing to read my story if I wrote a second chapter? I've had the idea in my head for a long time now but before I spend time typing it up I'd like to know if anyone would care. I've gotten an extremely small number of views and responses to the first chapter, and I don't want to waste my time writing up a story nobody cares about.

Well, since I have some time, I would be willing to do so.

I'm giving some serious thought to setting a deadline for the Round-Robin soon. It won't be until sometime after the holidays, since I probably won't have a lot of opportunities to get to my library during the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve. Any suggestions or problems with that? Public signups will remain open until the deadline, but once it passes, I won't accept any more entries. Depending on whether or not I get more than the two I have, I may end up having to cancel it altogether since it's essentially proven to be an epic failure (or at least make serious revisions to its set-up before trying it again).

I guess that 500-1000 words was too many. The Unfinished Page had a max of 500 words. I wonder if what happens if we did like the exact opposite: restrict entries to - say - a measly 300 words. Set a biweekly schedule: one week to submit the entries, and another week to wait for the participants' votes. If all of the participants voted early, then we move on as scheduled.

So an example case would be:
- Contest starts at 1/1.
- Five entries by 1/8.
- All of the five participants voted by 1/12.
- Since the next round was planned to start at 1/15 (a week after the beginning the voting period), it would still end at 1/22, so the extra three days left over from the voting process that finished early are added to the submitting period for the second round.

Another thing I'd like to suggest is to simply have people pm the entries to you without declaring that they will be participating. That way, there's no time wasted for signups.

I do agree that there are a little many words; but maybe there shouldn't be a limit. Only allow at least 100+ words, or no limit? Maybe add a 2,000 limit, but writers should be allowed to write as much as they can, above 100 words at miniuium. I hope it helps with the entries. ;)

I don't think there should be a word limit on any written work. It may hinder the writer's creative and/or writing process. Just stop being slubs and read the whole thing.

Alright. That sounds fine. Biweekly could have been a bit too rushed.

Sorry, I accidentally deleted my post. But yeah, I'll implement some changes for next round and possibly make it into a monthly contest. Also, I'm thinking about skimming back the minimum to 250. And, Pontius, there has to be a cap otherwise it's not a contest.

A cap is a broad term. Certain genre, certain line, all within a one-shot story. And of these are caps. But word limit? Asinine.

no, that's the challenge. you do not seem to understand this. if you can't say what you need to in the cap, you probably shouldn't be writing, because your writing is probably more purple than Crystal's.

Zenith said:
no, that's the challenge. you do not seem to understand this. if you can't say what you need to in the cap, you probably shouldn't be writing, because your writing is probably more purple than Crystal's.

Like with the Round Robin contest my entry was only a little over 600 words, when the limit was 500-1000.

Setting limits creates an awesome challenge.

Pontius said:
A cap is a broad term. Certain genre, certain line, all within a one-shot story. And of these are caps. But word limit? Asinine.

You do realize I'm talking about an ongoing writing contest, right? For the contest people cannot be allowed to write less than the given minimum amount of words or more than a given maximum amount of them, otherwise they'll be disqualified. That's part of the challenge of the competition.

Zenith said:
Pfft, you'd have to try real hard to do that.

Hey everyone, be a family man. Get into the Holiday spirit. Check out my Christmas parody thing I just posted. Because, you know, thats all I want for Christmas. (Besides real parents, lulz)

Like, the thing is terriblel, so pointers would help.

Pontius said:
Hey everyone, be a family man. Get into the Holiday spirit. Check out my Christmas parody thing I just posted. Because, you know, thats all I want for Christmas. (Besides real parents, lol)

Like, the thing is terribel, so pointers would help.
Can't work on anything that's not prose, really, but I'll just run over my thoughts if you want some sort of comment on your terribel stuff.

Back