Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

Verbivore said:
Has anyone ever tried some troll strategies with abilities? I was looking at a few in particular and wanted to confirm/deny their validity:
Cresselia swapping levitate onto heatran, I know this is valid
Using Role Play Meloetta to copy your shedinja's wonder guard? If you call relic song you can be impossible to hit!
Using a regigigas on your own Cofagrigus to get Mummy instead of slow start.
Thanks for the help/ideas!

A couple of strategies with abilities, yes. The most obvious ones are having Drizzle up while pokemon with Swift Swim are on your team, but that was pretty obvious. In addition to cresselia swapping levitate to Heatran, another one is swapping levitate onto Regigigas, to get rid of Slow Start. Cresselia is pretty bulky, so you can also swap Slow Start onto your opponent's pokemon in addition. You might also try the same Skill Swap strategy with Slaking.

Protip: If you use Skill Swap on a pokemon with Intimidate, Intimidate will re-activate.

DNA: Why? What are you trying to accomplish with it?

I've been thinking of combo of Slowking/Slowbro + Regigigas. Slowking/bro uses Skill Swap to change Slow Start with Own Tempo. Slowking/bro don't mind Attack and Defense reduced and can pump up Regigigas with Swagger possibly even providing Trick Room support.

So the BW2 Wi-Fi Event for Deoxys is currently available in the U.S. and I was wondering what the best moveset for it is including a legal forme for competitive Uber battles that I should use. I was planning on going with Deoxys-D but I overheard that it got banned in either Uber or OU due to being too powerful of setting up entry hazards especially with Prankster Riolu for sweeping an entire opposing team with Roar and Copycat after setting up the hazards.

Then I thought about Deoxys-A which even though it's better than Deoxys-S due to not getting neutered by opposing Pokemon with Prankster or Magic Bounce, it still seems to gets revenged killed way too easily by a lack of defensive stats or anything that has +1 Priority with moves like ExtremeSpeed and Mach Punch. So yeah you kind of see my delimma of what Nature and IV's to go with for a Deoxys set to upload via Mystery Gift. Any help on this would be appreciated unless I need to make a seperate thread on it here on the forums...

It really ultimately depends on your battling style. If you plan on using Deoxys as an antilead you'll want to go for a Hasty or Naive nature. This Deoxys uses a mixed set. Generally you'll use Superpower, Ice Beam/Grass Knot, Shadow Ball, and Extreme Speed.

If you plan on using it for hazards, I prefer Deoxys-S because it is less likely to get Taunted while setting up hazards. You'd want a Timid nature in that case.

Thanks for your help King Arceus, I like a Deoxys-S that sets up hazards cause I was going to use it with Prankster Riolu, as for the Hazard Moveset for Deoxys-S what should it be along with Timid Nature? Stealth Rock, Spikes, Magic Coat, and ExtremeSpeed/Fire Punch? I may as well give it IV's in Sp. Atk depending on the moveset.

Stealth Rock, Spikes, Magic Coat, and Ice Beam or Shadow Ball is what I prefer. You don't need to invest any EVs in Speed. You'll invest them in HP and then either Defense or Special Defense.

Well, it all depends on the role of Deo-S. There is a dedicated suicide lead, and there is this "defensive hybrid" (idk) that KA uses. The dedicated one is 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd with SR / Spikes / Magic Coat or Shadow Ball or Signal Beam / Ice Beam (tailored for Timid). It would be up to you whether you want it to be suicidal and efficient or have longevity and be efficient too. To clarify on the choice between Shadow Ball and Ice Beam, it's up to hitting dragons or . . . Shadow Ball is for Psychics like opposing Deoxys, Mewtwo, and Giratina I guess (in case you need some explanation). I'm not too experienced with Ubers, but I'm doing what I can.

Best of luck. Props for using Riolu in Ubers btw.

~AoH

Well I got the Deoxys with the highest IV in Speed aside from it's Nature being Timid, as for Prankster Riolu is he legal for Ubers cause If not that kinda hurts my game plan with him setting up hazards with Deoxys-S and then switching into Riolu for the whole Roar + Copycat phazer sweep.

Riolu is indeed legal in Ubers. You just don't see him. At all.

What nature is your Deoxys, per se? A more suitable moveset could be crafted with that in mind.

~AoH

My Deoxys is Timid Nature, it's characteristic is "Likes to run". If you already had a different IV Stat and/or Nature in mind for the Deoxys it's already too late for me to change anything about it now since I got the Event last Thursday. I haven't changed it's moveset at all since I got it.

Oh. The way I read it, I thought it had a different nature. My bad. You should be fine then. Any moveset you use will be fairly standard. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something ridiculous like Quiet.

So, the set is largely up to you, depending on the role you want from it. You can do anything with a Timid Deo-S. :D

~AoH

With Riolu on the team, you are better off running Ice Beam over Shadow Ball because then it can deal with Rayquaza who can easily possess Extreme Speed. Make sure the team is able to handle Scizor and Extreme Killer Arceus though. Giratina might help there considering Will-o-wisp will shut down the Arceus and Scizor. It also compliments the entry hazards since they can't spin them away.

It seems that putting my question here is best so. I am breeding this Jolly Sneasel. Its IVs are 31,25,15,31,15,31. This ranges in order HP,Atk, Def, Sp Atk, Sp. Def and Speed. My question is; Is this Sneasel Good enough with its defenses and such or should I just keep breeding for a more perfect Sneasel?

I think that Sneasel is good enough. Sneasel and Weavile don't have very good defenses to begin with, so even if you were to get a flawless Sneasel with 31 in every stat, it still wouldn't stand up to very many attacks. Speed is the most important IV, and you have a flawless one on this one, as well as a very good Attack stat, so I would definitely keep it.

Hey guys! I'm really new to this so I have some really noob-ish questions about the vgc

1) Is pokesav legal? (aslong as you dont put on extra evs and such)
2) what are good combonations and what makes a good team?
cheeers

1) No, PokeSav is not legal in VGC.

2) You want to pick some kind of strategy to base your team around. A couple of really common strategies are Drizzle Politoed + Swift Swimm sweepers, or Trick Room users (like Bronzong) + slow, bulky, and powerful attackers (like Rhyperior and Metagross.)

So weathers the way to go? Could you just say like a basic team? How could they know if the pokemon are pokesav'd or not if they are in regulations? Thanks a lot!

What is Pokesav? I never heard of it. I know its not legal but what is it

In a doubles Drizzle Politoad. How important are to have good IVs in the HP area? I have bred many DW poliwags and can only dig up 2-3 IV Hps. I have this poliwag with great IV stats except in HP and Atk. Also would it be worth putting in 252 Hp on this poliwag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back