Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

If you plan on EV Training in a certain stat, you should definitely make sure the stat has good IVs.

I can't really tell you what you should do, but it would help if you could state whether you're going with a stall/defense Politoed or a Scarf/Specs one.

Thanks. ^^

Vast said:
If you plan on EV Training in a certain stat, you should definitely make sure the stat has good IVs.

I can't really tell you what you should do, but it would help if you could state whether you're going with a stall/defense Politoed or a Scarf/Specs one.

Thanks. ^^

Im using it to be a weather tank

For a weather tank Politoed, I would recommend 252 HP / 132 Defense / 124 Sp. Attack and the moveset Hydro Pump / Toxic / Protect / Perish Song or something similar. I don't know the rest of your team, so the moveset and EV's will vary depending on the rest. Leftovers would be a good item of Politoed.

Vast said:
For a weather tank Politoed, I would recommend 252 HP / 132 Defense / 124 Sp. Attack and the moveset Hydro Pump / Toxic / Protect / Perish Song or something similar. I don't know the rest of your team, so the moveset and EV's will vary depending on the rest. Leftovers would be a good item of Politoed.

Kicker I dk the rest of my team. I am floating around ideas. I know It will be Kingdra but the other 4 I am thinking about it

Adrian, I'm assuming that this Politoed is for VGC. In that case, this is the standard.

Politoed @ Wacan Berry / Iron Ball
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SpD
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 3 Spe
Nature: Modest / Quiet
~ Scald / Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Encore / Hidden Power Grass
~ Protect
Politoed, with those IVs and EVs, is as slow as possible to set up its weather whilst maintaining a BP 70 HP Grass. Iron Ball allows you to underspeed Abomasnow and Tyranitar, but with Modest, you can go 31 IVs in Spe to get over Scizor and such. There's more on it on Smogon's page (which is back up).

~AoH

hey guys im new here but im not new to ev training and the competitive scene although i havent battled competitively since d/p/pt
with that being said i have a question,
do the same rules still apply when battling online like the no uber rule, or when you battle do you have to battle in a tier with the pokemon in that tier, cause back then when i used to battle we would just say no ubers and any pokemon that wasnt a uber was allowed. but after reading smogon and the tier breakdowns, it seems there are tier battles? where you can only use the pokemon in that tier, help me out. thanks

also can anyone point me to a thread where we can look for battles? or is there no thread like that here, thanks again

jvlien said:
do the same rules still apply when battling online like the no uu rule, or when you battle do you have to battle in a tier with the pokemon in that tier, cause back then when i used to battle we would just say no uu and any pokemon that wasnt a uu was allowed. but after reading smogon and the tier breakdowns, it seems there are tier battles? where you can only use the pokemon in that tier, help me out. thanks
I've never heard of a no UU rule. When playing in a standard tier, for example OU, you can use all Pokemon available in that tier or lower, so that includes OU, BL, UU, BL2, RU, and NU, but not Ubers, if you're playing in OU. I assume what you're saying is you and your opponent agreed not to use UU Pokemon, but Pokemon in other tiers(including OU and Ubers?) were okay? Or do you maybe mean that you played NU, in which case you're not allowed to use UU, BL,(possibly BL2 if that existed?), OU or Ubers. If that's the case, then this isn't some special rule you select or agree on, it's the basic rule and entire point of being a lower tier. Lower tiers exist so you can use weaker Pokemon without them being outshone by stronger Pokemon and thus you can't use stronger Pokemon because that's the entire point.

What I can tell you for sure is that there's no clause or tier you can select on PS/PO that makes it so you can use only Pokemon not in UU, nor is there a clause or rule that says you can only use Pokemon in the tier you play (except NU because there are no tiers lower than it and those in higher tiers are banned from it, like every other tier). Sure people may have a team of only OUs in OU or only UUs in UU, but that's by choice, not some rule. They could use a Pokemon from a lower tier if they wanted to.

sorry for the confusion i misplaced uu with uber, i edited my post to clear things up, so yeah a no ubers battle, meaning you can use any pokemon that is not an uber, but i get you, so if i were to be looking for an ou battle, that means that any pokemon in the ou and under tiers is allowed right? not just ou, and if i were to say a bl battle then that also means any pokemon in the bl tier or under?

Yeah, when you play a tier you're allowed to use all Pokemon in that tier and tiers below it, but not tiers above it. Playing OU means the Ubers banlist is always applied, no clauses or anything. Also for future reference, I'm not sure anyone really plays BL because it's a banlist and the Pokemon in that list were banned from UU because they hurt the metagame, unlike Ubers which people play because every Pokemon is fair game and they want to use the strongest legendaries and whatnot.

ok thanks for clearing things up, now is there a thread to find battles on this forum? besides the tournaments

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/forum-wi-fi-trading-center

There's the Battle Now thread to find quick fights, or alternatively, you can set up a player thread to ask people for battles instead - whatever is most comfortable for you.

i have another question, so in b/w2 and b/w there is no level 100 option? and if you do flat rules and a pokemon is below lv 50 it will not be boosted up to 50? whats up with that and is there anyway to change it?

There might be a level 100 option via Wi-Fi, but I can't remember for sure. Flat Battle is done that way intentionally. Flat Battle is what Official Events run. That is why a Pokemon will not be leveled up.

The only options permitted over Wifi are either Flat Battle or Anything Goes. You cannot manually pick and choose clauses to be enforced, unfortunately. If you want to do LV100 fights over Wifi, you'll have to level them up yourself.
Sadly, I have to do that. On the plus side, getting exp in BW is a lot easier than in earlier gens. You can probably get a mon from 1 to 100 in about a week.

I'd say only 2-3 days depending on what you already have. If you have strong enough Pokemon to take on Area 9 in White Tree Hallow / Black Tower you can level really fast with Lucky Egg. Using Join Avenue you can also level decently because a couple of the shops you can build you can level up your Pokemon in when the shop gets to a certain level. I think its the Dojo and Cafeteria.

Join Avenue isn't very good for anything besides reducing EV's; it costs a lot of money. (And EV reducing can be done easily by about a month on the Dream World.

Nursery = Makes the eggs hatch faster
Cafe = Makes your Pokemon friendlier; can lower EVs somewhat and even raise level (at max level, one meal raises level by 8)
Mart = You can buy things in packs at lower prices, and it's the only place you can buy Ethers
Antique Shop = ...yeah this thing is worthless. The odds of you getting a stone are slim.
Florist = Can buy type-reducing and EV-reducing berries from here, as well as a pinch berry or two
Barber = Reduces EVs of Pokemon drastically while raising their happiness
Raffle = One free item per day; can be as high as a Master Ball but also has PP Ups and Rare Candies
Colosseum = Gives EVs to your Pokemon, and can also raise their level (at max level, 10 level ups per day)

Of those, half of the shops are relevant to your interests.

Cafe increases your EVs, not lowers.

It does? Huh. I guess me not playing the game in a long while has affected my memory of it.

http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/joinavenue.shtml said:
  • Raffle Shop - Provides a possibility to win items such as a Master Ball
  • Beauty Salon - Sells services that increase the Happiness of your Pokémon
  • Dojo - Increases the level and stats of your Pokémon
  • Market - Sells sets of various items such as MooMoo Milk, Potions etc.
  • Florist - Sells sets of various Berries
  • Antique Shop - Sells a random selection of items including PokéBalls, Evolution Stones etc.
  • Café - Sells selection of food which increase Pokémon's stats and level
  • Nursery - Sells items that aid in the hatching of Eggs

So I guess Join Avenue doesn't lower EV's in any way ;___;

So for the berries that lower EV's:

http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml said:
Item Effect on EVs
Pomeg Berry -10 Hit Point EVs
Kelpsy Berry -10 Attack EVs
Qualot Berry -10 Defence EVs
Hondew Berry -10 Special Attack EVs
Grepa Berry -10 Special Defence EVs
Tamato Berry -10 Speed EVs