Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

So I guess Join Avenue doesn't lower EV's in any way ;___;
Yes it does. The Beauty Salon does. It simultaneously raises happiness and drastically lowers EVs (even to 0 for a stat).

I'm aware, but that is what it does. It will raise your Pokemon's happiness and lower EVs in a stat of choice. However, you won't be able to give your Pokemon a haircut if it's at max happiness already. (If that happens you can just trade and trade back with another person to reset the happiness.)

Is Darmanitan-Z banned from VGC play? I don't see where it says in any of the rules but Shoddy doesn't allow it.

You can't start the fight in Zen Mode since the Ability requires Darmanitan be at 50% HP or less to trigger it. Zen Mode Darmanitan is allowed, but must be used the normal way, i.e. have a Darmanitan with the Zen Mode ability.

So then Darmanitan is useless because once it gets low enough HP to use it then they could just KO it.

Exactly. Darmanitan-Z takes everything good about Darmanitan and removes it, then replaces it with nothing useful.

Darmanitan-Z has great SpA and defenses though. I am disappointed that I can't use it :(

anyone know a good* way to use steelix? i think hes so cool but i cant find anything good to put him with

He's outclassed severely in UU by Registeel and in OU by Skarmory so there's no reason to use him that can't be done better by another Pokemon outside of RU. In RU he's a nice Physical wall that's pretty easy to put on a team.

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Roar

Stealth Rock because Stealth Rock. Gyro Ball because it's stronger due to its low Speed and STAB. Earthquake because Earthquake. Roar is good for phazing your opponent and can be substituted for Dragon Tail if you want to deal damage and not be shut down by Taunt at the cost of being shut down by Substitute and having a chance of missing. The Defense EV's are just enough to counter some specific threats while still having some left over to invest in his poor Special Defense.

Does Substitute wear off when the Pokemon using it leaves the battle (e.g. switches out)? If not, or if there are other ways, then what is/are the real way(s)?

It ends when you switch out, but stays in if you use Baton Pass.

So for only Baton Pass it moves to the Pokemon switching in? Or does it work for, e.g., Volt Switch and U-Turn?

Only Baton Pass, and what would it move to but the Pokemon switching in?

I was wondering if the effect just stayed on that same Pokemon, for example, if it switched in again, then the Substitute effect would stay on it.

Think of the Substitute like any stat boost in terms of sticking around (with the obvious exception of being destroyed by damage). Switching removes stat buffs and debuffs, Baton Pass passes them on to the new Pokemon, etc.

So Baton Pass gives any "additions" (for lack of a better term) on the previous Pokemon to the new Pokemon, such as stat boosts/changes (is it both?) and Substitute.

Does Light Screen/Reflect/Safeguard/etc stay no matter what?

Baton Pass passes any stat change(what do you mean both? boosts are changes) and substitutes. That's what Baton Pass is. Have you never seen it before? Light Screen/Reflect isn't a stat boost, it's a field effect that lasts for a certain number of turns. Switching out doesn't effect Light Screen/Reflect. You can easily find all this information on bulbapedia/serebii/google/playing a couple battles.

I just wanted to know this stuff before I started battling.

Another question:
How does Ring Target (an item) work? I tried searching for it but I didn't understand how it worked. I need a full-blown spoon-fed explanation of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back