Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDC

The PDC Show comes to an abrupt end...
Lately i've been seeing alot of threads with simple questions that can be answered by just making a thread for these types of things. So I made this thread.

This thread is for any competitive battling questions you have. EV questions, metagame questions, movest questions, team building questions, synergy, or anything under that matter. Even VGC questions can go here if you are wondering about certien rules. This is to help clean up the competitive section a bit. This thread also can help you get certien ideas you may have be perfected or made sure they work. However, there are some rules.

• Remember to follow all standard PB rules.
  • No flaming or any mean comments. No matter what question the member asks. You were once a newbie too and asked all kinds of questions.
  • All questions must be related to competitive battling of the VG. No TCG questions or anything else should be asked.
  • You can ask as many questions as you want, just remember to give people time to answer.

Remember to follow these rules. Besides that ask any competitive questions you may have. Ask away!

RE: The Competitive Battling Questions Thread

Quick question. I just wanted to make sure, are EV and IV mechanics the same as in the 4th generation including Hidden Power? (need confirmation)

From what i've seen, yes. Same old IVs and EVs properties and stuff.

What will happen if you Skill Swap Sturdy to Shedinja? It will still be KOed by Weather Effects or not?
A cool thing is, in a Triple Battle, Skill Swap Sturdy to Shedinja, Wonder Guard to Spiritomb and Pressure to a bulky Sturdy Pokémon like Golem, Aggron or Shuckle for example.

If you Skill Swap Sturdy to Shedninja it will be KOd by Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Weather anyways.

You can't skill swap with shedinja, but it would still die from auxiliary effects. My question is why do so many players use sazandora? It's not really anything special in my opinion.

My question is why do so many players use sazandora? It's not really anything special in my opinion.
It is special.
It is a great Pokemon with a good 98 Base Speed, 125 Attack, and 105 Attack. It can also scout the other team with U-turn and Draco Meteor and switch into many attacks thanks to it's good typing. It's a very good Stall Breaker and Scout. The 98 Base Speed allows it to kill Ononokusu (Choice Scarf allows it to kill Ononokusu even after a DD), but means it looses to Base 100's.

I have no idea why either. Dark and Dragon aren't great for coverage. Latias/Latios are IMO better scarfers, because of their better speed, as well as better sweepers, because they have Calm Mind.

I think many are using Sazandora because they either a) like Sazzy's higher special attack, or b) don't know that Lati@s are legal.

Sazandora is just an example of a great Garchomp style pokemon except with better attacking stats and a viable mixed movepool, along with lower speed. It's amazing with DD sets and Choice Scarf and personally I've used it with Mew and Rock Polish which is pretty cool.

Sazandora is just an example of a great Garchomp style pokemon except with better attacking stats and a viable mixed movepool, along with lower speed. It's amazing with DD sets and Choice Scarf and personally I've used it with Mew and Rock Polish which is pretty cool.
Sazandora doesn't have Dragon Dance... >_>

I think many are using Sazandora because they either a) like Sazzy's higher special attack, or b) don't know that Lati@s are legal.
Sazandora has a better Attack allowing it to function as a mixed Stall Breaker. Latios and Latias can't do that with 90 and 80 Attack, respectively.

Sazandora has much more potential as a stall breaker for one. A Mixed Set can easily take apart stall with a powerful Draco Meteor and Outrage. Then Fire Blast can be used for further coveredge to take out steels with relative ease. Lastly you have U-Turn to scout offensive teams. This makes Sazandora like an upgraded Flygon.

On the subject of U-Turn, this is what makes it a great scarfer. Like Flygon and Jirachi in Gen 4 a scarfer with a scout move like U-Turn was great to have. There is also the amazing power with Draco Meteor.

I think that a good Hydreigon (Sazandora) set is:

Hydreigon @Life Orb/Expert Belt
-Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
-Dark Pulse|Crunch
-Earthquake|Earth Power
-Fire Blast
EVs: 252 Sp Atk/156 Spd/80 Atk
Rash/Lonely Nature

Personally I prefer Rash. You need to choose between two cool attacks: Earth Power and Dark Pulse.
If you get Earth Power you must put Crunch. If you get Dark Pulse you must put Earthquake.
But if you can put both, cool.

Laterz.

I think the only real con to him is dealing with priority fighting-type moves and good sub-punchers, none of his ideal sets are super effective against mono-fightning Pokémon so he's banking on a meteor finish (which should OHKO after 2 or more layer spike damage for most mono-fighters)

Hydeigon is beast, but not uncounterable. Anything should be scared of Draco Meteor, except things like Nattorei. But then Nattorei has to watch out for Fire Blast. Earth power for Heatran and Empoleon, and then another move. Hydregon's only cuse is its typing. Being weak to Ice, Dragon, and Fighting is brutal, although Hydra can deal with all three. The speed is also slightly crippling, but not absolutely devastating.

What I wanna know is why Darmanitan/Hihidaruma isn't getting more use. Seriously, he can 2HKO Hippowdon with a CB Flare blitz. Also, he is immune to LO damage thanks to Encourage. What's the turnoff?

*Cringes at the idea of the hydra muppet's switch in on ground moves aimed at heatran from flygon*

I thought long and hard about using Darmanitan on a Drought team- with screens and massive HP (and your aforementioned points) he wrecks faces.

The only real turn off I had was that I'm worried about Shandra or Reuniclus and chose Nasty Plot Houndoom to take the prime setup spot in my team. If Darmanitan could learn Shadow Claw or Crunch he would've won the spot since Earthquake (Superpower if Balloon Heatran is popular) is my needed check for my other worry= Heatran.

It's sad, and time consuming, but Hidden Power Fighting and Vacuum Wave/Focus Blast Infernape are my only checks for that lava monster.

Also losing speed boost from nitro charge is sad, but baton pass speed boost blaziken could fix that (just gotta be careful on switch since they have some similar weaknesses)

Overall, I agree that he - or DD Feraligatr - are the best Sheer Force LO contenders.

Darmanitan sings the same song as Porygon-Z. Both are ridiculously strong and have great stats to take advantage of Choice items. The problem lies in their base Speed. At an almost trollish 95, Darmanitan gets outsped by a lot of stuff. Giving him a scarf remedies this, but then you lose a lot of KOs you need the band for (such as the aforementioned 2hko on Hippowdon).

The fact that he can 2hko Hippowdon with a neutrally effective physical attack is a testament to his strength, but his base Speed is what prevents him from being truly possible. If you don't want to rely on a scarf, try giving your team some paralysis support.

How you can chain Earth Power or Dark Pulse to Hydreigon? I want to have a Hydreigon with one of those moves and aren't any Pokémon that learn any of these attacks in its Egg Group.

For Dark Pulse, use Arbok or Seviper, then breed. For Earth Power you have to go through Garchomp.

How? Please tell me a complete chain. Arbok and Seviper only learn Dark Pulse by TM. And Garchomp only learns Earth Power by move tutor. I don't have any of the 4th gen games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back