Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions! I didn't know there were so many good options! I will take all of this into account when making my teams

Keeper of Night said:
Cinesra said:
So then it's just a bad Hippowdown?

Donphan has a unique variety of offensive and supportive moves that no other Pokemon can match, therefor trying to find a "better" or "worse" Donphan is simply impossible. If you are trying to imply that they fill the role better, then your statement is again subjective to the team said Pokemon is being placed on. Though given statistics, I cannot argue that Donphan fares better in UU at the moment, but then again, so does Hippowdon.

I can also recommend Mega Scizor as a good bulky and offensive Defog user.

^mega zor is really good

Donphan is a really bad pokemon. Excadrill performs Rapid Spin better, Hippowdon sets up rocks and is more physically (and specially) bulky, Mamoswine does Rocks + Ice Shard better, and to be honest, if you wanted something with both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, I'd argue that Forretress does that better.

It is technically true that there is no pokemon "exactly" like donphan in the sense that no pokemon has the combination of Rockers + Spin + Priority Ice Shard + STAB EQ + Sturdy. However that doesn't mean donphan is a good choice for your team. There's not a pokemon exactly like Leavanny or Electivire either, but they're still just not good pokemon. (In OU of course, if his team is UU then this is completely different.)

tl;dr - comparing donphan to any 1 specific pokemon is impossible but it's still a bad choice for ou at the moment

^There certainly are better choices (for the most part) in OU when it comes to spinners, and Donphan is clearly UU for those reasons. I was just pointing out that, like any other, the usage of a pokemon depends entirely on the team.

I am new to VGC and was wondering if there was any place where I could find sample teams for VGC?

I've not balled competitively in the video games before. Has anyone got any tips on the subject for me? Thanks in advance.

First learn about IVs and EVs. IVs aren't as important if you just use Showdown, but if you're battling on a 3ds, you'll need to learn them. Make sure your Pokemon have a variety of attack types; don't put 4 fire moves on Charizard for example.

Since this is a general discussion thread, and I don't feel it requires a post all to it's own: I'm super rusty at Competitive Battling, and I've missed a lot of what's happened over the past year. Any advice on how to break back into the scene?

This is more of a general question, but is it too late to get started in competitive VGC for this season to have a chance of making it to Worlds?

This is more of a general question, but is it too late to get started in competitive VGC for this season to have a chance of making it to Worlds?

No. Usually the cutoff point for earning championship points is right after Nationals. There is still lots of time to earn points.

I'm looking at getting into VGC this season too actually, is there any way to earn CP other than regionals and Nationals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back