Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

They ended fixing that like mid B2W2 Meta I wanna say.

Might have been a bit later than that, but yeah.

Remember, it's a questions topic. Don't wander too far off in other discussions.

I am a total noob when it comes to VGC, so don't judge me when I ask this question, do you need to EV and IV train for VGC.

NintendoAlian said:
I am a total newbie when it comes to VGC, so don't judge me when I ask this question, do you need to EV and IV train for VGC.

Short Answer: Yes.

Just as with all competitive Pokemon battling, having perfect IVs and a well though out EV spread is very important when playing because it prevents you from being disadvantaged against people who do. It is far more difficult for a Pokemon with a random EV spread and indeterminate IVs to survive certain attacks, or get key OHKOs, or outspeed an opposing threat.

In VGC especially, EV spreads are often very intricately crafted (unlike in singles, where generally a 4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed spread will serve most physical attackers perfectly fine) due to the very fast metagame.

That said, the whole process of EV training and IV breeding has been made MONUMENTALLY easier in gen 6 (XY and ORAS) due to a handful of new features. There is a wealth of guides around for how to do both and most of them offer easy to understand explanations.

Pokemons comeback

I was thinking if some pokemon that fell to UU like lucario, Arcanine, donphan,etc... can make a comeback and maybe rise to OU this game, what you guys think(lucario mainly)?

Some mons below OU can return to the tier, but the ones you listed have no chance. Donphan is completely outclassed by Excadrill as a spinner and Lando-T/Gliscor as a wall. Arcanine has no niche in OU that I can think of and you'd be better off using a Fire type like Heatran, Mega Charizard, or Victini. As for Lucario, gen 6 has not been kind to it with the introduction of Fairies and the mega powercreep. It suffers from serious 4mss and has lackluster speed, while you're better off using a mega like Lopunny, Gallade, Medicham, Heracross, etc.

Yeah the problem is that lucario got so pumped with his mega he went straight to ubers kkkkkk, any chance of mega lucario dropping to OU? What pokemons may rise as you said?

I would say there's little to no chance of Mega Luke dropping back down to OU. Mega Lucario is an extremely overpowered pokemon, and banning it was the right call. In addition, pokemon that are put up into ubers are very rarely dropped back down into OU. When they are, they usually come back with some kind of nerf (for example, when they unbanned Garchomp in BW, it was because they banned its best ability, Sand Veil.)

For pokemon rising up from UU to OU, there's always a chance of that happening. In fact, it's already happened in this generation. Slowbro, Mew, Bisharp, and Zapdos all started in UU this generation, and have since proven very useful in OU, so more people used them. The pokemon that do eventually rise up are typically pokemon that fulfill some kind of useful niche in the OU metagame that aren't fulfilled by other ones.

Mega Pidgeot

So I was looking a one of the new mega's to train and saw pidgeot, I've always loved pidgeots design but before now he was very poor competively however I thought if he has a mega he must be much better now. So I looked up sets and a lot of people said don't bother using him he's poor which upset me a little because I was hoping with a Meg he would be good. Anyway I thought hey why not breed one and EV train him and so forth I mean no harm is it and I'm so glad I did because this thing is a absolute beast for me. Stab hurricanes just tear things down as well as the more inexperienced players not realising he carries heat wave so he catches many people of guard. I've also found out he's a pretty good check to aegislash as he 2 HKO's him with heat wave and aegislash can't kill in one with iron head or secret sword and can't touch him with shadow sneak. Anyway just wanted to tell people the power of mega pidgeot.

RE: Mega Pidgeot

Colezy said:
So I was looking a one of the new mega's to train and saw pidgeot, I've always loved pidgeots design but before now he was very poor competively however I thought if he has a mega he must be much better now. So I looked up sets and a lot of people said don't bother using him he's poor which upset me a little because I was hoping with a Meg he would be good. Anyway I thought hey why not breed one and EV train him and so forth I mean no harm is it and I'm so glad I did because this thing is a absolute beast for me. Stab hurricanes just tear things down as well as the more inexperienced players not realising he carries heat wave so he catches many people of guard. I've also found out he's a pretty good check to aegislash as he 2 HKO's him with heat wave and aegislash can't kill in one with iron head or secret sword and can't touch him with shadow sneak. Anyway just wanted to tell people the power of mega pidgeot.
Mega Pidgeot is great as a standalone Pokemon but underwhelming as a Mega Evolution, with thin defenses, a SR weakness, and average special attack. However, Pidgeot does have No Guard, great coverage, recovery, and blistering speed, so it is usable albeit rare. Overall, if you dedicate a team to it, Pidgeot shines, but other Megas give it a lot of competition.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog / HP Ground / U-turn

That's about what Pidgeot can do best. Hurricane and Heat Wave get perfect accuracy, Defog provides hazard control, U-turn provides momentum, and HP Ground smacks all of the types that resist Flying.

About Aegislash, you might see it on WiFi, but it's Ubers online. I suppose you mean the former, in which case Pidgeot does handle it well.

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
^^He may be talking about VGC
Okay, in that case...

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Protect

This is what Pidgeot can do in VGC. You'd primarily pick it for its unique coverage, the power of its STAB move, and access to such a fast Tailwind. But again, other Megas are to be considered first unless you really want to build a team around this one (No Guard does offer teambuilding incentive in VGC I suppose).

RE: Mega Pidgeot

Uralya said:
Colezy said:
Mega Pidgeot is great as a standalone Pokemon but underwhelming as a Mega Evolution, with thin defenses, a SR weakness, and average special attack. However, Pidgeot does have No Guard, great coverage, recovery, and blistering speed, so it is usable albeit rare. Overall, if you dedicate a team to it, Pidgeot shines, but other Megas give it a lot of competition.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog / HP Ground / U-turn

That's about what Pidgeot can do best. Hurricane and Heat Wave get perfect accuracy, Defog provides hazard control, U-turn provides momentum, and HP Ground smacks all of the types that resist Flying.

About Aegislash, you might see it on WiFi, but it's Ubers online. I suppose you mean the former, in which case Pidgeot does handle it well.

Yeah i do keep meeting him in the Wi-Fi battle spot as thats really all the battling I do because bar battling my friends and brother as I can't seem to find any people to battle 6v6, anyway I do run the set you mentioned but because I do 3v3 battling and don't run into SR I actually run Hyper Beam as my last moveslot just so I can bring Pidgeot in when I'm 1v1 for the battle and clean up as generally unless their last Pokémon resist it its normally a OHKO.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Hyper Voice

I have been using this, and on some occasions, I sweep a whole team. The problem is Scizor Bullet Punch. I need help making a team around this sweeper of a Sylveon.

So regarding Sanctioned POP! tournaments rules, is there literally no reason to move pokemon from old games (not xy) onto ORAS?

Valex said:
So regarding Sanctioned POP! tournaments rules, is there literally no reason to move pokemon from old games (not xy) onto ORAS?

At the moment no. However, next season's rules WILL require players to use ORAS carts for play.

EDIT: Actually, you can transfer Pokemon onto ORAS for the sake of teaching them tutor moves, and then transfer them back. That would be a valid justification.

Auride said:
Valex said:

At the moment no. However, next season's rules WILL require players to use ORAS carts for play.

EDIT: Actually, you can transfer Pokemon onto ORAS for the sake of teaching them tutor moves, and then transfer them back. That would be a valid justification.

I should've mentioned that I mean for when ORAS is tourny standard, I should've phrased my question so that it was suitable for current format.

Is there any point of moving pokemon from past game onto X/Y right now (and the future ORAS), seeing as the pokemon have to be from the national dex, and bred on the cart itself, not xferred regardless if they are on the national dex or not?

Valex said:
I should've mentioned that I mean for when ORAS is tourny standard, I should've phrased my question so that it was suitable for current format.

Is there any point of moving pokemon from past game onto X/Y right now (and the future ORAS), seeing as the pokemon have to be from the national dex, and bred on the cart itself, not xferred regardless if they are on the national dex or not?

In the current format, transferring Pokemon from past gens for use in tournaments would be against the rules because such Pokemon would not be bread, born, or received via mystery gift in a Gen 6 game this can be checked by seeing if the Pokemon has a Blue Pentagon on its summary screen. These Pokemon are allowed to be used. Pokemon lacking the blue pentagon are banned. This carries into the recently revealed VGC 2015 ruleset as well, which will be effected January 1st, 2015 onwards.

However, there is still a rational justification for transferring Pokemon from past generations to XY in the 2014 ruleset. For one, there are some moves exclusive to Pokemon that cannot be acquired in these games (such as Darkrai's Dark Void) which can still be made use of by a Blue Pentagon Smeargle. Additionally, Pokemon with egg moves and hidden abilities which cannot be naturally found in X and Y can still be used by passing them on via breeding, as the new Pokemon would have a Blue Pentagon due to being born in Kalos. An example of this might by Zigzagoon/Linoone with Quick Feet (its Hidden Ability). There is no way to acquire a Hidden Ability Linoone in X and Y, but you can breed from a parent transferred from gen 5 and still use it in contest.

I hope that cleared things up a bit.

I knew about the whole blue pentagon deal, which is why I wondered what the point was of moving pokemon from olders game would be from a competitive stand point, I guess move breeding and IV breeding are the only reasons :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back