Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

What I meant is that you could get perfect IVs without using something like an Action Replay. I don't RNG because I don't know how plus I judge VGC at Nationals anyway so there is no reason for me to try and get an absolutely perfect team.

DNA to the rescue

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/

There's a lot of reading involved and you'll have to download a certain program (RNG Reporter), but the info's all there.

Thanks for the help, but I'm having some trouble with the making the profile section. I downloaded RNG Reporter 9.96.4 BETA. It asks for my secret ID, a DS MAC address, and several other fields I don't even know what they mean, much less how to obtain them.

In the link DNA provided you have all thse information. It is difficult and long to read but it will be worth it. If you still don't know how to do it there are many guides on the internet so you can learn how. Also you can always ask us.

I'm still having trouble frinding the DS parameters. I followed all of the instructions at http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/bw_rng_part1, and when I hit search, I get nothing. Where could the error be coming from? What time do put in the hours, minutes, seconds fields? When you start the game or when you catch the stationary legendary? I've done both and have gotten no results both times.

Here's a few errors you might have experienced:

• Make sure you're using military time (eg. 8:00 P.M. is actually 20:00)
  • Make sure you have the correct MAC Address
  • Make sure your time is correctly synchronized with an external clock with a seconds reading (you need to know the time on your DS clock when you synchronize it)
  • Make sure you're using a DS, not a DSi or 3DS (I know it sounds stupid but lots of people do this)
  • Make sure you don't move at all when you search for a Pokemon (use Sweet Scent or capture a stationary)
  • Make sure the C-Gear is turned OFF (if you're doing non C-Gear abuse)
  • Use this pic to figure out where you put your info

I can help you with further instruction if you need any help. If you need simple step-by-step instruction, then ask me.

Somehow, the clock was a minute behind after synchronization. I've fixed that problem, gotten my seed, and used it to find the frames, but I haven't gotten it to work. It should have been a flawless IV spread. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I could post screen shots later if necessary, but I am unable to do so at this point. I'm wondering if I calibrated the DS parameters correctly. Just to confirm, when you are calibrating, the time you launch the game is the time that goes in the time field.

The time (seconds) you press the button that goes to the game field (in this case, the "No" option for turning on the C-Gear) is the time you write down in the parameters. So yes, that would be correct. All you need to do is this:

1) Synchronize your DS with an external clock (make sure you synchronize it at the next minute / 60th second so it is consistent)
2) Save in front of the stationary / Sweet Scent patch (only need to do this once)
3) Soft reset your game, and mash the A button until you get to the screen (be careful to not turn on the C-Gear)
4) Catch the Pokemon
5) Enter the parameters (hour in military time, minute, and seconds, and don't forget the correct date; hopefully your DS has the correct date on it), the IV spread (you could use Metalkidd's IV Calculator), Nature, Level, and Stats into the RNG Reporter, plus any other info you might need (eg. the MAC Address, the Version of the game and the system, and whatever else I might have forgotten)

If you still don't get any results, then there must be a problem with the date, the synchronize time, and/or the reset time. There could be some other random issue that I'm not aware of. If there's still some trouble, then I'll need to see some screenshots.

The Yoshi said:
The time (seconds) you press the button that goes to the game field (in this case, the "No" option for turning on the C-Gear)

You mean the "Yes" option for the 'Are you sure you don't want to turn on the C-Gear?' message.

I actually meant when you power on the console and see Black/White 2 over Pictochat and Download Play (DS Lite). I tried using the time when you select "Yes" for the initial calabration, and it didn't find any seeds. It finds exactly one seed when I do it with the time you select Black/White 2 from the console's start up screen.

This is what I got when I recalibrated it using the time when the game actually starts, and the place where you last saved and the stationary Pokemon is drawn. And of course, I followed the rest of your instructions exactly.

[attachment=6845]

Note: Just realized I still don't have my secret ID; the RNG guide made no mention of it at all.

Mora said:
You mean the "Yes" option for the 'Are you sure you don't want to turn on the C-Gear?' message.

Yes.

Let me try to explain this another way with an example.

Let's say I'm beginning to RNG. The first step is synchronizing my time with an external clock (it's good to write the times down somewhere so you know you're filling it in correctly). My clock says 15:08 (3:08 P.M.). That means my synchronize time will be the exact time that I started the game on the DS screen (preferably the next minute, and in this case, it would be 15:09).

I synchronize to 15:08 with the external clock, wait until 15:09:00, and at that second I select my game (make sure you note the time you selected the game - this is the time you enter into the RNG Reporter).

On the RNG Reporter, I select "DS Parameters Search", then I leave it alone until I catch my Pokemon. You should probably catch a Pokemon using Sweet Scent in a cave such as Giant Chasm so NPCs (non-playable characters) and Shaking Spots don't screw it up.

Once I catch the Pokemon (using a Master Ball is fine), I use the IV Calculator and enter the IVs (or IV Range; for example, if the Pokemon I caught had 14-15 IVs in HP, the Min would be 14 and the Max would be 15), Nature, Stats, Level, Version of my game, my MAC Address, DS Type, and the exact time that I selected the game on the DS Screen (make sure the date is correct as well; like I said, writing everything down helps).

If this still doesn't work, please give me the error that the RNG Reporter experienced when you tried to hit "Search" for the Parameters. This step takes practice, because you have to have this under your belt before you can RNG, since you will use this process every time you RNG for Perfect/Shiny/whatever Pokemon. This was so much easier in 4th Gen >.>

I repeated the process again. I double checked that the time was in sync with an accurate clock with a seconds display. I selected "Yes" at exactly 9:30:00 am, so the time would still be 9:30:00. I immeadiately initiated a battle with Virizion and used the Master Ball. I used the IV calculator within the program and imported the stats directly to the fields. Rechecked all of the fields like the MAC address. What happens is you hit "search", and the window with the progress bar comes up and fills up completely with "0 found" and then disappears leaving no seeds generated.

I have only successfully RNG'd once, and It wasn't even entirely right. Try re-calibrating your DS, maybe your parameters aren't what you think they are.

That's what all of the above is: trying to do the initial calibration. I cant even do that part it seems.

http://blazingblyde.tumblr.com/post/4545145693/blyde-rng-guide

This is a very good guide. I sugest you use it. Also, BW2 RNG is different from BW1 so you could be setting things up wrong. that guide is for BW1.

Also, if your not using a DS/DS lite I suggest that you do, since RNG on anything else is too untrustworthy.

Hey, something I can help with!

Mora said:
Thanks for the help, but I'm having some trouble with the making the profile section. I downloaded RNG Reporter 9.96.4 BETA. It asks for my secret ID, a DS MAC address, and several other fields I don't even know what they mean, much less how to obtain them.

Yeah, profiles are a bit of a thing to get used to. Basically, just find your DS Parameters how every guide tells you, and then Send Results To Profile. Save the profile, and select it when using Time Finder.

The Yoshi said:
Make sure you're using a DS, not a DSi or 3DS (I know it sounds stupid but lots of people do this)

As of some time ago, as long as you use the DSi or 3DS settings, you can use either quite reliably. You may possibly have to deal with a more bipolar Timer0 than normal or something, but I've been using my DSi for a while now.

The Yoshi said:
3) Soft reset your game, and mash the A button until you get to the screen (be careful to not turn on the C-Gear)

I've never found my parameters by soft-resetting, but don't mash A until you see the Game Freak logo, whatever you do. I suppose a brief press wouldn't do anything, but you don't want the possibility of keypresses interfering with things.

I don't have much to post, but here's an excerpt... from something... coming soon! ;)

Select your Version and DS Type from the dropdown menus (in the red rectangle). Paste in your MAC address (the dashes will disappear; pretend the one in the screenshot fills the whole field). Pick any date and time (in the black rectangle), but put 30 in seconds for simplicity.

Now that RNGReporter is prepped, have Chatot and your Sweet Scenter in your party, and go to a place where you can find high-levelled wild Pokemon with no wandering NPCs. The last cave of Victory Road (with Cheren) is recommended as it’s close to a Pokemon Center. Save your game, and hard reset (Get out of the game; DS Phat/Lite users turn their system off, DSi users press their power button, 3DS users go back to the home menu).

Now, set the date and time you picked earlier as your DS’s date and time but DO NOT confirm the time yet! That would start the seconds count, which would disrupt the process.

Next, open up EonTimer. This is a helpful tool for timing the boots of your games. You could just use the DS Phat/Lite’s analog clock, or you could sync your DS’s time to an external clock. But EonTimer will do that in a neat interface, with adjustments that might have to be made later. Coming from someone who used to use their DS Lite clock, I recommend EonTimer.

Opening%20up%20EonTimer.PNG

Put 30 in the Target Seconds field, or whatever you set your seconds to in RNGReporter. Make sure Standard mode is selected, though it should be already.

Now comes the trickiest part of the whole process. At the same time, click Start on EonTimer, and confirm the time on your DS (DS Phat/Lite users press A, everyone else taps something). This will start EonTimer’s countdown, and your DS’s clock at the time you set. Now, go back to your system’s menu, and get ready to start your game. As soon as the countdown finishes, boot your game.

Since we’re doing Standard abuse, this is the most timely thing you’ll have to do in the whole process, and this is only down the second. Mind you, you’ll have to do this each time you RNG, but still. This is it.

Take care not hold any buttons while the game is booting. Once the Game Freak shooting star thing shows up, you’re good, and you can start the game like usual. But make sure you don’t start the C-Gear! The entirety of Standard abuse depends on it.

Cooltrainer Alan said:
http://blazingblyde.tumblr.com/post/4545145693/blyde-rng-guide

This is a very good guide. I sugest you use it. Also, BW2 RNG is different from BW1 so you could be setting things up wrong. that guide is for BW1.

Also, if your not using a DS/DS lite I suggest that you do, since RNG on anything else is too untrustworthy.

I'm so confused. This method (the one where you put the time you start the game from the DS home screen) generates exactly one seed everytime I do it, and I get the same results, but when I actually try to RNG with them, it doesn't work. I can't seem to hit the seed. I've tried it without keypresses and without advancing the frame to see if it's either of those I'm doing wrong. And yes, I'm using the DS Lite. I'll see if I can get another screenshot.

Also, are we sure the Secret ID has nothing to do with it?

[attachment=6847]

Mora said:

Yeah, I forgot to say this: The SID was integral for RNGing in 3rd and 4th Gens, but for 5th Gen abuse, it's only needed for shinies.

Chariblaze said:
Mora said:

Yeah, I forgot to say this: The SID was integral for RNGing in 3rd and 4th Gens, but for 5th Gen abuse, it's only needed for shinies.

I thought that's all the SID was ever used for. At least that's how it was in my Emerald. I never needed my SID for anything except shinies. I could RNG for IVs and stuff with just my Trainer ID.

One Approved said:
Chariblaze said:

I thought that's all the SID was ever used for. At least that's how it was in my Emerald. I never needed my SID for anything except shinies. I could RNG for IVs and stuff with just my Trainer ID.

Maybe not 3rd Gen (not sure why else you'd need a caught shiny), but definitely 4th Gen (though your SID was very easy to get at that point).

Ok, how do NPC's and shaking spots effect the process? I can't seem to get away from both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back