3DS Discussion Thread

I'm liking the retro look of the new Zelda. While I love the Wind Waker style to no end, I think this is a far more fitting look for an ALttP sequel. I'm very excited to see what they do with it.

The Mario Golf multiplayer is intriguing as well. I'm wondering how they'll handle ragequits...

@Amphy, yes, you should get Animal Crossing. It's the only game that makes drowning in debt fun.

The Nintendo Direct on YouTube

News and comments (with some help from Nintendo Life's liveblog):

• Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is hitting August 11th. Can't wait. And if I were paying attention during the February Direct, I would have seen that this is structured like BIS, where you're going between the normal and dream worlds. Good.
  • Mario Golf World Tour will be online with communities similar to MK7. There'll also be large-scale tournaments that kinda work like the MK Wii stuff, where people submit their scores for a certain hole.
  • We were just discussing it, and it's actually happening: Mario Party 3DS! :D Coming this winter.
  • New Super Luigi U coming in summer. It'll be using the same world maps as the normal game, but will completely change the levels. Luigi will handle more like he does in SMW, so he'll be able to jump higher and be a bit slipperier on the ground. Also, the timer will on 100 for every level. :S
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is hitting May 24th (as we knew) with a "New Mode" with increased health and helpful items. Yeah, it's basically an easier mode designed around portable play, but "Original Mode" will still be in. And there'll be a brand-new World 9, so that'll be cool.
  • New Yoshi's Island on 3DS, looks amazing. Here's hoping it'll be better received than Yoshi's Island DS.
  • Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move is coming May 9th, a bit sooner than some thought. Looks neat, they explained a bit more on what's going on.
  • The Spring Wii U update is coming to a console near you next week. In addition to the way faster loading times, you'll be able to:
    • Hook up two USB drives and transfer software and data between them.
    • Automatically download games while you're playing other games (a feature I believe was already in, but I suppose it'll work much better).
    • Automatically receive updates on games.
    • Press the B button during startup to go to directly to Wii Mode.
    • Download software while the system is turned off (presumably how Wii's standby mode worked with WiiConnect24 messages [R.I.P. :(]).
  • Virtual Console will officially launch next week after the update (Sizzle Reel).
  • N64 games confirmed for Wii U VC, no word on upgrade cost.
  • Wii U Panorama View finally coming next week as a free download...that is, free as in Zen Pinball 2. There's some free samplings of the various tours, and each tour will cost $2 in full.
  • Winged Pikmin will be a new type of Pikmin in Pikmin 3.
    • Later, Nintendo stated that Pikmin 3 will be released on August 4th.
  • As said by others, Earthbound will finally be coming to NA/EU Wii U VC sometime this year, apparently partially due to the outcries of fans on Miiverse after the January announcement for Japan. Win for the Mother community, no more $80 cartridges! Glad they figured out whatever copyright issues they had. Now we just need Mother 3...
  • Game and Wario finally hitting NA on June 23rd.
  • New Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins trailer. Some reviews have just been pushed, seems technical issues might be a snag. :/
  • As said, that snazzy Animal Crossing 3DS XL is releasing in NA for $220. Makes me hopeful for an XY 3DS XL.
  • The Oracle games are releasing on May 30th.
  • Bravely Default actually coming overseas in 2014!
  • Professor Layton 6 also coming in 2014.
  • The Guild02 games are coming over sometime this year, as some speculated with the sale going on Guild01 games this week.
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV is hitting July 16th. Every copy in the first run will include a soundtrack, guide, artbook, and more.
  • And Reggie makes the big announcement: The new Zelda on 3DS, of course.
    • More climactic than the DKCR3D announcement last time, heh.
    • It's in the same "world" as Link to the Past, and I *believe* that's the same Link (he looks similiar to the concept art).
    • It's basically a new 2D game, but there's a lot of height changing going on to take advantage of the 3D.
    • Link can become a drawing to navigate within walls. It seems kinda random for a game returning to Link to the Past, but maybe not; it is the kinda thing you'd see in 2D Zelda.
    • Redone Hyrule theme sounds amazing.
    • Like DKCR3D, there's a downloadable video on the eShop.
    • Game is coming this holiday.
    • After some Miyamoto comments a year or so back about Link to the Past and 3DS, many have speculated that the game would eventually be remade. Some thought it'd be the first real Zelda 3DS game, and that'd it be something new. Well, the latter were correct. :p
  • Nintendo put up the Circle Pad Pro for 3DS XL on their store very quietly today. Yeah, it's been in EU news for a while, but it's nice to know NA won't be left out.

So much good stuff hitting this year! :O

Robot said:
The new mario Party also looks fun, but it might be a pass considering Animal Crossing is also coming out.

It's not releasing until winter, I think you have some time. :p

I am writing this post while watching the new Nintendo Direct

Dream Team: Looks ok. It may look better to fans of the specific series, but not one of those games where im like WOW, IM PREORDERING THAT NOW!

Mario Golf: The most intriguing part about this is the multiplayer. Other than that, I dont see myself paying $40 for it.

Mario Party: YES! Robot, you and me man, we are getting this. May be worth the preorder. Still not sure yet. Waiting for rest of the show.

Donkey Kong Country: Not so sure where I stand on this. The visuals look pretty good, and the New Mode is pulling me in more and more. I am just not a huge fan of the series. Chances are if I buy one of these games, it will be a "Mario and Luigi" game.

Yoshi Island: Nope. Did not like what I saw in the video. If they have a demo, I may try it, but it just does not seem like something I would spend $40 on.

New Zelda: Looks pretty awesome. Im going to wait for more details on it though. May get it for Chanukah this year.

Im really liking the Shin Megami Tensei and Animal Crossing bundles though.

When I made my post, I didn't see any footage from Zelda 3DS: all I saw was that there was one announced. If I can sum it up in a sentence, oh god I need this game NOW. I love the art style the best out of ther games (I don't particuarly like pixels or polygons, the cell-shading in Wind Waker was okay, I hate the 'realistic' look Twilight Princess was going for, so the art style I like the best (until this) was Skyward Sword). My favorite bit has to be the bird's-eye view style of gameplay though. We haven't had one in a good while (I think) and I personally like it better than some of the other ways these games have gone. The theme sounds great too. This will probably end up being a day one purchase for me. :D

Also, while I'm on the topic of LoZ, I'll probably get Oracle of Ages when it comes out for Virtual Console. I've heard plenty of good things about it before. I might as well also get Link's Awakening for Virtual Console too just so I can have as many Zelda games on my 3DS as possible. :p

dmaster said:
I'm wary of people calling it a sequel.

I guess I'll have to backtrack on this. I read somewhere that they outright called it a sequel in the Japanese version of Nintendo Direct. I don't know how I feel about that because I honestly didn't like what they did from WW -> PH -> ST, but I guess I'll live simply because the game looks tons better on the 3DS. Anybody who hasn't seen the downloadable video should because YouTube does not even do it justice.

dmaster out.

The only game that really interests me is Yoshi's Island 3DS, but I might like Mario and Luigi Dream Team, Professor Layton, and the new Zelda game for 3DS as well.

dmaster said:
dmaster said:
I'm wary of people calling it a sequel.

I guess I'll have to backtrack on this. I read somewhere that they outright called it a sequel in the Japanese version of Nintendo Direct. I don't know how I feel about that because I honestly didn't like what they did from WW -> PH -> ST, but I guess I'll live simply because the game looks tons better on the 3DS. Anybody who hasn't seen the downloadable video should because YouTube does not even do it justice.

dmaster out.

You got it right. Was looking at some Japanese game forums and they are calling it a sequel. Although you never use Wikipedia as definitive proof I saw on the wiki page it listed as LoZ" LTTP 2. A sequel it seems is the correct word.

Phoenix EX said:
Tons of exciting new games! And let's not forget that the Smash Bros 3DS beta releases in 2 months!

Proof of this?

Every two months. Sometimes there are specials too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Direct_shows

ThatPokemonCollector said:
Yeah, it was a big announcement, loads of great games and content. How often are they ? once a year or once every 3 months or so ?

Yeah traditionally all of this stuff would pretty much be once a year, at E3. I mean, the Zelda stuff probably would have been a big highlight of this year's E3 presentation. Now, E3 will be more of want people kind of want it for: Maybe one or two fairly big announcements, and then just trailers upon trailers upon trailers.

Yeah, I prefer being updated throughout the year about upcoming games, rather than at one event. It's also better, I mean they would of had to show 3 Zelda games at E3 this year .

PMJ said:
Phoenix EX said:
Tons of exciting new games! And let's not forget that the Smash Bros 3DS beta releases in 2 months!

Proof of this?

I'm not quite sure why they specifically chose the word beta since demos aren't quite the same, but one can assume that it will be at E3 in some playable form or fashion. Me being a pessimist, I expect nothing more than screenshots/possibly video as promised in the January Nintendo Direct, but that's just me.

Anyways, Direct was awesome and I want every game they showed off. I hate not being rich It's going to be hard choosing between games.

I think the games that interest me the most are the new Zelda game, Donkey Kong Country (this one especially) and Dream Team. If I do well in the final semester, I may get "Tokyo Tale" and "Super Mario Bros." downloaded on my 3DS.

I'm getting this Zelda game for sure. The other games seem pretty exciting however. It's funny, I didn't expect a Direct to have so many announcements.

Out of all the things announced there, I'm most excited for Earthbound coming to Wii U.

As 3DS goes, I'm for sure going to get the Shin Megami Tensei IV special edition, all that stuff for 50$ is worth it. Also interested in Bravely Default, after watching some gameplay of the Japanese version it looks good. Link to the Past 2 I'll probably get too, I loved the world of the first one. Probably going to get DKC Returns 3D if its 30-35 dollars, never played the Wii one and it looks a lot of fun. Probably going to get Mario and Luigi Dream Team eventually, but not at launch.(the only one I played was the first one)

Back