(1) New Tree-like Pokemon Before Genesect Film [7/13]

Jakeremix said:
xayshade said:
ok bruh

lets say that to all the tree pokemon that have ground types as a secondary type, since they have so much to do with it and ground would be the obvious second type

*looks at torterra that has whole ecosystem not a tree*
*looks at you*

I have no clue what point you're trying to make.

no one understands your point so there

xayshade said:
Lex said:
So if the real live animal that the Pokemon is based off of lives in a dusty environment or lives underground, or lives in the mud, or basks on land it's a reasonable Ground type? But not trees that have roots underground.

Causing a lot of damage isn't that big of a reason (nor being similar to Pokemon species of another type). Also, Numel and Camerupt being based off of molten rock would make it Rock type, I think it's Ground because it's a camel and camels live in the desert (which furthers my case actually).

(if anyone brings up the fact that this tree can walk, so far the basis for it being a Ground type was not where the Pokemon lived but where its real live counterpart lived)

you know what else has a connection to volcanos and is ground? he was a legendary, gen 3 I think, look him up

And the only thing that connect tree to the earth is the roots, which is a reason why Grass has an advantage over ground, nothing else.

Those examples that actively interact with the ground and mud giving them a solid connection, All trees grow in the ground? therefore having roots in ground is not solid argument. Those environments are usually dry, dusty, sandstorms, muddy, extremely hot, and the mud is needed to keep cool. Trees just suck the nutrients, and grow most anywhere besides deserts, like forests (grass) mangroves (water) snowy areas (ice), but they all come out the ground
Groudon is the Continent Pokémon, that covers a lot of ground. "Groudon is thought to have been the creator of land in the Pokémon world."

Grass type Pokemon already use a few Ground type moves. (like Dig, Earthquake, Bulldoze)

I don't see your point. Would an earthworm make a good Ground type? Even though it gets nutrients from the ground?

And was Cubone already mentioned? If not, why is Cubone Ground? (all his naturally learned Ground type moves were created just for it and all the TM Ground type moves it can learn, a Grass type can too)

xayshade said:
lets say that to all the tree pokemon that have ground types as a secondary type, since they have so much to do with it and ground would be the obvious second type

You can validate that there is a Water type alligator, and a Ground/Dark type crocodile, and that they both make sense. Just because the animal/plant/creature something is based off of has a connection to a certain...environment, doesn't mean they all have to be typed that way.

DNA said:
I'm still waiting for Jake to calm down and lower his volume.

Really? You're going to ignore the other members' badgering for the past few pages. Really? I'm disappointed.

Really? You're going to ignore the other members' badgering for the past few pages. Really? I'm disappointed.
Everyone else was easier to tune out.

Grass type Pokemon already use a few Ground type moves. (like Dig, Earthquake, Bulldoze)
Case-by-case basis, actually. Ground-type moves are not very common on Grass-types at all. Any ones that do are either large or have some connotation with the ground anyway, or the move is easy enough to execute for them (Dig).

Just out of interest, I did a search of what Grass-types get those moves, and I got this:
Bulldoze: Abomasnow, Arceus (Meadow Plate), Cradily, Ferrothorn, Meganium, Sceptile, Tangrowth, Torterra, Tropius, Venusaur
Dig: Grovyle, Leafeon, Nuzleaf, Pansage, Sceptile, Seedot, Shiftry, Simisage, Treecko
Earthquake: Abomasnow, Arceus (Meadow Plate), Cradily, Meganium, Sceptile, Tangrowth, Torterra, Tropius, Venusaur

All of the above are learned via TM, save for Torterra learning Earthquake (at level 32). And this list was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The Bulldoze and Earthquake lists are identical, except that Ferrothorn cannot learn Earthquake.

While it's true that Grass-types do get Ground-type moves, sometimes, it is not because of any innate connection with the ground they might have. For Bulldoze and Earthquake, it's generally sheer size (being able to create such tremors), and for Dig, it's just the ability to dig one's self into the ground. (Seedot is the odd one, but it's based on an acorn, which must be planted in the ground to grow, for it is a seed.)

...which means there's nearly no correlation between type and moves learned - in fact, moves learned tend to be based on other characteristics, usually - mostly physical, but others possibly mental (like Gliscor learning Power Trick).

omg, are you guys still on the ground type issue after what 4 pages? I stopped coming back to this thread after you started cause it made me facepalm so hard I didn't even want to comment till now.

I am at loss of words really how anyone could associate this new pokemon, or at least the info we have so far, with Ground, even remotely.
Trees have roots in the ground? Geez, that's why 90% of the plant based pokemon are Grass/Ground right?
Heck I could see your point, if it wasn't for the fact that WE KNOW THIS ONE WALKS LIKE A SPIDER.

As for the "what does Ground type even represent?" topic, I've started to look at it less as an earth element (after all, unlike Rock it doesn't actually limit itself to certain kinds of materials...what matters is having the ground to be somewhat firm), and more as a strategy, knowing how to use solid ground to their advantage, whether its hiding in it, shaking it, skidding it in the opponents face etc.
Its the opposite of Flying.
Gliscor, then simply being a master of both strategies.
It doesn't need to be on the ground and it doesn't need to be in the air, it just knows how to use those two to its advantage.

Just because its on the ground, and a tree, doesn't mean a thing and the only type that's probably safe to assume is Grass.

DNA said:
Everyone else was easier to tune out.

Hahaha fair enough. XD

DNA said:
Case-by-case basis, actually. Ground-type moves are not very common on Grass-types at all. Any ones that do are either large or have some connotation with the ground anyway, or the move is easy enough to execute for them (Dig).

Just out of interest, I did a search of what Grass-types get those moves, and I got this:
Bulldoze: Abomasnow, Arceus (Meadow Plate), Cradily, Ferrothorn, Meganium, Sceptile, Tangrowth, Torterra, Tropius, Venusaur
Dig: Grovyle, Leafeon, Nuzleaf, Pansage, Sceptile, Seedot, Shiftry, Simisage, Treecko
Earthquake: Abomasnow, Arceus (Meadow Plate), Cradily, Meganium, Sceptile, Tangrowth, Torterra, Tropius, Venusaur

All of the above are learned via TM, save for Torterra learning Earthquake (at level 32). And this list was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The Bulldoze and Earthquake lists are identical, except that Ferrothorn cannot learn Earthquake.

While it's true that Grass-types do get Ground-type moves, sometimes, it is not because of any innate connection with the ground they might have. For Bulldoze and Earthquake, it's generally sheer size (being able to create such tremors), and for Dig, it's just the ability to dig one's self into the ground. (Seedot is the odd one, but it's based on an acorn, which must be planted in the ground to grow, for it is a seed.)

...which means there's nearly no correlation between type and moves learned - in fact, moves learned tend to be based on other characteristics, usually - mostly physical, but others possibly mental (like Gliscor learning Power Trick).

Mud-slap is another one. Earth Power (that's kind of an innate connection?). Sand-Attack. Spikes. 6/17 Ground type moves.

I just don't think a Grass/Ground type based on a plant (especially a big one) is so off base, and I think its roots is a legitimate connection. Some people don't, and that's fine, but I don't see why they're being aggressive to those that do.

Mud-Slap and Sand-Attack would probably be more common, because how hard is it to slap mud or sand in one's eye? And not just Grass-types get it. The vast majority of all Pokemon get those moves. Earth Power would be a bit tricky, though. (I really don't feel like looking up what Grass-types get that; my last post took me about 15 minutes just to get that info :p )

Not trying to be harsh. I personally don't care one way or the other as I'm not a fan of speculation anyway. I can think of one tree that, if made into a Pokemon, would be either Grass/Ground or Grass/Fairy, and that would be Yggdrasil.

...Grass/Fairy Yggdrasil evo for Ourotto gogogogogo

DNA said:
Mud-Slap and Sand-Attack would probably be more common, because how hard is it to slap mud or sand in one's eye? And not just Grass-types get it. The vast majority of all Pokemon get those moves. Earth Power would be a bit tricky, though. (I really don't feel like looking up what Grass-types get that; my last post took me about 15 minutes just to get that info :p )

Not trying to be harsh. I personally don't care one way or the other as I'm not a fan of speculation anyway. I can think of one tree that, if made into a Pokemon, would be either Grass/Ground or Grass/Fairy, and that would be Yggdrasil.

XD

I can respect that. ;)

To some of the previous posters, quit arguing about the Ground type and move on. It's going in circles and it's not getting anywhere.

DNA said:

The Grass type pokemon that get earth power are as follows:
Sunflora
Torterra
Celebi
Cradily
Shaymin

Edit: all of those pokemon learn it either by breeding or move tutor.

I'm still wondering why there are so many different versions considering there was only ONE CLIP.

Ohman177 said:
I'm still wondering why there are so many different versions considering there was only ONE CLIP.

Probably because they were all doodled after the film, not during (I imagine it would be too dark).
It was probably only shown for a few seconds, not long enough for everyone to get an exact idea of it and commit it to memory. One person incorrectly remembers it with a jagged mouth, perhaps; maybe another person thought they remembered it having foliage on its hands, and still another person doesn't remember any hands at all. The result is what we have now: A bunch of varying designs that all still have some resemblance to one another. d:

The Pokemon appears for literally, and I mean literally, 2 seconds. Look at something you have never seen for two seconds and then see how good your memory is, lol. And it's in a hoard battle, so it's even harder to make out its details because there's 5 of them in comparison to just one in a head-on view. The most recent drawing going around is indeed accurate (having seen the movie a second time, I can confirm that), but the person who created the artwork undoubtedly took a photo of it in the theater to get that level of detail.

I honestly don't understand why the possibility of it being ground is being shot down SO HARSHLY...like I get it's not LIKELY but a lot of people are making it seem like the guy who suggested it is just THE STUPIDEST THING IN THE WORLD for daring to even think it's a possibility...Real life logic doesn't always apply to Pokemon...As mentioned, there are pokemon that their type doesn't make sense...Just like Inkay and Malimar are NOT even part water...Can we please stop with the belittling..especially about a Pokemon that we have NO info on besides hand drawn sketches...

On a side note, I really like the eeriness this tree-pokemon will have. Assuming it's a grass type, it will likely be on my team but I will ahve to wait and see all the Pokemon for this gen. JUST THREE MORE MONTHS

Ohman177 said:

As I mentioned before, there's probably a few different forms.

Zaqix said:
I honestly don't understand why the possibility of it being ground is being shot down SO HARSHLY...like I get it's not LIKELY but a lot of people are making it seem like the guy who suggested it is just THE STUPIDEST THING IN THE WORLD for daring to even think it's a possibility...Real life logic doesn't always apply to Pokemon...As mentioned, there are pokemon that their type doesn't make sense...Just like Inkay and Malimar are NOT even part water...Can we please stop with the belittling..especially about a Pokemon that we have NO info on besides hand drawn sketches...

Thank you so much! <3

DNA said:
By the way, being really involved in a discussion isn't being loud.
I'm aware. You're still being loud. I see no reason to pop into the discussion if you're just going to lambast anything that comes your way.

You say that you joined this forum to try and participate in discussions but you get shot down by older members here. On the flipside, I'm an older member here watching a new guy talk down to everybody. You think I want to be a part of this when I can't trust you peeps to behave yourselves?

I'm not sure why you use the word loud when it comes to this. I'm simply defending what I believe is a possibility.

It's funny how you say I'm the one that's lambasting everything that comes my way when you guys tried to make me feel like I'm the most ignorant person when I suggested a type that remains entirely possible.

Do I dare enter into this argument? Eh... I just want to say that Jakeremix was simply putting his own thoughts out there. This is a forum and that is what you are suppose to do. What you aren't suppose to do is make others, whose thoughts you do not agree with, feel ignorant, or not welcome (as if older members have more of a say then newer ones). It was just speculation that turned into an argument because Jakeremix felt forced to defend his idea. It could have been avoided if people weren't so aggressive, and more respectful, when disagreeing. (I mean if you look back, he was instantly shot down, and then later, assailed to prove how it could possibly be Ground).

Furthermore, close to nothing is known about this Pokemon. I don't see how one, reasonable, speculation could be more plausible than another (reasonable as in Grass/Ground versus Water/Ice).

Anyways, I for one am really hoping for the Grass/Ghost idea. That would be awesome! I am all for new combinations.

I wonder why it's taking us so long to see the real thing. Was that particular X/Y trailer only showed for one screening? Does nobody in Japan take cameraphones into theatres?

garbodorable said:
I wonder why it's taking us so long to see the real thing. Was that particular X/Y trailer only showed for one screening? Does nobody in Japan take cameraphones into theatres?

Crazy repercussions for getting caught with that.

Back