(1) New Tree-like Pokemon Before Genesect Film [7/13]

jstar21 said:
Jakeremix said:
In response to how all grass types should be ground as well... uh, no. A tree is different than regular plants or flowers.

Exactly how are trees different from other plants??? Maybe you should do some research into the Plant Kingdom and look up how scientists have divided plants into 5 different Phyla groups (the first division after grouping them all under Plant): Mosses, Ferns, Conifers, Flowering Decot and Flowering Monocot! (I didn't want to confuse anyone with the scientific names.) But back to the point, TREES fall under 3 of these groups (Ferns, Conifers and Flowering Decot!) so please don't try to make up things like saying trees are different from other plants and flowers when scientists say they aren't!

And no I'm not trying to be messed up to you or rude but I really don't like when people try to claim their own fake science as fact.

Science? I'm not bringing science into it. Trees are just much different smaller plants (most notably their size). Your saying that I'm trying to bring in my own "fake sciences" annoys me.

Whatever dude, I'm done! I refuse to continue my science lesson on plants as this discussion has gotten WAY far off topic! No point in continuing to bang my head against a wall.

Grass/Fairy won't happen (at least, I doubt it), and I think the only reason it was brought up was because fairy is brand new and you want to see more of it already.

I'm not insisting I'm right about ground, but what I am insisting is that it's a possibility. I'm not gonna be upset if it isn't ground... I just don't understand why you guys are so extremely turned off by the idea. Since I seem to be one of the few supporting it though, I guess I'll leave the topic alone and just hope that Oorotto is revealed soon.

jstar21 said:
Exactly how are trees different from other plants??? Maybe you should do some research into the Plant Kingdom and look up how scientists have divided plants into 5 different Phyla groups (the first division after grouping them all under Plant): Mosses, Ferns, Conifers, Flowering Decot and Flowering Monocot! (I didn't want to confuse anyone with the scientific names.)

Actually, I'm pretty sure there's 10, not 5. There are 3 big clades, though:

~Non-vascular (mosses)
~Vascular seedless (ferns)
~Vascular seeded
^This one can be subdivided into:
~Non-flowering woody plants (conifers and such)
~Flowering plants (Monocot and Dicot are both classes)

Science is FUN!!

But yes. Trees are not that different from flowering plants at all. Both of them produce seeds, which is considered the 'apex' of plant ability. I can see where you're getting the number 5 from, though.

DNA said:
jstar21 said:
Exactly how are trees different from other plants??? Maybe you should do some research into the Plant Kingdom and look up how scientists have divided plants into 5 different Phyla groups (the first division after grouping them all under Plant): Mosses, Ferns, Conifers, Flowering Decot and Flowering Monocot! (I didn't want to confuse anyone with the scientific names.)

Actually, I'm pretty sure there's 10, not 5. There are 3 big clades, though:

~Non-vascular (mosses)
~Vascular seedless (ferns)
~Vascular seeded
^This one can be subdivided into:
~Non-flowering woody plants (conifers and such)
~Flowering plants (Monocot and Dicot are both classes)

Science is FUN!!

But yes. Trees are not that different from flowering plants at all. Both of them produce seeds, which is considered the 'apex' of plant ability. I can see where you're getting the number 5 from, though.

It's great to learn...because knowledge is POWER!!! I'm just being silly, but in all seriousness we are really off topic here.

jstar21 said:
Whatever dude, I'm done! I refuse to continue my science lesson on plants as this discussion has gotten WAY far off topic! No point in continuing to bang my head against a wall.

Well you kinda just jumped in on the discussion and pointlessly gave us all this knowledge, and now you're acting like you've been here the entire time and I'M the stupid one?

I don't see why people immediately thought ground was a dumb idea, either. I can totally see a tree being grass/ground. I could see it having the ability to dig deep into the earth leaving only its upper, normal tree-like part exposed.

The strongest possibilities are probably pure grass or grass/dark, but grass/ground is as good a guess as any other type combo.

Bogleech said:
I don't see why people immediately thought ground was a dumb idea, either. I can totally see a tree being grass/ground. I could see it having the ability to dig deep into the earth leaving only its upper, normal tree-like part exposed.

The strongest possibilities are probably pure grass or grass/dark, but grass/ground is as good a guess as any other type combo.

You know, in the chaos of all the speculation, no one ever even considered it could be purely grass.

Sure, why not?

Jakeremix said:
jstar21 said:

Well you kinda just jumped in on the discussion and pointlessly gave us all this knowledge, and now you're acting like you've been here the entire time and I'M the stupid one?

No one ever called you stupid by the way, at least not me.

Also, yes I have been here the entire time. I actually posted before you made the post about it possibly being Ground/Ghost or Grass/Ground. I actually backed your Grass/Ground possibility as likely but though pure Grass would be more likely then that. (page 13 if you want to confirm that).

As I said though, I'm done with this debate.

Bogleech said:

That's true, the possibility of a grass/ground tree (basing the design off the roots) pokemon is high, and I'm actually surprised that there doesn't exist one already, but I don't think this is the case; after all, the one thing all sketches and descriptions of aulotte concur into is that:

1- is creepy looking
2-has spider-like (again, creepy bugs, in the broadest meaning of the word) legs/roots
3-seems tattered/old/scary

So beyond the "roots" there doesn't seem to be grounds for it to be a ground type (see what I did there?). All data AT THE MOMENT seems to point to grass (because is a tree with foliage, after all) and ghost or dark (depending of if it's inspiration is a haunted tree, halloween, or just some kind of malevolent vegetal creature).
The fairy type could be a possiblity, but we must remember that pokemon have been inspired in legends and mythical creatures since gen 1 without the existance of the fairy type, therefore, we must think twice before wantonly assigning the fairy type to anything when there could be other types more fitting to a given design. That doesen't mean the ent is not a inspiration, but nothing is necessarily linked to the fairy type, being as broad as it already proved to be (jigglypuff and marill ar not creatures of legend, while gardevoir is an elf and xerneas might be the incarnation of gaia or something along those lines).

professorlight said:
xerneas might be the incarnation of gaia or something along those lines).

Woah never thought of that. That could mean Yveltel (definitely spelled wrong) could be the incarnation of Uranus! Ok totally off topic sorry. But yeah I think Grass/Dark or Grass/Ghost makes the most sense RIGHT NOW. I wonder why more info hasn't been released...

half the thread agrees that the part ground has no basis whatsoever, being nothing on it's design points to it so yeah

that's over

but yeah there are different types of fairies besides cotton candy and cutesy plague doctor bird

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's not grass at all. It's even been pictured at some points without any leaves, and just because it has leaves doesn't make it grass. So at this point the following are really all of the possibilities (note that the primary and secondary typings may be off).

-Grass
-Grass/Ghost
-Grass/Dark
-Grass/Ground
-Dark/Ground
-Ghost/Ground

That's my list, anyway. I know it's pretty broad, but considering we know basically nothing about it, I think that's okay. As I noted before, the only reason fairy was brought up was because it's brand new and you guys want to see more of it already.

Jakeremix said:
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's not grass at all. It's even been pictured at some points without any leaves, and just because it has leaves doesn't make it grass. So at this point the following are really all of the possibilities (note that the primary and secondary typings may be off).

-Grass
-Grass/Ghost
-Grass/Dark
-Grass/Ground
-Dark/Ground
-Ghost/Ground

That's my list, anyway. I know it's pretty broad, but considering we know basically nothing about it, I think that's okay. As I noted before, the only reason fairy was brought up was because it's brand new and you guys want to see more of it already.

oh you're right it could just not be grass although they could make it fairy just so we know that not all fairies are cute

Jakeremix said:

-Grass
-Grass/Ghost
-Grass/Dark
-Grass/Ground
-Dark/Ground
-Ghost/Ground

I'm pretty sure it's gonna have a Grass type, whether pure, primary or secondary.
I mean, it's a tree for Arceus' sake. Why would a tree not have the no.1 typing that perfectly suits it? It would be like making Talonflame a pure Fire type when Fire/Flying is the no.1 obvious choice for it.

I'm pretty sketchy about it being a part Ground type as well; I mean, a tree that walks around. Not seems remotely ground in the slightest.
(and saying that it can plant it's roots in the ground is a horrible argument; that's like saying Carnivine should be a part Flying type because it floats)

And Fairy was not brought up because we want more Fairies; it's because Oorotto could be designed off of ents, which could very well be classified as a Fairy type.
(plus it would give the impression that fairies aren't always the cute pinkums and can have slightly creepy designs)

Jakeremix said:

-Grass
-Grass/Ghost
-Grass/Dark
-Grass/Ground
-Dark/Ground
-Ghost/Ground

*suggests ground when there is literally nothing pointing to ground anywhere on this creature, other than trees have roots (like almost every other plant why not make all plants grass/ground)
*takes out the grass part because somedesigns don't have leaves when it is still a tree

and no we were adding fairy type because it fits the description of a certain fairy, thank you

I've just realised something that could very easily make Oorotto a Grass/Ghost type.
It's name etymology.
It could be a combination of 'ooooh', root and rot.
Root obviously points to grass type, because it's a tree and trees have roots yadayadayada (and don't anyone dare mention that roots=ground type please, because they don't.)
Rot implies the wood has rotted, ie died.
Ooooh could be referring to stereotypical ghosts making the 'ooooh' sound.

ofcourse this is all from the English romanisation and I have no clue about Japanese so this point may not have any relevance or not.

(sorry if this has been brought up before)

P.DelSlayer said:
I've just realised something that could very easily make Oorotto a Grass/Ghost type.
It's name etymology.
Root obviously points to grass type, because it's a tree and trees have roots yadayadayada (and don't anyone dare mention that roots=ground type please, because they don't.)

ofcourse this is all from the English romanisation and I have no clue about Japanese so this point may not have any relevance or not.

If I'm not mistaken, the double o would not be pronounced like that; they would be regular long o's, closer to "row". Furret's Japanese name is Ootachi, or オオタチ, and that's kind of just be like... Pronouncing two o's in a row. To have the ooo sound, you'd need something with a u.
That's if "Oorotto" is a direct transliteration of its Japanese name, of course. Come to think of it, I haven't seen its name written in Japanese as far as I can remember. Still, I've also seen it as "Orotto" and "Aulotte", so there's probably no oooo-ing involved.

All of that aside though, I personally am hoping for Grass/Ghost anyways :y

xayshade said:
Jakeremix said:

-Grass
-Grass/Ghost
-Grass/Dark
-Grass/Ground
-Dark/Ground
-Ghost/Ground

*suggests ground when there is literally nothing pointing to ground anywhere on this creature, other than trees have roots (like almost every other plant why not make all plants grass/ground)
*takes out the grass part because somedesigns don't have leaves when it is still a tree

and no we were adding fairy type because it fits the description of a certain fairy, thank you

Just because YOU don't think that a certain type is possible doesn't mean we can't speculate while you're here. I joined this forum so I could express my ideas, but now I'm finding that they're only to be shot down by people like you.

I'm going to say this one more time. Just because a pokemon is based off of an object or something doesn't mean it's type always has to relate to what it's usually associated with. Hydreigon isn't flying even though it has wings. Sandile isn't water even though it's a crocodile. Elektross isn't water even though its design intended for it to swim (in Pokedex 3D it even has bubbles floating up around it).

P.DelSlayer said:
It's name etymology.

I don't think it's been brought up yet, but it's pretty interesting. I'd love for it to be Grass/Ghost rather than Grass/Dark, partly because of Chespin, and partly because I don't think we have that combination yet. It would be pretty awesome.

I really hope they introduce more pure ghosts in this generation as well.

The オー in オーロット is also found in the Japanese name of Wailord, which is ホエルオー (roughly said as 'Whaloh'). It corresponds to the word 王 (ou) which means 'king' or 'giant'. So Ourotto is basically a giant rotting tree. This can also tie back to the Ent idea.

(ロット is most likely just 'rot', but you guys already knew that.)

Edit: オー and 王 are both pronounced as a long O in English

Back