(1) New Tree-like Pokemon Before Genesect Film [7/13]

Jakeremix said:
xayshade said:
*suggests ground when there is literally nothing pointing to ground anywhere on this creature, other than trees have roots (like almost every other plant why not make all plants grass/ground)
*takes out the grass part because somedesigns don't have leaves when it is still a tree

and no we were adding fairy type because it fits the description of a certain fairy, thank you

Just because YOU don't think that a certain type is possible doesn't mean we can't speculate while you're here. I joined this forum so I could express my ideas, but now I'm finding that they're only to be shot down by people like you.

I'm going to say this one more time. Just because a pokemon is based off of an object or something doesn't mean it's type always has to relate to what it's usually associated with. Hydreigon isn't flying even though it has wings. Sandile isn't water even though it's a crocodile. Elektross isn't water even though its design intended for it to swim (in Pokedex 3D it even has bubbles floating up around it).

It's not that Grass/Ground is an impossible type, it's the fact you keep bringing up the same 'it has roots = it can plant itself in the ground = GROUND TYPE', which is a bad logic.
If there was an actual thing that could actually point to Ground as a real possibility, but there's nothing that could point to that, based on info we know.

for your examples:
Hydreigon = both its type slots are taken by much better types for it's theme, so it has Levitate.
Sandile = there's such a thing as different themes. We already have a Water crocodile, so they switched it up for the next one. Sandile is also partially based on a sandfish, a species of skink which can burrow into sand and swim.

(I think that Eelektross was supposed to be an Electric/Water, but then the designers thought that an Electric with Levitate would be cooler)

Since we don't have a tree at the mo, there's no real reason to have it as a diverting theme when there's no previous Pokemon to divert from.

edit: Has anyone got any knowledge of it using any moves in the footage it was shown in? because if it has, that's always good to have with type speculation.
And based on previous things, it's possible that we'll see this trailer ourselves (featuring Oorotto), and us all knowing its appearance helps.

I'm still strong on Grass/Ghost.
(altho I wish we had this typing last gen, with a Water/Ghost and a Fire/Ghost it would've made a nice trio, all the starter types having a /ghost line)

P.DelSlayer said:
Jakeremix said:
Just because YOU don't think that a certain type is possible doesn't mean we can't speculate while you're here. I joined this forum so I could express my ideas, but now I'm finding that they're only to be shot down by people like you.

I'm going to say this one more time. Just because a pokemon is based off of an object or something doesn't mean it's type always has to relate to what it's usually associated with. Hydreigon isn't flying even though it has wings. Sandile isn't water even though it's a crocodile. Elektross isn't water even though its design intended for it to swim (in Pokedex 3D it even has bubbles floating up around it).

It's not that Grass/Ground is an impossible type, it's the fact you keep bringing up the same 'it has roots = it can plant itself in the ground = GROUND TYPE', which is a bad logic.
If there was an actual thing that could actually point to Ground as a real possibility, but there's nothing that could point to that, based on info we know.

for your examples:
Hydreigon = both its type slots are taken by much better types for it's theme, so it has Levitate.
Sandile = there's such a thing as different themes. We already have a Water crocodile, so they switched it up for the next one. Sandile is also partially based on a sandfish, a species of skink which can burrow into sand and swim.

(I think that Eelektross was supposed to be an Electric/Water, but then the designers thought that an Electric with Levitate would be cooler)

Since we don't have a tree at the mo, there's no real reason to have it as a diverting theme when there's no previous Pokemon to divert from.

edit: Has anyone got any knowledge of it using any moves in the footage it was shown in? because if it has, that's always good to have with type speculation.
And based on previous things, it's possible that we'll see this trailer ourselves (featuring Oorotto), and us all knowing its appearance helps.

I'm still strong on Grass/Ghost.
(altho I wish we had this typing last gen, with a Water/Ghost and a Fire/Ghost it would've made a nice trio, all the starter types having a /ghost line)

I'm strong on Grass/Ghost as well.

I understand that you guys don't see much support for it being ground type... But then what kind of traits are ground-types supposed to have, exactly? Their brown color scheme?

Jakeremix said:
xayshade said:
*suggests ground when there is literally nothing pointing to ground anywhere on this creature, other than trees have roots (like almost every other plant why not make all plants grass/ground)
*takes out the grass part because somedesigns don't have leaves when it is still a tree

and no we were adding fairy type because it fits the description of a certain fairy, thank you

It seems as though we joined for the same reasons. However, I seem to remember you yourself shooting down my Grass/Fairy idea. I didn't bring it up because I'm one of those Fairy fanboys (although Dragon types HAVE been a pain in my behind as of late). I just brought up the fact that, just based on all the fanart, this creature looks like an ent, which kinda-sorta goes in the same category as Fairy.

I kinda get your logic about how trees get energy from the ground, but that applies to all plants, not just trees. The only other Grass/Ground Pokemon, Torterra, may have a tree on him, but it appears as though the roots are inside its body, implying the tree gets energy from Torterra itself, not the actual ground.

I believe that the main characteristic of a Ground type is that the creature itself is made of the same stuff as the ground below it.

Jakeremix said:
I understand that you guys don't see much support for it being ground type... But then what kind of traits are ground-types supposed to have, exactly? Their brown color scheme?

Ground types are often things that live in caves and/or underground, or are otherwise kinda... soily. Or sandy.
Like, Hippowdon is a Ground type because it has sand blood. Sandshrew's a Ground type because it lives in a subterranean environment and probably adapts traits from it.
Torterra is I think because of its shell? I know there's a PokeDex entry that mentions Turtwig's shell is made of soil.

As far as anyone knows, there's nothing like that about Oorotto. All we know is that it's a spidery, spooky tree. Hell, it could even end up being Grass/Bug d:

Frezgle said:
Jakeremix said:

Ground types are often things that live in caves and/or underground, or are otherwise kinda... soily. Or sandy.
Like, Hippowdon is a Ground type because it has sand blood. Sandshrew's a Ground type because it lives in a subterranean environment and probably adapts traits from it.
Torterra is I think because of its shell? I know there's a PokeDex entry that mentions Turtwig's shell is made of soil.

As far as anyone knows, there's nothing like that about Oorotto. All we know is that it's a spidery, spooky tree. Hell, it could even end up being Grass/Bug d:

But then what about Mamoswine, Gliscor, Flygon, Golurk, ect.? I like that they're ground, but I don't see what traits they have that classify them as ground... I mean, Gliscor and Flygon even fly!

slashman41 said:
However, I seem to remember you yourself shooting down my Grass/Fairy idea. I didn't bring it up because I'm one of those Fairy fanboys (although Dragon types HAVE been a pain in my behind as of late). I just brought up the fact that, just based on all the fanart, this creature looks like an ent, which kinda-sorta goes in the same category as Fairy.

I never shot it down. Don't get me wrong, I'd be completely fine if it was part fairy (I hardly ever complain about pokemon), but I'm just not hoping for it. It seems kinda strange to me, especially when you consider what it looks like when using Moonblast or Fairy Wind. The upside is that it goes against the fairies that have already been revealed.

Jakeremix said:
Frezgle said:

But then what about Mamoswine, Gliscor, Flygon, Golurk, ect.? I like that they're ground, but I don't see what traits they have that classify them as ground... I mean, Gliscor and Flygon even fly!

slashman41 said:
However, I seem to remember you yourself shooting down my Grass/Fairy idea. I didn't bring it up because I'm one of those Fairy fanboys (although Dragon types HAVE been a pain in my behind as of late). I just brought up the fact that, just based on all the fanart, this creature looks like an ent, which kinda-sorta goes in the same category as Fairy.

I never shot it down. Don't get me wrong, I'd be completely fine if it was part fairy (I hardly ever complain about pokemon), but I'm just not hoping for it. It seems kinda strange to me, especially when you consider what it looks like when using Moonblast or Fairy Wind. The upside is that it goes against the fairies that have already been revealed.

Golurk is made from clay, as golems are,

Flygon is made after an antlion, and makes sandstorms with its wings. It is even designed for sandstorms, check its glasses. And Flygon flies just as much as Hydreigon, and neither are flying type.

Gliscor is a desert scorpion but that's actually a good example other than its evo is ground/flying. Plus Gliscor doesn't fly, he glides

Mamoswine and his evo's dig into the earth to look for food

Jakeremix said:
slashman41 said:

correct me if I'm wrong, but you said that we only wanted it as Fairy because we were Fairy fanboys and wanted everything to be fairy, without providing a logical reason as to why it shouldn't be Grass/Fairy.
seems like shooting it down to me.

P.DelSlayer said:
Jakeremix said:

correct me if I'm wrong, but you said that we only wanted it as Fairy because we were Fairy fanboys and wanted everything to be fairy, without providing a logical reason as to why it shouldn't be Grass/Fairy.

How is that shooting it down? I didn't downright say it was a stupid idea, and never once did I say you guys were fairy fanboys...

Lex said:
What about Phanpy, Donphan, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Numel, etc?

Exactly. Oorotto has more of a reason to partly ground than quite a few pokemon that already have a ground typing.

P.DelSlayer said:

Jakeremix said:
[...]That's my list, anyway. I know it's pretty broad, but considering we know basically nothing about it, I think that's okay. As I noted before, the only reason fairy was brought up was because it's brand new and you guys want to see more of it already.

I'm still waiting for Jake to calm down and lower his volume.

Jakeremix said:
P.DelSlayer said:

How is that shooting it down? I didn't downright say it was a stupid idea, and never once did I say you guys were fairy fanboys...

Lex said:
What about Phanpy, Donphan, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Numel, etc?

Exactly. Oorotto has more of a reason to partly ground than quite a few pokemon that already have a ground typing.

don't worry I got this
Donphan and phanpy are based on tires and the paths they leave in the ground, and also Elephants that live in a dry, dusty, ground type environment

Numel and Camerupt are volcanoes and molten rock

Nidoking and Nidoqueen are based on rhinos like the ground type Rhydon family, and have been known to cause tons of damage and pierce diamonds

Come on gimme more

You aint said nothing yet. only thing that kinda stuck me was gliscor and gligar

xayshade said:
Jakeremix said:

don't worry I got this
Donphan and phanpy are based on tires and the paths they leave in the ground, and also Elephants that live in a dry, dusty, ground type environment

Nidoking and Nidoqueen are based on rhinos like the ground type Rhydon family, and have been known to cause tons of damage and pierce diamonds

Come on gimme more

You aint said nothing yet. only thing that kinda stuck me was gliscor and gligar

Are you honestly saying that they have more of a reason to be ground then Oorotto? At this point you're just being a troll.

DNA said:
P.DelSlayer said:

Jakeremix said:
[...]That's my list, anyway. I know it's pretty broad, but considering we know basically nothing about it, I think that's okay. As I noted before, the only reason fairy was brought up was because it's brand new and you guys want to see more of it already.

I'm still waiting for Jake to calm down and lower his volume.

There's a difference between what I said regarding fairy and how Xay reacted when I mentioned ground. PLUS, I just said that I'd be fine with it being part fairy, but I'm just not hoping for it.

By the way, being really involved in a discussion isn't being loud.

xayshade said:
Jakeremix said:

don't worry I got this

Come on gimme more

So if the real live animal that the Pokemon is based off of lives in a dusty environment or lives underground, or lives in the mud, or basks on land it's a reasonable Ground type? But not trees that have roots underground.

Causing a lot of damage isn't that big of a reason (nor being similar to Pokemon species of another type). Also, Numel and Camerupt being based off of molten rock would make it Rock type, I think it's Ground because it's a camel and camels live in the desert (which furthers my case actually).

(if anyone brings up the fact that this tree can walk, so far the basis for it being a Ground type was not where the Pokemon lived but where its real live counterpart lived)

Lex said:
So if the real live animal that the Pokemon is based off of lives in a dusty environment or lives underground, or lives in the mud, or basks on land it's a reasonable Ground type? But not trees that have roots underground.

Causing a lot of damage isn't that big of a reason (nor being similar to Pokemon species of another type). Also, Numel and Camerupt being based off of molten rock would make it Rock type, I think it's Ground because it's a camel and camels live in the desert (which furthers my case actually).

(if anyone brings up the fact that this tree can walk, so far the basis for it being a Ground type was not where the Pokemon lived but where its real live counterpart lived)

Oh my gosh, thank you!

Lex said:
xayshade said:
don't worry I got this

Come on gimme more

you know what else has a connection to volcanos and is ground? he was a legendary, gen 3 I think, look him up

And the only thing that connect tree to the earth is the roots, which is a reason why Grass has an advantage over ground, nothing else.

Those examples that actively interact with the ground and mud giving them a solid connection, All trees grow in the ground? therefore having roots in ground is not solid argument. Those environments are usually dry, dusty, sandstorms, muddy, extremely hot, and the mud is needed to keep cool. Trees just suck the nutrients, and grow most anywhere besides deserts, like forests (grass) mangroves (water) snowy areas (ice), but they all come out the ground

By the way, being really involved in a discussion isn't being loud.
I'm aware. You're still being loud. I see no reason to pop into the discussion if you're just going to lambast anything that comes your way.

You say that you joined this forum to try and participate in discussions but you get shot down by older members here. On the flipside, I'm an older member here watching a new guy talk down to everybody. You think I want to be a part of this when I can't trust you peeps to behave yourselves?

I am greatly hoping that Orotto will be the First Grass/Ghost. It's clearly a Grass-type, and I love unique typings, so... why not :p

xayshade said:
Lex said:

you know what else has a connection to volcanos and is ground? he was a legendary, gen 3 I think, look him up

And the only thing that connect tree to the earth is the roots, which is a reason why Grass has an advantage over ground, nothing else.

Those examples that actively interact with the ground and mud giving them a solid connection, All trees grow in the ground? therefore having roots in ground is not solid argument. Those environments are usually dry, dusty, sandstorms, muddy, extremely hot, and the mud is needed to keep cool. Trees just suck the nutrients, and grow most anywhere besides deserts, like forests (grass) mangroves (water) snowy areas (ice), but they all come out the ground

I don't understand how you can sit there and say a tree doesn't have a good reason for being a ground type, yet you support all the previously named pokemon that are already ground. Most of those have horrible explanations. Donphan being based on a tire? Nidoking and Nidoqueen can pierce diamonds?

Ohhh yeah, ground sounds much more reasonable for them, but not a FLIPPING TREE. -sarcasm-

ok bruh

Jakeremix said:
xayshade said:

I don't understand how you can sit there and say a tree doesn't have a good reason for being a ground type, yet you support all the previously named pokemon that are already ground. Most of those have horrible explanations. Donphan being based on a tire? Nidoking and Nidoqueen can pierce diamonds?

Ohhh yeah, ground sounds much more reasonable for them, but not a FLIPPING TREE. -sarcasm-

lets say that to all the tree pokemon that have ground types as a secondary type, since they have so much to do with it and ground would be the obvious second type

*looks at torterra that has whole ecosystem not a tree*
*looks at you*

And Nidoking and Nidoqueen were pulled straight from Bulba pedia don't believe me look it up

OHMIGOSH ITS AN EEPHANT THAT CURLS INTO A TIRE WITH DARK BLUE TREAD WHAT ELSE ROLLS AROUND LIKE A WHEEL WITH BLACK TREAD WHAT I ASK YOU

xayshade said:
ok bruh

Jakeremix said:

lets say that to all the tree pokemon that have ground types as a secondary type, since they have so much to do with it and ground would be the obvious second type

*looks at torterra that has whole ecosystem not a tree*
*looks at you*

I have no clue what point you're trying to make.

Back