(1) First BW5 'Dragon Blade / Dragon Blast' Cards Revealed! [2/2]

Mudkip4321

Happiness Is A Free Bucket Of PB Cookies~
I LOVE Hydreigon's insane artwork on both cards. It really shows that the Pokemon has no control of it's power. Also, the Ninetails is beautiful, just as I predicted. (Rosereade's isn't half bad either.) I think that this set is gonna be Awesome!!! If only I could buy Japanese Cards... :p

Kaiser Dynamo

I Hate Fairies...
5ban graphics has done well with Hydreigon and Garchomp. The other less playable Hydreigon and Garchomp aren't too bad with artwork. I remember someone saying Hydreigon and Garchomp would be EX, and he was 100% sure about it. Yeah, no their not.

Ophie

Aspiring Trainer
When you see the attack "Destroy Beam," does anyone else think of Destroyman from No More Heroes?

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Whoa. I like that first Garchomp. The artwork on these are pretty nice. Haha, Bright Look returns!

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Videoland said:
Its kinda a shame that Hydreigon isn't dark. If it was, it could've done up to 80 damage with sp. dark energy (100 with Altaria) and healed 80 (or 100) with its attack! :p

But if it was Dark, it wouldn't be able to benefit from Altaria's ability (since it only applies for dragon-types):p. We can't have it all. Now would be a great time for PCL to bring back dual-type cards... Dual Dark/Dragon Hydreigon would be great for these combos...

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Metalizard said:
But if it was Dark, it wouldn't be able to benefit from Altaria's ability (since it only applies for dragon-types):p. We can't have it all. Now would be a great time for PCL to bring back dual-type cards... Dual Dark/Dragon Hydreigon would be great for these combos...

I forgot about that too when I mentioned something about Hydreigon being Dark. Ha ha. (But it would still benefit from Darkness Claw and Special Darks.) And yeah, dual types would be pretty neat to bring back. =)

dBlue

Madness!

These cards are extremely cool, and are very playable. What's that trainer card (the non-rarecandy one)?

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
the article said:
Yes, it looks like Devolution Spray from Base Set is returning, though the text is too small to read to see if it is exactly the same card as before.

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Oh, thank god Devour =/= the Durant version of it. I was worried that since it was on a Stage 2 it would say something like, "for each of your Hydregion in play, discard the top card of your opponent's deck."

Although, given the trends lately, I should have guessed that a Stage 2 would have a worse attack than a Basic.

Who would have thought there would be a format where a Bright Look reprint is practically unplayable. Hopefully this is a sign there won't be any more Catcher reprints though.

CFOURCOLTSFAN

Aspiring Trainer
So i'm still awaiting what the new durant does, maybe it's a water type that does 60 damage for one damage and is resistance to fire? the ultimate heatmor ain't gonna get there card :p

nothing broken...yet..although tbh we have to wait and see what dragon energy does b/4 we make complete judgements on these cards.

EeveeLv99

YouTube, Twitter, Xbox live: HangmanSwingset
Huh. I don't have the time to read all the comment posts, so I may get inb4'ed on this:

Our current Hydreigon (the dark one) has an ability where all energy attached to it is [D], and the [N] type one lets you move any [D] Energy around... so would you be able to move say... A DCE attached to the [D] type Hydreigon since it's converted to dark energy? Not sure if I see any valid use for such a strategy, but I'm just wondering if the mechanic would work that way, given the translation is 100% accurate.
It may not even work, as the ability says '[D] Energy CARD'

Sevus

Aspiring Trainer
EeveeLv99 said:
Huh. I don't have the time to read all the comment posts, so I may get inb4'ed on this:

Our current Hydreigon (the dark one) has an ability where all energy attached to it is [D], and the [N] type one lets you move any [D] Energy around... so would you be able to move say... A DCE attached to the [D] type Hydreigon since it's converted to dark energy? Not sure if I see any valid use for such a strategy, but I'm just wondering if the mechanic would work that way, given the translation is 100% accurate.
It may not even work, as the ability says '[D] Energy CARD'

Umm...

If [D] Energy Card is the proper translation, then no. It works like Energy Trans.

If [D] Energy is the proper translation, then yes, you can shift an energy that is being treated as [D] by Hydreigon's ability, though I don't believe you'd be able to shift a Double Colorless Energy since that's moving two units of energy. And Pokémon can be pedantic like that.

Unfallible

im more perfecter then u :P
ROFL at Ninetales. Can you believe that Bright Look was the most sought after power in the format a year ago?

Blakexd9

poek is pret good
Does Altaria's Ability mean 20 extra damage for Dragon Types only?
I like Gabite. It would be VERY useful early game.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Blakexd9 said:
Does Altaria's Ability mean 20 extra damage for Dragon Types only?

Yes. It says "As long as this Pokemon is in play, your [N] Pokemon's attacks do 20 more damage." [N] being Dragon.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
capt.penguin said:
And why don't any of these have a dragon energy cost for an attack.

At this point, it seems likely that Dragon Energy will not be a traditional energy type but rather some form of rainbow energy that only works for Dragon types, like how Prism Energy is only a rainbow energy for basics. Only time will tell, of course, but all signs of the cards we've seen so far point toward that.

Xous

Disappear to a place beyond seeing...
capt.penguin said:
Why on earth does Hydragon have a psychic cost.

They seem to pick most Dragons' Energy Type costs based on their color (or at least the color of their final stage of evolution). For example, two of Garchomp's main colors are blue and orange so it has Water / Fighting as its costs. Altaria is blue and white, so it has Water / Metal (Metal being used because they probably needed something else for white other than Colorless). Salamence and Druddigon's main colors are blue and red, so they have Water and Fire costs. Dragonite has Electric / Grass because of its main skin color and its green wings. Latias has Psychic because it's one of its base types and Fire because of its red coloration. (Latios has Water because of its blue coloration.)

So in this case, although they could have gone with Dark / Water to match Hydreigon's black and blue colors, they chose Dark / Psychic to match its black and purple / pinkish colors.