(1) First BW5 'Dragon Blade / Dragon Blast' Cards Revealed! [2/2]

I'll wait for more confirmed translations before I get excited, but I'm REALLY glad to see how many Abilities there are in this set. We had like two in Emerging Powers. Hopefully they're starting to make less filler now.

The first Garchomp seems moderately playable. However, I shivered a little when I saw that Salamance's attack is called "Devour". Lol.

This art is so much more better than the mini sets.
Bravo....I await an epic illustration from Mitsuhiro Arita in this set.

Like Celebi, I also did shiver when I saw that Hydreigon (not Salamence) had "Devour".

Altaria looks like it could work in Dragon decks, providing that there is a playable Dragon.

Hopefully Roserade has a good ability. I don't think we've ever gotten a playable one.

Sheesh, Nintendo must really like Ninetales. First they give it the Drought ability, and now it could possibly have Luxray GL Lv.X's power. Granted, its not on a basic this time, so it'll be harder to abuse.

So, Garchomp still seems to be the dragon with the better cards this gen (well, maybe until the Flygon cards is revealed, that is)...
I can't help but start making some predictions already:
Pokémon-EX: Rayquaza, Giratina (obvious), the Lati@s (kind obvious too), and maybe Suicune and Thundurus to complement Dark Rush (I don't think they will only have Dragon-type EXs)... Plus, since Altaria and Garchomp are on the same set, and Altaria is #37 and Garchomp is #40, with Rayquaza-EX in the mix and probably one of the Latis, I think only the half decks will have Gibles, Gabites, Deinos and Zweilous... just a possibility...

Sheesh, Nintendo must really like Ninetales. First they give it the Drought ability, and now it could possibly have Luxray GL Lv.X's power. Granted, its not on a basic this time, so it'll be harder to abuse.
Are you SURE about that? You aren't allowed to Level-Up a Basic Pokemon, which means that Luxray GL had to be Active. Bench-sitter Ninetales, anyone?

Roserade's effect looks like it's along the lines of "If heads, this attack does 20 more damage and the Defending Pokemon is now Paralyzed." I see the word "mahi" in bold, which iirc refers to the Paralysis status condition.

As far as the cards themselves...hmm, they look pretty cool. I wonder what Devolution Spray will portend, though. Before it devolved one of your own Pokemon. Maybe that'll change to one of your opponent's?
Or maybe this is Hyper Devolution Spray (which did have an effect on an opponent's Pokemon)?

also, dat garchomp. {F} for 60! Wait, we have Donphan already >.<

DNA said:
Roserade's effect looks like it's along the lines of "If heads, this attack does 20 more damage and the Defending Pokemon is now Paralyzed." I see the word "mahi" in bold, which iirc refers to the Paralysis status condition.

Good eyes, I didn't manage to spot that. It might also be that it does 50 damage with heads, and 30 with paralysis from tails.

DorianBlack said:
Good eyes, I didn't manage to spot that. It might also be that it does 50 damage with heads, and 30 with paralysis from tails.
That could also be a possibility. I'm by no means a Japanese pro so I'll have to bow to someone else's wisdom on the matter of exactly what the attack effect is.

DNA said:
That could also be a possibility. I'm by no means a Japanese pro so I'll have to bow to someone else's wisdom on the matter of exactly what the attack effect is.

That was actually the breakthrough I needed. It is indeed the former: heads = 50 damage and paralysis. Thanks for the help! :) I'll let WPM know.

These cards are pretty awesome. Although because they are Japanese it is hard to look at the cards thoroughly because they are hard to see all the details. I imagine it was the way they were posted or it could be the holofoil glare XD.:)

The artwork is awesome. If there was a way for that Hydreigon to not be crazy slow and not have a terrible drawback, I would so make a fun deck with it. Cause like, 140 damage is cool. But that Garchomp seems fun. I mean, 100 for two energies is okay...

I can translate Gabite.

Ability: Dragon Call.
You may use this Ability once during your turn. Search your deck for a [N] Pokemon, show it to your opponent, and put it in your hand.

Thinking something on the lines of 4-3-3 Garchomp, 3-3 Altaria...

Minor minor error, you've got Roserade as a stage 2 in the spoilers :) She is, of course, a Stage 1.

D.N.A said:
Minor minor error, you've got Roserade as a stage 2 in the spoilers :) She is, of course, a Stage 1.

Ah, you're right there. I'm not experienced with the TCG, so I didn't remember how it handles "baby" Pokémon.

Give me Devolution Spray now. I want to Sporeprise over and over til it isn't sporeprising anymore.

Also, still praying for a good special dragon energy. These energy costs are obnoxious.

Garchomp + Starmie combo? Cheap, quick kills? Maybe chuck in Kyurem to damage the bench first, then bring out Starmie and Garchomp to kill of the rest...

Are the Hydro/Gar from the decks some sort of reverse holo? It kind of looks like it but I'd have thought they'd have raved about them if they were.

And I just realized that if the art is supposed to be set in the League/N's castle like it was when they first announced, they've skip quite a lot of the game from Dark Rush (Twist Mountain/That one annoying electric cave); Including the two areas in the game specifically for dragons.

So there's a new Garchomp that's the closest thing to a playable Dragon type, and a Pokémon that has Bright Look as an Ability in the same set. I don't care if they aren't Basic, or if they don't do the Abilities/Attacks: Wow.

Loving the artwork on that Ninetales, though. Shame if it was done by 5ban Graphics, since it's so overused.

EDIT: Looking again, Hydregion does have some playability.

Devolution Spray x4 + Catcher x4 + Junk Arm x4 + Heavy Hitter = Deck :p

Loving the artwork on these, although all these stage 2's are already making me cautious of this set. Will have to see what more comes out to decide.

Roserade's ability:
This ability can use when you use this card from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon. Search your deck for any 1 card, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

(I have clicked delete...)

Back