Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Wow all these EXs. Really like how they look.

Golem-EX is interesting.

I'm a little mad Clemont probably won't get a Full Art

Very curious as to how these will be released in English since BREAKpoint can't have all of them

I see Eeveelution Collection boxes coming

Interesting news! Froakie looks pretty cute and Suicune has nice art. Does anyone else think that Ninetales-EX looks a little off? That is, its face has sort of a bootleg art quality. Most of the EX cards are what I would expect from these kinds of decks...not bad, but on the whole not quite on par with main the main expansion series. Olympia seems kind of interesting to me. Before I clicked to see the card, I had no idea who it was (oh, those unmemorable XY gym leaders). The Special Water energy is...better than nothing I suppose...maybe a useful way to keep down card count, particularly in stage 1 and 2 decks?
And, this is such a minor trifle and a personal thing, but I so prefer when the EX cards have original (i.e. not from the video games) attack names, which some here do, but some don't. :-(

I get a Vaporeon EX! I can put it in my Pidgeot EX deck... If I had one!

Why is Vaporeon so fat? 3 energy retreat is huge. Its also 130- too. Why is the card so bad. Oh well, I'll still play it.

That Ninetales looks like it got hit in the face by a train... Not like there isn't a HD Ninetales 3D model being used for Pokken Tournament or anything that looks good...

Last edited:
I just ... I can't even! I-I need a minute. I don't care the cost. LEAFEON-EX!! Soon all of my favorite Pokemon will be in EX form :) I registered because of this news :)

I'm going to say it, the mouth on ninetails ex is bugging me a lot. it just doesn't look right, aside from that, it's a beautiful card

The special water energy does not seem to me to be that valuable, except to return Manaphy EX to your hand when it inevitably gets lysandred up and KOd.

Manaphy-EX – Water – HP120
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Aqua Cube
Each of your Pokemon that has any [W] Energy attached to it has no Retreat Cost.

[W][W] Mineral Pump: 60 damage. Heal 30 HP from each of your Benched Pokemon.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

When I saw Leafeon is getting an EX card, I fell into a coma. What...What year is it?
We are in year 3876 :p

I like most of the artworks, except for Ninetales and Manaphy. Ninetales looks too crammed up in that artwork, and I think it would've been better had it been in a pose similar to one of the Eeveelutions, instead of having head, tail, chest fur and a teeny tiny leg coming out of the artwork. Manaphy is just no. I can't even with this one. It just looks too "cute and cartoony." Maybe it would've been better if Manaphy had just a little texture, instead of being smooth and "wrinkle free." :/
Love the Suicune artwork though, it's beautiful! :D

My Favorite card in this bunch, surprisingly is the Olympia card. My reasoning is that a supporter type switch that can be taken back out with VS seeker is a great asset for certain decks, and can be used to dodge the notorious Item lock strategies. 30 damage healing might be kind of low, but any little bit could count in a tight match.

splash energy seems like it would be a great way to conserve special energy. that being said it is already a special energy so that makes things a bit awkward.. either way, perhaps there are water types that can make use of splash and DCE. It makes me miserable to say it but I can see a synergy with Seismitoad EX (ugh....) conserving DCEs since it also prevents hammers. (please delete this boring pokemon already)

i was really excited for the idea that ninetales would be able to flare bonus and discard a burning energy, triggering its effect to reattach it from the discard to itself while also drawing 3 cards- but then i remembered that it isnt a fire energy card when it isnt attached to a pokemon :( oh well

Suicune! I knew Suicune would be in the set!
Wow, Ninetales EX is beautiful :p
Those Promo Mewtwo's look so cool too
Froakie only gets +10 HP when he evolves o_O

Last edited:
Wow... None of these new EXs really stand out to me as great cards. Ninetales seems to be the best out of them. Just attach that new special fire energy (that I can't remember the name of) and you won't even have to worry about discarding. Meowstic's ability is great but it just completely sucks with that attack.

Art wise, Ninetales takes the prize. Jolteon is a close second.

I wonder how these are gonna be released in the US. If they're going into sets, I hope they make full art versions of them.

Back